FishFinder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bar hitting knees during deadlift

Need some help with this, I have watched countless videos on the dead lift but I am still having trouble with returning the weight to the ground. The bar always seems to make contact with my knees on the way down.

Any advice would be great.

scottielewks is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottielewks is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottielewks is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottielewks is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottielewks is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottielewks is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottielewks is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottielewks is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottielewks is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottielewks is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottielewks is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    im new to deads, only been doing for about 2 months now but i try to let it slide down my leg so that it runs over my knee instead of banging into it, not sure if this is correct or not but it's worked for me.

EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You're probably "Squatting" at first that's why. The descent of a deadlift is initiated with the bend of the hips, then the knees bend soon after.

There's an excellent sticky in this section about proper deadlift form. Watch the video and learn.
    EoR is powered by unique Nanomolecular Hyperdispersion Technology. Giving him high bioavailability and myocellular saturation.

Mushroom_Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by FishFinder View Post
    Need some help with this, I have watched countless videos on the dead lift but I am still having trouble with returning the weight to the ground. The bar always seems to make contact with my knees on the way down.

Sounds like you're bending your knees too much or simply too early on.

Or you could be keeping your back too upright. It is supposed to lean over quite a bit during a deadlift but remain straight. If you're keeping your back upright on the way down I can see how you could easily strike your knees with the bar.

You should probably spend some time doing light weight reps until you've got your form together properly.

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    You need to begin lowering the weight by breaking at the hips and pushing them back, before bending your knees. You are likely keeping your torso straight and beginning the lowering movement by bending at the knees.

Returning the weight to the ground should be the exact opposite movement of raising it. Check out the deadlift sticky, and then practice with a light weight to practice the lowering movement.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by FishFinder View Post

When I first started DLs like last year I faced the same problem. But what I realized is I was simply lowering the weight slower then the bending of my knees. Also other times I stuck my knees right out. lol... When the bar is passing your tighs, your knees should be beginning to bend so when the bar just passes them they'll be at the way you want them, contracting them on the way back up as usual.