Thread: Lower back pain

southernsilk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) southernsilk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) southernsilk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) southernsilk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lower back pain

I was doing Starting Strength 2 years ago, squatting 210 pounds and deadlifting 230 pounds at 150 pounds of BW and I had to stop because of pain. A month ago I started training and after 2 weeks of squatting the same pain came back. I stopped for a month. I tried it again this week, squatting on Monday and Wednesday, and I'm slightly hurting now. It's not full blown pain but I know that if I go squat tomorrow it'll come back.

I've been becoming aware that I have lordosis, I'm seated all day (school and work) I have virtually no flexibility and I realized that I stick my butt out a LOT when I squat except when it rounds when I hit parallel. I always thought I just had a bit butt but now it seems like I have lordosis. I really do not want to give up squatting, deadlifting, I don't want to pussy out of this. I'm going to see my doctor soon, but what should I do? I lack flexibility. I'm thinking about stopping weightlifting for a month or two and stretching everything every day and finding out about lordosis. Any good tips?

WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    sounds like yoga could help you. maybe reduce the squatting to once a week, and get on more of a bodybuilding split.

NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by southernsilk View Post
    I was doing Starting Strength 2 years ago, squatting 210 pounds and deadlifting 230 pounds at 150 pounds of BW and I had to stop because of pain. A month ago I started training and after 2 weeks of squatting the same pain came back. I stopped for a month. I tried it again this week, squatting on Monday and Wednesday, and I'm slightly hurting now. It's not full blown pain but I know that if I go squat tomorrow it'll come back.

I've been becoming aware that I have lordosis, I'm seated all day (school and work) I have virtually no flexibility and I realized that I stick my butt out a LOT when I squat except when it rounds when I hit parallel. I always thought I just had a bit butt but now it seems like I have lordosis. I really do not want to give up squatting, deadlifting, I don't want to pussy out of this. I'm going to see my doctor soon, but what should I do? I lack flexibility. I'm thinking about stopping weightlifting for a month or two and stretching everything every day and finding out about lordosis. Any good tips?
    Yes the lordosis might be the issue, certainly it has been suggested to me that anterior pelvic tilt can cause problems with the lower back area.

The current theory is that you should keep the lower back area stable and strive for mobility in the hip region so you are gonna need to do alot of stretching of the muscles, tendons / whatever in the lower back so you are properly loading the spine.

Check out Gzuz thread on posture related problems - sticky on this page, look up mike boyle and mike robertson on the topic. They have some good stuff out there.
    Last edited by NIguy; 06-05-2010 at 07:01 PM.