lagfx is on a distinguished road. (+10) lagfx is on a distinguished road. (+10) lagfx is on a distinguished road. (+10) lagfx is on a distinguished road. (+10) lagfx is on a distinguished road. (+10) lagfx is on a distinguished road. (+10) lagfx is on a distinguished road. (+10) lagfx is on a distinguished road. (+10) lagfx is on a distinguished road. (+10) lagfx is on a distinguished road. (+10) lagfx is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Pure Protein Bars and Hydrolyzed Collagen

I see SO many threads bashing pure protein bars due to hydrolyzed collagen being the main protein source. Problem is, doing my own research, I discovered many sources like the one below. I also see a couple people who mentioned such information on this site and got ignored.

Seems like since people heard "collagen is bad" due to it being derived from basically animal waste (meaning bones, etc.) and not being complete / indigestible, anything containing it been completely banned. Seems like new research shows with it being hydrolyzed and combined with other proteins, makes it VERY beneficial is all regards including muscle and joint repair, etc...

http://www.gelatin-gmia.com/html/rawmaterials_app.html

Special Dietary Uses – Gelatin in hydrolyzed form is used to protein fortify dietary foods. Dried, hydrolyzed gelatin contains over 92% protein. Typically it is blended with other hydrolyzed proteins to balance the nutritional aspects of the amino acids. Soups, shakes, and fruit drinks are common uses for gelatin hydrolysates.

Dietary concerns with collagen protein have been misunderstood for many years. While collagen has been described as an empty protein, or one having little nutritional value, it does in fact contain many essential amino acids, and is readily digested.

C. E. Bodwell reported that collagen can replace 30-40% of the protein in meat and still deliver a protein efficiency ratio greater than 2.0. He went on to state that in practice, the addition of collagen to meat products at levels of 25-30% would not be expected to have a significant effect on the protein nutritional status of individuals consuming meat products. In the U.S., an excess of protein is routinely consumed and marginal levels of tryptophan are probably not of serious concern, stated Dr. Bodwell.

The digestibility of collagen is very high. Laser-Reutersward et al. Demonstrated that in rats, over 90% of collagen was truly digestible, regardless of whether the collagen was heat treated or not.

Rogowski graphically showed that mixtures of beef muscle and gelatin actually increased the biological value by 7% when gelatin was added as 16% of the mixture. A 50/50 blend of gelatin/beef muscle had the same biological value as beef muscle alone. The point is that although humans should consume combinations of proteins from various sources for optimum utilization of the amino acids, collagen (gelatin) can comprise from 25 to 50 % of the protein and still meet or exceed adult nutritional needs.

Gelatin is not a complete protein for mammalian nutrition. It lacks the essential amino acid tryptophan and is deficient in sulfur-containing amino acids. Amino acid analysis of gelatins derived from common collagen sources is given in Table 1.
    Has anybody discovered how much hydrolyzed collagen is in a pure protein bar? I think it's safe to assume its not 51%, because they could have cranked it down a notch to put a different protein source as the main to shut everybody up. What do you guys think?

Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000)
    who cares? Collagen is a crap form of protein. Why bother buying a bar that even contains a scrap of it? Obviously it is not a very good quality protein bar, and it is not like there is a shortage of brands to chose from

lagfx is on a distinguished road. (+10) lagfx is on a distinguished road. (+10) lagfx is on a distinguished road. (+10) lagfx is on a distinguished road. (+10) lagfx is on a distinguished road. (+10) lagfx is on a distinguished road. (+10) lagfx is on a distinguished road. (+10) lagfx is on a distinguished road. (+10) lagfx is on a distinguished road. (+10) lagfx is on a distinguished road. (+10) lagfx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Opies View Post
    who cares? Collagen is a crap form of protein. Why bother buying a bar that even contains a scrap of it? Obviously it is not a very good quality protein bar, and it is not like there is a shortage of brands to chose from
    I actually prefer the VPX bars, but what I'm trying to say is there may be a lot of misinformation about collagen. It's not complete because it doesn't contain tryptophan, but with that same logic peanut butter isn't a complete protein until its on bread. What about about collagen mixed with other protein sources?

Also, I can't find anything that says collagen is unhealthy. Even if it isn't a protein source, its not a filler.

any other thoughts?

I also see a couple people who mentioned such information on this site and got ignored.
    I appear to be next

WarEeyore is just really nice. (+1000) WarEeyore is just really nice. (+1000) WarEeyore is just really nice. (+1000) WarEeyore is just really nice. (+1000) WarEeyore is just really nice. (+1000) WarEeyore is just really nice. (+1000) WarEeyore is just really nice. (+1000) WarEeyore is just really nice. (+1000) WarEeyore is just really nice. (+1000) WarEeyore is just really nice. (+1000) WarEeyore is just really nice. (+1000)
    The only reason I eat protein bars is to keep my ass away from other candies. It is a great alternative to picking up a giant bag of m&ms. I'll take my 3:1 Ice Cream Sandwich or Pure Protein Marshmallow Eclipse, and as far as I'm concerned I've had no problem both seeing results and feeling better overall about my snack choice.

shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by WarEeyore View Post
    The only reason I eat protein bars is to keep my ass away from other candies. It is a great alternative to picking up a giant bag of m&ms. I'll take my 3:1 Ice Cream Sandwich or Pure Protein Marshmallow Eclipse, and as far as I'm concerned I've had no problem both seeing results and feeling better overall about my snack choice.
    I have a feeling 99.9% of people who supplement with protein/bars would ever notice a difference in their body comp if half of their protein sources were changed without their knowledge from whey/casein to soy/wheat/hemp/rice/etc.

People stress way too much about their protein sources.
    Latest Reviews:

My huge list of informative links: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132306613

Xtreme Formulations UP2 Multi-Flavor Review!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129562583

Non-Famous Non-Scientist koard31's Avatar
    koard31 is a name known to all. (+5000) koard31 is a name known to all. (+5000) koard31 is a name known to all. (+5000) koard31 is a name known to all. (+5000) koard31 is a name known to all. (+5000) koard31 is a name known to all. (+5000) koard31 is a name known to all. (+5000) koard31 is a name known to all. (+5000) koard31 is a name known to all. (+5000) koard31 is a name known to all. (+5000) koard31 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I use these and have for quite a while. Usually about 1 a day and for that 200 calorie window into my diet each day I don't really care where that protein comes from nor do I feel like it makes that big of a difference.
    A fan of not overthinking.

Hansolo261 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hansolo261 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hansolo261 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hansolo261 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hansolo261 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hansolo261 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hansolo261 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hansolo261 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hansolo261 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hansolo261 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hansolo261 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by shadar View Post
    I have a feeling 99.9% of people who supplement with protein/bars would ever notice a difference in their body comp if half of their protein sources were changed without their knowledge from whey/casein to soy/wheat/hemp/rice/etc.

People stress way too much about their protein sources.
    ^ this. alot of its mental. people think just because its not whey or casein they cant build muscle.
    Hemavol
    Potassium nitrate
    Reboot
    Phosphatidylserine
    Staples

Rhetorician is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rhetorician is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rhetorician is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rhetorician is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rhetorician is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rhetorician is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rhetorician is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rhetorician is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rhetorician is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rhetorician is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rhetorician is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What a great source...the Gelatin Manufacturers Institute of America...I'm sure they are as objective as they come....

The way I see it hydro-collagen = EAA...since it's already "digested" when you ingest it...wouldn't you jsut be better off literally every time with a more complete protein?

How could hydro-collagen ever be better than hydro-whey?
    Last edited by Rhetorician; 05-21-2010 at 12:01 PM.
    Strong-Ass Jew Crew

Originally Posted by WarEeyore View Post
    The whole idea is to get rid of the sugar cravings. Eating things that taste like sugar just keep the cravings coming. Once you overcome it, you won't want it anymore. 5 years ago in November, I was living on halloween candy because it was food and I had no concept of nutrition. Now I look at a bag of M&Ms and say "yuck". I prefer a cardboard tasting bar over one like pure protein, but I am attempting to defend the ingredients.

Originally Posted by Rhetorician View Post
    What a great source...the Gelatin Manufacturers Institute of America...I'm sure they are as objective as they come...

The way I see it hydro-collagen = EAA...since it's already "digested" when you ingest it...wouldn't you jsut be better off literally every time with a more complete protein?

How could hydro-collagen ever be better than hydro-whey?
    They all say the same thing. Even look at wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolyzed_collagen

Yeah we would be better off with a more complete protein, but everybody on the boards here believes hydro-collagen is a complete waste especially as a protein source. It never could be better than hydro-whey, but I don't believe it's a waste.
    Last edited by lagfx; 05-21-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Rhetorician is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rhetorician is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rhetorician is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rhetorician is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rhetorician is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rhetorician is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rhetorician is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rhetorician is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rhetorician is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rhetorician is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rhetorician is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by lagfx View Post
    They all say the same thing. Even look at wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolyzed_collagen

Yeah we would be better off with a more complete protein, but everybody on the boards here believes hydro-collagen is a complete waste especially as a protein source. It never could be better than hydro-whey, but I don't believe it's a waste.
    Is it cheaper than whey? I am not saying it's a waste, but maybe you could explain to me whats advantageous about it...
    Strong-Ass Jew Crew

Is it cheaper than whey? I am not saying it's a waste, but maybe you could explain to me whats advantageous about it...
    I guess that's what I'm trying to find out. I would like an expert on the topic to chime in, because if you look at the info on wikipedia, it appears to be highly advantageous. But people on the boards here say things like this.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2868431

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=618254

And if you search for collagen, you will only find threads asking for supplements that do NOT contain collagen.

Found some interesting info:

Pure protein's "whey shot" first protein source is collagen. Doesn't really sound like a WHEY shot to me...

http://stayfitnutrition.com/champion...y-shot-45.aspx

Also, I picked up a box of pure protein bars at target and noticed they no longer contain collagen. ummmmm......

Found some interesting info:

Pure protein's "whey shot" first protein source is collagen. Doesn't really sound like a WHEY shot to me...

http://stayfitnutrition.com/champion...y-shot-45.aspx

Also, I picked up a box of pure protein bars at target and noticed they no longer contain collagen. ummmmm......
    You should see what you can dig up on isatori's liquid morph+
    Strong-Ass Jew Crew

You should see what you can dig up on isatori's liquid morph+
    hmmmm how do they get so much protein from so many sources but with absolutely no fat or cholesterol?

hmmmm how do they get so much protein from so many sources but with absolutely no fat or cholesterol?
    Let's figure that out! We should press a board rep to divulge the breakdown...
    Strong-Ass Jew Crew

Originally Posted by Opies View Post
    to bring this back up - just noticed VPX zero impact bars have hydro collagen, and they are regarded as one of (if not the) best bar on the market. but its not listed as a protein source, but as "full spectrum amino acids"

xR1pp3Rx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xR1pp3Rx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xR1pp3Rx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xR1pp3Rx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xR1pp3Rx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xR1pp3Rx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xR1pp3Rx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xR1pp3Rx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xR1pp3Rx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xR1pp3Rx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xR1pp3Rx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i dont really use HC , but i havae had a few friends use it who were in their 50s and they swear it helps their joints and makes them feel alot younger. but thats all i got