Aelius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aelius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Squats without a squat rack

I work out from home, and I've been doing squats for a few weeks and it had been going quite stellar with substantial increases in weight - I've gotten up to 135lbs now. Unfortunately, at this weight I'm unable to bring the barbell up to my back.

See, up until now I've managed to get the bar up to my back by (from the floor) deadlifting it up to my thighs, then raising it to my clavicles in the same manner as if performing an upright row, and finally raising it above my head as in a military press and gently resting it on my trapeziuses/scapulae (I apologize for the convoluted breakdown of the mechanics, I'm sure there's a term for my methodology...)

But it has gotten to around the point where it's straining my shoulders too much to get that weight above my head, not to mention the risk of dropping the barbell onto my vertebrae too hard.

So, any suggestions for perhaps a new approach to getting around the physics of this without a squat rack? Thanks.
    Last edited by Aelius; 05-12-2010 at 04:37 AM.

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Higher the posts on your bench press, set bar on that at below shoulder height. Thats what i do..
    Last edited by Ironlife; 05-12-2010 at 05:29 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

omgooses has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omgooses has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omgooses has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omgooses has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omgooses has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omgooses has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omgooses has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omgooses has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omgooses has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omgooses has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omgooses has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Aelius View Post
    I've been doing squats for a few weeks and it had been going quite stellar with substantial increases in weight - I've gotten up to 135lbs now. Unfortunately, at this weight I'm unable to bring the barbell up to my back.

See, up until now I've managed to get the bar up to my back by (from the floor) deadlifting it up to my thighs, then raising it to my clavicles in the same manner as if performing an upright row, and finally raising it above my head as in a military press and gently resting it on my trapeziuses/scapulae (I apologize for the convoluted breakdown of the mechanics, I'm sure there's a term for my methodology...)

But it has gotten to around the point where it's straining my shoulders too much to get that weight above my head, not to mention the risk of dropping the barbell onto my vertebrae too hard.

So, any suggestions for perhaps a new approach to getting around the physics of this without a squat rack? Thanks.
    Front squats?

exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBFrontSquat.html

Aelius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aelius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Ironlife View Post
    Higer the posts on your bench press, set bar on that at below shoulder height. Thats what i do..
    Hmm, yeah I might be able to do that. I'd have to find something 15-20 inches high to put the bench on.

Originally Posted by omgooses View Post
    Front squats?

exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBFrontSquat.html
    I tried though, unfortunately I can't keep my balance; I would just fall on my face :P

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz

I tried though, unfortunately I can't keep my balance; I would just fall on my face :P
    So practice with a lighter weight until you get it right.

Learn to power clean and use the racking position to hold the bar on your delts.

This is what I would do if I didn't have a rack. My cleans suck but I can clean enough weight to do low rep sets in front squat.

happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happymatei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i remember kai was doing some squats where he took the bar and put it through his legs and he was squating like that, dont know the name, but it is an ideea

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Slow down your squats. So okay, now you can do say 135lbs x10. Well, do the same but slow. Count as you go down and up, speaking at a normal pace, "down - one and two and three and four and five, UP one and two and three and four and five." I promise you'll find the same weight MUCH harder with a slow rep.

Put the bar on a couple of sawhorses and squat from the bottom up.

Improve your shoulder flexibility or lack of midsection strength or whatever it is stopping you doing front squats, and do them.

Perhaps the midsection strength would be addressed by overhead squats.

Someone will suggest Steinborn lifts. I'd never recommend these to any client of mine as they are more than somewhat risky for your back, but you are just some random bloke online so have fun

Last edited by KyleAaron; 05-12-2010 at 04:49 AM.

Hmm, I just tried front squats again and I could do them properly with the same weight I use for back squats. The last time I tried them was when I first started working out when I was pathetically weak everywhere, haha, but yeah no imbalance problems any more evidently.

Much appreciated, folks.

Gouber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Zurcher Squats are another alternative. They were designed for this particular situation.

Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm in the same situation and personally I like hack squats quite a bit.
    Dogs are forever in the push-up position - Mitch Hedberg

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by happymatei View Post
    i remember kai was doing some squats where he took the bar and put it through his legs and he was squating like that, dont know the name, but it is an ideea
    Jefferson Squats
    David

Daio will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daio will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daio will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daio will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daio will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daio will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daio will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daio will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daio will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daio will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daio will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Joelift View Post
    I'm in the same situation and personally I like hack squats quite a bit.

they are the ones when u hold the bar behind your legs arent they? I do those myself, as I train alone in the garage......also they are safer incase your legs giveway on you on the final Rep
    :)

psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychowolverine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    at home I just load the hell out of some DBs and do what I can...

I have an extra rack for the BB, I just hate setting all that crap up
    BRB, going hunting...

kenonator is a name known to all. (+5000) kenonator is a name known to all. (+5000) kenonator is a name known to all. (+5000) kenonator is a name known to all. (+5000) kenonator is a name known to all. (+5000) kenonator is a name known to all. (+5000) kenonator is a name known to all. (+5000) kenonator is a name known to all. (+5000) kenonator is a name known to all. (+5000) kenonator is a name known to all. (+5000) kenonator is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hmm, I just tried front squats again and I could do them properly with the same weight I use for back squats. The last time I tried them was when I first started working out when I was pathetically weak everywhere, haha, but yeah no imbalance problems any more evidently.

Much appreciated, folks.
    you wont be able to do the same weight, its a different exercise. If i don't have a squat rack I just power clean the weight up and do front squats with less weight.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    If you're serious about building a pair of quads, stop screwing around, and start looking on craigslist for a used power rack and Olympic bar. Skirting around the issue of training heavy and safe will get you nowhere except possibly injured.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

bulking on lechon and PB shoot2turtle's Avatar
    shoot2turtle is just really nice. (+1000) shoot2turtle is just really nice. (+1000) shoot2turtle is just really nice. (+1000) shoot2turtle is just really nice. (+1000) shoot2turtle is just really nice. (+1000) shoot2turtle is just really nice. (+1000) shoot2turtle is just really nice. (+1000) shoot2turtle is just really nice. (+1000) shoot2turtle is just really nice. (+1000) shoot2turtle is just really nice. (+1000) shoot2turtle is just really nice. (+1000)
    put it on the top peg of the bench. sit down on the edge of the bench, duck under bar. stand.

CellTherapy is on a distinguished road. (+10) CellTherapy is on a distinguished road. (+10) CellTherapy is on a distinguished road. (+10) CellTherapy is on a distinguished road. (+10) CellTherapy is on a distinguished road. (+10) CellTherapy is on a distinguished road. (+10) CellTherapy is on a distinguished road. (+10) CellTherapy is on a distinguished road. (+10) CellTherapy is on a distinguished road. (+10) CellTherapy is on a distinguished road. (+10) CellTherapy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    dumbel squats

xstaytruex is just really nice. (+1000) xstaytruex is just really nice. (+1000) xstaytruex is just really nice. (+1000) xstaytruex is just really nice. (+1000) xstaytruex is just really nice. (+1000) xstaytruex is just really nice. (+1000) xstaytruex is just really nice. (+1000) xstaytruex is just really nice. (+1000) xstaytruex is just really nice. (+1000) xstaytruex is just really nice. (+1000) xstaytruex is just really nice. (+1000)
    Theres always the curl rack. oh, wait

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Front squats.

Free weight Hack Squats

(try both of the above standing on a weight plate)

even regular deadlifts (try different stances)
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have the same problem, so I'll have to buy a squat rack soon. I tried front squats but can't seem to get the bar off the bench onto my shoulders. It hurts too much. Bad form probably.
    "Get up, and don't ever give up".

Camron001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I work out from home, and I've been doing squats for a few weeks and it had been going quite stellar with substantial increases in weight - I've gotten up to 135lbs now. Unfortunately, at this weight I'm unable to bring the barbell up to my back.

I think that you were doing some dangerous thing all these years, doing squats without a rack is very dangerous thing, it can even cost your life. I think that you were really lucky all these time, but time will not be the same every day. It’s high time that you get a squat rack for yourself and make your workout session much smoother. It is quite affordable too.

Samlaza29 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Samlaza29 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by happymatei View Post
    Barbell hack squat