jon356a has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help breaking bench press plateau

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on how to break a bench press plateau. I have been back weight training steady for 9 month's. I usually weight train 4 x week with another 2 days of moderate cardio. My stats are as follows: 5'-11", 225 lbs, 42 yo.

My Goal is to bench 315 x 3 - 6 reps x 3 sets

I routinely warm up approx. 15 minutes on the treadmill or rowing machine then weight train on chest days as follows:

Flat Bench Press - Dumbbell Routine 1:
    75's x 12
    80's x 10
    90's x 10
    100's x 6
    110's to failure usually 3-6 reps 1 or 2 sets

Flat Bench Press - Barbell Routine 2:
    Alternating grip between sets. 60-90 seconds rest between sets.
    155 x 15 close grip x 3 sets
    155 x 15 wide grip x 3 sets

I also throw in an occasional incline.

When I'm checking my progress I do the following in lieu of the above:
    Flat Bench Press - Barbell
    155 x 8 warm up
    155 x 8 warm up
    225 x 8 working set (This is where Im stuck)
    225 x 6
    225 x 3
    225 x 3
    225 x 3

Other notes about my routine:
    I mainly do compound movements. I'm trying to build more mass, thickness and strength. My shoulders and triceps are more developed than my chest. Also I have been working my back and it's coming along. I don't have a spotter, but I think if I had one I could get another rep or 2 out without worrying about getting the weight re-racked.

Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks
    Last edited by jon356a; 06-02-2010 at 03:20 PM.

FatBencher107 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FatBencher107 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Whats your assistance work looking like?

Assistance Work

Originally Posted by FatBencher107 View Post
    Whats your assistance work looking like?
    When you say assitance work, I'm thinking you mean the movements which would help me bench heavier weight? If so, I have been doing the following:

1. Wide / Narrow Grip BB Alterations.
    2. Speed pressing.
    3. Dumbbell Presses - 75% vs Barbell work
    4. Reverse Grip BB Presses
    5. Dips
    6. Shoulder work, military presses DB/BB, Laterals front/side, reverse incline rows.
    7. Back work Bent over BB rows, one arm bench rows, rowing machine.
    8. Some Deadlifting - But not enough! Max is 315 x 3 reps, overhand grip, no belt, no hooks/straps.

As I mentioned it seems like my tris and shoulders have developed better compared to my chest and I suspect they are doing more than their share of the work. My back seems to be coming along faster as well.
    Last edited by jon356a; 06-02-2010 at 06:05 PM.

Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I skimmed over your OP, and I saw the whole DB workout thing and face palmed. Read the stickies, and do a real program...your bench will increase over time. Doing what you are doing now will probably get you to 265 and you will stall forever.
    All Time WR Squat: 785 @ 220 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0GtHNRdHeM
    Powerlifting Coach At Complete Human Performance (www.completehumanperformance.com)
    WongStwongTraining@gmail.com

808faka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 808faka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 808faka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 808faka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 808faka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 808faka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 808faka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 808faka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 808faka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 808faka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 808faka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if your trying to get stronger why are you doing so many reps?? on one of your barbell bench routines it says working set is 225x8. i think you need to up the weight and if thats the only working set your doing you need to change that. work up to a weight you can do for 3 and then do maybe 5 sets of 3 then assistance work you need to lift heavy if u wanna get stronger.

Program recommendation

Originally Posted by Big Sexy J View Post
    I skimmed over your OP, and I saw the whole DB workout thing and face palmed. Read the stickies, and do a real program...your bench will increase over time. Doing what you are doing now will probably get you to 265 and you will stall forever.
    Is there a "real" program(s) you would recommend?

Thanks

MAXXEDOUT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAXXEDOUT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAXXEDOUT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAXXEDOUT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAXXEDOUT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAXXEDOUT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAXXEDOUT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAXXEDOUT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAXXEDOUT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAXXEDOUT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MAXXEDOUT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

cardio???

Why are you doing 15 min of cardio before. I do 5 min to get warmed up.
    Originally Posted by jon356a View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on how to break a bench press plateau. I have been back weight training steady for 9 month's. I usually weight train 4 x week with another 2 days of moderate cardio. My stats are as follows: 5'-11", 225 lbs, 42 yo.

My Goal is to bench 315 x 3 - 6 reps x 3 sets

I routinely warm up approx. 15 minutes on the treadmill or rowing machine then weight train on chest days as follows:

Flat Bench Press - Dumbbell Routine 1:
    75's x 12
    80's x 10
    90's x 10
    100's x 6
    110's to failure usually 3-6 reps 1 or 2 sets

Flat Bench Press - Barbell Routine 2:
    Alternating grip between sets. 60-90 seconds rest between sets.
    155 x 15 close grip x 3 sets
    155 x 15 wide grip x 3 sets

I also throw in an occasional incline.

When I'm checking my progress I do the following in lieu of the above:
    Flat Bench Press - Barbell
    155 x 8 warm up
    155 x 8 warm up
    225 x 8 working set (This is where Im stuck)
    225 x 6
    225 x 3
    225 x 3
    225 x 3

Other notes about my routine:
    I mainly do compound movements. I'm trying to build more mass, thickness and strength. My shoulders and triceps are more developed than my chest. Also I have been working my back and it's coming along. I don't have a spotter, but I think if I had one I could get another rep or 2 out without worrying about getting the weight re-racked.

Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks

FatBencher107 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FatBencher107 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    is there a "real" program(s) you would recommend?

Thanks
    5/3/1

Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by FatBencher107 View Post
    5/3/1
    This. Or Macdows 5x5
    All Time WR Squat: 785 @ 220 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0GtHNRdHeM
    Powerlifting Coach At Complete Human Performance (www.completehumanperformance.com)
    WongStwongTraining@gmail.com

Bench Plateau

Originally Posted by 808faka View Post
    if your trying to get stronger why are you doing so many reps?? on one of your barbell bench routines it says working set is 225x8. i think you need to up the weight and if thats the only working set your doing you need to change that. work up to a weight you can do for 3 and then do maybe 5 sets of 3 then assistance work you need to lift heavy if u wanna get stronger.
    I understand your point and was training with the DB's for awhile like you mention. 3-4 reps x 5 sets. As I got stronger I added reps until I adapted then I added weight and dropped the reps. Cascading like this through previous goals and plateaus.

Then I got stuck at 8 reps with the barbell at 225 regardless of what I do. My test was for 10 reps, then add some weight and drop the reps and repeat. Also I figured the more reps I could do at 225 my 1 rep max would also increase somewhat. I could be within 25 lbs of a 315 1RM now. Just hung up on getting stuck at 225 for 8.

Thanks for the feedback.

Bench Plateau

Originally Posted by MAXXEDOUT View Post
    Why are you doing 15 min of cardio before. I do 5 min to get warmed up.
    I've questioned this myself and it seems like anything less I run cold the whole session and don't push as much, I've tried it. Less intensity overall is another way of saying it. The cardio I do is lite building up to 125 bpm the first 10 mins with a spike to 145 bpm the last 3-5 minutes. Then I recover to just under 100 bpm before I start lifting. Maybe it has something do with working out first thing in the AM.

Schism45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Schism45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Schism45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Schism45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Schism45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Schism45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Schism45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Schism45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Schism45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Schism45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Schism45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've questioned this myself and it seems like anything less I run cold the whole session and don't push as much, I've tried it. Less intensity overall is another way of saying it. The cardio I do is lite building up to 125 bpm the first 10 mins with a spike to 145 bpm the last 3-5 minutes. Then I recover to just under 100 bpm before I start lifting. Maybe it has something do with working out first thing in the AM.
    Consider chopping 10 minutes off the cardio and doing foam rolling/dynamic mobility exercises for a warmup instead. More bang for your buck - you'll be warmer and looser than from just biking, and the injury prevention factor is great as well.

Bench Plateau

Originally Posted by Schism45 View Post
    Consider chopping 10 minutes off the cardio and doing foam rolling/dynamic mobility exercises for a warmup instead. More bang for your buck - you'll be warmer and looser than from just biking, and the injury prevention factor is great as well.
    I mainly row but this sounds interesting I'll look into it.

Thanks for the feedback.

808faka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 808faka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 808faka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 808faka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 808faka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 808faka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 808faka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 808faka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 808faka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 808faka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 808faka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I understand your point and was training with the DB's for awhile like you mention. 3-4 reps x 5 sets. As I got stronger I added reps until I adapted then I added weight and dropped the reps. Cascading like this through previous goals and plateaus.

Then I got stuck at 8 reps with the barbell at 225 regardless of what I do. My test was for 10 reps, then add some weight and drop the reps and repeat. Also I figured the more reps I could do at 225 my 1 rep max would also increase somewhat. I could be within 25 lbs of a 315 1RM now. Just hung up on getting stuck at 225 for 8.

Thanks for the feedback.
    yeah it seems your dumbell weights are pretty good but if its your barbell bench u really wanna hit 315 i suggest just sticking to barbell benching for awhile since ur pretty strong in dumbells already. and doing sets of 8 or even 10 or more dont have a direct carry over to a 1rm i remember i was doing 225 for about 15 or a little more when i hit 315 so just try doing sum heavy barbell sets and really focus on technique on every rep it helped me alot good luck.

carpent6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carpent6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carpent6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carpent6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carpent6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carpent6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carpent6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carpent6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carpent6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carpent6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Are you using any leg drive?
    Are you pulling your shoulder blades together?

You say your triceps and shoulders are growing but not your chest....guess what, this is what happens when you bench. If you want a big chest then do inclines and dumbell work with a crap load of cable work. If you want a big bench then don't worry about how you look just worry about how much weight you lift.

Without seeing you lift......squeeze the bar as hard as you can. Pull your shoulder blades together and hold them there. Point your elbows to your feet, lower the bar to your upper belly, not your chest. Touch and drive with everything, including your legs without your butt leaving the bench. About 3/4 of the way up flair your elbows just a bit and lock out. I little uncomfortable to get used to the proper form but the goal is to bench big not be comfortable.

Noctis1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noctis1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noctis1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noctis1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noctis1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noctis1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noctis1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noctis1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noctis1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noctis1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noctis1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Big Sexy J View Post
    this
    nbhd

Bench Plateau

Originally Posted by carpent6 View Post
    Are you using any leg drive?
    Are you pulling your shoulder blades together?

You say your triceps and shoulders are growing but not your chest....guess what, this is what happens when you bench. If you want a big chest then do inclines and dumbell work with a crap load of cable work. If you want a big bench then don't worry about how you look just worry about how much weight you lift.

Without seeing you lift......squeeze the bar as hard as you can. Pull your shoulder blades together and hold them there. Point your elbows to your feet, lower the bar to your upper belly, not your chest. Touch and drive with everything, including your legs without your butt leaving the bench. About 3/4 of the way up flair your elbows just a bit and lock out. I little uncomfortable to get used to the proper form but the goal is to bench big not be comfortable.
    What you say here makes alot of sense to me. I hardly ever do inclines and never do cable work for my chest, hence my lagging chest size compared to everything else. I do feel it in my legs after a test, so I would say yes, I'm using some leg drive. I just recently in the last couple of weeks started a leg routine (Squats). Previously a neglected muscle group for me, except when I row. I have read some material about bench press technique and have been doing it pretty close to what you describe after some trial and error. In the begining I was flaring my elbows out from the start and learned pretty quickly to tuck them in, although I may be leaving them tucked in at lock - out. I will try your suggestion and flare a little close to lock-out. Also I may be touching the bar just below where the rib cage comes together. Should I go lower than this? I think my biggest problem has been with pulling my shoulder blades together in the back, it feels akward to hold them like this to say the least. Should the shoulder blades be pulled together during the whole movement and set?

Thanks for the helpful feedback!
    Last edited by jon356a; 06-03-2010 at 11:01 AM.

keep your shoulders pulled back and your whole upper back keep everything as tight as you can. and on where to touch? get set up with just the bar bring it down and have someone tell you where your wrists and elbows are in line and touch there.

carpent6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carpent6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carpent6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carpent6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carpent6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carpent6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carpent6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carpent6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carpent6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carpent6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yep hold your upper back tight through the whole lift. Like I said, not comfortable but comfort isn't the goal.