Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast
    Unleash The Beast Within coolaidml's Avatar
    coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Drewdg04 View Post
    Question about my diet. I'm 6'2 185 lbs and would like to know if you see any weak spots in my diet. This is what my meal for day 1

Breakfast-2 whole eggs, 3 egg whites 1 slice whole wheat toast (pinched a little olive oil on the bread for good measure)

Post work/meal 2- 2 scoops 100% whey protein (gold standard) 1 peanut butter jelly sandwich (wheat bread)

Meal 3- Another PP&J with wheat bread

Meal 4-Chicken Caesar salad apprx 8oz chx breast and regular caesar dressing

Meal 5- 2 scoops 100% whey protein

Meal 6- 8-10oz steak, green beans and chopped potatoes (boiled)

Thank you for any help!

What is your goal? Bulking or cutting?

Meal 3 regardless needs some protein...

Drewdg04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by coolaidml View Post
    What is your goal? Bulking or cutting?

Meal 3 regardless needs some protein...

Bulking

manikanth2304 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi,
    Thanks for the Workout Program.I want to try this workout from next week.
    I have couple of questions
    1)Can i do cardio for 1 hour will effect my gains?
    2)can i do yoga instead of cardio for 2 hours?

coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Drewdg04 View Post
    Question about my diet. I'm 6'2 185 lbs and would like to know if you see any weak spots in my diet. This is what my meal for day 1

Breakfast-2 whole eggs, 3 egg whites 1 slice whole wheat toast (pinched a little olive oil on the bread for good measure)

Post work/meal 2- 2 scoops 100% whey protein (gold standard) 1 peanut butter jelly sandwich (wheat bread)

Meal 3- Another PP&J with wheat bread

Meal 4-Chicken Caesar salad apprx 8oz chx breast and regular caesar dressing

Meal 5- 2 scoops 100% whey protein

Meal 6- 8-10oz steak, green beans and chopped potatoes (boiled)

Thank you for any help!

If you could please break down your calories/fat/carbs for each of those meals we can then give you a better answer...

Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by PJ1989 View Post
    Hi Derek,
    I am currently on week 10 of the bulking trainer and have seen great improvement in my physique. However, being an Ectomorph my weight has fluctuated and stayed roughly the same.
    I'm not too bothered about my weight as I am stronger and fit much better in my clothes nowadays.
    Would it be wise of me to carry on with this program after the 12 weeks or move on to another program. If so, what programs would you recommend?

Cheers
    Paul
    If you have gotten stronger and look better then you are doing good. You could either repeat this program or do my Tri-Phase program.

Originally Posted by dumborambo View Post
    hi derek

if MEAL says that i need to take 60 grams(3/4 cup) of oatmeal and 4 oz of chicken is it to be cooked or uncooked?

how much grams of oatmeal is equal to 60grams of cooked oatmeal?
    on cooking 1 cup brown rice how much will i get?
    1 Cup UNCOOKED Oatmeal = 60g of carbs
    1 1/3 Cup COOKED Rice = 60g of carbs

Oatmeal is easier to measure before cooked and rice is easier to measure after being cooked.

Originally Posted by coolaidml View Post
    I am having a real tough time pounding down 6 meals a day. I often feel so stuffed at night when going to bed that i hardly sleep feeling to full and bloated. Any suggestions?

I have tried eating my dinner earlier before going to bed so it has more time to digest but sometimes it still doesn't help. I drink a casein shake also right for going to bed and often feel awful chugging it down however I am committed so i do it anyway..... Am i hurting my body by feeling like this? I have struggled putting on muscle for so long and I don't want to give up but I often feel almost like throwing up at night from eating so much throughout the day.

I was thinking about getting digestive enzymes, think it would help?
    You could switch to 5 larger meals, which would give you more time between meals and may make things easier for you.

Originally Posted by turtle2486 View Post
    Derek, man thanks SO much for this program. I intend to begin the program on Monday the 16th and this week I'm doing something that I've never done in the whole year that I've been working out so far...planning my nutrition. To that end, I need some help from you. You told a guy on this forum who was 285 lbs, 44% body fat and 27 years old the following:

Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    You could use this program and the nutrition outlined, but instead of increasing your calories as you go you would decrease as needed (I would keep protein and fat as is and decrease your carb intake).
    Taking that into consideration (my stats are: 34 year old male, 40.2% body fat, 6ft 1in, 272 lbs and my long term goal is 245 lbs, 20% body fat) I have a couple of questions:

1. From the calculations on the week one Wednesday video, I determined that my calories and macros are as follows (this is all based on my lean body mass of 163 lbs since I'm so overweight & 5 meals/day):

calories = 2445
    protein = 163 grams (652 calories from protein/day and 32.6g protein/meal)
    fat = 81.5 grams (733.5 calories from fat/day and 16 - 17 g fat/meal)
    carbs = 265 grams (1059 calories from carbs/day and 53 g carbs/meal)

BUT I also checked the nutrition forum and read about the Katch-McArdle method of calculating calories which gave me 2360 cal/day if I'm trying to lose weight. So, I took your advise and recalculated with less calories (2360 cal/day) and kept the protein and fats the same and played with the carbs and this is what I came up with:

calories = 2360
    protein = 163 grams (652 calories from protein/day and 32 g protein/meal)
    fat = 81.5 grams (733.5 calories from fat/day and 16 g fat/meal)
    carbs = 243 grams (975 calories from carbs/day and 48 g carbs/meal)

After all that, my question is: How does that look as a starting point? I assume that after each week, I should recalculate based on whatever my weight is that week

2. I have a hard time figuring out what a realistic goal is for a certain time period. I mentioned earlier that my long term goal is to be 245 with a 20% body fat but I'd like to know what to expect from this next 12 weeks (if thats a question that you can even answer) so that I'll know what to strive for and wether I'm ahead/falling behind.

3. As an overweight person, I wonder about creatine (or the Vasocharge supplement that you recommend). Is that something I should take or should I hold off on that?
    1. That looks like a great starting point. I would do those calories for 2 weeks and then assess your progress and adjust from there.

2. For weight loss losing 1-3 lbs per week is realistic.

3. Creatine is one supplement that can benefit from I recommend either using a pre-workout product (like our new Quake 10.0 which we created to improve VasoCharge) or 5 grams of creatine monohydrate post-workout.

Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by nymyth View Post
    Question: I am on week 10 and was wondering, do you recommend doing this workout back to back meaning a full 24 weeks, or would you incorporate something in the middle for like 4-6 weeks??
    You can restart the program immediately. Due to the built in progression and deload weeks in this program you could run it indefinitely if you wanted.

Originally Posted by gonzo77 View Post
    If I'm going to have a cheat meal am I suppose to starve all day untill the meal? Or eat regular and just enjoy the meal when it's time?
    Eat regularly and then enjoy your cheat meal.

Originally Posted by ntepting View Post
    Also, am I on track to where I generally should be? If I wanted, could I switch to a cutting diet (cutting back on the carbs) since I'm trying to get in as tip top shape as I can by Sept 17th? Would that help reduce the bf % even more? How would I begin reducing the carbs if I started a diet like that, while increasing fats and protein to get the extra calories? Thanks! You have no idea how much of a life savor you are!
    When it comes to dieting, whether cutting or bulking, I like to focus on getting the protein and fat needed and THEN add in carbs as needed. More carbs for bulking, less for cutting. So if you want to start cutting keep you protein and fat the same and start decreasing your carbs.

Originally Posted by eswaranm View Post
    hi derek,

i am 16 years of age and really interested in following your 12 week program.but due to time contraints,i only get to workout at home with dumbbells,barbells and a workout bench.so i was thinking how should i do the excercises that require machines?should i skip them or redo my previous excercise??
    For legs do:
    Tuesday
    Squats
    Stiff Leg Deadlift
    DB Lunges
    Then what you can for calves & abs.

Friday
    Deadlift
    Front Squats
    DB Lunges
    Then what you can for calves & abs.

Originally Posted by steeve1000 View Post
    I just Finished thé first week and i lové my new training im training for 10 years and i think get back to basic Will help me

But i want to Know your opinion on thé keto diet

By the way your last name is it french im asking because im a french canadian
    I am a fan of low-carb diets when cutting (not necessarily keto, but lower carb).

Yes my last name is french.

Originally Posted by igones View Post
    Just some doubts...

How long do I have to rest between sets?
    45sec+-?

How long do i have to rest between one exercise and another?
    2min+-?

Thanks!!
    Week = Sets X Reps = Rest Period
    1, 7 = 2 X 12-15 = 30 sec
    2, 8 = 3 X 8-10 = 60 sec
    3, 9 = 4 X 6-8 = 90 sec
    4, 10 = 5 X 4-6 = 2 mins
    5, 11 = 6 X 3 = 2-3 mins
    6, 12 = 1 X 15-20

Originally Posted by camcamc View Post
    I just finished week one and I can already see improvements all around.

I just had some simple quick questions.

I'm on a really busy work week 45 hours a week to be exact.
    I'm still getting in the gym 5-6 times a week but since I'm working a lot I can't really follow as strict of a diet as I like. Is it ok to replace a couple of meals with replacements or should I just eat right when I can and just take that chance of not making my calories that day..

One more thing, couple of years ago I was 185 for football but after I finished I just got fat to about 195 at my heaviest. Over the year I have been eating right and working a lot and now I'm only 145 ( well 5 extra pounds from week one already!) My question is will it be easier for me to see gains since I have already been a muscular 185 pound? I would like to get back around that.

Thanks for you help I've been following your program exactly how you have it on the paper and already seeing great gains.
    Using protein powders/MRPs is definitely a good way to get in your calories. You could alternate between solid food meals and shake meals.

Due to muscle memory if you were once more muscular it will be easier/faster to get back there as the body already has some of the adaptations needed to get there.

Originally Posted by alannigz View Post
    Hi Derek,

Im onto my 7th week and have gotten some strength increase. In my upper body workout A i beat all the numbers in week 1 except maybe close-grip bench. In week 1 I did 12 and 13 reps respectively on 50KG. However this week i did 13 reps on the 1st set with 52.5KG and somehow was only able to complete 8 reps on the second (think i lost concentration not sure ). Should this be a concern ?
    As long as you are getting stronger on the majority of lifts you are good. Given that CG Bench is done after Bench Press and Military Press if you performed better on Bench and Military Press you would be more tired/fatigued for CG Bench so it would be harder to beat your previous performance.

Originally Posted by marcusclarkus View Post
    Just starting week 11, everything has been going great. Definitely gaining size, getting compliments , and really cleaning up my diet a lot. Two quick questions though.

1. Should I take a week off after finishing your program before I jump into another one (either your tri phase or some 4-6 week one I pick out from a a magazine)? Or will week 12's deload be sufficent rest time?

2. I have enough self control to eat healthy, but not enough to stop my night time snacking since I'm always up late. I don't buy potato chips anymore because I can easily just sit down and eat half a bag. I using go with cold cuts sandwiches and cottage cheese with fruit but have been getting tired of them and feel like I shouldn't be having all those carbs from the bread at night. What are some healthy snacks I can eat at night?

Thanks man
    1. The deload week should suffice but if you are feeling really beat up you can take a full week off.

2. Cottage Cheese + Fruit would make a great late night snack.

Originally Posted by Superstar0 View Post
    Hey, im looking to start this program this week, was wondering if there is a printable table form workout sheet available?

thanks for the workout and thanks for the help
    I made this just now for everyone See attached.

Originally Posted by wc3 View Post
    Hi Derek, I just completed the 12 week bulking program and while I didn't gain any weight, I got leaner and significantly stronger, I added about 90 lbs to my squat and deadlift. My chest and arms however have stagnated. I know you recommend doing tri-phase after this routine, but I really enjoy lifting really heavy, so I was wondering could I do the Power to be Pretty routine? If yes, can I do the 3 compound lifts, squat, deadlift and bench press, on consecutive days and assistance days after? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    90 lbs to your squat and deads = MUSCLE GAIN! For overall gains I think Tri-Phase is a better program.
    Attached Files

zFeDoR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zFeDoR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zFeDoR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zFeDoR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zFeDoR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zFeDoR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zFeDoR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zFeDoR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zFeDoR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zFeDoR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) zFeDoR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    What is different about tri-phase and this program.

manikanth2304 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need Help

Hi,
    Thanks for the Workout Program.I want to try this workout from next week.
    I have couple of questions
    1)Can i do cardio for 1 hour will effect my gains?
    2)can i do yoga instead of cardio for 2 hours?

mandeviz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question

Derek,

I just started the 12 Week Bulking Trainer, I just have a simple question in regard to the upper body workouts on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Only doing one exercise per body part doesn't seem like enough, am I missing something? Or doing something wrong? If you could explain the reasoning I would have a better understanding.

GWJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GWJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GWJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GWJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GWJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GWJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GWJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GWJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GWJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GWJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GWJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by gwj View Post
    hi derek,
    i have a question for you. Can you tell me the percentages of my 1rm for all the rep ranges? Thanks!

12-15
    8-10
    6-8
    4-6
    15-20
    bump

dilpunjabi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey just wondering if i could do lower body just ones since i don't really want to do legs so much would it be still great program if i do monday upper body tuesday lower than thurs upper body are three days fine

tomaseg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Message deleted by tomaseg
    Last edited by tomaseg; 08-28-2010 at 12:34 PM.

igones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lightbulb =]

Please, my question is for everyone who are doing the workout.

Can i do drop sets? In which week are better?

Thanks!

ntepting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by igones View Post
    Please, my question is for everyone who are doing the workout.

Can i do drop sets? In which week are better?

Thanks!
    Why would you want to drop sets? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the point of increasing the sets is to do less reps each week so you can lift heavier each week. That way you progressively overload your muscles so they grow and don't adapt to your workout (thereby not giving you your "bang for the buck").

I'm on week 7, and after the deload week and week 7, I find that the longer set weeks (particularly weeks 4 and 5) are when you really start to notice/feel your strength to increase. I think it's time well spent, in my opinion.

lmaonade123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lmaonade123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lmaonade123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lmaonade123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lmaonade123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lmaonade123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lmaonade123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lmaonade123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lmaonade123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lmaonade123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lmaonade123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm planning on starting this Monday. I have one question before I start though.

I'm wondering what will happen to my lifts. There's high reps but not any sets, will my lifts move up at all for a maxout?

Thanks.

niranjan0007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    does doing a 21 class workout for biceps helps to gain muscle?

Thedmac999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

tri-phase or re-do 12 week bulking trainer?

Here are some pics i took after finishing the 12 week program.

I only gained 5 pounds, but my strength increased quite a bit.

Based on the pics, should i do another round of the 12 week bulking program or move onto the tri-phase program?

Thanks again.
    Attached Images

Ironman2892 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Derek
    what do you think i could replace hack squats with? My gym doesn't have a hack squat machine, and what can i replace seated calf raises with apart from leg press calf raises? My gym doesn't have a standing calf raise machine and the seated calf raise machine hurts my legs so i usually just do leg press calf raises.
    Plus do you think it would be okay to add flys on upper body a and incline flys on upper body b seeing as the work outs aren't really all that long compared to what i'm used to.
    “The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe. Unless you're thinking of benching 10,000 pounds."

UNTILthen is on a distinguished road. (+10) UNTILthen is on a distinguished road. (+10) UNTILthen is on a distinguished road. (+10) UNTILthen is on a distinguished road. (+10) UNTILthen is on a distinguished road. (+10) UNTILthen is on a distinguished road. (+10) UNTILthen is on a distinguished road. (+10) UNTILthen is on a distinguished road. (+10) UNTILthen is on a distinguished road. (+10) UNTILthen is on a distinguished road. (+10) UNTILthen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Derek,

I was cutting up until the last couple of weeks of July and had my calories cut 200-300 below my BMR (~2000). Then for the past 6 weeks or so, I've been trying to bulk on a 5x5 type program, but really struggling to increase my calories (never thought I'd be able to say that, but I guess my stomach has shrunk and gotten used to the restricted calories). The past couple of weeks I've made a very "loose" attempt to simply eat more carbs, but I feel like out of control...like I've just let my diet go off the tracks somewhat.

Looking to shake things up and try your 12 wk bulk routine. I assume you would recommend the Lean Mass Diet? I want to bulk, but stay somewhat lean at the same time.

Another question...you recommend a joint support supplement...reading about Osteo Bi-Flex...is said to contain Glucosamine, which can increase glucose levels. Is that cause for concern diet-wise? Is there a better product?
    Last edited by UNTILthen; 09-02-2010 at 07:52 AM.

msldup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Great workout

Hey Derek, been working out for 20 years and needed something to shake things up. Been following your workout for the past 6 weeks and I'm in great shape. I'm stronger, bigger and leaner. I've gained 5lbs of lean muscle. 5'10" 184lbs now. Very happy and looking forward to more gains. Would love to hit 190 at some point. The only thing is, I'm going overseas on vacation for 10 days next week. I won't have a chance to go to the gym, and I'll be doing a 75 mile hike. My question is, where do you think I should pick up from when I get back? Start in the mid-point just past the deload week? Or just start the whole workout over again. If you want to direct me to another of your workouts on bodybuilding.com for when I return, I'd be game too. After I get home from this trip, I can dedicate some real time to a long program. Can't wait. Thanks.

alannigz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alannigz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alannigz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alannigz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alannigz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alannigz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alannigz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alannigz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alannigz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alannigz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alannigz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Derek

The weight that im using now is getting too much for my grip to handle (esp Deadlift). My forearms often burn out before my back does. Is it a good idea to use straps then just add in some direct grip/forearm work at the end ? I dont do any direct forearm work right now

Drewdg04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm on week 3 and had to cut my workout short today to get to work on time. I was doing Upper Body Workout A and missed the bi's and tri's. I plan on doing that section tomorrow during the the leg workout. Just checking to see if that's the best option....

Originally Posted by alannigz View Post
    Hi Derek

The weight that im using now is getting too much for my grip to handle (esp Deadlift). My forearms often burn out before my back does. Is it a good idea to use straps then just add in some direct grip/forearm work at the end ? I dont do any direct forearm work right now
    I also had the same issue and now use straps. It allows me to focus more on the area im really supposed to working out and not worrying about losing my grip on the weights. You can do a simple forearm exercise like Barbell Wrist curls after your main workout and it should do the trick.

gonzo77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help was out for 2 weeks

I completed week 4. Was out for 2 weeks because I had to move and i screwed up my elbow moving. Do i start over or can i just start were i left off? Going to start again today.

Thanks

gridironballer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Derek,

I am wondering if I should keep the weight the same for each of the non-warmup (working) sets. Example: should I do 2 warmup sets of Bench Press at 95 lbs, then do the 6 sets of 3 reps all at 185 lbs? Should I progressively increase the weight with each new set? Or should I only increase the weight if doing the 3 reps is too easy? And would the same strategy apply for every week's sets and reps? Thanks for the help.

gridironballer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Tri-phase

One more question,

Should one do any warmup sets before the working sets in your Tri-Phase program, or just jump right into whatever the number of sets and reps is for that day with the weight needed for the reps? Thanks again.

blyons808 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is it okay to do 30 minutes of cardio after each workout to burn some extra fat?

UNTILthen is on a distinguished road. (+10) UNTILthen is on a distinguished road. (+10) UNTILthen is on a distinguished road. (+10) UNTILthen is on a distinguished road. (+10) UNTILthen is on a distinguished road. (+10) UNTILthen is on a distinguished road. (+10) UNTILthen is on a distinguished road. (+10) UNTILthen is on a distinguished road. (+10) UNTILthen is on a distinguished road. (+10) UNTILthen is on a distinguished road. (+10) UNTILthen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by blyons808 View Post
    Is it okay to do 30 minutes of cardio after each workout to burn some extra fat?
    I'm not Derek, but I believe I've read posts from him addressing this type of question before. He can correct me if I'm wrong...

But I believe Derek recommends just 2-3 low/medium intensity cardio sessions per week on this program. You want to do some cardio to keep the fat gain in check, but you don't want to do too much cardio and burn too many of your calories that you need for muscle gains.

Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast