davekarn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Working out 3 times a day...too much? (Army)

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and felt compelled to ask you all a question. A few weeks ago I've started working out three times a day. I am currently in the military so I do our PT in the morning, workout at lunch and run at night. Current workout plan is M-W-F: run in the morning and at night, w/ a leg workout at lunch. Tuesday: Chest/Arms in the morning, back/shoulders at lunch, and run in the evening. Thursday is the opposite with back/shoulders morning and chest/arms at lunch with a run at night. I am currently taking Jack3d before each workout (max twice a day), CellMass after each workout (max two servings a day), AMP Amplified Mass XXX protein after each workout (2x servings max of 4 scoops each) and Animal Pak. I am 27 and currently weigh 180 lbs. Am I taking the right stuff, and am I doing too much or is it a good blend of workouts? Thanks in advance for any help and sorry if any of this seems ignorant.

~Dave

mrchaikel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by davekarn View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and felt compelled to ask you all a question. A few weeks ago I've started working out three times a day. I am currently in the military so I do our PT in the morning, workout at lunch and run at night. Current workout plan is M-W-F: run in the morning and at night, w/ a leg workout at lunch. Tuesday: Chest/Arms in the morning, back/shoulders at lunch, and run in the evening. Thursday is the opposite with back/shoulders morning and chest/arms at lunch with a run at night. I am currently taking Jack3d before each workout (max twice a day), CellMass after each workout (max two servings a day), AMP Amplified Mass XXX protein after each workout (2x servings max of 4 scoops each) and Animal Pak. I am 27 and currently weigh 180 lbs. Am I taking the right stuff, and am I doing too much or is it a good blend of workouts? Thanks in advance for any help and sorry if any of this seems ignorant.

~Dave

Not ignorant. Better to ask. I cannot comment on the PT, running and cardio as that is not part of my routine. However, working chest and arms in the morning and then going to back and shoulders at lunch seems like you are overtraining. You then hit the same muscle groups 48 hours later but in reverse order. You need to give each muscle group time to rest (ie. appr 3-4 days.) This analogy was stated better by Dorian Yates, 5 time Mr. Olympia- working out is like taking sandpaper and rubbing your hands raw. you want callous'(muscle)to form. it takes several days for that to happen. if you rub your hands again with sandpaper a day or two later, you will never get callous (muscle) formation.