kdot28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdot28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdot28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdot28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Female, 5'3.7, 138 lbs, 32%BF - Lose fat first, then build muscle?!

Hi everyone.

I've posted my stats in the thread title. My measurements are 34-29-39. My aim is to be 20% Body fat. I really want to lose body fat, without looking too skinny (i.e. not lose too much muscle...I barely have any to begin with really!). I was once 50kg and I looked too skinny and lanky (my limbs looked way too gangly and I looked scrawny...yet still had a bit of a damn belly).

So, would you recommend I focus on losing fat first and then concentrate on building muscle? Or do cardio (along with a healthy diet) and moderate weight training together at the same time, and then once I reach a better weight, focus more on building muscle? Or focus on building muscle now and not worry about cardio?

I have heard so many different things regarding which one to focus on first, so I am confused! I've heard building muscle first is better...then I've heard lose the fat first...so I don't know.

Since my bodyfat is very high, maybe it would be best to focus on losing weight (fat) first until my body fat% is in more of the 'average' zone and then focus more on building up muscle?? I would really appreciate your opinions please...thanks!

mad_x_00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mad_x_00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mad_x_00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mad_x_00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mad_x_00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mad_x_00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mad_x_00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mad_x_00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mad_x_00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mad_x_00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mad_x_00 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    post some pics so we can see

cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Honestly I would suggest that somebody your size just focus on a goal of completing a 5k in 20 minutes or something like that. If you have a specific goal in mind of physical health/fitness then you can't go wrong. With the body, it seems that someone like you would fix one problem and something else would go wrong... ie- if you lost fat you wouldn't feel strong enough due to muscle loss. or if you gained muscle then maybe you would feel like you added too much fat as well.

Being an athlete or atleast training like one always worked best for me when I was younger... I need to actually get back into that.

The point I am trying to make is that when you train like an athlete you get your cardio in so that you are aerobically in shape and you get your weight training in for strength and muscular endurance.... as long as your diet is somewhat moderate you should make good gains
    Goal- From 211- 155 (56 lbs) by July

What doesn't kill me..... AbAbber2k's Avatar
    AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000)
    Cut. Lift every other day. Reduce calories but keep your protein high to prevent/reduce muscle loss. I won't lie though... in order to hit your goal of 20% you'll probably have to drop to at least 120lbs. Focus on building muscle later. Building muscle requires a calorie surplus, and that is going to prevent you from getting leaner. You could potentially recomp, but the results take much much longer to see.
    ACSM Certified Personal Trainer
    AKC Kettlebell Coach, CST Coach
    BS Kinesiology, Washington State University

kdot28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdot28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdot28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdot28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mad_x_00 View Post
    post some pics so we can see
    http://tinypic.com/r/orm2pe/6

(Click on 'view full image')

Originally Posted by cardioking View Post
    Honestly I would suggest that somebody your size just focus on a goal of completing a 5k in 20 minutes or something like that. If you have a specific goal in mind of physical health/fitness then you can't go wrong. With the body, it seems that someone like you would fix one problem and something else would go wrong... ie- if you lost fat you wouldn't feel strong enough due to muscle loss. or if you gained muscle then maybe you would feel like you added too much fat as well.

Being an athlete or atleast training like one always worked best for me when I was younger... I need to actually get back into that.

The point I am trying to make is that when you train like an athlete you get your cardio in so that you are aerobically in shape and you get your weight training in for strength and muscular endurance.... as long as your diet is somewhat moderate you should make good gains
    Funny you should mention that, I am currently doing the Couch to 5k Program. Although, at the pace I am going at now and my poor fitness levels, I will complete 5K in 40-43 minutes!!! I am aiming for 30 minutes at the moment in the next couple of months...20 minutes, maybe in a years time or so!

Stuffnblue will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuffnblue will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuffnblue will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuffnblue will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuffnblue will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuffnblue will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuffnblue will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuffnblue will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuffnblue will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuffnblue will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuffnblue will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    at the very least you should do some body weight stuff 3 days a week

push ups, etc

juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can start lifting right away, "New Rules of Lifting for Women" is a good 6-months program.
    The book is good, it gives a nutrition plan, explains why weight training is necessary.

PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Always do resistance training! Incorporate with your cardio. Will maximize your calorie expenditure and elevate your metabolism like not other.
    BRAINS & GAINS

Strong Mind + Strong Body = UNSTOPPABLE

tehAnimaI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tehAnimaI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tehAnimaI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tehAnimaI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tehAnimaI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tehAnimaI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tehAnimaI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tehAnimaI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tehAnimaI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tehAnimaI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tehAnimaI is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Couch to 5k is a great little app, stick with it, it gets easier
    Some roads you shouldn't go down because maps used to say there'd be dragons there. Now they don't, but that don't mean the dragons aren't there.

cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by kdot28 View Post
    Funny you should mention that, I am currently doing the Couch to 5k Program. Although, at the pace I am going at now and my poor fitness levels, I will complete 5K in 40-43 minutes!!! I am aiming for 30 minutes at the moment in the next couple of months...20 minutes, maybe in a years time or so!
    Thats great. I think you will benefit greatly from that program. Its ok to run your first 5k in 40 minutes. Just keep plugging away after you complete the program and your times will lower dramatically. I am a former cross country runner in high school and am looking to get back into running races competitively. Here is what you do..... after you get done with your couch to 5k and compete in your first race you need to continue to improve by doing this........

1. During your race...... pay attention to how you run the race. Ask yourself questions..... At what point in the race do you feel the worst? At what point do you feel your best? Did you struggle in any aspect of the course or time of the race? Did you struggle with speed, endurance or pace?

2. Once you figure out what problems and successes you had you need to start improving your workout schedule.

3. You want to have a day to run just sprints

4.. You want to have an endurance day

5. You want to have a smaller endurance day with sprints after your long run.

The sprints will help you out in the beginning of race. Your endurance will help you during the race and the sprints afterwards will help your final kick at the end. Not only will sprints help with your speed and lungs but it will also help increase your fast twitch muscles for fat loss.

In terms of weight lifting I would do a combination of low weight/high rep for muscular endurance and low rep/ high weight for strength.

When You run, try to see how your lower back and shoulders feel. Emphasize those if they hurt
    Goal- From 211- 155 (56 lbs) by July

KrisKros will become famous soon enough. (+50) KrisKros will become famous soon enough. (+50) KrisKros will become famous soon enough. (+50) KrisKros will become famous soon enough. (+50) KrisKros will become famous soon enough. (+50) KrisKros will become famous soon enough. (+50) KrisKros will become famous soon enough. (+50) KrisKros will become famous soon enough. (+50) KrisKros will become famous soon enough. (+50) KrisKros will become famous soon enough. (+50) KrisKros will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There ya go
    ====Flip=Gameover=Crew===
    "There's a difference between winners and losers, winners do things that losers don't."

...this user Reps back...

Originally Posted by KrisKros View Post
    There ya go
    Oooh no, please don't blast up my pic big size...ouch, my eyes hurt!!

zona43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zona43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zona43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zona43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zona43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zona43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zona43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zona43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zona43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zona43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zona43 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm wondering how you measured your body fat %?

I'm a similar height/weight and I'm not really sure what my body fat % is. Now I'm really curious. I have pics in my body space.

I would recommend incorporating weights, I haven't been as consistent with it as I should have been, and I really wish I had been better about it.

Droad87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Droad87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Droad87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Droad87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Droad87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Droad87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Droad87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Droad87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Droad87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Droad87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Droad87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Like everyone else said, drop your calories by 500 or so a day, start to incorporate weights, cardio.

You do not have much to lose, You could probably be where you want in 3 months if you are dedicated
    good luck

Originally Posted by zona43 View Post
    I'm wondering how you measured your body fat %?

I'm a similar height/weight and I'm not really sure what my body fat % is. Now I'm really curious. I have pics in my body space.

I would recommend incorporating weights, I haven't been as consistent with it as I should have been, and I really wish I had been better about it.
    I asked for a 'fitness test' at my gym and they used calipers to measure my body fat. Not sure how accurate it is, but hey. 32% is too much for me, I want to get down to 20-25%. :-)

JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    A chick at 32% is, what, like a dude at 22%?

I'd say, if you're over 20%, it's probably wisest to cut. With a chick, I guess it's like 30%.
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

- Arthur Schopenhauer

nikkiloo2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikkiloo2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikkiloo2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikkiloo2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikkiloo2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikkiloo2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikkiloo2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikkiloo2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikkiloo2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikkiloo2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikkiloo2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You should do everything.
    1. Diet (the most important)
    2. Cardio
    3. Weights
    Cardio is important for burning calories. If you knock 250 calories from your diet and burn 250 there's your 500 for a pound a week.
    Weight lifting is important for reshaping your body. When you are at (or near) your goal weight concentrate at least as much (if not more) on lifting as you do on cardio.
    When you don't know what you're talking about just stop talking.

You’ll never be old and wise if you weren’t young and crazy.

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by juliacheh View Post
    You can start lifting right away, "New Rules of Lifting for Women" is a good 6-months program.
    The book is good, it gives a nutrition plan, explains why weight training is necessary.

I would listen to this woman. That baby got back!!!!! Awesome!

Seriously....seek advice from women that can relate to you. It is impossible for me to relate to female size/strength/weight control issues.
    A diet isn't punishment. A diet is a way to reward your body with the wholesome, nutritious food that it needs. Your body composition is a direct reflection of what you put in your mouth.