Registered User just1moreskinny's Avatar
    just1moreskinny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

NOOB has some questions after reading through the forums

I tried to be a good noob and read through man threads in the nutrition and weightlifting sections and gained a lot of knowledge, but I have some follow up questions to ask anyone willing to answer my questions. I know answering noob questions gets pretty tiresome but I'd really appreciate the answers and it could really help me maximize my weight training.

After reading the stickies at the top of the page in the workout routine forum, I decided to go with the Ripptoe program. I had some elaborate custom plan all worked out but I decided to put that on the back burner and start with this program which many swear by.

However, in the writeup, it was mentioned that one following this routine should only do light cardio. However, I enjoy swimming and want to continue. Is 30 minutes 3 X per week okay for this program?

Also, which is more helpful: the book or the video? I can only afford one.

Now on to the nutrition:

I read many threads in this forum and gained some valuable knowledge, I still feel very confused about nutrition. I know a large portion of effectiveness in the weight room stems from getting the right nutrition.

I am almost 19 years old, 5'8" and 130 pounds currently. I do not know my current body fat, but last summer I think it was either 10.5 or 11.5, with a fast metabolism. I know there is a lot of talk about eating clean, but given my age and body type is this something I need to worry about a whole lot? Can I still eat an occasional pizza or burger or ice cream and be fine?

Basically my diet right now (the past few days since starting this program) consists of eggs, whole wheat bread, oatmeal, nuts, peanut butter and jelly, tuna fish, sandwich meat, whatever my mom cooks for dinner, fruit, cereal, and milk. This is going to get tiresome really quickly. I would really appreciate if people could give me some other ideas of foods i can eat that will give me the necessary carbs, protein, and fats for breakfast, snacks, lunch, pre-workout meals etc..

About post workout shakes, after some reading, it seems like I should try to keep the glucose to fructose ratio at around 3 to 1. My last protein shake had 1 cup milk, 2 scoops whey protein (had fructose in it), 2 tablespoons oats, 1 banana, and a handful of berries. Is this fine or do you guys have any recommendations on how to get to the right ratio? The post workout nutrition thread unfortunately was locked so I couldn't ask there.

Finally, how does offday nutrition change (if at all)? If I'm doing cardio in the form of swimming?

Thanks a bunch.
    Last edited by just1moreskinny; 05-25-2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Initial post was too long

ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000)
    tldr but I'll answer what I can

First, good for you for going with starting strength, too many people waste their time with their own programs and that one works very well. Second, in regards to your goals for total athleticism, you don't become a superbly conditioned athlete with incredible strength and cardiovascular capacity in one summer or one year. If you are a total beginner, you'll make big strides in all areas for a short amount of time. I doubt that swimming 3x/week is going to hurt your gains, just don't do extremely protracted sessions and eat more to compensate for lost calories. Hell, cardio even helps recovery for some people.

As far as your nutrition goes: You're pretty underweight. It's definitely a good idea to eat clean, but if you want to gain weight, you just need to eat more. Therefore a burger, pizza, or ice cream may not only be OK, but necessary sometimes. Rippetoe himself has Starting Strength initiates drink a gallon of whole milk a day for several months. I recommend the milk, it's easy to get down.

Don't worry too much about the minute details. Lift heavy, eat like a horse, sleep like a log, drink your milk. It'll work.
    Eternal Gym Rat, Student Physical Therapist. None of my post content should be taken as medical advice. Ask your doctor/PT.

Best Gym Lifts: 585/390/675 440 FS 265 OHP @203 No longer competing

I lift weights for fun

Originally Posted by ChecksandGiggles View Post
    tldr but I'll answer what I can

First, good for you for going with starting strength, too many people waste their time with their own programs and that one works very well. Second, in regards to your goals for total athleticism, you don't become a superbly conditioned athlete with incredible strength and cardiovascular capacity in one summer or one year. If you are a total beginner, you'll make big strides in all areas for a short amount of time. I doubt that swimming 3x/week is going to hurt your gains, just don't do extremely protracted sessions and eat more to compensate for lost calories. Hell, cardio even helps recovery for some people.

As far as your nutrition goes: You're pretty underweight. It's definitely a good idea to eat clean, but if you want to gain weight, you just need to eat more. Therefore a burger, pizza, or ice cream may not only be OK, but necessary sometimes. Rippetoe himself has Starting Strength initiates drink a gallon of whole milk a day for several months. I recommend the milk, it's easy to get down.

Don't worry too much about the minute details. Lift heavy, eat like a horse, sleep like a log, drink your milk. It'll work.
    Thanks, I know it's a long post but I just have a lot of questions. If no one reads it all because it's too long I guess I'll have to edit it back a bit.

I'm not a complete noob, as I took weightlifting my fall semester for 1 credit hour, was given an okay routine and did gain probably about 4-5 pounds of muscle. I tried my own routine spring semester but I got out of my routine, got really busy and wasn't able to get back into it again. I was on the swim team my senior year which gained me a few pounds of muscle there. If you think I'm underweight now, just imagine before the swim team and weightlifting class!

Bump....

I shortened it to make it less work to read. I could really use the help. Thanks.

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Total calories you eat per day (preferably the ones from carbs) should come down on off days.

Keep protein high (1-1.5g/lb and fat 0.4-0.5g/lb, the rest carbs)

Ice cream and anything else is fine assuming you meet and not exceed the above goals for the day.

Swimming is fine.

No food is a must or a no-no. Enjoy your food. Don't eat foods you don't like.

Ballpark your calories to meet your weight gain or weight loss goals so that you gain or lose about 1 lbs every 2 weeks or so.