klm83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) klm83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) klm83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) klm83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) klm83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) klm83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) klm83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) klm83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) klm83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) klm83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) klm83 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Trouble getting hamstrings to "activate" during deadlifts

With deadlifts....

I know the major muscle it works is the lower back... but should you feel it in the hamstrings at all? I feel like my hamstrings don't really "activate" much.

I've rarely ever in the past felt much in my hamstrings from any exercises. It seems like my quads and other muscles always take over. When I was in physical therapy a year ago, my therapist told me about some of my issues- my quads are much much stronger than my hamstrings, my inner thigh muscles are stronger than my outer thigh muscles (so my knees like to go inward), and my kneecaps are not aligned properly ("anatomically crooked" is what we joked). We worked together on doing deadlifts- but I didn't feel like my hamstrings were doing anything. We tried deadlifts on a box- still couldn't get the hamstrings to fire. The only way we ever found a solution was by kneeling while the therapist crouched behind me and held my ankles down. I would "fall" as slowly as possible into a push-up position, then push back up again and repeat. That seems like it's been the only time I really feel my hamstrings doing a lot of work.

So now, I've been doing the NROLFW workouts for a couple of weeks.. and I'm doing the deadlifts... but again- I feel like my hamstrings aren't working much. Is this normal? I mean... I know it's sort of a secondary muscle being worked... but I just feel like it isn't working much at all.

I've been reading "Starting Strength" and watching videos online, trying to watch myself in the mirror and repeat the movements as they should be... I feel pretty good that I'm using correct form (although I might still hire a trainer anyways just to be double sure). Maybe the hamstring thing isn't that critical?

Any thoughts?

hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Are you sure you're pushing through your heels? I think you should check your form. Watch the videos on this site, it really helped me with my form. Hopefully others will weigh in
    Push it to the limit!!!!

Favorite saying - GO GET IT!

I am a "beastess" - thanks Brian!!!

12-11-10 first powerlifting meet
    314.16/187/341 - 843 lbs total raw!

3-26-11 USPA state championship
    314.16/198.7/352 - 865lbs total raw - best female raw lifter (Open division)

On to nationals!!!

inbetweendays will become famous soon enough. (+50) inbetweendays will become famous soon enough. (+50) inbetweendays will become famous soon enough. (+50) inbetweendays will become famous soon enough. (+50) inbetweendays will become famous soon enough. (+50) inbetweendays will become famous soon enough. (+50) inbetweendays will become famous soon enough. (+50) inbetweendays will become famous soon enough. (+50) inbetweendays will become famous soon enough. (+50) inbetweendays will become famous soon enough. (+50) inbetweendays will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Have you tried Romanian deadlifts? They really hit my hamstrings like nothing else. You have to stick your butt back really far for these in order to feel it, but once you do, you'll see what I mean.

Also, consider using a really wide grip with your conventional deadlifts. You might have to lower the weight to try this, but taking a wide grip forces you further down at the start and recruits more of the butt and hamstrings.
    I hate qualifiers.

viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It more than likely has to do with your hip angle at the bottom of the movement... from the floor, your thighs should be ATLEAST parallel to the ground, if not below. The lower you can take your booty, the better for your posterior chain.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do some Romanian and Sumo style deadlifts.

I hit them even more when using heavy DB's and standing on a 45 lb plate. It hits them perfect!
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam greyhair's Avatar
    greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hamstrings are a stabilizer in the dead lift.
    It is entirely possible for you to have a very low hamstring activation and do a very good dead lift.
    Deadlifts are great and reliably hit the glutes, quads and spinal erectors.
    But if your having trouble hitting the hams, you might want to add a ham exercise.
    But those who fight for right must remember St. Augustine's sage words,
    "right is right even if no one is doing it...and wrong is wrong even if every one is doing it!"
    -----------
    Got Causality?
    -----------
    God, Duty, Honour, Country

akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by klm83 View Post
    With deadlifts....

I know the major muscle it works is the lower back... but should you feel it in the hamstrings at all? I feel like my hamstrings don't really "activate" much.

I've rarely ever in the past felt much in my hamstrings from any exercises. It seems like my quads and other muscles always take over. When I was in physical therapy a year ago, my therapist told me about some of my issues- my quads are much much stronger than my hamstrings, my inner thigh muscles are stronger than my outer thigh muscles (so my knees like to go inward), and my kneecaps are not aligned properly ("anatomically crooked" is what we joked). We worked together on doing deadlifts- but I didn't feel like my hamstrings were doing anything. We tried deadlifts on a box- still couldn't get the hamstrings to fire. The only way we ever found a solution was by kneeling while the therapist crouched behind me and held my ankles down. I would "fall" as slowly as possible into a push-up position, then push back up again and repeat. That seems like it's been the only time I really feel my hamstrings doing a lot of work.

So now, I've been doing the NROLFW workouts for a couple of weeks.. and I'm doing the deadlifts... but again- I feel like my hamstrings aren't working much. Is this normal? I mean... I know it's sort of a secondary muscle being worked... but I just feel like it isn't working much at all.

I've been reading "Starting Strength" and watching videos online, trying to watch myself in the mirror and repeat the movements as they should be... I feel pretty good that I'm using correct form (although I might still hire a trainer anyways just to be double sure). Maybe the hamstring thing isn't that critical?

Any thoughts?
    When I began really prioritizing my hamstrings, I would superset lying leg curls (usually the 21's version), with Stiff-legged deadlifts- then I would stretch my hamstrings really well afterwards to further get that "mind/muscle" connection.

When I'm training a client and they can't feel their hamstrings working, I usually find it's because they either have really flexible hammies to the point where their legs almost hyperextend or extremely poor flexibility. Those who fall somewhere in the middle seem to do the best, not sure if this is an issue for you at all. I will put them up on a box to get more of a range of motion (my advanced clients only), bring their feet closer than shoulder-width together and lighten the weight a bit so they can really focus on the hamstrings without the lower back coming in too much.
    NASM CPT, NFPT Master Trainer, Psychology Major
    www.figarellesfitness.com
    www.********.com/figarellesfitness
    https://twitter.com/stephfigarelle

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam greyhair's Avatar
    greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000)
    With deadlifts....

The only way we ever found a solution was by kneeling while the therapist crouched behind me and held my ankles down. I would "fall" as slowly as possible into a push-up position, then push back up again and repeat. That seems like it's been the only time I really feel my hamstrings doing a lot of work.
    Looks like this, no?
    A pretty good direct hamstring movement.
    Hard to modulate the intensity however.

Seated Hamstring machines are pretty good at hitting all the heads of the hamstrings.

If you really want to hit the hams, do a set of standing calfs just before the set of hamstrings.
    This will pre-exhaust the Soleus (the Soleus can bend the knee) and force all of the work to be done by the hams.
    But those who fight for right must remember St. Augustine's sage words,
    "right is right even if no one is doing it...and wrong is wrong even if every one is doing it!"
    -----------
    Got Causality?
    -----------
    God, Duty, Honour, Country

klm83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) klm83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) klm83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) klm83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) klm83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) klm83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) klm83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) klm83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) klm83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) klm83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) klm83 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    That top video is EXACTLY what I was doing with my therapist.

Thank you all for the different suggestions and ideas. I'm going to try the ideas mentioned and see which/what seems to do it for me.

djo1879 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Try this

I had the same issue a simple fix is to work on your hip hinge so instead of bending your knees at setup first poke your butt out till you feel your hammys stretch then bend your knees to get the rest of the way all while keeping your hips hinged so you feel your hammys pull. You may just need your hips raised a little and knees less bend to put the tension on the hamstring.

Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    Do some Romanian and Sumo style deadlifts.

I hit them even more when using heavy DB's and standing on a 45 lb plate. It hits them perfect!
    Are your heels on the plate?
    Under Construction.

dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Stretch stretch and more stretches you need to activate the glutes and the hamstrings. I'm also "knock-kneed" but have learned to activate using my glutes too with so much stretching which is so important - it will then come but we have to work harder than most!
    Sometimes I feel like giving up....

Then I remember I have a lot of mother****ers to prove wrong!

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by greyhair View Post
    If you really want to hit the hams, do a set of standing calfs just before the set of hamstrings.
    This will pre-exhaust the Soleus (the Soleus can bend the knee) and force all of the work to be done by the hams.
    The best way to pre-exhaust the Soleus muscle is to do Seated Calf Raises and Deep Squats. The Soleus muscle can assist in bending the knee only in closed-chain movements like squatting due to its anatomy. Not sure what exercise you mean by "the set of hamstrings".

Attached Images
    Harmonia Early Music: http://www.harmoniaearlymusic.org
    SymphonyCast: http://symphonycast.org
    Performance Today: http://performancetoday.publicradio.org
    Studio360: http://www.studio360.org
    RadioLab: http://www.radiolab.org
    TED Radio Hour: http://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/
    This American Life: http://www.thisamericanlife.org
    On Being: http://www.onbeing.org
    Snap Judgment: http://www.snapjudgment.org/radio-show
    Radio IQ: http://wvtf.org
    LibriVox: https://librivox.org/

medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Jetigen View Post
    The best way to pre-exhaust the Soleus muscle is to do Seated Calf Raises and Deep Squats. The Soleus muscle can assist in bending the knee only in closed-chain movements like squatting due to its anatomy. Not sure what exercise you mean by "the set of hamstrings".
    5+ years later, he probably won't answer you.
    -

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by medjen View Post
    5+ years later, he probably won't answer you.
    Oh..ok. Didn't realize the thread was bumped.
    Harmonia Early Music: http://www.harmoniaearlymusic.org
    SymphonyCast: http://symphonycast.org
    Performance Today: http://performancetoday.publicradio.org
    Studio360: http://www.studio360.org
    RadioLab: http://www.radiolab.org
    TED Radio Hour: http://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/
    This American Life: http://www.thisamericanlife.org
    On Being: http://www.onbeing.org
    Snap Judgment: http://www.snapjudgment.org/radio-show
    Radio IQ: http://wvtf.org
    LibriVox: https://librivox.org/

SmarterFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmarterFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmarterFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmarterFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmarterFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmarterFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmarterFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmarterFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmarterFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmarterFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) SmarterFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Jetigen View Post
    Oh..ok. Didn't realize the thread was bumped.
    even if it is an old thread someone like me might find your post and appreciate it...nothing wasted...
    Remember the only way to fail is to stop trying to succeed!

likeafish is a name known to all. (+5000) likeafish is a name known to all. (+5000) likeafish is a name known to all. (+5000) likeafish is a name known to all. (+5000) likeafish is a name known to all. (+5000) likeafish is a name known to all. (+5000) likeafish is a name known to all. (+5000) likeafish is a name known to all. (+5000) likeafish is a name known to all. (+5000) likeafish is a name known to all. (+5000) likeafish is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Jodie10 View Post
    Are your heels on the plate?
    The entire foot is on a plate. It's called an elevated or deficit DL and gives you slightly different leverage in regards to the bar placement and makes the ROM bigger. It's also useful for long-limbed lifters. You can use the stairsteppers or a block of wood as well.

Csbbxo is not very well liked. (-100) Csbbxo is not very well liked. (-100) Csbbxo is not very well liked. (-100) Csbbxo is not very well liked. (-100) Csbbxo is not very well liked. (-100) Csbbxo is not very well liked. (-100) Csbbxo is not very well liked. (-100) Csbbxo is not very well liked. (-100) Csbbxo is not very well liked. (-100) Csbbxo is not very well liked. (-100) Csbbxo is not very well liked. (-100)
    With deadlifts....

Any thoughts?
    I had this problem.
    It all comes down to imagination, as silly as it may seem.
    I imagine deadlifting whilst hitting my hamstrings.. This has helped my form and activation. Try and feel those hams.
    Stiffed leg deads is what I sick to...not brave enough to do the bent legged... Nearly injured myself the last time!
    A fail is never a fail, just so long as there was an attempt.