A1roller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) A1roller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) A1roller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) A1roller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) A1roller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) A1roller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) A1roller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) A1roller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) A1roller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) A1roller is a jewel in the rough. (+500) A1roller is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

What does starting strength do other than build strength?

I'm talking in terms of the mass you put on. Does this routine allow a beginner to put on a lot of mass? And if so, would the mass be lean, or would there be a lot of fat too?

This seems like the routine which is recommended to all of the beginners so I am assuming it's generally the best out there?

stevey_frac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by A1roller View Post
    I'm talking in terms of the mass you put on. Does this routine allow a beginner to put on a lot of mass? And if so, would the mass be lean, or would there be a lot of fat too?

This seems like the routine which is recommended to all of the beginners so I am assuming it's generally the best out there?

It's good because it's simple, and it's good because it's effective.

As for how much mass you will put on, and how lean it will be that's going to vary a lot from person to person, your diet and your lifestyle.

It would probably be most effective if you do it in a bulking cycle, where you intentially eat more calories then you need. This will allow you to put on muscle the fastest.

After you start stalling out on starting strength, and you need a break anyways, throw in a cutting cycle to loose any excess fat, and get to where you want to be bodyfat wise.

kilua. is on a distinguished road. (+10) kilua. is on a distinguished road. (+10) kilua. is on a distinguished road. (+10) kilua. is on a distinguished road. (+10) kilua. is on a distinguished road. (+10) kilua. is on a distinguished road. (+10) kilua. is on a distinguished road. (+10) kilua. is on a distinguished road. (+10) kilua. is on a distinguished road. (+10) kilua. is on a distinguished road. (+10) kilua. is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by A1roller View Post

My general thinking is that although SS is primarily a strength building program, you are also bound to see decent gains in size. Size is a function of strength (although they aren't perfectly related). The stronger you get, the more muscle recruitment is required, either through neural adaptation or additional muscle mass.

In beginners, the body is relatively untrained and is more susceptible to adaptation to training. This is why 'noob gains' are so great in beginners and it is important to make the most of strength gains at this time. This is why SS or other beginning strength programs are recommended at first. After achieving a decent strength base, a more hypertrophy specific program would be appropriate to maximize size.

As for whether or not the mass would be lean, that is entirely a function of diet. It depends on how clean you eat, and how high above maintenance you eat. The cleaner you eat, the less fat you will gain. However, some fat gain is to be expected in order to maximize muscular growth.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard."

Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000)
    you can gain some size on it, but there are much better programs if your goal is gaining mass

Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Urgh.
    To guys starting out - please understand: when you can deadlift 450lb for 10 reps your back, hamstrings & traps will reflect THAT not which program you used to get there. When you can curl 150 for 10, your biceps will reflect THAT, not which program, rep range or method you used to get there. There is no voodoo independent of poundage progression, just faster and slower ways of getting to your next pit stop.

BigAppetite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigAppetite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigAppetite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigAppetite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigAppetite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigAppetite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigAppetite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigAppetite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigAppetite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigAppetite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigAppetite has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I gained 25 pounds over the course of 2 months doing SS, without stuffing my face insanely. With proper diet you can definetly gain a lot of overall mass to your body. It's also important for a novice to build solid foundation of strenght before going on the typical hypertrophy programmes. They usually apply splits with higher volume, and if your gonna move serious weight for so many sets and short rests, you want to be strong.

Got a long way to go myself but it's a fantastic routine Long as you get your sleep too, that is.
    A disciple of the barbell MUST deadlift

lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lightweight180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I did SS for a few months and noticed my squat and lower back strength shoot up while my bench lacked behind. Size came but my diet made sure of this,

I suggest you do westside for skinny bastards designed for young athletes who have trouble gaining size, it works on strength and speed which will bulk you up nicely and you will get some gains in str more so then traditional hypertrophy programs, I also enjoy the different rep schemes it gives you and the variety of exercises you can choose to meet goals.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Many many trainees have put on lots and lots of muscle on SS. If you gain fat it is your diets fault not the programs.

Pick up the book, read it.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Opies View Post
    you can gain some size on it, but there are much better programs if your goal is gaining mass
    Not for a beginner there isn't. People always forget that experience levels matter when assessing the effectiveness of a training routine. If you try to bypass the beginner phase, progress will stop. STARTING STRENGTH TEACHES BEGINNERS HOW TO LIFT ( and probably eat too ).
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Here is an article you really need to read OP.

http://startingstrength.com/articles...t_rippetoe.pdf
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    Not for a beginner there isn't. People always forget that experience levels matter when assessing the effectiveness of a training routine. If you try to bypass the beginner phase, progress will stop. STARTING STRENGTH TEACHES BEGINNERS HOW TO LIFT ( and probably eat too ).
    right. because beginners can't learn how to lift with a different routine.... /sarcasm

RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I've noticed SS seems to also be good for starting a good ole internet flame war. Which I think was the real objective of this thread.

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Opies View Post
    right. because beginners can't learn how to lift with a different routine.... /sarcasm
    They can, but that "learn to lift" routine will just be a variation on a theme. Starting strength is one commonly suggested routine. That is all. I see AllPro's beginner's routine suggested a lot too. I like EDT for beginners who need to start with a recomp.

Let's not be ignorant and run our mouths for no reason.

Originally Posted by RockCrab View Post
    I've noticed SS seems to also be good for starting a good ole internet flame war. Which I think was the real objective of this thread.
    Perhaps. Getting mad about starting strength being a common suggestion is a little like people getting mad because they want Italian food and you suggest spaghetti instead of lasagna.
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius