lucinda53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile bootcamp vs. weight training with machines

Since I am doing four bootcamp classes a week, do I still need to supplement them with machine work?

Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by lucinda53 View Post
    Since I am doing four bootcamp classes a week, do I still need to supplement them with machine work?

Not really enough information for anyone co give useful feedback. Your goals, current weight, diet, length of time training, type of training (bootcamp can mean lots of things) etc. are all things that need to be included in a question like this.
    Natural or Nothing

More is not better, better is better.

lucinda53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Originally Posted by Headshrink View Post
    Not really enough information for anyone co give useful feedback. Your goals, current weight, diet, length of time training, type of training (bootcamp can mean lots of things) etc. are all things that need to be included in a question like this.
    Oh OK. I'm 53 yrs old, 5'8'' about 152 lbs and 21% bodyfat. I've been doing weight training with machines for about 20 yrs and wanted to change up my workouts to bootcamp type workouts which include lots of different exercises done at a very fast pace and light weights with alot of reps i.e. step ups, walking lunges, suspension pulls, sprinting pulling sleds, pushups, plyometric moves, planks, various ab work, sliding board etc. Including the warm up, it is an hour and I do it 4 times a week along with 3 other HIIT training sessions (about 30 mins each) one or two, one hour cycling clasess and a Pilates class. I eat pretty clean focusing on lean protein like Whey protein, lean chicken, fish, eggwhites, turkey, fresh fruit and veggies and whole grains. My main concern is losing muscle since I can't lift as much in b/c classes like with machines, but these classes are way more fun than the machines. I want to keep the muscle I already have and lose a bit more bodyfat, maybe down to 15%, if that's realistic. Hope that helps, thanks for any input, blessings, Cinda

nikkiloo2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikkiloo2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikkiloo2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikkiloo2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikkiloo2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikkiloo2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikkiloo2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikkiloo2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikkiloo2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikkiloo2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikkiloo2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I take a boot camp class twice a week at my work gym. I count it as cardio.
    Lift weights. Dumbbells. Not machines. Put some decent music on your ipod and start with bicep curls, shoulder presses, chest presses, tricep kickbacks, shrugs, lateral and front raises.
    Then search the site for more.
    When you don't know what you're talking about just stop talking.

You’ll never be old and wise if you weren’t young and crazy.

Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I went from a strict diet of heavy barbell training to CrossFit training which is very similar to "bootcamp" style workouts. The results? In six months, I lost about 20 lb (which was a good thing) while losing about 50 pounds off my squat and deadlift (which was a bad thing.)

So, my advice is to continue some sort of regular strength training while you do your bootcamp training. Let's face it: if you're not lifting heavy weights on a regular basis, you will get weaker.