Closed Thread
    east17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) east17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) east17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) east17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) east17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) east17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) east17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) east17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) east17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How long does cooked oatmeal keep?

Does anyone make up a big batch of oatmeal for the week? I was thinking about doing this, but wasn't sure how long it keeps. I've been making mine recently with organic jumbo oats and with half water, half skimmed (fat free) milk. I'm guessing the more milk you use, the quicker it needs to be used/eaten? What does everyone else do?

east17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) east17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) east17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) east17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) east17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) east17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) east17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) east17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) east17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by east17 View Post
    Does anyone make up a big batch of oatmeal for the week? I was thinking about doing this, but wasn't sure how long it keeps. I've been making mine recently with organic jumbo oats and with half water, half skimmed (fat free) milk. I'm guessing the more milk you use, the quicker it needs to be used/eaten? What does everyone else do?
    Sorry to have to bump, but anyone?

jrsonico is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrsonico is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrsonico is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrsonico is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrsonico is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrsonico is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrsonico is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrsonico is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrsonico is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrsonico is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrsonico is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    is this another troll?
    why on earth would someone make oatmeal for the whole week? its 2-3mins in microwave.
    saving time? cmon.
    I thought i was bulking up. 65kg - 64.4kg in a week
    Tired of this.

Originally Posted by jrsonico View Post
    is this another troll?
    why on earth would someone make oatmeal for the whole week? its 2-3mins in microwave.
    saving time? cmon.
    Because I want to take it to work with me and we don't have a microwaves/cooker. Didn't think it was 'that' crazy and idea.

KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Mine gets hard after about 20 mins of sitting out. Ever leave some in a bowl? It's hell on the dishwasher, idk if I would be able to eat it if it was out longer than an hour or so.

Registered User yoyoyolilembryo's Avatar
    yoyoyolilembryo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yoyoyolilembryo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yoyoyolilembryo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yoyoyolilembryo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yoyoyolilembryo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yoyoyolilembryo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yoyoyolilembryo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yoyoyolilembryo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yoyoyolilembryo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yoyoyolilembryo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yoyoyolilembryo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    why dont you try it and let us know
    ***Georgia Crew***

jrsonico is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrsonico is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrsonico is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrsonico is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrsonico is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrsonico is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrsonico is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrsonico is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrsonico is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrsonico is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrsonico is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Because I want to take it to work with me and we don't have a microwaves/cooker. Didn't think it was 'that' crazy and idea.
    u dont have a microwave/cooker. how on earth do u cook your oats then?
    then u just soak your jumbo oats with water n milk. more faster.
    1-2mins of your time is a big deal?
    such is a lie.
    Tired of this.

KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    u dont have a microwave/cooker. how on earth do u cook your oats then? such a lie.

I think he is saying he doesn't have a microwave at work.

I think he is saying he doesn't have a microwave at work.[/QUOTE]

i wish i do have in school.
    Tired of this.

Originally Posted by KoHuskie View Post
    [img]
    I think he is saying he doesn't have a microwave at work.
    Thanks KoHuskie, thats exactly what I meant. We don't have a microwave at work so I wanted to cook them up and then take a bowl/tub in each day. I DO have a microwave and cooker at home and I normally cook them properly in a pan for 5-6 mins. I know I can soak them, but I don't think they are as nice that way. Anyway .. clearly I was crazy for asking. I guess i'll cook up a batch as see how well it keeps.

Sendug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sendug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sendug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sendug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sendug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sendug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sendug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sendug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sendug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sendug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sendug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    When you soak them they turn out pretty much like soggy cereal, still just as tasty. I prefer mine hot but if I am in a rush I will soak them in milk with a little splenda and eat it as cereal.

Beerslinger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beerslinger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beerslinger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beerslinger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beerslinger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beerslinger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beerslinger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beerslinger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beerslinger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beerslinger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beerslinger has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Sendug View Post
    When you soak them they turn out pretty much like soggy cereal, still just as tasty. I prefer mine hot but if I am in a rush I will soak them in milk with a little splenda and eat it as cereal.
    I make a batch of Steel Cut oats in my rice cooker and put the whole pot in the fridge with the lid on it. They keep fine, and I've had mine up to 4 days later. Don't know how big a batch you plan on making though. They'll be cold and gluey if you don't have a way to reheat them at work though.

I usually add a splash of cold water, microwave them, and then add a spoonful of Nat. PB and a scoop of On Vanilla Whey. Protien, Complex Carbs, Healthy Fats, What could be better.
    Too tired to get out training? Two words - Floppy Manboobs!

homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100)
    Just use hot water at work, than put a cover over your bowl for like 2-3 minutes

Originally Posted by Beerslinger View Post
    I make a batch of Steel Cut oats in my rice cooker and put the whole pot in the fridge with the lid on it. They keep fine, and I've had mine up to 4 days later. Don't know how big a batch you plan on making though. They'll be cold and gluey if you don't have a way to reheat them at work though.

I usually add a splash of cold water, microwave them, and then add a spoonful of Nat. PB and a scoop of On Vanilla Whey. Protien, Complex Carbs, Healthy Fats, What could be better.
    Hey, sounds good. I quite like my oatmeal cold (once its cooked) so quite happy to just add a bit of milk when I get to work. Wasn't planning on making to big a batch, probably just enough for about 3 days. You mentioned using a rice cooker, so does that mean you just kinda steam them? I still can't get use to making them with just water yet, so tend to make it using half water/half fat free milk. I think I'll make a batch up tonight and see how it goes.

mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbieker1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey, sounds good. I quite like my oatmeal cold (once its cooked) so quite happy to just add a bit of milk when I get to work. Wasn't planning on making to big a batch, probably just enough for about 3 days. You mentioned using a rice cooker, so does that mean you just kinda steam them? I still can't get use to making them with just water yet, so tend to make it using half water/half fat free milk. I think I'll make a batch up tonight and see how it goes.
    It should keep at least 5 or so days that way; I'd risk it at well over a week.
    Cutting. Commenced January 19th, 2015 @ 211 lbs. Goal: 168 lbs.

dale1203 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

You can make Oatmeal ahead of time, but is it your best nutritional option?

Maybe this will help answer the question: search this -- Oatmeal in Jars: How to Make a Week of Breakfast in 5 Minutes Cooking

I didn't spend a lot of time researching this, but other grains such as rice and quinoa lose some of their nutritional value when stored in the fridge. Quinoa, for instance is reported to lose up to 50% of its nutritional value within the first 24 hours. So the above provides evidence that others have indeed considered the question that started this thread and have developed a convenient solution.

Personally, I use gluten free organic old fashioned thick rolled oatmeal and it takes only 5 minutes to cook to the degree I like, so I prefer to make it fresh every morning. I add the following: 1 T organic wheat bran (for fiber to help digest all of the protein I consume), 2T organic unfiltered flaxseed oil, a handful of organic walnuts and 1/2 cup of organic mixed berries to top it off and sweeten it up without adding sweetener. I always accompany this with a side of non fat Greek yogurt, a couple of omega3 organic eggs fried in organic unfiltered coconut oil or add 1/2 scoop of Nectar Natruals whey protein isolate (sweetens it a bit without any sugars and makes it a complete meal with 12g of added protein). I love oatmeal!

stonechiseler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    From Livestrong . . . The University of Virginia Cooperative Extension recommends that all cooked foods be thrown away if they have been sitting out for more than two hours. The "Star Tribune" "Master Oatmeal Recipe" claims that you can store cooked oatmeal from this recipe in an airtight container for up to seven days. The "Star Tribune" recommends that if you are not going to eat the oatmeal right away, store any cooked fruit mixtures separately in the refrigerator in an airtight container until you are ready to add them to the oatmeal. These fruit mixtures will last up to two weeks.

necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by stonechiseler View Post
    From Livestrong . . . The University of Virginia Cooperative Extension recommends that all cooked foods be thrown away if they have been sitting out for more than two hours. The "Star Tribune" "Master Oatmeal Recipe" claims that you can store cooked oatmeal from this recipe in an airtight container for up to seven days. The "Star Tribune" recommends that if you are not going to eat the oatmeal right away, store any cooked fruit mixtures separately in the refrigerator in an airtight container until you are ready to add them to the oatmeal. These fruit mixtures will last up to two weeks.

Delirious Mutant.

sewellman78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I actually have a shortage of time in the AM as well. Not with cooking; but with sitting down and eating 1-2 cups of oatmeal. I don't wake up with that much of an appetite; but I have to pile it down and it takes a while. So i make up a big batch in advance and blend it in the blender with Soy or Almond Milk and frozen fruit. Then I make a separate shake for my protein with eggs whites, soy or almond milk, etc. Yes, I have two shakes made or I could combine them (if my nutribullet was bigger), but I down both of them in my 30-45 min work commute. And no, I'm not about to eat a bowl of oatmeal in my car on the way to work. Making a oatmeal smoothie is just as convenient. I've kept my cooked, organic, plain oats in the fridge for up to a week with no issues.

Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by sewellman78 View Post
    I actually have a shortage of time in the AM as well. Not with cooking; but with sitting down and eating 1-2 cups of oatmeal. I don't wake up with that much of an appetite; but I have to pile it down and it takes a while. So i make up a big batch in advance and blend it in the blender with Soy or Almond Milk and frozen fruit. Then I make a separate shake for my protein with eggs whites, soy or almond milk, etc. Yes, I have two shakes made or I could combine them (if my nutribullet was bigger), but I down both of them in my 30-45 min work commute. And no, I'm not about to eat a bowl of oatmeal in my car on the way to work. Making a oatmeal smoothie is just as convenient. I've kept my cooked, organic, plain oats in the fridge for up to a week with no issues.
    Or you could save yourself a lot of time and energy by skipping breakfast and allocating those calories to lunch and dinner.... just sayin.

I have never in my life had an appetite in the mornings, even if I ate nothing the day before. Therefor, I never eat 'breakfast' or early morning meals I guess. Life is good.

jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000) jonnicola is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I normally eat the cold -/-
    We're all gonna make it.

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    it's probably expired after 5 years
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

Amalyn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Amalyn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Amalyn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Amalyn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Amalyn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Amalyn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Amalyn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Amalyn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Amalyn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Amalyn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Amalyn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    is this another troll?
    saving time? cmon.
    Sheesh.. Steel cut oats do NOT take 2-3 minutes.. in anything..

Amalyn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Amalyn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Amalyn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Amalyn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Amalyn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Amalyn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Amalyn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Amalyn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Amalyn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Amalyn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Amalyn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Beerslinger View Post

Is your rice cooker the fancy one with different settings? Just asking because I don't have that one and I wanted to try it out in my standard rice cooker...

necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Amalyn View Post

Do they take 6 years?
    Delirious Mutant.

HStudio00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HStudio00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HStudio00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HStudio00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HStudio00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HStudio00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HStudio00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HStudio00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HStudio00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HStudio00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HStudio00 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I honestly don't know, because I've never done that with oatmeal. I would assume it would keep just like pasta (it's the same theory cooking-wise). Although IMO, it would probably be mushy and gummy and totally disgusting after a day or two.

One thing you might try instead is overnight oats, which is basically putting uncooked oats in a mason jar with some yogurt, milk, and usually protein isolate (if you want, it makes it be an "all in one" breakfast), then shaking it up really well and leaving it in the fridge overnight. Then in the morning just shake it up again and open and eat it, adding fruit or whatever toppings you want, if you want any. I do this when I know I'm going to be rushed for breakfast in the morning. It's super easy and really good, and takes only 2 or 3 minutes the night before.
    To live is Christ, to die is gainz

Sarcastic commentary on life/etc: https://twitter.com/samueljhand
    YouTube: Samuel Hand

MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Amalyn View Post
    Sheesh, when in the last 6 years did the OP say he was cooking steel cut oats, or the post you quoted ever refer to steel cut oats ?
    "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”

― Mark Twain

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Make overnight oats, nice and thick, no need to microwave.
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

PsyLadX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PsyLadX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PsyLadX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PsyLadX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PsyLadX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PsyLadX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PsyLadX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PsyLadX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PsyLadX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PsyLadX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PsyLadX has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by gbullock32 View Post
    Make overnight oats, nice and thick, no need to microwave.
    Right on. Keep it refrigerated though.
    Desire > Willingness > Strategy > Execution > Consistency > Perseverance > Reflection > Improvement = Continued Success