NoobGains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Squats and Femoral Anterior Glide Syndrome

I'm hoping you guys can provide some information

I believe I'm suffering from Femoral Anterior Glide Syndrome. The front of my hip has been hurting after doing back squats. If I feel it during my workout its at the bottom of the squat, but I feel it the next day when changing body positions (sit to stand). If I'm sitting and put my foot up on my other knee I tend to get some pain.

I recently went to a personal trainer to help improve my form while squatting. I learned that I'm not sitting back on my heels enough. I was told that this causes the hamstrings bear a lot more of the weight. From what I have found on the internet the combination of weight on the hamstrings and not using my glutes correctly cause the Femoral Anterior Glide Syndrome to occur.

I am at about week 11 of SS. I really don't want to take a break, but I was thinking I would take a week off (kinda a forced deload). When I start up again lower my squat weight and build back up. It sounds like this isn't really an injury so much as a warning sign of improper technique.

Does most of my information sound correct? Hard to be 100% sure what is correct when it comes to googled internet information.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of issue from squats?

Where I should be activating my glutes in the squat? At the bottom? I tend to think of lifting my tailbone when coming out of the bottom of the squat.

grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Could be a couple of things. It could be ***S, or could be hip flexor tendonitis, or could be mashing your hip flexor between your femur and pelvis. In order:

***S: curl up your toes during a few sets of squats. This forces you to balance more on your heels. While driving upwards, focus on driving up with your hips. Actively squeezing your glutes together during the ascent can also help. do not stretch out your hip flexors here. Rest a couple of days, take some advil and fish oil then get back to it.

Hip Flexor Tendonitis: your knees might be sliding forward in the squat, or you might be pushing asymmetrically. Make sure to sit back and drive up with the hips. If your knees slide forward at the bottom, it can cause a weird kind of tendonitis at the hip. Try to only bend the knees the first third of the way down, and then only sit back for the rest. After a few sets, do it all in one smooth motion. This issue tends to creep up on lifters of all levels.

Hip Flexors being Mashed: Widen your squat stance slightly, and keep your knees out. This lets your femurs clear your pelvis on the outside in the hole and keeps them from mashing the soft parts in your hip.

These are experienced I've had or people I've lifted with have had. Hope it helps.

EDIT: ahahahahah it censored F A G
    GOMAD!

kingv911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by grumble1 View Post
    Could be a couple of things. It could be ***S, or could be hip flexor tendonitis, or could be mashing your hip flexor between your femur and pelvis. In order:

***S: curl up your toes during a few sets of squats. This forces you to balance more on your heels. While driving upwards, focus on driving up with your hips. Actively squeezing your glutes together during the ascent can also help. do not stretch out your hip flexors here. Rest a couple of days, take some advil and fish oil then get back to it.

Hip Flexor Tendonitis: your knees might be sliding forward in the squat, or you might be pushing asymmetrically. Make sure to sit back and drive up with the hips. If your knees slide forward at the bottom, it can cause a weird kind of tendonitis at the hip. Try to only bend the knees the first third of the way down, and then only sit back for the rest. After a few sets, do it all in one smooth motion. This issue tends to creep up on lifters of all levels.

Hip Flexors being Mashed: Widen your squat stance slightly, and keep your knees out. This lets your femurs clear your pelvis on the outside in the hole and keeps them from mashing the soft parts in your hip.

These are experienced I've had or people I've lifted with have had. Hope it helps.

EDIT: ahahahahah it censored F A G
    Thanks or this, I'm having the same issues. I got out of squatting for awhile due to a knee problem, but tried returning 6 months ago only to have my hip flexors feel like they were getting stabbed - with only moderate weight and really good form. Started squatting again few weeks ago and am having the same thing. I think my glutes are weak compared to my quads and hamstrings, I need the glutes to pull my femur posteriorly. Makes sense.

Also, I like how they edited ***S out...c'mon it's medically related!

jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jae215 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by kingv911 View Post
    Thanks or this, I'm having the same issues. I got out of squatting for awhile due to a knee problem, but tried returning 6 months ago only to have my hip flexors feel like they were getting stabbed - with only moderate weight and really good form. Started squatting again few weeks ago and am having the same thing. I think my glutes are weak compared to my quads and hamstrings, I need the glutes to pull my femur posteriorly. Makes sense.

Also, I like how they edited ***S out...c'mon it's medically related!
    I had a lot of hip flexor pain during squats, and while reading up on the symptoms, I saw that it could have been femoral anterior glide syndrome. Stretching my hip flexors and extensive warm-ups didn't help at all. The only thing that worked was replacing back squats with bulgarian split squats and deadlifts (switching between standard and SDL). I also incorporated a few minutes of the seated glute stretch with glute/hamstring foam rolling every morning. The hip flexor pain reduced significantly after about 4 weeks, and I started working back/front squats into my routine after 5 weeks.

I believe that the (heavy) split squats, deadlifts, and stretching routine helped considerably in forcing glute activation. For added glute activation, I would use an isometric hold at the bottom of the split squat.

Good luck broham.

Seated glute stretch: http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Gluteu...us/Seated.html