Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Stats: 5'10", 160 lbs
    BodyPoints: 5813
    ImTheRealArab has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImTheRealArab has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImTheRealArab has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImTheRealArab has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImTheRealArab has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImTheRealArab has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImTheRealArab has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImTheRealArab has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImTheRealArab has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImTheRealArab has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImTheRealArab has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Visit ImTheRealArab's BodySpace

My 10 Day Water Fast

I felt this thread was best to post here, as a majority of my fast will be in a ketogenic state. Now my reasons for doing this fast do not include weight loss, it is mainly for experimentation with my body and also for detoxification purposes. This log is merely for those interested in the effects and results. I will be posting pictures everyday along with a short paragraph about my physical and mental state, along with other personal commentary.

Protocol and Other Information

First off, I have been eating ad libitum for one week with strength training and aerobics being done at the time. My last meal was at 11:30pm May 21.

I will be taking 3 supplements during my water fast. Oxyelite Pro (3 caps per day) mainly for the caffeine energy boost during my school hours, and Im sure the appetite suppression effects will help a bit. Lean Xtreme (3 caps daily) hope to suppress cortisol levels amap 1 upon waking, 1 4 hours later, and another 1 4 hours later Pre-WO. Reduction PM 2 caps before bed, I expect my sleeping patterns to be affected and am hoping this will at least give me some restful sleep, yes I have taken it before and experienced better sleep. Nothing else other than water will be consumed.

I will performing physical activity during my 10 day fast everyday. I will perform 2-4 compound exercises of only 1 set. This 1 set will be as intense as possible. This is for muscle retention purposes. Although I only expect to lose from .3-1lb of lbm without any physical activity at all, I believe this will keep it on the lower end. After this weight training I will perform 60min of either stationary cycling or I will walk outside keeping my heart rate in the 140-150bmp range. I also may do some easy BW work during the day if an overwhelming hunger pang surges or if I have a random surge of energy.

I will come off the fast slowly as I expect a reduced metabolic rate for up to 4 weeks. The first day off the fast will consist of 3 whey shakes + BCAAs, the second day off will consist of 6 whey shakes + BCAAS + Raw Vegetables, 3rd day a mix of small amounts of chicken breast, whey shakes, and raw vegetables (1000 cals). By the end of the first week I will transition to a PSMF of about 1100 calories (only 2 whey shakes a day), adding 200 calories every week for 3 weeks at which time I will reassess my dietary needs and plan. I will log the weeks following my fast.

I am currently 18 years old and 5' 11'

Deadlift: 315x4, 350x1
    Box Squat: 210x5
    Row: 145x7
    Incline DB Bench: 75x8
    Dip: 160 + 80x4
    Pullup: 160 + 50x4
    Military Press: 115x8

Closing Notes
    I hope for some motivation in this thread as I have never fasted past 4 days before. I feel I will be put in the face of temptation many times and hope this log will help keep me strong. I would also like to say despite my age I do have a decent understanding of the human body and how it functions, and I have done much research on the human body in the fasted state. I have read countless texts and studies ranging from personal testimonials to college texts. Next fall I will begin college with a major in Biology (BS).
    I will post my first log in the near afternoon, wish me luck. Start: May 22, 2010 12am
    Last edited by ImTheRealArab; 05-22-2010 at 01:06 PM.

Stats: 5'4", 207 lbs
    laughaliscious is just really nice. (+1000) laughaliscious is just really nice. (+1000) laughaliscious is just really nice. (+1000) laughaliscious is just really nice. (+1000) laughaliscious is just really nice. (+1000) laughaliscious is just really nice. (+1000) laughaliscious is just really nice. (+1000) laughaliscious is just really nice. (+1000) laughaliscious is just really nice. (+1000) laughaliscious is just really nice. (+1000) laughaliscious is just really nice. (+1000)
    Visit laughaliscious's BodySpace
    I don't know that I could do anything like this. A couple days maybe, but anything past that I'd probably go bananas! Will be interesting to see your progress. Good luck!

ImTheRealArab has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImTheRealArab has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImTheRealArab has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImTheRealArab has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImTheRealArab has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImTheRealArab has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImTheRealArab has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImTheRealArab has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImTheRealArab has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImTheRealArab has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ImTheRealArab has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Day 1 Report

The first day went as expected. Hunger was not an issue, I was only slightly hunger before my workout. Hunger is easily subdued with constant water intake. When I woke up I did not feel very good at all, this is definitely due to my eating habits the past week, especially the past two days (filled with carbs), I felt sluggish and tired. Post workout my sluggishness went away, and I was and still am slightly tired. I weighed in at 162.2lbs Pre-WO. I am about 12% bodyfat at the moment.

My WO looked like this
    Military Press: 3 Warm up Sets, 120x5
    Pullups: Bodyweight(BW)x17
    Dips: BWx25
    Overhead Lunges: 45x10(each leg)
    60 mins on stationary bike, 13.15 miles, Resistance at 10, HR averaged at about 151
    I deviated slightly on my workout plan but that was only for today.

Mentally I am fine, just annoyed at seeing good food around me. Physically fine also, nothing worth noting. Below are my pictures, I accidentally deleted a couple of the photos I took that were Pre-WO so I retook them (black briefs Pre-WO, blue briefs Post-WO). If anyone wants a different picture please ask. Also I am trying to take the most brutally honest photos possible. When I am walking I can faintly see the outline of my abs. When flexing, I can see the top 2 abs clearly and the bottom 2 faintly on the left side, on the right side I can see the top 2 clearly and the third faintly, the fourth not at all. My V is is very visible.

Pre-WO Back flexed

Post-WO Front Relaxed

Post-WO Front Semi-flexed

Closing Thoughts
    I can feel my hunger building and I will be up most likely until 2am, I will drink cold water in hopes of subduing hunger as much as possible. Hunger will dissipate after the 3rd or 4th day after I fully enter Ketosis. Also, I am dreading how i will look after the next few days of carb depletion, I already look much worse than I did in the morning. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Originally Posted by laughaliscious View Post
    I don't know that I could do anything like this. A couple days maybe, but anything past that I'd probably go bananas! Will be interesting to see your progress. Good luck!
    Thanks. Like I said before, the most I have ever done was 4 days so I am slightly worried that I will go bananas lol. Hopefully this log will help keep me motivated, the only thing I fear is the many temptations that I know I will have, I have already been tempted with pizza and ice cream today.

Also I typically eat very healthy. Lean meats, lots of olive and fish oil, good amount of greens and berries, on occasion some oatmeal, potatoes, rice, or beans. However, I usually do have a day in the week where I eat whatever I want. This usually includes some fast foods and lots of cereals, pasta, pizza, ice cream and cookies, etc.. Sucks that the "clean" foods will be just as tempting as the "dirty" foods.

Day 2 Report
    WO
    Note: Warm up sets done before each work set, usually 3-5 progressively getting heavier
    Front Squat: 160x4
    Flat DB Bench: 80(each hand)x6
    BB Row: 150x7
    Leg Raise: BWx20, +20x5
    5.1 mile walk outside, avg speed 4.2mph, 73min

I went into this workout packed with energy. My front squat stayed the same, my DB bench went up a rep, and my rows went up 5lbs. Very surprised that I improved in these lifts, and even more shocked at how much energy I had, usually the second day is the hardest. On the front squats I felt I could get another 2 reps but my biceps became very strained. I wanted to do so much more in the weight room, and felt I easily could, but the objective of the workout is to retain muscle mass and strength, and so I ended it with the above. Following my workout I went for a fast paced walk outside. I t was a gorgeous day, 82 degrees, mostly sunny. During my walk I had two intervals about .15-.25 miles each in which I ran at about 8 mph. During these two intervals I felt severe hunger, and only during those intervals; also had some pain in my upper abdominal region and I could not breath nearly as well. I have just returned from this walk and feel completely fine with plenty of energy. This is a light workload compared to my typical workouts and I do miss my typical workouts, but I am very happy with the couple workouts I have had so far.

I went to bed around 3am and woke up around 10:30 am. A couple things I want to mention. First, I woke to a very humid and hot room with a terrible tension headache. This headache went away after I lightly massaged the bothersome area, put some ice on it, and laid down in a breezy room. Second, I only slept for 7.5 hours and yet I felt as if I had slept 12, which I usually do. I was not sluggish at all, had a constant stream of energy, and had very good mental clarity and focus. I was very shocked at how awake and alert I was with this little sleep. I am usually only getting 5-6 hours of sleep on the weekdays, and usually get around 12 hours on the weekends. Im curious to see how I will feel tomorrow with most likely only 5 hours of sleep.

Today I weighed in at 158.3, 4lbs lighter than yesterday. I expected a 3-6lb drop in weight of primarily water. Here are a couple of pics Pre-WO.

Back Flexed

Front Relaxed

Front Semi-Flexed

Closing Thoughts
    Everything is going very smoothly and I havent had any hunger pangs or cravings. My thoughts of food have even decreased already. My mother made some delicious food this morning and I wasnt tempted at all. I feel that I may have already hit ketosis. Anyways, I feel great and very strong, will post my next log Post-WO again tomorrow. Any questions or comments, please feel free.

Couple of things. Before my shower, I was posing naked in the mirror (you know you do it too), and I was pleasantly surprised at how my abdominal area looked. Although very carb depleted and flat, I have clearly lost a large amount of water, and I suspect some fat from the area making it look much, much better. Just another bonus to the fast I suppose, even though weight/fat loss are not the main goals.

Also, I hear that caffeine may take one out of ketosis, and each one my oxyelite pro caps contains 100mg of caffeine each (taking 3 a day, 300mg of caffeine). I have just purchased some ketostik to make sure I am staying in ketosis, which I believe I am, but they wont be here for another 3-5 days... very unfortunate.

Day 3 Report

Workout
    TGU: 40x5 each hand
    DB Power Clean: 60x6 each hand (very easy)
    Deadlift:315x2 (could have gotten one more easily, 2 if I wanted)
    60 min of cycling on stationary bike, Resistance 10, 13.25miles, avg Heart Rate 155

Well today was another day of ease and energy. Woke up to my alarm at 7am sleepy, stayed sleepy for about 2 hours at which point I became very energized. This energy still remains even Post-WO as I type this. Mental Clarity and focus was very good today; was very productive. No hunger today at all. Weighed in at 157lbs Pre-WO today; was very happy that my weight didn't drop much; didnt myself Post-WO but I estimate that I was lb or 2 lighter. I would also like to comment on my mood. I seem to be slightly happier, just in an overall better mood, and i know Ive said this before, but mental clarity is wonderful. My sisters have been telling me I have been looking progressively skinnier everyday, with my body overall looking tighter, yet in some spots (mainly abdominals), less defined and puffier. This is definitely due to the carb depletion and all the water. Post-WO today however, they told me they could clearly see all 4 abs on the left side, and the first 3 on the right, they were quite amazed at the difference between me Pre and Post WO.

Here are some pics... sorry that they have been in different lighting. I have found the best and most honest lighting in my house which I will be using for the remainder of my pictures.

Pre-WO completely Relaxed

Back Pre-WO Flexed

and again

Front Pre-WO very lightly flexing

Front Post-WO very lightly flexing

Closing Thoughts
    I would like to say that I feel fantastic. Great mood and extremely energized. I am very sad to announce however that I will have to cut the fast short to only 5.5 days. Some things have come up and I will not be able to continue the fast for the full 10 days. This obviously changes my post-fast dietary plans. I will continue this log until the end of the fast though. Any questions or comments, please post!

Stats: 5'11", 241 lbs
    mtfx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mtfx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mtfx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mtfx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mtfx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mtfx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mtfx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mtfx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mtfx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mtfx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) mtfx has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit mtfx's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by ImTheRealArab View Post
    Couple of things. Before my shower, I was posing naked in the mirror (you know you do it too)
    I lol'd. +rep for lulz
    ~ Infinite Labs Rep
    http://infinitelabsstore.com/

♦♦ I Am Juggernaut Challenge ♦♦ Win a Trip to the 2011 Mr. Olympia!!!
    www.iamjuggernaut.com
    http://iamjuggernaut.com/rules.pdf

Group Juggernaut!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/group.php?groupid=30172

Visit Infinite Labs on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/InfiniteLabsSupplements

ROM and MMC are more important than EGO
    400Lb Gorilla

Im very sad to have to say that even further complications came up today and I was forced to break the fast at 85 hours in.... lots of events that I didnt account for. I broke the fast lightly with lots of greens, then some lentil soup, then some oatmeal with an apple, then an orange, and finally 7 grilled chicken drumsticks, with half a sweet potato and some watermelon as a desert. Oh... and I did cheat a bit, had 2 slices of low calorie potato bread topped with half a tbsp peanut butter each and some sugar free jelly(trying to keep my diet as natural as possible so this was definitely a cheat). Nonetheless, after finishing all this food, I simply look spectacular compared to what I did before the fast. Much leaner all around and my lower abdominal and oblique fat has decreased a substantial amount. Very nice added benefit to fasting. I will be fasting for the next 60 hours btw. I will be training wednesday and thursday and break the fast around 9am Friday.

I apologize to all of you who were hoping to see my results for the full 10 days, many things came up that I had not planned. I will definitely be doing a 10 day fast in the future(dont worry, Ill pick a more stable time period) and will post another log. Sorry again, until next time, later.

nwaa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit nwaa's BodySpace
    Just remember to go very low on your calories if you do complete a 10 day fast and up it slowly, this is the most important aspect.
    Don`t stress too much about the muscle loss, it will happen no matter how much you lift, but it does come back easily and quickly later. The most I stayed without food was 20 days.

PS: For the others, please, do not do this with the purpose of losing fat, you won`t look ripped at all.