luke1882 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) luke1882 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking what do people think of kettlebells?

i was just wondering what are other peoples views on using kettlebells/kettlebell workouts/circuits etc?

i was talking to the owner of my gym the other day and he said that they are good but what a kettlebell can do so can a dumbbell..

thats fair enough but you haven't got the movement fluintness of what a kettlebell would bring..

any other thoughts?

something to chat about on a thursday!

supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10) supmuhhumbruh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by luke1882 View Post
    i was just wondering what are other peoples views on using kettlebells/kettlebell workouts/circuits etc?

i was talking to the owner of my gym the other day and he said that they are good but what a kettlebell can do so can a dumbbell..

thats fair enough but you haven't got the movement fluintness of what a kettlebell would bring..

any other thoughts?

Kettlebells are the best piece of equipment I have ever used, and your manager couldn't be more wrong about substituting dumbells for kettlebells, but that's another topic on it's own that I won't get into right now. Since I started training with kettlebells, that's pretty much all I do now, and I am stronger, leaner, and more athletic than ever before. I got my cert about 7 months ago and I have been a personal trainer for over two years and since I started incorporating kettlebells into my clients routines their results have been incredible and have come so much quicker. I can't recommend kettlebell training enough. Please visit my website at http://www.ablebodiedkettlebells.com for free tutorials and workouts, and I hope your gym owner changes his mind and invests in some kettlebells, it would be a very wise decision!
    Pat Flynn - RKC
    http://www.abs-science.com
    http://www.chroniclesofstrength.com

KernKraft Muskeln Dire.Straits.'s Avatar
    Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The Russians use kettlebells widely in a lot of their programs, be it olympic athletes, high school phys ed, or even the military.
    They have a lot to say on this, so your best bet of finding out more is searching for some books or internet material on their training regimes.
    Only one body.
    BUILD IT!

Targets:

9% BodyFat [ ]
    175lbs [x]
    185lbs [x]
    200lbs [ ]

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    any other thoughts?
    They're another tool, and like all other tools they have a place but can also be used incorrectly. For me most of my training focuses around barbells, but then again I'm a powerlifter.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    They are an Iron ball with a handle, not the holy grail or the magic pumpkin. They work as well as you know how to use them, same as every other tool in the gym.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

GFWoodchuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GFWoodchuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GFWoodchuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GFWoodchuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GFWoodchuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GFWoodchuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GFWoodchuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GFWoodchuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GFWoodchuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GFWoodchuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GFWoodchuck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The one gym I used to go to had the kettles. I picked one up and said never mind, I'll use a dumbell. I suppose they're fine, but they are so big for their weight making them needlessly bulky and unwieldy.

Just my 2 cents I suppose.

vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    They have their place. We used them for shoulder presses, swing throughs, incline presses, upright rows and kb cleans. They don't replace the DB or BB, but they are another tool to use to get stronger.
    Last edited by vicjg; 05-13-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: grammar police

TheNung is not very helpful. (-500) TheNung is not very helpful. (-500) TheNung is not very helpful. (-500) TheNung is not very helpful. (-500) TheNung is not very helpful. (-500) TheNung is not very helpful. (-500) TheNung is not very helpful. (-500) TheNung is not very helpful. (-500) TheNung is not very helpful. (-500) TheNung is not very helpful. (-500) TheNung is not very helpful. (-500)
    Pavel Tsatsouline.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    They have their place, like any other gym equipment. You won't usually see bodybuilders using kettlebells; there are many other, better-suited tools for bodybuilding.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    They are an Iron ball with a handle, not the holy grail or the magic pumpkin. They work as well as you know how to use them, same as every other tool in the gym.
    I think that is supposed to be "Great Pumpkin" assuming you are referencing Charlie Brown. Man, all the great workout advice you give and I have to neg you for an incorrect pop culture reference? The world is so fickle.

Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    They're another tool, and like all other tools they have a place but can also be used incorrectly. For me most of my training focuses around barbells, but then again I'm a powerlifter.
    This. And screw you, Ox for making this like the third or fourth post I've agreed with without exception.

Originally Posted by vicjg View Post
    They have their place. We used them for shoulder presses, swing throughs, incline presses, upright rows and kb cleans. They don't replace the DB or BB, but they are another tool to use to get stronger.
    VIC! OMG

Please tell me you are back.
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    wrong pop culture reference:

[]---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

genlad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I love them. I've never had the confidence to go to the gym and lift dumbells.

any other thoughts?

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The same as I thought about them three years ago when luke first posted this question, lol.

They are great in the same way that fixed dumbbells are great.

They have more awkward for some movements, and more likely to injure your wrists if you are not careful.

The reason they are so popular with the Russian military is they never wear out, the recruits can't break them, and they are too awkward to steal. They are probably still using ones from before the October Revolution of 1917. And they are a great way of putting a squad through a lot of snatches, cleans, presses, goblet squats in a hurry. Great for conditioning.

They are inferior to cheap spinlock dumbbells because unless you get an awkward loadable kettlebell handle(usually vastly overpriced, I made one myself with a ring and a tractor tow hitch for cheap), you can't load them probressively. Unless you can afford dozens of them from say 4 to 60 kilos, in which case they would be comparable to dumbbells.

I'd prefer to spend the money on a set of Olympic bumpers, and have a ton of change to buy other stuff like stubby thick bars, safety squat bar, etc.

Usually overpriced and over hyped.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).