Page 55 of 133 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 105 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 3986

Thread: Building Curves

tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Congrats! I had just assumed that you wouldn't cut water, since it was a last minute meet. nice job on getting everything to work out, even if you had to force some of the pieces into place. I love the bench video angle - not sure that I've seen it recorded like that before.

I can't believe the guy is not going to turn the records in. Ugh. how frustrating. At least you've got the meet in October coming up.

Are you planning on changing any of the training plans as a result of this meet? Or do you feel you're right on track?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172554141

RSP Nutrition Lead Rep jpfaherty's Avatar
    jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Awesome write up!

I felt like I went through hell and back with you!

You better bring it in October!
    ★★★ RSP Nutrition Lead Representative ★★★

High Quality Supplements For All Your Goals

RSP Nutrition Store:
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/ store/rsp-nutrition.html

★★★ Live Inspired ★★★
    http://www.rspnutrition.com/

jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ilovethe80s View Post
    Had my meet today but I have to first post about the harrowing weight cutting experience I had yesterday. My weight to start was around 137. I have cut from 140 before no problem.

Did the water load and that had me at 134.5. I went back and forth between treadmill and sweltering attic in the garbage bags and sweats for hours, losing like .1 every 20 minutes. Finally, at 5:30 I'm still .5lbs over, I'm drained to the point I can't even speak. I was so close to quitting, was on autopilot, just forcing myself through it again and again, seemed like it would never happen, then finally made weight at 132.2 ( I think 132.3 is the cutoff) at 6:30PM (weigh ins were till 7:30).

I drove like grandma on the way there so I'm sure its my own damn fault that I got rear ended! I call my husband and you'd think he'd be like 'wtf did you do to the car' but his only inquisition is 'omg are you going to make weigh in??' lol. I got there late but they were there thank goodness.

Luckily, it was a female doing the weigh in. I weighed in in shorts/t-shirt at 134. I knew stripping down wasn't going to give me 2 pounds, did anyway, and 133.4. I wanted to cry. The girl there was so nice, she's like 'did you bring your running shoes?'. I did, I always do, but I was so out of it I grabbed my matflexes! Awesome arch support (not). I didn't think I had an ounce of fight left in me. I wanted to badly to tell her I couldn't do it, there was nothing left. But I laced up, threw on a hoodie, and hit the road with a heavy heart, I didn't think it was going to happen.

I am not conditioned for any sort of running, but I ran as best I could for 20 minutes, I was so dead my hands were banging into my feet, starving, wanted to drink the puddles. I was sure it wasn't enough, but I dragged myself back in, stripped down, stepped on the scale and made it at 132 on the dot.

Now it is like 8:30PM, I down pedialyte and start popping sushi in the car. The first bite I take, my throat and roof of my mouth instantly swell up and I can't swallow. Allergic reaction?! This happens with kiwi, not sure why it is happening now. I can't swallow, but no asphyxiation (so far) so we're good. Well, not good, but alive.

By the time I got home, I could not stomach any food. Husband was trying to force feed me sweet potatoes but I literally couldn't eat it, just chewing the food, not swallowing and trying not to barf. He was pouring gatorade in me like rocky, and my calves started cramping like labor pains, then my shins. My foot couldn't get out of this mangled position, and stomach was cramping so I couldn't stand up straight. He alternated ice and heat on my shins and tried rotating my ankles for me, every muscle was now seizing up. Then I got really nauseuos and barfed up all the liquid I just worked so hard to put down.

At night, I had to get up to pee every few minutes, and when I did, everything felt VERY heavy, and out of touch. I was slamming into walls and stomping though I didn't mean to. At this point, I was thinking of withdrawing from the meet.

In the early morning, I drank another gallon, forced down a small meal, foam rolled (cramps were gone but VERY stiff, and I had shinsplints) and took some empty bar/ broomstick squats - which was a very good idea. My beginning squats were so horrid, I don't think I would have been able to work through that there.

Ok so there was my weigh-in sob story, meet report is next.
    Meet Report - APA

Squat:
    1st attempt: 225
    Felt very light, as did all of the warm-ups. I have a bad habit of getting nervous and rushing my setup, and as part of that, losing all lat tightness. Squat goal for this meet was to learn how to channel the nerves into lat tightness, and it went great

2nd attempt: 245
    also felt like nothing. I wrapped my own knees for the meet and it was a good move, it helped with some of the nervous (potentially spastic) energy.

3rd attempt: 260 (20lb Meet PR)
    My technique was way off, I kind of rushed it and over-corrected my usual failure point by pushing backward more than I needed to, but it went up ok.
    This matched my gym best. After the night I had, I wasn't into going for a PR-PR.

Bench:
    Due to a truncated training cycle, i thought my bench was going to be in worse shape than it actually was.

Opener: 150
    Smooth sailing

2nd Attempt: 155
    Super Easy

3rd Attempt: 160 MISS
    I don't know what the heck got into me. It was going up just fine, not hard at all, but in the top 2/3, I decided to shoot the bar way over my stomach. It would have been fine and was going up so easy, I don't know why I did that. Still ok with it though because I know 160+ would be fine had I not been stuck on stupid

Deadlift:
    Opener: 335
    A bit of cns shock as always. No matter what my opener is, it always looks and feels terrible.

2nd attempt: 365 (5lb meet PR)
    I was a little nervous because I look forward to the whippy bar at meets, and from what I understood, this was just a regular bar. Still went up though.

3rd attempt: 375 (miss)
    By this point, I was DONE. I could feel it. I've been fiddlef*king around on my squat for so long, I've never had to account for actually being tired from it. Between that and the previous 365 pull, and the food/hydration issues, there was just nothing left to give.

Total: 780@132. I am actually the most proud of this total than any of my other meets. Not because the total is higher, but because between weigh-ins, the horrible night before, and how I felt meet day, there were so many times I just wanted to quit. And if I actually wasn't able to make weight and had to compete in the 148's, it still would have been an elite total for the 148's. Considering that my first meet, almost 2 years ago, I totaled 555 @ 148, that's progress. That is a 225lb gain so far, at a lighter bodyweight.

For rankings, ugh, he said he does not turn them in because he is too busy, and he doesn't like the new staff over at pl'ing watch, etc etc. That would have ranked me at #7 for overall total. This is the 2nd time I made top 10 (one of my goals for the year) but it didn't rank, so must bring it in October!
    Bump these for ya! New page

RSP Nutrition Store:

★★★ Live Inspired ★★★

beatha is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beatha is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beatha is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beatha is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beatha is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beatha is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beatha is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beatha is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beatha is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beatha is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beatha is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Good Job at the meet 80's. Solid performance despite having a rough last min wt cut : ouch :

Btw you can submit your own records, new big green button on the current lists page, form lets you provide all the info including a link to vid & the fed's website posting of the results as documentation (not sure if required). Did you noticed site changed to the list top 20 only? Meh. I'm personally not appreciating that change at the moment lol

Anyways congrats again.
    Last edited by beatha; 08-05-2013 at 07:42 AM.
    "Ego kills spirit. Find confidence in your own progress not in comparison to others." - me waking up 11/21/15

"It does not have to be a perfect workout; just be consistent" - my obi-wan

On my way to new levels in 2017
    347 / 209 / DL 408 / 964.5 / Wilks 429.013

"Stay humble" - B*itch that lifts > me

ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by tina722 View Post
    Congrats! I had just assumed that you wouldn't cut water, since it was a last minute meet. nice job on getting everything to work out, even if you had to force some of the pieces into place. I love the bench video angle - not sure that I've seen it recorded like that before.

I can't believe the guy is not going to turn the records in. Ugh. how frustrating. At least you've got the meet in October coming up.

Are you planning on changing any of the training plans as a result of this meet? Or do you feel you're right on track?
    Thanks Tina. The plan was to just go and lift since I really wasn't ready, but I was sitting around 138 and figured 6 pounds would be no big deal. Wrong. lol. I have read that cutting weight isn't as linear for women due to hormonal stuff. Usually my meets are around what one would think would be the worst time of the month, but never have a problem dropping weight then, and my daily scale weight is lighter then, too. Not sure if that was a factor, but this weight cut was an absolute disaster.

For October, if feel like the cut will be easy, I'll do it. And it should be - it will be the 'right' time in my monthly cycle, I should be at the correct starting weight since I knew the meet was coming, it will be a 24 hour weigh in instead of at night, etc.

But if I compete in the 148's at like 137/138, that's ok too. Based on how i felt this weekend, one half of me is saying 'never cut again', the other half knows that I was not prepared due to the last minute-ness of the whole thing, and things will be better next time when I can stick to my plan.

I am glad I did the meet. I am more excited than ever to begin RSA for squats, its just what I need for consistency. Am feeling really confident about my bench programming, it is staying as is with minor updates to deal with lockout. I'll be working on some mental training as well to get control over my nerves and quit losing lifts because 'something stupid happened'. I am seeing my dead in a different light now - The harsh light of being the last lift at the end of a meet haha. I probably won't be as aggressive on my deadlift attempts as I had originally planned in October, will look to my squat for the biggest # increase.

Originally Posted by jpfaherty View Post
    Awesome write up!

I felt like I went through hell and back with you!

You better bring it in October!

Thanks JP! I actually had one of your journal posts in mind during the dark hours of the weight cut - the bruce lee quote/story (Bruce Lee saying to finish and if you think you're going to die then die because you can go so much further than you think). Tried to find the text in print if anyone is interested:
    http://wingcap.tumblr.com/image/4488121506
    I had this in my head all through Friday's weight loss. By that night, I was like 'holy sh**, I am actually going to die for real'. lol. And in the morning, I 100% sure I could not do the meet. But I did it anyway and I didn't die, I'm fine now and feeling very happy. Even moreso than if I had a pleasant and easy day. Not to say that I ever want to go through all of that again, but there is something very satisfying in hitting a really low point, things seeming impossible, and then actually doing ok.

Originally Posted by beatha View Post
    Good Job at the meet 80's. Solid performance despite having a rough last min wt cut : ouch :

Btw you can submit your own records, new big green button on the current lists page, form lets you provide all the info including a link to vid & the fed's website posting of the results as documentation (not sure if required). Did you noticed site changed to the list top 20 only? Meh. I'm personally not appreciating that change at the moment lol

Anyways congrats again.
    Thanks Beatha! A friend went to the SPF Women's Pro Am and got to lift with some really amazing women. One woman with incredible lifts in the 148s, she actually cuts over 15 pounds to make that class! I have a whole new respect for people who can manage something like that and still perform. I sure couldn't handle that.

Hmmm, the SPF meets I did did not post even the results on their own site. Other SPF meets are listed there, I guess it is just the meets done around here that dont post results. Wish they did, I am so frazzled at meets I can never remember what everyone lifted, it is nice to see the results on paper afterward. So that one might be a lost cause, but I'll turn in this last meet and (hopefully) check off one of my goals for the year Thanks for aware-ing me!

I did see that they changed it to Top 20 for women! That is exciting. I think it means that more women are competing? Your lifts are awesome, The Top 20 cut shouldn't affect you much, and if it did, it won't be for long. The women who are way up at the top of each class are just the ones who have been doing it the longest. We're still relatively new to pl'ing, some of these women have been at this 10-15 years or more. You are fast approaching 900 as it is.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55
    Meet lifts : Squat 275 | Bench 170 | Dead 400

Journal : http://tinyurl.com/80s-lifting-journal

mom to 3 boys / spend my life at grocery store crew

geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000)
    first congratulations on that total!! you're my lifting hero.

that water cut sounds really really rough. do you think you will try and drop the weight instead of doing that again, or reassess how to water cut.

so thrilled for you, and i hope that you can submit them yourself like B said. you totally deserve to see your name at #7. whoa.

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    WOW!!
    That was the best meet write up EVER..
    Great job, Laura! We are proud of you!

There are a bunch of PLers in the O-35 section going to a meet in Rochester, I believe this coming Saturday. You should share this with them to motivate the crap out of ‘em.. No excuse. I love it..

PS. You will be #7 in my book, whether or not it’s official..
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi Laura! Awesome writeup on the meet and the cut, and congrats on the big gain from a couple yrs ago.
    My training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150928103

izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Izzy, you are right on regarding the stance. I can't believe I didn't notice that, thank you for mentioning, that is exactly what the problem was. Instant fix I didn't get to train with Matt + Sioux-z, it was with their oly lifting coach there, but he was awesome, too!
    yay for instant fixes!! i love those

re weight cut from hell - good for you for actually lifting after that! one of our lifters at nationals started getting just the calf cramps and he was in rough shape - i can't imagine all that you went through. you are freaking tough. does the water load normally get you all the weight or do you plan on sweating? i guess with 24 hour weigh ins that's a bit more do-able. i'm frightened now, lol - both my water cuts have been painless, i'd rather never experience what you described!

congrats on the fantastic total. that third bench came off your chest like nothing, i thought you had it for sure. and nice work with the DL meet PR on the regular bar! i've never had the chance to try one out but from what i hear they make quite a difference.
    training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153696161&page=51

geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000) geek23ka is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i didnt check the thread again until this morning, and whoa. you must have posted just before i submitted bc all of my questions were answered. i'm excited to watch you prep for the october meet.

ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by NorwichGrad View Post
    WOW!!
    That was the best meet write up EVER..
    Great job, Laura! We are proud of you!

There are a bunch of PLers in the O-35 section going to a meet in Rochester, I believe this coming Saturday. You should share this with them to motivate the crap out of ‘em.. No excuse. I love it..

PS. You will be #7 in my book, whether or not it’s official..
    Thanks! I saw everyone in the O35 is going to that RPS meet. Wish I were going, it sounds like it is going to be a blast. I would be afraid to post my meet/ weigh in writeup in there, looks like there are a few people doing it for the first time, I wouldn't want to scare them lol! That was the ugly side of powerlifting indeed, I hope to never see it again haha. Thanks though, it looks like they are going to at least post the results so I can turn them in as bea said and finally cross that one off my list

Originally Posted by cmg1976 View Post
    Hi Laura! Awesome writeup on the meet and the cut, and congrats on the big gain from a couple yrs ago.
    Thanks Christina!!

Originally Posted by izzygrant View Post
    yay for instant fixes!! i love those

re weight cut from hell - good for you for actually lifting after that! one of our lifters at nationals started getting just the calf cramps and he was in rough shape - i can't imagine all that you went through. you are freaking tough. does the water load normally get you all the weight or do you plan on sweating? i guess with 24 hour weigh ins that's a bit more do-able. i'm frightened now, lol - both my water cuts have been painless, i'd rather never experience what you described!

congrats on the fantastic total. that third bench came off your chest like nothing, i thought you had it for sure. and nice work with the DL meet PR on the regular bar! i've never had the chance to try one out but from what i hear they make quite a difference.

Oh lord, someone at nationals had that going on? And he was able to lift? By the time I hit the platform, the cramps had turned just to stiffness, I could not have managed lifting while they were taking place. The calf ones are the worst, they leave you rolling on the floor, and the stomach ones, you can't even stand. I have had a few calf cramps here and there at the end of my other depletions, but never whole body cramps, and not even being able to move a muscle without one happening. I never want to go through that again.

The third bench was a classic case of me missing a lift because 'something stupid happened' rather than strength failed.

You've never had the whippy bar? They are so much fun. They really make a difference coming off the floor.

Originally Posted by geek23ka View Post
    i didnt check the thread again until this morning, and whoa. you must have posted just before i submitted bc all of my questions were answered. i'm excited to watch you prep for the october meet.
    Thanks! I'm still recovering, this weekend took its toll.

I'm still nursing the aftermath. Working on getting an appetite back, been raw vegan all week and couldn't stomach anything else, finally being seduced by french fries and stuff.

Physically, as in muscular aches/ pains and fatigue I feel fine. But the allergic reaction I had Friday night I guess was severe, finally went to the dr today since I've had a constant migraine and throat pain since then. Turns out it damaged my soft palate and pharynx to the point that it looks like a chemical burn, causing a perma-migraine. Got a prednisone shot, a bunch of gargly stuff and meds and a stern lecture about checking food labels.

I'm blaming the sauce that was on top of the sushi, that is the only thing I hadn't had before and that was the stuff that felt like it instantly molded to my mouth. My husband was saying they sometimes put aspartame in sauces and I know I have reactions to that (though usually only after it is digested). It better damn well be the sauce because if I've developed a sushi allergy, I don't know what I'll do!

Getting my car repaired next week. I cannot believe all of the events that happened around this meet, lol.

I actually think the prednisone is working, migraine is gone right now. Might go down to the gym for something light and fun
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OOOOOOPPPPSSSSIEE!! It's too late, Laura. I already posted your write up in that thread.

They can't back down now, especially if they bothered to read your write up. Real men will never allow a lady like you to 'out-woman' them.. haha..
    This above all..

Originally Posted by NorwichGrad View Post
    OOOOOOPPPPSSSSIEE!! It's too late, Laura. I already posted your write up in that thread.

They can't back down now, especially if they bothered to read your write up. Real men will never allow a lady like you to 'out-woman' them.. haha..
    lol Joel You are always so supportive and proud of my efforts, it is really appreciated. When I think of this past weekend, all I can do is laugh at all of the things that went wrong, but it really feels amazing to know that I have people in my corner cheering me on.

That meet is going to be this weekend!! I wish someone were live streaming it, I am dying see how everyone does and what they think of it. Over 100 lifters registered!
    Last edited by ilovethe80s; 08-08-2013 at 05:10 PM.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

Some random notes that I have been meaning to put down for myself, because I know they I'll be looking for them next meet.

- Didn't log that I had a squat day the Wednesday before the meet where I worked up to a triple at my opener (225). Huge boost of confidence for my squat, no fear of a missing my opener since I just tripled it, ended up being a good choice.

- Also wanted to note that the morning of the meet, I went down into the basement to work out all the kinks with a mini workout/ motor pattern reminders. Did:

• OHS/ shoulder dislocations with band
    • broomstick squats till that felt right
    • squat singles with the empty bar, until everything was stretched out and feeling right
    • a few empty bar bench reps (didn't need much, this was fine)
    • a few sets of light lat pulldowns, and it helped bring some more awareness into my lats which sat with me all day and I felt like I could brace them extra strong in my lifts

All the right muscles were still fired up come meet time and warm up was much faster and more efficient. Again, not something I ever see prescribed, but works for me right now.

- Worked on channeling nerves into something useful.

• I forced deep breaths instead of hyperventilating (morphing what would have been every 3 shallow breaths, into one deep one).

• Instead of rushing my lifts, I took as long as I needed to get set up. That was a biggie - no matter how long it feels like you are taking, it is not nearly as long as you think. And even if it is, nobody is going to start throwing tomatoes at you.

• Turned the energy I was wasting fidgeting, into clenching my lats. Needless to say, that took me much farther than fidgeting around. Let tightness really is the key to everything

I felt like I had a lot more control this time around, like I wasn't subject to whatever the barbell and whatever circumstances had in store for me. I was actually able to use adrenalin in my lifts (other than the pull) and have it be of benefit instead of knocking me off course with spazz. Hope I remember this and it works just as well on a good day!

Heading down to the gym for some overhead pressing and playing around with my new fat gripz!
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

Thanks JP! I actually had one of your journal posts in mind during the dark hours of the weight cut - the bruce lee quote/story (Bruce Lee saying to finish and if you think you're going to die then die because you can go so much further than you think). Tried to find the text in print if anyone is interested:
    http://wingcap.tumblr.com/image/4488121506
    I had this in my head all through Friday's weight loss. By that night, I was like 'holy sh**, I am actually going to die for real'. lol. And in the morning, I 100% sure I could not do the meet. But I did it anyway and I didn't die, I'm fine now and feeling very happy. Even moreso than if I had a pleasant and easy day. Not to say that I ever want to go through all of that again, but there is something very satisfying in hitting a really low point, things seeming impossible, and then actually doing ok.

Aw thanks!

Literally laughed out loud at the bolded part. So funny.

The last sentence inn the above is amazing! Great work

PS - We're all signed up for the October meet!
    Last edited by jpfaherty; 08-08-2013 at 05:21 PM.

RSP Nutrition Store:

★★★ Live Inspired ★★★

Literally laughed out loud at the bolded part. So funny.

The last sentence inn the above is amazing! Great work

PS - We're all signed up for the October meet!
    I am going to sign up this weekend. Everyone is talking about this meet and really excited for it, they are going to have a ton of lifters. Did you see that one in NY this weekend has over 100 people!
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

OHP
    A. OHP
    45/5 (x2), 55/3, 60/5, 65/5, 75/7
    B. DB OH Press with Fat Gripz Extreme 3x12 (20's)
    C. Speed-y Close Grip Decline Bench (ring finger on smooth silver) 3 x 5 (105) - 30 seconds rest
    D. Lat Pulldown 3 x 8 (95)
    E. Rear Delt Raises 3 x 12 (15+ fat gripz extreme)
    F. Prehab - Band Internal + External Rotations (3x15 each)

Might have been able to go a bit heavier on the DB OH Press, sort of deload-ish this week anyway and needed to get used to the fat gripz. I can't believe what a bigger grip surface does. All of your stabilizers and every little unit of muscle that was asleep lights up, like your body thinks it is getting ready to hoist an elephant. Kind of the same thing as when you squeeze the bar really tight (which you do have to do to hold the grips). It feels like you get a lot more work out of an exercise. I love how they force me to push with the base of the palm (would be great for benchers who tend to bend the wrists), firing up all those lat muscles. I can see these getting a ton of use this cycle for pushing moves.

Went ahead and knocked 10lbs off my speedy bench cycle to account for the close grip - it's much tougher.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

Squat
    A. Squat with Fat Gripz Extreme 45/5, 95/5, 120/5, 145/3, 155/5
    (Remove Fat Gripz Extreme) 180/5 200/6
    B. Good Morning (strict, narrow + straight) 3 x 10 (135)
    C. Core
    D. Calves

Grip was not even on my mind when working with the Fat Gripz the other night. But the next day, while chopping in the kitchen, pushing strollers and other daily tasks, my forearms had a deep burn.

The Fat Gripz are supposed to help with keeping the chest up in the squat. When I removed them for my final sets, the bar felt like a piece of spaghetti.

Worked on fixing thoracic extension as well as tempo today.
    I'm just not ready to add a more speed to my descent. Speed = slop. It will just take time. I hope by the end of the RSA I should be springing out of a squat

Bench
    A. Bench
    With Fat Gripz Extreme 60/5, 75/3, 90/5, 100/5
    Remove Fat Gripz Extreme 115/5 130/8
    B. Floor Press 135/5 (x3)
    C. DB Bench with Fat Gripz Extreme, palms facing 25/12 (x2)
    D. Row 115/8(x3)
    E. OH DB Tri Press 2x15 (40)
    F. Prehab

On rep 7 of my benches, I threw the weight forward (didn't lose it though, and corrected it next rep). I lost what would have been a very easy final bench attempt at my meet last week by throwing the weight forward in the same way, just as I was locking out. Thought it was just a stupid spell at the time, but I see why it is happening.

I've worked hard keeping the heaviness in the back, taking the shoulders out of the lift, and the weight flies off the chest now. But I've been doing the entire lift with minimal delt involvement. So my bar path is a result of that.

I think that just knowing this should help me out. I am hesitant to add in a higher ratio of front delt work, as I am not sure yet if it is a muscular weakness or just the fact that I was trying to stay off of them.

Last year, I tried to incorporate floor presses. At the time, I was always stuck on the chest, couldn't figure out leg drive, and it was a horrible exercise choice. Now, perfect fit, gives me just the part of the bench that I need to work on.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

Nice technique breakdown as always

I love floor press!

RSP Nutrition Store:

★★★ Live Inspired ★★★

definitely.

i have a couple questions if you don't mind.

for the good mornings, by strict do you mean, back goes parallel to the floor, narrow stance and knees only slightly bent?

what baout fat gripz helps you keep the chest up? do you think i would become reliant on the fat gripz, or would it strengthen me to do better without it?

good work, laura! and i'm glad that you can see that an accessory that was a bad idea for bench last year is just the thing this year. lots of progress you've made in a year!

I love floor press!
    thanks! am really excited about the floor press, it's a keeper

Originally Posted by geek23ka View Post
    definitely.

i have a couple questions if you don't mind.

for the good mornings, by strict do you mean, back goes parallel to the floor, narrow stance and knees only slightly bent?

what baout fat gripz helps you keep the chest up? do you think i would become reliant on the fat gripz, or would it strengthen me to do better without it?

good work, laura! and i'm glad that you can see that an accessory that was a bad idea for bench last year is just the thing this year. lots of progress you've made in a year!
    on the GM, my def of strict is pretty much what you describe. I try to note what kind of GM I do because a tiny variation in knee bend or ROM can make a huge difference #s wise.

Our good morning squat thing is usually due to lack of lat tightness. Not necessarily strength, just not tightening up properly. You really have to lock in the lats to hold the bar with the fat gripz extreme, and the wide grip surface gets all those muscles fired up thinking something enormously heavy is coming. The general rx is to keep it on for your warmup sets, then remove for the work sets. By the time I take it off, all of my lat muscles are fully active and I feel like I can contract them harder.

I don't think you'd become reliant on them, it trains you to fully use your lats on the squat. When you are using them, you feel how sturdy your back feels and think 'this is how it should feel all the time'. Then once it gets drilled in, you can phase them out or just use them occasionally as a reminder. I like what it does as far as activating lats, so I could see using them in the warmup sets regardless.

It can help also if you have any issues holding the bar for squat, like some people want to hold the bar too much in their hands, awkward wrists, elbow pain position. When I first tried the fat gripz extreme for squat, it felt really awkward. It showed me that I was supporting the bar a bit with my hands. Got the lats nice and tight, problem solved

& thanks! I'm thrilled with the bench progress lately. I've pretty much been 5/3/1ing my bench, which I had done in the past and was pretty stagnant/ slow to progress. The right accessory and supplemental lift choices at the right times really make or break bench progress. I also had zero progress using conjugate methods for bench - because my exercise selection was all wrong (and technique sucked haha), I'm sure that method would also work out great now.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

RSA starts in 2 weeks, not really enough time to run any sort of legitimate cycle in between now and then so it's a party in the gym. A somewhat structured and progressive party, but a party nonetheless

Pull/Squat Training

Bottom Up Front Squat only to 135, stopped for hernia
    Light Squat 120/10, 145/10, 165/10
    GHR 2 x 15
    Core
    Calves

Hernia hates front squats but I thought I'd give bottom ups a whirl to see if they would be tolerated. negative. I think I can cross any front squat type deal off the list permanently, it has been several years now. It's perfectly fine with me, there are a billion other things I can do.

I didn't really warm up for squats today, figured I could cut corners since I was working so light and I was front squatting first. 145/10 was bar coming down way out in front of the knee, haven't seen that one in a while. No real back squat warm up plus hitting front squats first were not a winning combo for a recovering quad-centric squat morning-er. Went through some hip work and lighter squatting, then 165/10 looked right on.

--

On the subject of RSA - I usually like to work under my max when doing volume programs with the intent of drilling in motor patterns and corrections. I believe I still have another 20 in the squat with some technique improvements, but that won't come to be if I am struggling and breaking form too often. I'll get way more out of perfect reps.

I think I'm going with a squat RM of 240 (bearing in mind this is 2x/week for the assault).

I'd love to be comfortable enough to open at 240-ish for next meet, I like to be able to at least triple my opener, and this ends on a triple at 235, so that's just about right. The day that I always look for danger with on this is the 4x9. Believe it or not, that is the day that the form breaks down the worst. The rest of the week I spend correcting the breakdown, and by the triples day, everything looks pretty good and I feel like I've slayed the beast, haha. Then we start over with some heavier 9's and fighting off new issues. But I think I can handle all of those 9's with reasonably good technique.
    Last edited by ilovethe80s; 08-13-2013 at 02:15 PM.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) izzygrant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    interesting notes on the fat gripz. the garage gym has some, i may throw them on later this week. lord knows anything that helps me with lat activation is a good thing.

i think it makes perfect sense that 9's are the worst. just thinking about 9 squats with any sort of real weight makes me want to die. then you add your belt and can't breathe too and it's just so awesome.
    training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153696161&page=51

Originally Posted by izzygrant View Post
    then you add your belt and can't breathe too and it's just so awesome.
    the image of what is to come in the next couple of weeks is becoming more vivid by the moment lol
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

Conditioning
    bike intervals 20 minutes

Weight notes:
    Dr scale last week weighed me at 136 in the morning, while my own (2) scales weigh me around 137. RPS and SPF meet scales are 1lb lighter than my home scales. The APA meet scale was nearly 2 pounds HEAVIER than my home scales. Sounds like an SAT question lol. So in a nutshell, scales vary and it makes making weight more difficult, but looks like I'm around 136-ish.

I don't have a problem lifting in the 148's at this point, if I am indeed 140+. But I wouldn't be thrilled with being in the 148s at 136. I'll probably just lose a pound or two over the next 2 months so I can be damn sure that I don't have to sweat it out this time and just the water loading will suffice.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

OHP
    A. OHP 55/3 60/3 70/3 80/6
    B. DB OHP with Fat Gripz Extreme 3x12 (25)
    C. Speedy Decline CG Bench 3x5(120) - 30 seconds rest
    D. Rack Chin 3 x 10
    E. Prehab

Another light day. Skipped the delt work in favor of extra prehab. Left elbow and shoulder a little off, left shoulder tired much quicker than right during prehab today, so just keeping an eye on that. I think I got so excited about discovering my sleeping front delts last bench session that I was rolling my shoulders up a bit during floor press and trying to get them more involved.

After today's session, I threw my new black skinny bands on the empty barbell just to get an idea if it is something I'd want for next speedy bench cycle. I definitely want to go back to the competition grip, not loving the cg for speedy work at all. And I'm ready to come off the decline, I've gotten a lot out of that and ready to move on.

First unrack with the bands I felt like I was going to elastic fling myself off the bench. I was surprised. I have been really tight on the bench lately, or so I thought. But apparently, I can be even TIGHTER. After a couple of tries, pulled the bar out smooth. I tried benching with bands in the past with no measurable success, but just about everything about my bench has changed since then. I'll give it another go.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

Great work as always, Laura!

BTW, I thought I’d share with you. I plan to compete in powerlifting in 2014. I can’t believe how many meets there are herein the US. Amazing.. I plan to do either USAPL or 100% Raw. There is a meet in Phillie in June 2014. That gives me 10 months to train my bench. I have not benched since I started weightlifting 3 years ago. If I can go to one weightlifting and one powerlifting meet a year, I’d be happy.
    I needed a compelling reason to increase my absolute strength to help my Olympic lifts, and competing in powerlifting is the clear answer..

I’ll be picking your brain, Laura. I am not too proud to ask a lady for help..
    This above all..

Joel I am so excited about you powerlifting!! 10 months is plenty of time to get your ducks in a row on the bench. Have you done any benching yet? Do you have an idea of your current max? Anything you need, ask away
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    After today's session, I threw my new black skinny bands on the empty barbell just to get an idea if it is something I'd want for next speedy bench cycle. I definitely want to go back to the competition grip, not loving the cg for speedy work at all. And I'm ready to come off the decline, I've gotten a lot out of that and ready to move on.

First unrack with the bands I felt like I was going to elastic fling myself off the bench. I was surprised. I have been really tight on the bench lately, or so I thought. But apparently, I can be even TIGHTER. After a couple of tries, pulled the bar out smooth. I tried benching with bands in the past with no measurable success, but just about everything about my bench has changed since then. I'll give it another go.

Completely relate! I'm doing well with xyz. Try some other exercise and, maybe not...
    Journal- One of the Ogres
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139651333

Originally Posted by Big_Sky_Guy View Post
    Completely relate! I'm doing well with xyz. Try some other exercise and, maybe not...
    always humbling to try something new and get schooled, haha
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55