spat13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Gaining Weight (too) fast?

I'm a 24 year old male, about 6'0 and weighed in at 145 pounds in mid-January of this year. I have adopted a pretty good training program (3-4 times a week, very heavy/short reps), and close to doubled my calorie intake from roughly 2200/day to at least 3800 according to the logs I try to keep up with. The only supplemental stuff I have been taking has been creatine and weight gain powder.

I have noticed over the past five months that my arms, chest and legs are getting bigger and my shoulders are becoming rounder, etc., which is a good thing, but my weight has gone from 145 pounds to about 170 pounds this month. My six pack from being naturally skinny is basically gone and my core has become a lot less cut and lot more rounded over these months as well.

I'm not on any sort of steroid, but 20+ pounds in five months is a lot more than I expected, especially since prior to adopting this workout regime I figured in a good month I may be able to throw on two or three pounds of muscle. I also understand that the vast majority of that weight is fat, since my BMI went from about 8% in January to around 13% now. I have been trying to be strict about what I'm eating (i.e. mostly high protein/carb food), but with how busy I am I have to admit I'll grab a grilled chicken sandwich and fries from a generic fast food restaurant if I'm on the go, usually once or twice a week.

My question though is now that I'm reaching my mid-20s, I know my metabolism is going to start to slow down and I think that's contributing to how fast I'm gaining. My goal is to be between 180-200 pounds, but I think at the current rate, I'm going to blow right past that. Should I start limiting my caloric intake? Or keep the calories the same and just work out longer and harder? The past two weeks I've only been able to make it to the gym about four times total, so the fact that I'm not hitting the weights as frequently may be contributing also - although I don't do any cardio at all, strictly weights. But if this much weight gain is happening in this short of a time span, should I start really cutting back on my diet?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for me about a good supplement to take during the day and pre-workout? A coworker mentioned "Jack3d" as a good supplement to try. It would help me push myself since I work out alone, and I'm doing a heavy weight routine.

Thanks in advance for any advice/information!

grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Well, at 145 pounds you were very skinny. Your body was probably ecstatic to have some more food and went work turning you normal-weight. 170 is fine. Expect some fat gain with a bulking diet. As a very underweight young untrained male, you can gain more than 2 pounds of muscle a month for a couple of months.

That being said, if you're gaining weight too fast and gaining too much fat for you, then cut your calories down to about 3300. See if that helps.

Oh, and in the future post these topics to the nutrition section. Good luck.
    GOMAD!

WillBeFit23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WillBeFit23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WillBeFit23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) WillBeFit23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    What do you usually eat? You taking any supplements? I'm 23 and 147 right now. So I'm looking to gain/ and get toned

spat13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by WillBeFit23 View Post
    What do you usually eat? You taking any supplements? I'm 23 and 147 right now. So I'm looking to gain/ and get toned
    Lots of protein, carbs, and good fats. Eggs, tuna, wheat, peanut butter, grilled chicken and rice and/or pasta are ingested basically daily. I have about four medium sized meals a day (800-1000 calories per meal) and normally after I work out I'll down a weight gain shake. I use the ON brand Serious Mass powder that I get from this site. Lots of calories and protein in a serving.

Hope this helps!

ixelerate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ixelerate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ixelerate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ixelerate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ixelerate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ixelerate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ixelerate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ixelerate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ixelerate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ixelerate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ixelerate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was the same as you! I was 145 when I entered college last year at 6 foot even. I then pigged out and at everything in sight. With that dirty bulk I ballooned up to 184. My mom and friends all made fun of me as I had lost my abs completely and gotten really fat. I did get stronger, but it was not worth what I looked like. I then cut down to 155, before bulking back up to 180. Now, I am on another cut to lose all this stupid fat, and then on to an extremely clean bulk. Normal gain should be about a pound a week. Normally, anymore than that will be gained as fat.