fattymk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Fat crisis - need advice and help. warning: pics

hello everyone

i'm 21 years old and 6'2. i am now 238 lbs (~30% BF)

i started off 5 years ago at 280lbs in high school. finally i decided to visit this website, i learned about fitday.com and i got my act together. after posting here for advice, i learned a lot about dieting and exercise and dropped down to 220 pounds within 3 months (summer time)
    - i was dieting and running about 4-6 miles a day
    after the summer, i went down to 215 and maintained it for about two years. (no gym, only running)
    however, even at 215, my body was very ... nasty, i didn't like what i saw in the mirror. I don't have a picture at 280 lbs but here is a picture at ~220 lbs:
    (3 years ago)
    img153.imageshack.us/img153/2504/39609440.png
    img241.imageshack.us/img241/9200/90853827.png
    This is my body AFTER losing 60 pounds...

I began to lose heart so I stopped dieting but I started going to the gym and running less.
    As the years progressed, I was never able to get back into my original dieting habits, so clearly that was the problem. My self-consciousness and bad influences led me to try different fat burners and eventually I tried a steroid for two weeks(Anavar).
    Regardless, I was not able to lose weight - mainly because of my diet.

NOW, for the last two weeks my schedule has been as follows:

2 mile jog in the morning:
    1800 calories during the day including a mix of any of the following:
    oatmeal,
    egg whites,
    veggies,
    chicken breast
    1tblspn nat. peanut butter
    turkey breast
    tuna fish
    brown rice
    whole wheat bread/wrap
    whey protein
    orange/apple
    and ending with a 2 mile jog and 45min-hour workout

i finally got that motivation back to lose weight, but this time I'm not just running. I want to get my body lean, and I know it's going to be hard.

Here is me NOW at 238lbs:
    img340.imageshack.us/img340/7173/onefcq.jpg
    img192.imageshack.us/img192/8284/twow.jpg

My question: Is my diet/cardio enough?
    I'm eating about 1800-1900 calories a day, 200g protein and running 4 miles a day.
    I clearly do not work out my back/abs enough/at all ...
    any specific advice for workouts for my lower back (gross) and stomach?

sorry for the long read, but thanks everyone and i'd appreciate it if we kept the roasting to a minimum

its not just water weight Webber91's Avatar
    Webber91 is a name known to all. (+5000) Webber91 is a name known to all. (+5000) Webber91 is a name known to all. (+5000) Webber91 is a name known to all. (+5000) Webber91 is a name known to all. (+5000) Webber91 is a name known to all. (+5000) Webber91 is a name known to all. (+5000) Webber91 is a name known to all. (+5000) Webber91 is a name known to all. (+5000) Webber91 is a name known to all. (+5000) Webber91 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Firstly, I'd probably up your calories a heap. You weigh 238lbs...not trying to bash on you or anything but I'm 160 and cutting at 1800. Start with more, then as you start to plateau gradually reduce calories by 50-100.

What does your current workout look like? Not running, but weights wise. How many sets, how many reps, how much rest time in between?

Originally Posted by Webber91 View Post
    Firstly, I'd probably up your calories a heap. You weigh 238lbs...not trying to bash on you or anything but I'm 160 and cutting at 1800. Start with more, then as you start to plateau gradually reduce calories by 50-100.

What does your current workout look like? Not running, but weights wise. How many sets, how many reps, how much rest time in between?
    about 15 sets, 3 reps each

30sec-1 min rest in between each

i get really lazy when it comes to back, but after taking thosepictures, i saw what my back looked like after a long time and i think that's enough motivation to start wroking out my back.

smt1 is just really nice. (+1000) smt1 is just really nice. (+1000) smt1 is just really nice. (+1000) smt1 is just really nice. (+1000) smt1 is just really nice. (+1000) smt1 is just really nice. (+1000) smt1 is just really nice. (+1000) smt1 is just really nice. (+1000) smt1 is just really nice. (+1000) smt1 is just really nice. (+1000) smt1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by fattymk View Post
    about 15 sets, 3 reps each

30sec-1 min rest in between each
    15 sets of what? List what weight training exercises you do.
    Last edited by smt1; 05-29-2010 at 09:37 PM.

Arcita has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arcita has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arcita has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arcita has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arcita has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arcita has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arcita has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arcita has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arcita has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arcita has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arcita has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My advice to you:

1. Get serious with your weight-lifting. More muscle means that you burn more fat faster.

2. Add HIIT (high intensity interval training) into your cardio. Jogging is great, but your body has become accustomed to it. It's time to switch things up and shock your body if you want to change!

3. Consider a ketogenic diet. One which your macro percentages are 65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbohydrate. I know it flies in the face of everything you have heard before in your life, but it really works, and it is perfectly healthy.

4. Consider an EC stack (ephedrine + caffeine). It's very important that you DO NOT do hiit training if you do take this, and you have to make sure to hydrate very well, and also do not take this if you have hypertension.

Also, don't think of this as a sprint, but rather a marathon or a journey. If you sprint in a race that is very long, then you won't even reach the finish line. Stay within your means, and be consistent.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by smt1 View Post
    15 sets of what? List what weight training exercise you do.

chest:
    bench: flat incline decline (3 sets of 10 reps)
    dumbbell flies (3 sets of 10 reps)
    cable crossovers (3 sets of 10 reps)

shoulders:
    dumbbell shoulder press (3 sets of 10 reps)
    military press (3 sets of 10 reps)
    dumbbell lateral raise (3 sets of 10 reps)
    front raises (3 sets of 10 reps)
    barbell upright row (3 sets of 10 reps)
    dumbbell shrugs (4 sets of 10 reps)

biceps:
    Alternate Bicep Curl (3 sets of 10 reps)
    barbell hammer curl? (3 sets of 10 reps)
    Concentration Curls (3 sets of 10 reps)
    Cable Rope Hammer Curls (3 sets of 10 reps)
    Single Arm Cable Curls (3 sets of 10 reps)

triceps:
    extensions (4 sets of 10 reps)
    close grip bench (3 sets of 10 reps)
    cable pushdown (3 sets of 10 reps)
    cable single arm extensions superset with rope pushdowns (3 sets of 10 reps each)

and the rare days i do back:
    front pulldowns
    parallel pulldowns?
    incline rows

Arcita has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arcita has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arcita has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arcita has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arcita has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arcita has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arcita has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arcita has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arcita has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arcita has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Arcita has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You don't even think about training legs at all?

Back and legs are the most important body parts to train in my opinion. Get some squats and deadlifts in your routine asap.

mczern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mczern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mczern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mczern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mczern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mczern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mczern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mczern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mczern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mczern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mczern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First of all congratulations on losing the weight you've already lost. I've been in your shoes before and it's a hard thing to do.

Obviously what you were doing to begin with was working, so either your intensity dropped, or you are underestimating your macro's.

If your macro's really are in check and you are accurately eating around 1800 calories a day, you could probably increase them by 300-500 calories and that will help with more intense workouts.

Also, if you have been doing the same routine for some time now you should think about changing it up some. Instead of doing 2 miles for your jog, go up to 3 miles. Or start doing sprints at the end of your jog, but gradually increase what you do. The point is not to let your body get used to the exercises you do and to continually push yourself outside of your comfort zone. Your results will be much better if you make yourself hurt when you train.

In 2004 I was 315lbs and it's now 2010 and I'm 204 currently and I'm still trying to get myself to where I want to be. It just takes time but stay consistent with your regime and if you find yourself unhappy with your results then play around with it. Keep up the good work.

Dimensionally Gifted KingOfChaos's Avatar
    KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    WTF no legs. lol

Add legs and you'll lose weight faster. Don't be lazy.
    http://www.alanaragon.com/
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/
    http://www.leangains.com/

mczern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mczern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mczern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mczern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mczern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mczern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mczern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mczern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mczern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mczern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mczern has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Arcita View Post
    My advice to you:

1. Get serious with your weight-lifting. More muscle means that you burn more fat faster.

2. Add HIIT (high intensity interval training) into your cardio. Jogging is great, but your body has become accustomed to it. It's time to switch things up and shock your body if you want to change!

3. Consider a ketogenic diet. One which your macro percentages are 65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbohydrate. I know it flies in the face of everything you have heard before in your life, but it really works, and it is perfectly healthy.

4. Consider an EC stack (ephedrine + caffeine). It's very important that you DO NOT do hiit training if you do take this, and you have to make sure to hydrate very well, and also do not take this if you have hypertension.

Also, don't think of this as a sprint, but rather a marathon or a journey. If you sprint in a race that is very long, then you won't even reach the finish line. Stay within your means, and be consistent.

Good luck.
    Pretty good advice here.. I would say EC stack is a little over board as there is no substitute for hard work and dedication but getting serious about weight lifting and exercise is a must.

I also did keto for a few months earlier this year and had great success (hee) with it. In about 2-3 weeks I went from 235 to about 210. There is a lot of water weight loss in that, but because I found myself more satisfied with a high fat diet I was able to cut calories greatly which is why I think it worked so well for me.

Just stay consistent with whatever regimen you come up with and give it time to work. Don't let yourself get discouraged if you aren't happy with the results, just change things up until you find something that works good for you.

Jerok88 is just really nice. (+1000) Jerok88 is just really nice. (+1000) Jerok88 is just really nice. (+1000) Jerok88 is just really nice. (+1000) Jerok88 is just really nice. (+1000) Jerok88 is just really nice. (+1000) Jerok88 is just really nice. (+1000) Jerok88 is just really nice. (+1000) Jerok88 is just really nice. (+1000) Jerok88 is just really nice. (+1000) Jerok88 is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you take ANYTHING away from this thread. It is to start doing squats and dead lifts.
    ~Ron Paul 2012~

Kansas City Chiefs fan.

Kansas City Royals fan.

afischer5906 is on a distinguished road. (+10) afischer5906 is on a distinguished road. (+10) afischer5906 is on a distinguished road. (+10) afischer5906 is on a distinguished road. (+10) afischer5906 is on a distinguished road. (+10) afischer5906 is on a distinguished road. (+10) afischer5906 is on a distinguished road. (+10) afischer5906 is on a distinguished road. (+10) afischer5906 is on a distinguished road. (+10) afischer5906 is on a distinguished road. (+10) afischer5906 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hello everyone

i'm 21 years old and 6'2. i am now 238 lbs (~30% BF)

i started off 5 years ago at 280lbs in high school. finally i decided to visit this website, i learned about fitday.com and i got my act together. after posting here for advice, i learned a lot about dieting and exercise and dropped down to 220 pounds within 3 months (summer time)
    - i was dieting and running about 4-6 miles a day
    after the summer, i went down to 215 and maintained it for about two years. (no gym, only running)
    however, even at 215, my body was very ... nasty, i didn't like what i saw in the mirror. I don't have a picture at 280 lbs but here is a picture at ~220 lbs:
    (3 years ago)
    img153.imageshack.us/img153/2504/39609440.png
    img241.imageshack.us/img241/9200/90853827.png
    This is my body AFTER losing 60 pounds...

I began to lose heart so I stopped dieting but I started going to the gym and running less.
    As the years progressed, I was never able to get back into my original dieting habits, so clearly that was the problem. My self-consciousness and bad influences led me to try different fat burners and eventually I tried a steroid for two weeks(Anavar).
    Regardless, I was not able to lose weight - mainly because of my diet.

NOW, for the last two weeks my schedule has been as follows:

2 mile jog in the morning:
    1800 calories during the day including a mix of any of the following:
    oatmeal,
    egg whites,
    veggies,
    chicken breast
    1tblspn nat. peanut butter
    turkey breast
    tuna fish
    brown rice
    whole wheat bread/wrap
    whey protein
    orange/apple
    and ending with a 2 mile jog and 45min-hour workout

i finally got that motivation back to lose weight, but this time I'm not just running. I want to get my body lean, and I know it's going to be hard.

Here is me NOW at 238lbs:
    img340.imageshack.us/img340/7173/onefcq.jpg
    img192.imageshack.us/img192/8284/twow.jpg

My question: Is my diet/cardio enough?
    I'm eating about 1800-1900 calories a day, 200g protein and running 4 miles a day.
    I clearly do not work out my back/abs enough/at all ...
    any specific advice for workouts for my lower back (gross) and stomach?

sorry for the long read, but thanks everyone and i'd appreciate it if we kept the roasting to a minimum
    Honestly drop all carbs accept for veggies... Your body will burn your 30% BF for what it needs for energy.

nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    chest:
    bench: flat incline decline (3 sets of 10 reps)
    dumbbell flies (3 sets of 10 reps)
    cable crossovers (3 sets of 10 reps)

shoulders:
    dumbbell shoulder press (3 sets of 10 reps)
    military press (3 sets of 10 reps)
    dumbbell lateral raise (3 sets of 10 reps)
    front raises (3 sets of 10 reps)
    barbell upright row (3 sets of 10 reps)
    dumbbell shrugs (4 sets of 10 reps)

biceps:
    Alternate Bicep Curl (3 sets of 10 reps)
    barbell hammer curl? (3 sets of 10 reps)
    Concentration Curls (3 sets of 10 reps)
    Cable Rope Hammer Curls (3 sets of 10 reps)
    Single Arm Cable Curls (3 sets of 10 reps)

triceps:
    extensions (4 sets of 10 reps)
    close grip bench (3 sets of 10 reps)
    cable pushdown (3 sets of 10 reps)
    cable single arm extensions superset with rope pushdowns (3 sets of 10 reps each)

and the rare days i do back:
    front pulldowns
    parallel pulldowns?
    incline rows
    You're doing a 4-5 day part split? Why?

Compound lifts with some accessory lifts. Try push/pull or upper/lower 3-4 days a week, heavy as hell.

Legs belong in your mix. Back belongs in your mix.