bunit1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

New to body builing, please comment on my diet

Hi started training 6 months ago, goal is to put on muscle while losing the fat around my abs, isnt much fat there to be honest but love handles are still present ha ha

Current weight is 140lbs, GYM 4 days a week. Below is my normal mon - fri diet, at the weekend im usually away from my house so normally indulge in 1 bad meal a week (chinese, pizza, fish and chips)

09.00 - 3 X Weetabix + Low Fat Milk, 1 Scoop Whey Protein
    11.00 - 2 x bananas
    13.00 - 1 Can of Tuna + Low Fat Milk
    15.00 - 2 Apples + Chicken Sandwich / Beans
    17.00 - Chicken fillet / steak / pork chops + Rice / boiled potatoes / peas
    18.00 - GYM
    19.00 - 1 Scoop Whey Protein
    21.00 - 4 X Scrambled Eggs + Tin Baked Beans
    22.00 - 1 Scoop Whey Protein

Any advice on improvement is welcome thanks

Greco18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greco18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greco18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greco18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greco18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greco18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greco18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greco18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greco18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greco18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greco18 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    well usually people that are really serious about their nutrition try to wake up arodn 6 at least to have their first meal so to not to pack a bunch of meals in close to bed time and also to make sure your body doesn't go too long overnight without food.. anyway.. aside from that which may not be the most important thing.. try a bigger meal for breakfast as you want to set the tone for your metabolism for the rest of the day, maybe 2 eggs, 6 eggs whites, 1/4 cup oats, natty peanut butter, glass of milk, or something..

2 bananas? i'd try to eat these closer to or post workout, i dont really see bananas as a meal substitue, especially after your low cal breakfast..

can of tuna and low fat milk? what is that like 250 cal? need to eat more than that if you're training.

anyway in my opinoin, you should eat a bit more, eat bigger meals in the morning and slowly decrease the size of your meal as the day progresses.. try eating cottage cheese close to bed time i dont think that scoop of whey before bed is necessary at all... consume some sort of simple carb with your protein shake post workout, oats, dextrose? maybe those bananas would be better here?..

eat more berries such as blueberries, blackeberries, etc.

include natural peanut butter here and there

make sure that rice is brown or wild.. and those potatoes replace them with yams or sweet potato.

eat more and increase cardio, specifically post workout and in the morning on an empty stomach if you're trying to build but lean out.. try not to sacrifice your diet too much, you aren't cutting you're trying to get the best of both worlds here.

anyway that is my critique.. however it could have been much more specific if you included you height, current BF%, your workout routine, do you do abs frequently? how about the "big 3"? also would have likd to see the total macros for your current diet plan, eg. how much protein, carbs fat, cals.

anyway goodluck man.

Greco18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greco18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greco18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greco18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greco18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greco18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greco18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greco18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greco18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greco18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greco18 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    oh and uh try to replace your poor weekend diet with healthier eating, it takes dedication.. nothing good comes without pain and sacrifice says Henry Rollins.. another thing.. try to eat 100% whole grain carbs as much as you can and take away almost all your simple carbs except around workout time.. fruits are still ok though don't ge the wrong idea.. and honey is ok in the morning with peanut butter.. MMMMMM .. also do not have any cakes, pop, candy, chocolate bars, chips, etc. etc.

do it up buddy

bunit1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cool cheers guys.

Is the protein shake before sleep really a bad idea? I was just thinking along the lines of having protein in the body while you sleep so the body has something to work with for the hours youre asleep, or does it make more sense to skip it then just as you say increase the size of the breakfast i have?

With the natural peanut butter ive never tried that, does it contain alot of fat also?

If it helps my BF% is 12%, Height is 6ft 1inch.

Work out is

Day One

Flat Bench Press (4 sets)
    Incline Bench Press (4 sets)
    Dumb Bell Press (4 sets)
    Pec Flys (4 sets)
    Barbell Curls (3 sets)
    Barbell Curls (3 sets)

Day Two

Thigh Curls (4 sets)
    Thigh Extensions (4 sets)
    Squats (4 sets)
    Seated Calf Raises (4 sets)
    Toe Press (4 sets)

Day Three

Close Grip Pull Downs (4 sets)
    Pully Rows (3 sets)
    Iso Rows (3 sets)
    Hyperextensions (3 sets)
    Dips (3 sets)
    Tricep Pushdown (3 sets)

Day Four

Shoulder Press (4 sets)
    Side Laterals (3 sets)
    Rear Delts (4 sets)
    Shrugs (4 sets)
    Reverse Crunches (4 sets)
    Seated Leg Raises (4 sets)

eLiTe_J_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eLiTe_J_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eLiTe_J_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eLiTe_J_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eLiTe_J_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eLiTe_J_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eLiTe_J_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eLiTe_J_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eLiTe_J_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eLiTe_J_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eLiTe_J_ has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Looks decent to me.

koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Greco18 View Post
    well usually people that are really serious about their nutrition try to wake up arodn 6 at least to have their first meal so to not to pack a bunch of meals in close to bed time and also to make sure your body doesn't go too long overnight without food.. anyway.. aside from that which may not be the most important thing.. try a bigger meal for breakfast as you want to set the tone for your metabolism for the rest of the day, maybe 2 eggs, 6 eggs whites, 1/4 cup oats, natty peanut butter, glass of milk, or something..
    Watch the bro-science dude..

anyway in my opinoin, you should eat a bit more, eat bigger meals in the morning and slowly decrease the size of your meal as the day progresses..
    Some more bro-science.

consume some sort of simple carb with your protein shake post workout, oats, dextrose? maybe those bananas would be better here?..
    And a bit more..

make sure that rice is brown or wild.. and those potatoes replace them with yams or sweet potato.
    And more...

eat more and increase cardio, specifically post workout and in the morning on an empty stomach if you're trying to build but lean out.. try not to sacrifice your diet too much, you aren't cutting you're trying to get the best of both worlds here.
    Cardio is not required during this stage at all, especially on empty stomach.

koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000)
    To OP: Most probably you won't be able to gain mass and lose fat at the same time: you could get lucky if you're a noob, but that normally does not happen. You either cut or bulk.

You don't really have to eat every 2 hours: it doesn't affect your metabolism or anything. (Unless you're doing it coz you like it you can switch to 3-5 meals a day)

As for diet: throw in some veggies and fish oil (unless you eat lots of fish)

Remember: it is overall calories that count. Find your maintenance and eat just enough to gain 1lb/week and lift hard! By "lift hard" i mean try to beat your records every week in some way.

Don't forget the important of workouts themselves: for a noob I'd just recommend full body workout every other day or something like that focusing on compound exercises: bench press, squats, dead lifts, military press.
    Last edited by koatliki; 05-18-2010 at 07:38 AM.

MrMostly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrMostly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrMostly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrMostly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrMostly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrMostly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrMostly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrMostly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrMostly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrMostly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrMostly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

2 bananas? i'd try to eat these closer to or post workout, i dont really see bananas as a meal substitue, especially after your low cal breakfast..

can of tuna and low fat milk? what is that like 250 cal? need to eat more than that if you're training.

anyway in my opinoin, you should eat a bit more, eat bigger meals in the morning and slowly decrease the size of your meal as the day progresses.. try eating cottage cheese close to bed time i dont think that scoop of whey before bed is necessary at all... consume some sort of simple carb with your protein shake post workout, oats, dextrose? maybe those bananas would be better here?..

eat more berries such as blueberries, blackeberries, etc.

include natural peanut butter here and there

anyway that is my critique.. however it could have been much more specific if you included you height, current BF%, your workout routine, do you do abs frequently? how about the "big 3"? also would have likd to see the total macros for your current diet plan, eg. how much protein, carbs fat, cals.

anyway goodluck man.
    This is just about right. I would lose weight on that diet if that is what you're trying to do.
    Replacing potatoes with sweet potatoes is something I just did lately. They are a lot more nutritious - get yams if you can. They are the best.

Also no veggies - don't rely on a pill for that.

At night I have casein before bed. When I don't I wake up famished.

Originally Posted by koatliki View Post
    Watch the bro-science dude..

Some more bro-science.

And a bit more..

And more...

Cardio is not required during this stage at all, especially on empty stomach.

where did i try to advise himthat what i said was based on science? all i provided him with was my opinion and what has worked for me, nothing more. I only give advice on my own experience so i'm not too sure if i'd be too quick to call someone on broscience who simply addressed their opinion and personal success.. but anyway. no offense taken.

where did i try to advise himthat what i said was based on science? all i provided him with was my opinion and what has worked for me, nothing more. I only give advice on my own experience so i'm not too sure if i'd be too quick to call someone on broscience who simply addressed their opinion and personal success.. but anyway. no offense taken.
    What? If it is not based on science then you shouldn't advise him. I am saying you gave him misguided (bad) tips, because you happen to be a victim of some common traps that a lot of noobs fall into. Don't worry we all been there

Originally Posted by koatliki View Post
    What? If it is not based on science then you shouldn't advise him. I am saying you gave him misguided (bad) tips, because you happen to be a victim of some common traps that a lot of noobs fall into. Don't worry we all been there

alright i'm a noob then..

Don't worry, we have all been there. That's why you're here: to learn more.