frasersteen is a name known to all. (+5000) frasersteen is a name known to all. (+5000) frasersteen is a name known to all. (+5000) frasersteen is a name known to all. (+5000) frasersteen is a name known to all. (+5000) frasersteen is a name known to all. (+5000) frasersteen is a name known to all. (+5000) frasersteen is a name known to all. (+5000) frasersteen is a name known to all. (+5000) frasersteen is a name known to all. (+5000) frasersteen is a name known to all. (+5000)

Taking a week off, when do you guys do it and what do you do

I don't know about anyone else but I find that after about 4 weeks or so of training the weights get very heavy and the reps get very hard. I take this a cue and just take a week off. I lose strength a little but it comes back after a workout or 2.

I still make progress on linear progression programs (although it is getting more difficult)

What do you guys do? Does this happen to you? Do you still work out, if so what do you do with your program?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I never do it.

The most I'll do it reduce volume (number of sets) for a day or two but keep intensity high.

I'll take a day off for a virus that makes me feel weak but not usually more than one.

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    4 weeks is too soon for time off. You can either deload as suffolk mentioned, or take some time off after a longer period of training (I take time off every 3 months or so when I know I need it and i know I have earned it. I have learned from my instincts after many years of training when I need to back off, both mentally and physically). Nothing wrong with cycling your rep ranges either. Progression doesn't only have to be in one rep range.
    Who was this love of yours?

braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just listen to your body. I can feel when im over doing it. I can normally go a few months before it all starts catching up with me.

Trouble sleeping, cold/flu like symptoms and general fatigue are good signs you should take some time off. Catch it early, take a week off ( i generally just do a few light cardio sessions and stay away from the weights for about a week)

You wll be suprised how much better a deload or a lil time off will make you feel. I always come back stronger.

frasersteen is a name known to all. (+5000) frasersteen is a name known to all. (+5000) frasersteen is a name known to all. (+5000) frasersteen is a name known to all. (+5000) frasersteen is a name known to all. (+5000) frasersteen is a name known to all. (+5000) frasersteen is a name known to all. (+5000) frasersteen is a name known to all. (+5000) frasersteen is a name known to all. (+5000) frasersteen is a name known to all. (+5000) frasersteen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by braden101 View Post
    Just listen to your body. I can feel when im over doing it. I can normally go a few months before it all starts catching up with me.

Trouble sleeping, cold/flu like symptoms and general fatigue are good signs you should take some time off. Catch it early, take a week off ( i generally just do a few light cardio sessions and stay away from the weights for about a week)

You wll be suprised how much better a deload or a lil time off will make you feel. I always come back stronger.
    Hmm, this always seems to happen after a month or so. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I need to do some periodisation.

GENERATOR will become famous soon enough. (+50) GENERATOR will become famous soon enough. (+50) GENERATOR will become famous soon enough. (+50) GENERATOR will become famous soon enough. (+50) GENERATOR will become famous soon enough. (+50) GENERATOR will become famous soon enough. (+50) GENERATOR will become famous soon enough. (+50) GENERATOR will become famous soon enough. (+50) GENERATOR will become famous soon enough. (+50) GENERATOR will become famous soon enough. (+50) GENERATOR will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yesterday I slept insaine amount of time (overall maybe 20 hrs), I just considered it my week off, try same.
    in order to become super successful, you must get comfortable to performing at high level.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    I deload every four weeks or so unless I am still really making good progress, it has varied depending on the program I'm on. I try to avoid totally taking time off because after even a week I go from having little to no DOMS to massive pain and I'd rather avoid as much DOMS as possible. Even when I do take time off I still have to keep stretching or I begin to lose flexibility very fast, I've never been that flexible anyways and as I'm aging its getting harder to stay supple and requires constant attention.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by frasersteen View Post
    I don't know about anyone else but I find that after about 4 weeks or so of training the weights get very heavy and the reps get very hard. I take this a cue and just take a week off. I lose strength a little but it comes back after a workout or 2.

I still make progress on linear progression programs (although it is getting more difficult)

What do you guys do? Does this happen to you? Do you still work out, if so what do you do with your program?
    usually every 6-8 weeks take a week off.
    it's hard, more so on the mind than anything else
    you won't lose much if anything, I never do.
    Just remember to keep your diet in check.
    For me it is just good to get out of the gym for a few days, it gets me motivated again and I can't wait to go back.
    lifting @9000ft bishes!

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    A good thread, from the "exercises" forum stickies, covering this topic:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121391461
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Every 4 weeks seems way to often to me. For the past two years I've only taken a week off prior to meets. During that week, I usually still eat eveyrthing in sight and I'm always stronger after. IMHO if you're weaker after a break, why do it? Your body didn't need it.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

Andre4000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I took ten days off for a family vacation. I had been squatting about 245-250, but when I came back 2 days ago I was really struggling with 235 and am really sore from it. Is this strength loss typical for a break like that?

BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you are feeling wiped out after 4 weeks of training each time, you have to look at your whole lifestyle.

Are you getting enough good food to eat? Are you getting proper rest? Are you overtraining during the times you do lift?

For me, it's every two to three months that I take a week or two off. During that time, I try to maintain some sort of active recovery, such as playing hoops or volleyball or tennis or bike riding a couple times in that period.

Once a year, we go on a two week vacation, and my active recovery consists of swimming in the ocean with my kids and later walking the boardwalk. That's it. The rest of the time is, well, resting. Either by the pool, or at the beach or in bed. (Though, in bed, there's more active recovery, if you know what I mean )
    --There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

--Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81

--The proper plural form of the Latin adjective biceps is bicipites, a form not in general English use. Instead, biceps is used in both singular and plural (i.e., when referring to both arms). The form bicep [sic], although common even in professional contexts, is considered incorrect. (from Wikipedia)

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    Every 4 weeks seems way to often to me. For the past two years I've only taken a week off prior to meets. During that week, I usually still eat eveyrthing in sight and I'm always stronger after. IMHO if you're weaker after a break, why do it? Your body didn't need it.
    Aren't you following the Westside style of workout though. If I remember correctly Louie recommend changing you max effort exercises every four weeks or so, in essence changing the neural pathways used in order to give yourself the same type of break a deload would provide without actually having to do less than a maximal lift. Correct me if my head is......
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    Aren't you following the Westside style of workout though. If I remember correctly Louie recommend changing you max effort exercises every four weeks or so, in essence changing the neural pathways used in order to give yourself the same type of break a deload would provide without actually having to do less than a maximal lift. Correct me if my head is......
    Yeah, I follow a slightly modified westside template. It's modified because I like to ski a lot from November to usually June ( I live about 10 minutes from some of the best skiing in north america, IMHO ), and it's modified for strongman training when it's not ski season. We don't really change max effort exercises though. For benching for example, it's ALWAYS flat barbell bench, but sometimes it's with chains, sometimes it's with bands, reverse bands, bands+reverse bands, board presses, floor presses, etc, but the basic movement is the same ( I think that's really important for people wanting to build strength ). I guess for deadlifting, the movement is changed more than benching, ME exercises are deadlifting, rack pulls, concentric good mornings, that's basically it. Squatting, it's usually barbell back squats, sometimes box squats ( but always box squats for DE work ) and sometimes safety squat bar squats.

But yes, maybe my training is designed to not need to take breaks. I don't take many, but I will occasionally do a deload max effort session, and sometimes will do some active recovery work. But IMHO if you're weaker after a break like the OP said he is, then why do it? especially if it's so often.
    Last edited by bigtallox; 05-19-2010 at 09:34 AM.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    If you are feeling wiped out after 4 weeks of training each time, you have to look at your whole lifestyle.

Are you getting enough good food to eat? Are you getting proper rest? Are you overtraining during the times you do lift?

For me, it's every two to three months that I take a week or two off. During that time, I try to maintain some sort of active recovery, such as playing hoops or volleyball or tennis or bike riding a couple times in that period.

Once a year, we go on a two week vacation, and my active recovery consists of swimming in the ocean with my kids and later walking the boardwalk. That's it. The rest of the time is, well, resting. Either by the pool, or at the beach or in bed. (Though, in bed, there's more active recovery, if you know what I mean )
    I'm not exactly wiped out, but everything gets harder for no apparent reason.

eg if I am doing 3x5 heavy squats, I tend to either barely be able to do them or fail on rep 3 or 4 for the last 2 sets. Bearing in mind I can normally add weight to the bar almost every workout this is significant.

Diet is good (protein, macros, etc) but on a significant deficit to lose weight.

Routine involves heavy compounds. Big 3 twice a week, and one assistance/alternative day. Basically a modified version of SS (to accommodate the recommendations of my PL coach).

braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000) braden101 is just really nice. (+1000)
    What are you doing when you find yourself unable to complete the reps?

Do you give it another go next session with the same weight?

BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Diet is good (protein, macros, etc) but on a significant deficit to lose weight.

Routine involves heavy compounds. Big 3 twice a week, and one assistance/alternative day. Basically a modified version of SS (to accommodate the recommendations of my PL coach).
    Maybe this is your problem. You are probably trying to do too much with your limited calories.
    --There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

--Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81

--The proper plural form of the Latin adjective biceps is bicipites, a form not in general English use. Instead, biceps is used in both singular and plural (i.e., when referring to both arms). The form bicep [sic], although common even in professional contexts, is considered incorrect. (from Wikipedia)