Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    marcusclarkus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusclarkus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusclarkus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusclarkus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusclarkus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcusclarkus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    About to start week 3. Thanks so much for putting this 12 week program together, it's exactly what I need to stay motivated and lift this summer.

One question though: I went rock climbing for the first time a month ago and really enjoyed it. I had no idea how hard it would be, my forearms were the sorest they've ever been the day after. The school I go to has a climbing wall open Mon-Thur, is there any way to integrate this into the 12 week program? I feel like climbing one day then upperbody the following day (or vice versa) could be too much. Thanks

jimbojones333 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Warm up sets

Hi Beast,

Thanks so much for all the effort in putting together the program. I have two questions.

1. Are the 2 warm up sets necessary for every exercise?
    2. If they are, how much weight should i warm up with, so i dont burn myself out. Today i think i went to heavy on the warm up sets for Week 1 day 1 bench press. Is there a ratio that i should be using?

e.g. warm up weight was 20KG bench press. Then my two sets were 30kgs, usually i can do 30KGs easy but today i failed early.

Cheers

Jimbo.

Unleash The Beast Within coolaidml's Avatar
    coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Hard time gainer

Hey Derek,

I have been working out for quite a few years now. I currently weigh about 155. I have practically stayed between 150-160 for past 2 yrs. I have tried numerous programs and recommendation and just can't seem to gain much muscle.

I am really strict with myself with meals and all. Almost all my friends and family think I'm just a little too extreme with it all lol. I'm OK with that but the difficult thing is I wish I could say the hard work has paid off to show something for it.

I am really worn out with not seeing results for all the work I've put in but I'm not giving up. I am doing your program in hopes that I'll finally find something that works. I'm currently starting in the 2nd round of the program with the 5 X 4-6 starting tomorrow. I've been moving up with my weights nicely which is good to see but I'm wondering if I shouldn't be seeing more results this far into the program?

I eat 6 times a day. Here is rough outline of what I'll have. I do switch other items in and out but each is usually equivalent in calories whether it's the protein or carb source.

Pre Breakfast

3 Grams Glutamine

Breakfast

1 Egg/250 Mls Egg Whites with 3-5mls Grapeseed Oil in pan
    1 and 1/2 Pieces of Pumpernickel Bread with light cream cheese spread
    1 tomato or handful of baby carrots
    1 EFA Capsule/1 Joint Capsule/1 Multi/2 Vitamin D tablets

Pre Workout

Nitric Stack Supplement(15 minutes before shake)

30 grams Maltodextrin
    10 Grams BCAAS
    10-15 grams of Whey Isolate

Post Workout

35 Grams Maltodextrin
    30 Grams Whey Isolate
    1 EFA Capsule

1 Hr later Meal

Can of Salmon
    1-1/2 pieces Pumpernickel
    1 Bell Pepper/bowl of mixed greens

Snack

(50 Blueberries
    100 Grams 0% Fat Yoghurt
    200 Grams Low Fat Cottage Cheese
    10-15 Walnuts or other nuts
    Teaspoon natural cinnamon) Tastes Really good actually mixed together
    1 Apple
    1 EFA/I Joint Capsule/1 Multi

Dinner

150 Grams Lean Ground Buffalo Meat
    150 Grams Black Bean/Kidney Beans
    10 Baby Carrots/Lettuce
    1 EFA

Pre Bed Snack

ZMA 45 Mins before Snack

3 Grams Glutamine
    30 Grams Casein Protein
    1 Glass Skim Milk
    1 EFA Capsule

Any recommendation or thoughts?

amazing.gujju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hi there,

Thanks for making such a well structured program, which is very comprehensive.

I had a query though.

"I am a skinny guy with 55kg weight" Should i follow this program to gain/bulk? I want to be broad and pack muscle, and want to get rid of the skinny appearance? Is this 12 week guide the right for me to start? or should i follow some other program of yours??? I am a vegetarian as well.

Thanks heaps.

slanycia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Problems with a bulging disc

Hi derek,

Thank you so much for your hard work in putting together this program as well as answering all our questions. Greatly appreciated.

I have a couple questions so i hope you don't mind.

The first is around a bulging disc i have which I have been training around. I am able to do most of the movements in your work out plans but have stayed clear of deadlifts etc. I have in stead been using some of the machines that are available in my gym. For example the Leg-Extension and Leg-Press Machines. In staying clear of the heavy compound exercises I am afraid that I may be missing out on some potential growth. Would you suggest adjusting the reps or perhaps suggest any other exercises.

My other question is in regards to supplements. I am current taking the ON Whey Protien, ON Casein Protein, MHP Glutamine-SR, Scivation Xtend, as well as ON Opti-Men Vitamin, Fish oils and finally a greens product. I have read about Waxy Maize but currently am eating a banana with my protein after workout for my sugar. Can you please provide your comments on Waxy Maize as against say the banana. I will soon be putting in another order and am contemplating giving this a go.

Thank you for your time.

Simon

Registered User marionmilitaryinstitute's Avatar
    marionmilitaryinstitute has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) marionmilitaryinstitute has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

quick question

im thinking about starting your 12 week bulking program. if you say the number of sets is 4 and rep range is 6 that does NOT include the warm up sets right? how should the weight progression be if i can bench 275x6? thanks

Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by sicinsane View Post
    i put a teaspoon of Sriracha chili garlic sauce.. it has 0 calories but with 115mg sodium and <1g Sugar.. is that bad? I forgot to include that i eat about a cup of broccolli with meal 5 and 6.

i also forgot to include that i take O.N. glutamine 1000 caps with meal 1, PWO shake, and with the casein before bed. i also take 1 opti-men multivitamin tablet right after meal 1 and i take 1 tsp of micronized creatine powder with the PWO shake.

For the non work out days do i eat every meal except for the PWO shake and gatorade?
    also i'm not sure if i got it right but am i suppose to weigh out 4oz. Chicken before i cook it? or do i cook the chicken first and then weigh it out?

thanks for the quick reply Derek.. i did 30 mins of cardio today and i cant wait to hit the gym again to start week 3.
    That chilli sauce is fine. Just making sure you weren't using high calorie sauces and not counting them towards your calories.

Not sure of the cost of the glutamine caps, but it would probably be cheaper to get a powder.

Non-workout days = same diet but no PWO shake.

Weigh your meat AFTER it is cooked.

Originally Posted by omairx View Post
    dear sir,
    i am 16 years old i just wanna ask that i workout only in summer fro 2 months then i leave it for whole year,ihave done so 2 times i now feel my body is quite weak calves have disappeared further i wanna say that my right shoulder has problem smthin like collar bone prob the doctor said to do excersice

now can u tell me which weight free exersices i must do for 1 year which must be then and all routine stuff
    I am not sure exactly what you are asking.

Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by marcusclarkus View Post
    About to start week 3. Thanks so much for putting this 12 week program together, it's exactly what I need to stay motivated and lift this summer.

One question though: I went rock climbing for the first time a month ago and really enjoyed it. I had no idea how hard it would be, my forearms were the sorest they've ever been the day after. The school I go to has a climbing wall open Mon-Thur, is there any way to integrate this into the 12 week program? I feel like climbing one day then upperbody the following day (or vice versa) could be too much. Thanks
    You could rock climb on Wednesday your off day and treat the rock climbing like a workotu and have your post-workout shake after. Yes it may negatively affect your performance the next day, but if you really enjoy it then I would do it. You may be a little sore for your Thursday workout but you should still be able to complete it.

Originally Posted by jimbojones333 View Post
    Hi Beast,

Thanks so much for all the effort in putting together the program. I have two questions.

1. Are the 2 warm up sets necessary for every exercise?
    2. If they are, how much weight should i warm up with, so i dont burn myself out. Today i think i went to heavy on the warm up sets for Week 1 day 1 bench press. Is there a ratio that i should be using?

e.g. warm up weight was 20KG bench press. Then my two sets were 30kgs, usually i can do 30KGs easy but today i failed early.

Cheers

Jimbo.
    1. Yes. Depending on the exercise you may want to do more warm-up sets.
    2. You do not want your warm-up sets to be fatiguing or strenuous at all. Their purposes is to prepare you to lift the heavier load and prevent injury. If you plan to bench 66 lbs (30kg) for your work set then I would warm-up like this:
    10 kg X 10
    15 kg X 6
    20 kg X 3

Originally Posted by coolaidml View Post
    Hey Derek,

I have been working out for quite a few years now. I currently weigh about 155. I have practically stayed between 150-160 for past 2 yrs. I have tried numerous programs and recommendation and just can't seem to gain much muscle.

I am really strict with myself with meals and all. Almost all my friends and family think I'm just a little too extreme with it all lol. I'm OK with that but the difficult thing is I wish I could say the hard work has paid off to show something for it.

I am really worn out with not seeing results for all the work I've put in but I'm not giving up. I am doing your program in hopes that I'll finally find something that works. I'm currently starting in the 2nd round of the program with the 5 X 4-6 starting tomorrow. I've been moving up with my weights nicely which is good to see but I'm wondering if I shouldn't be seeing more results this far into the program?

I eat 6 times a day. Here is rough outline of what I'll have. I do switch other items in and out but each is usually equivalent in calories whether it's the protein or carb source.

Pre Breakfast

3 Grams Glutamine

Breakfast

Pre Workout

30 grams Maltodextrin
    10 Grams BCAAS

Post Workout

35 Grams Maltodextrin
    30 Grams Whey Isolate
    1 EFA Capsule

1 Hr later Meal

Can of Salmon

Snack

(50 Blueberries
    100 Grams 0% Fat Yoghurt
    1 Apple

Dinner

10 Baby Carrots/Lettuce
    1 EFA

Pre Bed Snack

ZMA 45 Mins before Snack

3 Grams Glutamine
    30 Grams Casein Protein
    1 Glass Skim Milk
    1 EFA Capsule

Any recommendation or thoughts?
    I can tell you right now you are not getting enough good fats in your diet. Can you list me out your total protein, carb, and fat intake with the above diet?

Originally Posted by amazing.gujju View Post
    hi there,

Thanks for making such a well structured program, which is very comprehensive.

I had a query though.

"I am a skinny guy with 55kg weight" Should i follow this program to gain/bulk? I want to be broad and pack muscle, and want to get rid of the skinny appearance? Is this 12 week guide the right for me to start? or should i follow some other program of yours??? I am a vegetarian as well.

Thanks heaps.
    This program would be perfect for you!

Originally Posted by slanycia View Post
    Hi derek,

Thank you so much for your hard work in putting together this program as well as answering all our questions. Greatly appreciated.

I have a couple questions so i hope you don't mind.

The first is around a bulging disc i have which I have been training around. I am able to do most of the movements in your work out plans but have stayed clear of deadlifts etc. I have in stead been using some of the machines that are available in my gym. For example the Leg-Extension and Leg-Press Machines. In staying clear of the heavy compound exercises I am afraid that I may be missing out on some potential growth. Would you suggest adjusting the reps or perhaps suggest any other exercises.

My other question is in regards to supplements. I am current taking the ON Whey Protien, ON Casein Protein, MHP Glutamine-SR, Scivation Xtend, as well as ON Opti-Men Vitamin, Fish oils and finally a greens product. I have read about Waxy Maize but currently am eating a banana with my protein after workout for my sugar. Can you please provide your comments on Waxy Maize as against say the banana. I will soon be putting in another order and am contemplating giving this a go.

Thank you for your time.

Simon
    I bulging disc will definitely pose a problem. I assume you had this checked out? What did the doctor recommend doing. You will have to stay clear of any exercise that stresses that part of your back.

When it comes to post-workout shakes I am a fan of dextrose. Dextrose = glucose, which is what all carbs you eat are broken down into. The purpose of whey protein is to give your body a QUICK burst of protein. Dextrose is the carb equivilent of Whey, it is absorbed very fast. I would opt for dextrose over waxy maize. A banana, while a quicker digesting carb, still requires some digestion. I would do something like 30g whey + 30g dextrose post-workout and then if you want to include a banana as part of your carbs in your next meal that is fine.

Originally Posted by marionmilitaryinstitute View Post
    im thinking about starting your 12 week bulking program. if you say the number of sets is 4 and rep range is 6 that does NOT include the warm up sets right? how should the weight progression be if i can bench 275x6? thanks
    The 4 sets does not include warm-up sets. Week 3 is 4 sets of of 6-8 reps, so you want to start with a weight that you can get at least 6 reps with but no more than 8 reps with. Once you can complete 8 good, solid reps increase the weight. If you can bench 275 X 6 then you could do something like:
    275 X 6
    255 X 8, 7, 6

raceradam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sub for Leg Press

I workout alot at home and only have a cage. I'm slowly adding new equipment. What would be a good substitute for the leg press? I read that Front Squats are a good replacement for Hack Squats.

Thanks so much.

nymyth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    will you be releasing a cutting program to follow up with this bulking program?

Florence23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ok then, organize. I ask for a diet, my big problem. Then:

I calculated the calories of what has to calcolaore my calories, came off 2345 calories, 156 protein, 78 grams carbohydrates, fats 245.25

I am at 1.77 cm Weight 84 kg but my ideal weight is 71 so I should theoretically get to 71, or turn my kg in most muscles. the right diet you think? even on days where I wish I did not train the same calories or Down?

your program in recent weeks leading to the definition or just mass? I point to high definition because

thanks for the help from Italy is not easy

mayodt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mayodt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mayodt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mayodt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mayodt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

After 12 week workout?

What kind've routine should you get into after the 12 week workout? Thanks.

slanycia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bulging Disk

I Derek,

I saw a doctor a while ago and had the bulging disk confirmed through a MRI. It's not severe but at the same time it is there so i've been advised to not arch my back whilst carrying weight. Since then I've been very careful with what movements I do so as not to place any pressure on the spine. So things like placing a bar across my back (squats etc) are definitely a no go area. As well as that I use strict form when doing any exercises as what originally caused it was an arching back during a military press exercise. Too much weight and bad form. That has all been addressed but I know often use machines or a smith machine which help with form as well as not having to drag large weights around. As well as that I am trying to strengthen the back through strengthening the core muscles (hyperextensions etc <with slow strict form>). I haven't had a problem for about 3 years now so I think i'm doing well.

I'll continue to find alternative exercises where required but other than that i'm doing well.

And in regards to the dextrose thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Sim

coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coolaidml is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Here is a rough outline of the Protein, Carbs, Fat like you requested.

Pre Breakfast

3 Grams Glutamine

Breakfast

12 Grams Fat, 40 Grams Carbs, 35 Grams Protein

Pre Workout

30 grams Maltodextrin
    10 Grams BCAAS

32 Grams Carbs, 15 Grams Protein

Post Workout Shake

35-40 Grams Maltodextrin
    30-35 Grams Whey Isolate
    1 EFA Capsule

40 Carbs, 2 Grams Fat, 35 Grams Protein

1 Hr later Meal

Can of Salmon

16 Grams Fat 40 Grams Carbs 45 Grams Protein

Snack

(50 Blueberries
    100 Grams 0% Fat Yoghurt
    1 Apple

17 Grams Fat 40 Grams Carbs 35 Grams Protein

Dinner

10 Baby Carrots/Lettuce
    1 EFA

10 Grams Fat 40-45 Grams Carbs 45 Grams Protein

Pre Bed Snack

ZMA 45 Mins before Snack

3 Grams Glutamine
    30 Grams Casein Protein
    1 Glass Skim Milk
    1 EFA Capsule

2 Grams Fat 20-25 Grams Carbs 35 Grams Protein

RaMpAgE88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

carbs

Hey derek,

so i got a ? ive just started your 12 week program im just seeing how well it works im following you program to the T. the only problem I am having is all your videos are stopping on me like after one min? whats up with that is that on your end or bodybuilding.com?

anyways im curious you dont have any training on the weekends? so in your program you suggest we do no training?

thanks

Rampage

Originally Posted by raceradam View Post
    I workout alot at home and only have a cage. I'm slowly adding new equipment. What would be a good substitute for the leg press? I read that Front Squats are a good replacement for Hack Squats.

Thanks so much.
    I would do squats and stiff leg deadlifts one workout and deadlift and front squats the next lower body workout.

Originally Posted by Florence23 View Post
    ok then, organize. I ask for a diet, my big problem. Then:

I calculated the calories of what has to calcolaore my calories, came off 2345 calories, 156 protein, 78 grams carbohydrates, fats 245.25

I am at 1.77 cm Weight 84 kg but my ideal weight is 71 so I should theoretically get to 71, or turn my kg in most muscles. the right diet you think? even on days where I wish I did not train the same calories or Down?

your program in recent weeks leading to the definition or just mass? I point to high definition because

thanks for the help from Italy is not easy
    I assume you mean 156 protein, 245 CARBS, and 78 fat. I would cut your carbs down to 150g if you want to shift things to fat loss.

Originally Posted by mayodt View Post
    What kind've routine should you get into after the 12 week workout? Thanks.
    I recommend doing my Tri-Phase program next: http://scivation.com/books/triphase.htm

Originally Posted by RaMpAgE88 View Post
    Hey derek,

so i got a ? ive just started your 12 week program im just seeing how well it works im following you program to the T. the only problem I am having is all your videos are stopping on me like after one min? whats up with that is that on your end or bodybuilding.com?

anyways im curious you dont have any training on the weekends? so in your program you suggest we do no training?

thanks

Rampage
    I do not controll the videos so contact BB.com about the issue.

You are to do cardio on Saturday with the current program. Alternatively you could do the weight training workouts on Mon, Wed, Fri, and Sat if you desire (or Tues, Thurs, Sat, and Sun).

Here is a rough outline of the Protein, Carbs, Fat like you requested.

Pre Breakfast

3 Grams Glutamine

Breakfast

12 Grams Fat, 40 Grams Carbs, 35 Grams Protein GOOD!

Pre Workout

30 grams Maltodextrin
    10 Grams BCAAS

32 Grams Carbs, 15 Grams Protein What time do you eat breakfast and what time do you drink this shake?

Post Workout Shake

35-40 Grams Maltodextrin
    30-35 Grams Whey Isolate
    1 EFA Capsule

40 Carbs, 2 Grams Fat, 35 Grams Protein GOOD!

1 Hr later Meal

Can of Salmon

16 Grams Fat 40 Grams Carbs 45 Grams Protein GOOD

Snack

(50 Blueberries
    100 Grams 0% Fat Yoghurt
    1 Apple

17 Grams Fat 40 Grams Carbs 35 Grams Protein GOOD!

Dinner

10 Baby Carrots/Lettuce
    1 EFA

10 Grams Fat 40-45 Grams Carbs 45 Grams Protein GOOD!

Pre Bed Snack

ZMA 45 Mins before Snack

3 Grams Glutamine
    30 Grams Casein Protein
    1 Glass Skim Milk
    1 EFA Capsule

2 Grams Fat 20-25 Grams Carbs 35 Grams Protein Add 1 TBSP of Peanut Butter to this and you are good.
    You are actually getting more fat than I originally thought (looks like your meats are fatty than I thought). Look for my comments in bold in your above post.

Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    You are actually getting more fat than I originally thought (looks like your meats are fatty than I thought). Look for my comments in bold in your above post.
    I have my pre-workout shake 2-2 1/2 hours after breakfast. I usually have breakfast at around 8:30.

My weight has seemingly stayed the same for many months now. I just seem to always fluctuate around the 155 pound mark for last year and am getting really discouraged by it. My goal is to gain around 10-15 pounds of lean muscle. I do have a little extra body fat so I don't want to add more of that but I just don't seem to be gaining much lean muscle so I think maybe my calories need to be increased. If so what would you add? More Fat/Carbs or Protein calories? Also which times would you add it to? I will at least add some more fat to my bedtime snack for sure as per your recommendation.

Thanks so much for your tips and responses. I really appreciate it. I wish I had someone as knowledgeable as you at my local gym
    Last edited by coolaidml; 06-23-2010 at 11:12 PM.

Also would switching the bedtime Peanut butter to pumpkin seeds or other nuts be ok? I don't like just eating peanut butter by itself. I like to have peanut butter with a main meal on some bread etc or use it as a dip for veggies.

ntepting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Beast,

I'm considering starting your 12 week program come Monday and have a few questions first.

-I'm currently 5'10" at 150 lbs and about 15% body fat. I'm pretty thin but have some fat in my lower gut area that completely ruins my self image. I'm trying to transform my body for a shirtless role I have in a new musical my college is performing coming the third week of September and I'm planning on spending the summer getting fit for it. I'm assuming because I'm so thin (aside for the trouble areas) that I should focus on bulking up instead of getting cut since there isn't an extreme amount of muscle to show off anyways? I'm just worried that my waistline will continue to grow and I'll feel chubbier, despite me putting on weight. I believe I've read in some of your answers that the increased metabolism should demolish any remaining fat and bulking up would be my best decision. Can you confirm this so I know what training (bulking or cutting) to focus on for the summer?

-My other issue is that I'm lactose intolerant and suffer reactions to Whey protein. I'm currently using a soy based protein mixture that has only 15g of protein per scoop, which ins't much compared to the whey based formula. Do you have any recommendations on what I can use that doesn't contain milk in it so I can drink it without any problems?

Thanks for all the help! This forum and program is an absolute miracle.

Originally Posted by nymyth View Post
    will you be releasing a cutting program to follow up with this bulking program?
    As of now there are no plans for me to do a 12 week cutting program.

I have my pre-workout shake 2-2 1/2 hours after breakfast. I usually have breakfast at around 8:30.

My weight has seemingly stayed the same for many months now. I just seem to always fluctuate around the 155 pound mark for last year and am getting really discouraged by it. My goal is to gain around 10-15 pounds of lean muscle. I do have a little extra body fat so I don't want to add more of that but I just don't seem to be gaining much lean muscle so I think maybe my calories need to be increased. If so what would you add? More Fat/Carbs or Protein calories? Also which times would you add it to? I will at least add some more fat to my bedtime snack for sure as per your recommendation.

Thanks so much for your tips and responses. I really appreciate it. I wish I had someone as knowledgeable as you at my local gym
    You could increase all protein, carbs, and fat some. I wouldn't go over 240g of protein (no need to go higher than that at your weight) or 80g of fat. So once you hit those numbers just start adding only carbs.

Also would switching the bedtime Peanut butter to pumpkin seeds or other nuts be ok? I don't like just eating peanut butter by itself. I like to have peanut butter with a main meal on some bread etc or use it as a dip for veggies.
    Any fat source is fine.

Originally Posted by ntepting View Post
    Hey Beast,

I'm considering starting your 12 week program come Monday and have a few questions first.

-I'm currently 5'10" at 150 lbs and about 15% body fat. I'm pretty thin but have some fat in my lower gut area that completely ruins my self image. I'm trying to transform my body for a shirtless role I have in a new musical my college is performing coming the third week of September and I'm planning on spending the summer getting fit for it. I'm assuming because I'm so thin (aside for the trouble areas) that I should focus on bulking up instead of getting cut since there isn't an extreme amount of muscle to show off anyways? I'm just worried that my waistline will continue to grow and I'll feel chubbier, despite me putting on weight. I believe I've read in some of your answers that the increased metabolism should demolish any remaining fat and bulking up would be my best decision. Can you confirm this so I know what training (bulking or cutting) to focus on for the summer?

-My other issue is that I'm lactose intolerant and suffer reactions to Whey protein. I'm currently using a soy based protein mixture that has only 15g of protein per scoop, which ins't much compared to the whey based formula. Do you have any recommendations on what I can use that doesn't contain milk in it so I can drink it without any problems?

Thanks for all the help! This forum and program is an absolute miracle.
    You will most likely lose some fat by cleaning up your diet and following this program. You could also do some extra cardio (20 mins post-workout + 30-45 mins on 2 of your 3 off days) to lose a little fat.

As for your protein, egg white protein would be a good option (better than soy!).

ddachille has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Beast ... I've been looking over this program and it seems to be just what I need to put on the extra pounds of muscle I am looking for.

My concern is that I do not have a lifting partner to spot me which I feel will prohibit me from reaching the failure point during certain exercises. Any suggestions to get around this, for exercises like bench, military press, etc. where safety is a concern if I get stuck mid-rep?

I am considering using dumbbells for these exercises but want to make sure they will produce the same results.

Thanks

nymyth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    do you have a cutting program you would recommend?

sicinsane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey derek i stopped eating the 1 cup of egg whites international in the morning for meal 1.. i think it went bad because i had like crazy diarrhea for a week straight and instead i've been drinking 1 scoop of O.N whey.. is that okay to do or is there a better alternative? i'll take progress pics when i get ahold of a camera.. its going great

Originally Posted by ddachille View Post
    Hey Beast ... I've been looking over this program and it seems to be just what I need to put on the extra pounds of muscle I am looking for.

My concern is that I do not have a lifting partner to spot me which I feel will prohibit me from reaching the failure point during certain exercises. Any suggestions to get around this, for exercises like bench, military press, etc. where safety is a concern if I get stuck mid-rep?

I am considering using dumbbells for these exercises but want to make sure they will produce the same results.

Thanks
    You can use dumbbells, the machine machine, or Hammer Strength machines if your gym has them. As long as you are overloading your muscles it does not matter whether you use a barbell or not.

Originally Posted by nymyth View Post
    do you have a cutting program you would recommend?
    Here you go: http://scivation.com/books/dietsolution.htm

Originally Posted by sicinsane View Post
    hey derek i stopped eating the 1 cup of egg whites international in the morning for meal 1.. i think it went bad because i had like crazy diarrhea for a week straight and instead i've been drinking 1 scoop of O.N whey.. is that okay to do or is there a better alternative? i'll take progress pics when i get ahold of a camera.. its going great
    Note if you egg whites smell they are bad. Usually egg whites have no smell, so if they start smellign a little funky (i.e. like the sewer) throw them out.

Using whey is fine.

ntepting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    You will most likely lose some fat by cleaning up your diet and following this program. You could also do some extra cardio (20 mins post-workout + 30-45 mins on 2 of your 3 off days) to lose a little fat.

As for your protein, egg white protein would be a good option (better than soy!).
    Thanks for the quick response!

To clarify: you mean to have me add 20 mins of cardio after each workout, and an additional 30-45 minutes on 2 of my 3 off days, right? I heard that cardio will interfere with adding muscle, so I just want to make sure I understood right so I don't mess anything up.

Also, I'm not looking to bulk up like a body builder (as impressive as it is), I just want to get in really great shape and keep it that way (think like a wonderful beach body). In order to maintain, would I have to keep taking all of the supplements and eating the same way, or would there be a bit more room for variation since I would just be maintaining at that point?

And if it does anything for you in your last answer my current weight is 151 lbs and 13.5% body fat.
    Last edited by ntepting; 06-24-2010 at 02:05 PM.

Originally Posted by ntepting View Post
    Thanks for the quick response!

To clarify: you mean to have me add 20 mins of cardio after each workout, and an additional 30-45 minutes on 2 of my 3 off days, right?

Also, I'm not looking to bulk up like a body builder, I just want to get in really great shape and keep it that way (think like a wonderful beach body). In order to maintain, would I have to keep taking all of the supplements and eating the same way, or would there be a bit more room for variation since I would just be maintaining at that point?
    Correct on the cardio.

Once you reach your desired level of leanness you can usually cut back some on the cardio and add in some calories without gaining fat, but you still of course have to monitor what you eat and keep your diet under control.

PMJM will become famous soon enough. (+50) PMJM will become famous soon enough. (+50) PMJM will become famous soon enough. (+50) PMJM will become famous soon enough. (+50) PMJM will become famous soon enough. (+50) PMJM will become famous soon enough. (+50) PMJM will become famous soon enough. (+50) PMJM will become famous soon enough. (+50) PMJM will become famous soon enough. (+50) PMJM will become famous soon enough. (+50) PMJM will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Missing exercises

Derek,
    I'm thinking of doing this program but I have a question. Why didn't you include certain exercises such as the dumbbell fly, rear delt exercises, forearm exercises and curl variations?

bondbuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bondbuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bondbuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bondbuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bondbuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bondbuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bondbuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bondbuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bondbuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bondbuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bondbuilder has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hey Dereck, before I start your program i've one last question to ask you.
    You already know that I take a weight gainer 100% WHEY concentrate with complex carbohydrate.

I must take two times a day. Is it better to take the
    morning and after training or before training and before
    bed?

Thank you.

jimimgym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey derek
    is it okay if i use this program during winter season.

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast