Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz

12-Week Bulking Trainer Thread (Post all questions here)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/12-w...ng-trainer.htm

Post all questions and comments here

Birdall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is the workout I am doing ok? I am trying to decide if I should switch over to your bulking workout. I just dont think I am getting many results from the one I am doing, and I would like to bulk up a lot more. But it is partially due to my diet I think...

I am currently doing:

Tues: chest/tri
    -BB bench press 3x8
    -BB incline 3x8
    -DB Fly 3x10
    -Skull crusher 3x10
    -close grip bench 3x8

Thurs: Back/bi
    -BB curl 3x10
    -preacher curl 3x8
    -hammer curl 3x10 each arm
    -BB row 3x8
    -Deadlift 3x8

Saturday: Leg/shoulder
    -Squat 3x8
    -calf raises 3x20
    -military press 3x8
    -DB press 3x8 each arm
    -DB side lateral 3x8
    -Cuban rotation 3x8

Drewdg04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm looking for a Bulking program that is going to put some serious muscle mass on. I started working out a little over a year ago doing P90x. I did around 120 days of the p90 and started getting bored with it. From there i got a gym membership and starting on a program my brother used for a while called Gaining Mass by Anthony Ellis (i thought the program was ok but not great) A couple months ago i bought a book called Mens body sculpting by Nick Evans (good book) I've been doing the Hybrid Hard body program. Throughout the year i've stayed very dedicated and put on around 15-18 lbs. Started somewhere around 170 and now im around 184-188 (im 6'2) depending on the day. (expensive jeans starting to not fit which sucks lol) I'm hoping someone (more educated than i am) can look at this and give me advice on a good mass building program. Thanks for any help! (i've always been very skinny and some would probably call me a "hard gainer" lol)

mr.applesauce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    is this purely for beginners?

or would this work just as good for intermediate lifters as well?

Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Birdall View Post
    Is the workout I am doing ok? I am trying to decide if I should switch over to your bulking workout. I just dont think I am getting many results from the one I am doing, and I would like to bulk up a lot more. But it is partially due to my diet I think...

I am currently doing:

Tues: chest/tri
    -BB bench press 3x8
    -BB incline 3x8
    -DB Fly 3x10
    -Skull crusher 3x10
    -close grip bench 3x8

Thurs: Back/bi
    -BB curl 3x10
    -preacher curl 3x8
    -hammer curl 3x10 each arm
    -BB row 3x8
    -Deadlift 3x8

Saturday: Leg/shoulder
    -Squat 3x8
    -calf raises 3x20
    -military press 3x8
    -DB press 3x8 each arm
    -DB side lateral 3x8
    -Cuban rotation 3x8
    I definitely feel there should be more lower body work in your program. Also including some form of periodization would be ideal. I say go with the 12-week bulking program.

Originally Posted by Drewdg04 View Post
    I'm looking for a Bulking program that is going to put some serious muscle mass on. I started working out a little over a year ago doing P90x. I did around 120 days of the p90 and started getting bored with it. From there i got a gym membership and starting on a program my brother used for a while called Gaining Mass by Anthony Ellis (i thought the program was ok but not great) A couple months ago i bought a book called Mens body sculpting by Nick Evans (good book) I've been doing the Hybrid Hard body program. Throughout the year i've stayed very dedicated and put on around 15-18 lbs. Started somewhere around 170 and now im around 184-188 (im 6'2) depending on the day. (expensive jeans starting to not fit which sucks lol) I'm hoping someone (more educated than i am) can look at this and give me advice on a good mass building program. Thanks for any help! (i've always been very skinny and some would probably call me a "hard gainer" lol)
    The 12-Week Bulking Trainer would be perfect for you. It contains everything you need from diet to training to supplements.

Originally Posted by mr.applesauce View Post
    is this purely for beginners?

or would this work just as good for intermediate lifters as well?
    This program is good for anyone looking to bulk.

ALtheKingBundy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question about the Nutrition calculator

Hey Derek, love the videos and the program! Just starting the second week and had a question about my caloric intake. According to the calculator provided in the program I need 2550 calories daily. This according to other sources on BB.com is around my maintenance level. This is where I am getting confused, don't I need to add 300-500 calories to this for a caloric surplus in order to gain?

My stats: 6'1 169lbs with around 15% BF.

Thanks man, really appreciate what your doing!

Originally Posted by ALtheKingBundy View Post
    Hey Derek, love the videos and the program! Just starting the second week and had a question about my caloric intake. According to the calculator provided in the program I need 2550 calories daily. This according to other sources on BB.com is around my maintenance level. This is where I am getting confused, don't I need to add 300-500 calories to this for a caloric surplus in order to gain?

My stats: 6'1 169lbs with around 15% BF.

Thanks man, really appreciate what your doing!
    The calorie calculator does gives you your maintanence caloric intake and this is done on purpose. Instead of overeating and gaining excess fat it is better to start low and add in calories as you weight gain stalls. When your weight gain stalls for 2 weeks you should increase your caloric intake by 250-500 calories mostly from carbs, but you can also add in a little protein.

(SMaLLnWeaK) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) (SMaLLnWeaK) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) (SMaLLnWeaK) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) (SMaLLnWeaK) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) (SMaLLnWeaK) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) (SMaLLnWeaK) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) (SMaLLnWeaK) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) (SMaLLnWeaK) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) (SMaLLnWeaK) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) (SMaLLnWeaK) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) (SMaLLnWeaK) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Are you supose to keep the weight the same for all sets?
    My WSB Journey

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=153254091#post153254091

Drewdg04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do you recommend working the upper and lower body 2x per week for all/most of your workouts or is the something designed specifically for this program. Most lifting regiments i've come accross recommend one body part per week. Personally, i'd rather work both sections twice a week, what are your thoughts?

Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Post all questions and comments here
    i've read many times that cardio is bad for bulking as it puts the body in a catabolic state
    i'm no expert unlike yourself, so i would like to hear some of your wisdom.

and i was just wondering:
    the caloric intake is not very high at all, that added w/ cardio twice a week is bad for bulking isn't it?

Do you recommend working the upper and lower body 2x per week for all/most of your workouts or is the something designed specifically for this program. Most lifting regiments i've come accross recommend one body part per week. Personally, i'd rather work both sections twice a week, what are your thoughts?
    it is because only one exercise is being done per muscle group every upper and lower body days.
    unlike other routines which consists of 3-4 exercises per muscle group.

.....i think

Originally Posted by (SMaLLnWeaK) View Post
    Are you supose to keep the weight the same for all sets?
    If possible, though it may not be for all weeks. For week #1 (2 X 12-15 reps) you could probably complete both sets with the same weight but for the higher set weeks you will most likely have to decrease the weight a little.

I think doing periods of training each muscle once a week and twice a week have merit. For the most part I would have to say training each muscle 2X a week with an upper/lower sploit is probably the best way to stimulate overall growth. So for someone looking to put on overall mass it is ideal.

Originally Posted by mr.applesauce View Post
    i've read many times that cardio is bad for bulking as it puts the body in a catabolic state
    i'm no expert unlike yourself, so i would like to hear some of your wisdom.

and i was just wondering:
    the caloric intake is not very high at all, that added w/ cardio twice a week is bad for bulking isn't it?
    Cardio is not catabolic. It will promote recovery by increasing blood flow and nutrient delivery and will also keep you aerobically fit. Doing cardio twice a week on off days will not impair muscle gains but rather enhance them. Now if you were doing daily cardio sessions then yes that could impair your gains.

agent spooks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agent spooks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agent spooks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agent spooks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agent spooks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agent spooks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The program seems promising very simple. Problem is my goal is to shed the fat off 18% @ 185lbs. Can this program be suitable for a person wanting to at least maintain muscle mass OR to get leaner? The intensity and muscle stimiliation of this program is great, but what if I watch my calorie intake and add another cardio day?

mineya777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Props

Hey there Derek,
    I am currently deployed in Iraq. I'm in the Navy but working with the Army, crazy huh.. Well, I was going to the gym everyday anyway, so I thought why not give something professional a try. So I'm trying this 12-week trainer you put together to see if I get better results. I was doing a push/pull thing. Everything pushing one day and then everything pulling the next. So we'll see. I have high hopes and think that your program is pretty solid and soon I will be too.. I have to give you props. I think you're doing a great job narrating this thing so far. I'm guessing you're not an actor, but you're doing great. I know how hard it is to get up in front of people. Anyhow, keep up the good work. I'm in the 2nd week of your program, ten more to go..
    Respectfully,
    Karl Stone

Originally Posted by agent spooks View Post
    The program seems promising very simple. Problem is my goal is to shed the fat off 18% @ 185lbs. Can this program be suitable for a person wanting to at least maintain muscle mass OR to get leaner? The intensity and muscle stimiliation of this program is great, but what if I watch my calorie intake and add another cardio day?
    You could use this program to cut but instead of increasing calories as you would when you bulk you would decrease calories as your weight loss stalls. I would leave protein and fat as is decrease carbs when your weight loss stalls. Adding in additional cardio would be a good idea.

Originally Posted by mineya777 View Post
    Hey there Derek,
    I am currently deployed in Iraq. I'm in the Navy but working with the Army, crazy huh.. Well, I was going to the gym everyday anyway, so I thought why not give something professional a try. So I'm trying this 12-week trainer you put together to see if I get better results. I was doing a push/pull thing. Everything pushing one day and then everything pulling the next. So we'll see. I have high hopes and think that your program is pretty solid and soon I will be too.. I have to give you props. I think you're doing a great job narrating this thing so far. I'm guessing you're not an actor, but you're doing great. I know how hard it is to get up in front of people. Anyhow, keep up the good work. I'm in the 2nd week of your program, ten more to go..
    Respectfully,
    Karl Stone
    Great to hear Karl! Post your results when you complete the program.

G001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

what is a good diet plan for vegetarians?

Hello Derek,
    I am starting your 12 week program, I need some help with diet plan. I am a vegetarian (I don't eat Fish or Eggs either). I always have really hard time finding a good diet plan with Protein, Carbs and Fats. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks!
    Last edited by G001; 05-27-2010 at 10:14 AM.

Originally Posted by G001 View Post
    Hello Derek,
    I am starting your 12 week program, I need some help with diet plan. I am a vegetarian (I don't eat Fish or Eggs either). I always have really hard time finding a good diet plan with Protein, Carbs and Fats. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks!
    Here are some vegetarian foods you can use (sorry the table will probably be off)
    Vegetarian Foods Serving (g) Protein Carbs Fiber Fat
    Tempeh (Soybean cakes) 39 7 3.5 4
    Tofu (Coagulated Soymilk) 88 7 1.5 3.5
    Seitan (Wheat Gluten) 33 7 1 0.5
    Texturized Vegetable Protein (TVP) 20 7 4 2.5 0
    Black Soybeans 83 7 5 4.5 4
    Edamame (Green Soybeans) 58 7 7 3 4

Dairy Serving (g) Protein Carbs Fiber Fat
    Cottage Cheese [Non-Fat] 57 7 2 0 0
    ***e Greek Yogurt [Non-Fat] 80 7 3 0 0

Using protein powders will definitely be a must to get all the high quality protein you need.

dsosa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Derek

I'm starting your 12 week bulk workout program and I'm in my second week. While watching the videos I noticed you said to perform 2 warm up sets first. Are those 2 sets part of the 3 sets shown in the program or are additional ones performed prior to your real sets?

thank you

Ruben

Originally Posted by dsosa View Post
    Derek

I'm starting your 12 week bulk workout program and I'm in my second week. While watching the videos I noticed you said to perform 2 warm up sets first. Are those 2 sets part of the 3 sets shown in the program or are additional ones performed prior to your real sets?

thank you

Ruben
    The warm-up sets do not count towards the number of sets per exercise.

fdiddy68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi just started the 12 week program. what is the correct wait time in between sets, and exercises?

Originally Posted by fdiddy68 View Post
    Hi just started the 12 week program. what is the correct wait time in between sets, and exercises?
    Week = Sets X Reps = Rest Period
    1, 7 = 2 X 12-15 = 30 sec
    2, 8 = 3 X 8-10 = 60 sec
    3, 9 = 4 X 6-8 = 90 sec
    4, 10 = 5 X 4-6 = 2 mins
    5, 11 = 6 X 3 = 2-3 mins
    6, 12 = 1 X 15-20

jude12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jude12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jude12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jude12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jude12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jude12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jude12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jude12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jude12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jude12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jude12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Week = Sets X Reps = Rest Period
    1, 7 = 2 X 12-15 = 30 sec
    2, 8 = 3 X 8-10 = 60 sec
    3, 9 = 4 X 6-8 = 90 sec
    4, 10 = 5 X 4-6 = 2 mins
    5, 11 = 6 X 3 = 2-3 mins
    6, 12 = 1 X 15-20
    i cant do that. lol
    i must rest at least 90 sec.

..works anyway !

Originally Posted by jude12 View Post
    i cant do that. lol
    i must rest at least 90 sec.

..works anyway !
    Rest periods are way overrated IMO. I personally just rest until I am ready to go, but everyone wants a set rest period for some reason.

knighty25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Derek,

I'm just about to begin the 12-week program. I notice that on the 2nd lower body workout of each week, hack squats are one of the exercises that are utilized. I unfortunately work out in a gym that doesn't have a hack squat machine. Is there another leg exercise that I can substitute for the hack squats?

Thanks for the reply!!

Originally Posted by knighty25 View Post
    Derek,

I'm just about to begin the 12-week program. I notice that on the 2nd lower body workout of each week, hack squats are one of the exercises that are utilized. I unfortunately work out in a gym that doesn't have a hack squat machine. Is there another leg exercise that I can substitute for the hack squats?

Thanks for the reply!!
    You could replace hack squats with front squats.

Justice16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help??

Derek,
    I am going to be starting the program on Monday, but had a question first. I know this is probably dumb but with doing the workouts four days a week, along with Wednesday for cardio and weekend for rest, should I still be intaking all those calories on my off days?? I am just wondering because I'm trying to lose some belly weight as well to help sculpt my abs, and want to make sure that I am doing your program right.

Thanks,
    Ryan

JSONchauhan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sick

Hey Derek

I started the 12 week workout last monday, but unfortunately I caught a cold which put me out for the Thursday and Friday workouts (Upper and Lower body B). Now I don't know which workout to do on Monday. I like the idea of sticking to a schedule so if I continue where I left off, it would throw me off. Let me know what you recommend. Thanks!

jb082 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Derek,

Have been watching the videos and am not sure if ive missed something, but am just wondering what sort of intensity are we supposed to be doing the cardio at?

Justice16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Eating Correctly

Derek,
    I just had another quick question. I calculated my calorie intake which ended up being 38G protein, 19G Fats, and 62G carbs at all 5 meals. I also looked through the videos and have bought things such as wheat bread, wheat pasta, wheat bagels, peanut butter, chicken, fish, protein powder, everything you said I would need. Now that I am trying to sit down and calculate my 5 meals, I can never get it to work right. I always have enough fats and protein, but not carbs. Or I'll have enough carbs and fats, but too much protein. I am going to be starting this program not having worked out in a long time. I have worked out in the past and gotten a lot stronger, but this is first time I am going to be eating correctly as well. I want to add size to my frame and improve my strength (obviously), but I am afraid with eating all this food I am somehow going to screw it up and do it wrong and just turn into a fat guy ya know? Thats why when working out before I never ate a lot of food, because I was always afraid I would just end up gaining fat and not doing what I was trying to do. I know I am probably freaking over nothing, but I really want to get it right this time, and your program seems to me like it could really work for me. Do you have any ideas about planning the meals like I stated above??? I want to thank you in advance for your help and input.

Ryan

johnboy_92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Derek, would you recommend your new 12-Week Bulking program over your previous Tri-Phase program? What would be the benefit of doing one program over the other? Thanks!