eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

dumbbell chest press vs cable chest press

I work out alone, so I've been using dumbbells for chest presses instead of a bar so there is no risk in getting caught under something. However, I've now moved up to a weight that is too heavy for me to get started...if that makes sense. You know how sometimes you need help giving the weight that initial push, but then after that you're fine and can do it by yourself? Well since I work out alone, I have nobody to help me give the weight an initial push, even though I know I can handle the weight.....so I've switched to the freemotion cable machine to do chest presses. Does anybody else do this? How does it compare?

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I am in the same situation, I work out alone, and am worried about hurting myself so I use machines. Most people here poo-poo machines, but frankly what other choice do we have? Better to use machines than to hurt yourself, and better to use machines and still be able to progress than having to stop at one weight because you can't handle it by yourself. At least that's my logic.

justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you are having a problem at the bottom of the press work on your triceps and lats a little bit more.

You can also try adding in resisted push ups (loop a exercise band under your hands and across your back to add resistance) for a press variation that is safe without a spotter.
    Citius! Fortius! Altius!

www.miamifuryfootball.com

Justass of the Piece, #3.14
    Miami Fury starting center, retired roller derby player and coach and continually aspiring tough chick

MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDesi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm glad you posted this! I had this very problem during my workout today and was extremely bummed. I can't seem to find another chick that wants to workout with me anymore They all get scared off after a couple of weeks.
    Trauma survivor and women's advocate since 2007.

punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I know that feeling. I was ready to bump up the weight and couldn't get it in the start position. It's so frustrating! My chest was always way stronger than any other bodypart.
    Bodybuilding is not weight and repetitions; it’s resistance and absolute muscle failure. It’s not quantitative; it’s qualitative. It’s more mental than physical. It’s more control than rage. It’s the realization that you can always get bigger. ~ bodybuilding

hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by MsDesi View Post
    I'm glad you posted this! I had this very problem during my workout today and was extremely bummed. I can't seem to find another chick that wants to workout with me anymore They all get scared off after a couple of weeks.
    Yeah none of my lady friends want to workout with me either....they all quit on me when they see how hard I go in the gym....I had this issue during my workout. I wanted to put on extra weight but I was afraid to do it without a spotter...sometimes though you can ask someone in the gym to spot you. I was doing db presses and this guy was very helpful and didn't mind spotting me, so that could be an option
    Push it to the limit!!!!

Favorite saying - GO GET IT!

I am a "beastess" - thanks Brian!!!

12-11-10 first powerlifting meet
    314.16/187/341 - 843 lbs total raw!

3-26-11 USPA state championship
    314.16/198.7/352 - 865lbs total raw - best female raw lifter (Open division)

On to nationals!!!

ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by eleni611 View Post
    I work out alone, so I've been using dumbbells for chest presses instead of a bar so there is no risk in getting caught under something. However, I've now moved up to a weight that is too heavy for me to get started...if that makes sense.
    Makes total sense because I too workout alone. I would love a partner but I make due with what I got. I learned how to sit on the edge of the bench(if flat bench) and hold the DB on the top of my knees. If you kick your leg up from the seated position while leaning back carefully, you can get the dumbbells in place. PRACTICE USING LIGHT WEIGHTS. WARNING: if you kick to hard while trying to get the weights in starting position, you could end up with the weight taking your arm backwards and that would be no bueno for your shoulder. I'm fortunate in that I practiced so that my arm doesn't go all the way back. The most I've done was 55lb DBs anyway so it's not like it's earthshattering. I'm trying to get back to DB presses at 55lb so that I can hit my goal of 80's. That's a ways off. I'll keep you posted. LOL. It's dangerous if you are careless doing this but I learned how to do it correctly if I don't have a workout partner to help. Here is a link to a video showing a guy putting some big DBs into position.

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_onli...eavy_dummbells

ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by eleni611 View Post
    I work out alone, so I've been using dumbbells for chest presses instead of a bar so there is no risk in getting caught under something. However, I've now moved up to a weight that is too heavy for me to get started...if that makes sense. You know how sometimes you need help giving the weight that initial push, but then after that you're fine and can do it by yourself? Well since I work out alone, I have nobody to help me give the weight an initial push, even though I know I can handle the weight.....so I've switched to the freemotion cable machine to do chest presses. Does anybody else do this? How does it compare?
    Forgot. Who says you can't do both? You can use a lower weight DB and then use the cables as the last finishing exercise. I use cables as the last chest exercise to get that last burn in the chest area. I'm very serious about having that carved line down the middle of my chest. Working on the diet also but when the fat melts away, I'll look like I'm wearing chest armor. At least that's the plan.