ryllz75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryllz75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryllz75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryllz75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryllz75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryllz75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My story on the Powerblock Sport 9.0 Stage II with Stand

Hey All,

I've been working out using the older Powerblocks Pro 5-45lbs set and recently upgraded to the newer Sportblock 9.0 Stage II kit 90lbs.

I went to a few fitness stores and had gotten a chance to try out the New U-90. I love the aesthetic look of the U-90 but couldn't get over the plastic pins holding the plates. Instead of the traditional Metal ones there are 2 plastic pieces on each end that holds the plates in place. They look durable but just the thought of anything plastic holding up plates above my head when working out scared me a little.. lol

After talking to the owner of the last store I visited he saw how torn I was between the U-90 Stage II and the Sportblock 9.0 Stage II. Price wasn't that heavy of a consideration as I came prepared to buy it either way. By his account they have not sold much of the U-90 sets and that the more popular sets were the Sportsblock. Now he was a straight up guy since he has owned this store since 1992 and started to carry the Powerblocks line in 1993 so i trusted him in what he said. He even had all the old posters of the first powerblock model still hanging on the wall!!

Then came the deal... he offered me 10% off the U90 if I bought the stand along with it. It would've only been $638 + $129 for the stand $767 - 10% = $690 plus taxes which is a great deal.. BUT then he said that if I take one of the Sportblock 9.0 with Stage II kit and a the large Stand he would give me the whole deal for $579 altogether out the door with TAX! Thats almost 25% difference from the U90 price so it was a DONE Deal.. told him to write it up and now im the new proud owner of the Sportblock 9.0 Stage II kit with a Stand!! With taxes the price difference would've been about $200 from the U90. I couldn't be happier.. been working out on it since last weekend and i'm loving this more than my old pro's and more than the U-90 since i got a really great deal on it Brand New! its the same max weight of 90lbs but yet almost $200 cheaper!

To add to this.. i ended up selling my old Powerblock Pro's for $240 on craigslist with the stand along with a couple of hex dumbells for another $50 in less than a day. So I made $290..deduct it from the $579 I spent on the New Sports 9.0 and it costs me around $289 altogether for a new set!! Not a bad deal at all...!

I actually like the gray finish better on it as well as its different from the traditional black plates that I was used to. Durable paint on it and doesn't chip very easy. I also like the shinier color to the 9.0 set. I also like how it easily slides in and out of the rest of the plates. My old Pro's were pretty tight so you really had to put it back just the right way.. with these Sport 9.0 it goes back to the rest of the plates smoothly, i think the shiny finish definitely helps a bit. I also like the bigger opening in the handles since i have fairly large hands. There are some very light noise when doing curls but very light. You wouldnt hear it anyways if you have music on while working out. additionally, unlike others I DO like the sound of the metal when working out. I find them perfectly balanced as well specially when I do any type of press motions. They feel VERY solid!

The stand looks and works great too.. the only little complaint I have is it does have a little bit of shake albeit very little. I guess this happens with 180lbs of dumbbells on top and the base is hard plastic. It is unlike my older pro base where it is metal and sturdy. Thats about the only thing that is plastic on the stand outside of the circular rings that holds the adder weights. At first I was concerned but as long as you dont thow the weight back in the stand and exercise control in the handling of the dumbbells you should be fine.

I have included pictures in my review via my link below. I wish I could post it here but i have less than 30 postings since im more of a lurker. I think I need to really participate more in these forums so that I can actually make this transformation happen. I also just got the P90x and Insanity programs to go along with my weights. Now just gotta control the eating habits and make a go of this... for years ive been dreaming of transformation.. i've just invested a crap load of money now so this time I have to MAKE it happen!!

Feel free to check the photos out in my link below.. you may need to add the www at the beginning..

flickr.com/photos/daryl_chicago/

You'll also notice that i have a Bowflex 5.1 Selecttech Bench and while I do love it, it takes up considerable space in my condo. I am thinking of buying the Ironmaster Superbench due to its versatility in adding attachments and small footprint. Any deals on those?? Let me know...

thanks,

DC
    Goals: 195lbs by April 1, 2011

WINNERS MINDSET:
    - Winners set their goals, commit themselves and DO IT.
    - Winners make commitments.
    - Winners act.
    - Winners control circumstances.
    - Winners are motivated by successful end results.
    - Winners do what they fear.
    - Winners look at why something can and will work.

yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Uhm I think I saw this post before in the review thread or is it Deja Vu?

swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks for the review OP - I was looking on their web page yesterday and wondering which version is best.
    STAND TALL AND SHAKE THE HEAVENS!!

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own." - 1 Corinthians 6:19

▪█─-─█▪ Equipment Crew #71 ▪█─-─█▪
    []---[] York Barbell Club #32 []---[]
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #66 []---[]
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #6 ||---||

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Maybe its just me, but I like the classic versions better than the new "Sport" styles. The rounded gray plates do look nice, but I dont like the handles compared to the classics.

Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by urbanlifter View Post
    Maybe its just me, but I like the classic versions better than the new "Sport" styles. The rounded gray plates do look nice, but I dont like the handles compared to the classics.
    Really? I love the Sport handles, I have the classic ones too and I really like the sports better, one of those personal preference things I guess!