vocaro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vocaro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vocaro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vocaro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vocaro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vocaro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Any reason to do both Dumbbell Bicep Curls and Concentration Curls?

I'm following a workout plan from a book, and it has me doing both Dumbbell Bicep Curls and Concentration Curls on my arm day. But I don't understand the point of this. Assuming proper form on the Bicep Curls (not cheating by moving the elbows), the exercises appear to be exactly the same. Even though the form is different (e.g., one you stand, the other you sit), the arm is in the same orientation and moves through the same path.

Are these exercises as identical as they seem, or do they somehow work different parts of the bicep?

AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by vocaro View Post
    I'm following a workout plan from a book, and it has me doing both Dumbbell Bicep Curls and Concentration Curls on my arm day. But I don't understand the point of this. Assuming proper form on the Bicep Curls (not cheating by moving the elbows), the exercises appear to be exactly the same. Even though the form is different (e.g., one you stand, the other you sit), the arm is in the same orientation and moves through the same path.

Are these exercises as identical as they seem, or do they somehow work different parts of the bicep?
    Rep range and time under tension are key here IMO. I've always kept db bicep curls relatively low in reps, using them more as a power exercise than anything else. Concentration curls are best if you go lighter, use it as a pump exercise, and really focus on the contraction - keeping time under tension high. Realistically, if the hand position is the same, then the contraction will be relatively the same.

My view of it all. I don't believe the angle of your arm will make much difference to how the bicep contracts.

wildbill20056 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wildbill20056 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wildbill20056 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wildbill20056 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wildbill20056 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wildbill20056 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wildbill20056 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wildbill20056 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wildbill20056 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wildbill20056 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wildbill20056 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Depends, hammer curls and concentration curls work slightly differently.

(I assume your standing curls are hammer curls)

The hammers target both heads ofthe biceps whereas the conc curls are more focussed on the long head.

This is a very simplified view, but yes there can be good reasons to vary your isolation movements on the biceps and triceps for example.

Will

vocaro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vocaro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vocaro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vocaro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vocaro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vocaro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by AnimalNation View Post
    keeping time under tension high
    Now that you mention it, I do have a tendency to perform the Concentration Curls more slowly than the Bicep Curls. So maybe that's the key difference: Bicep Curls = fast and powerful, Concentration Curls = slow and controlled.

On the other hand, I've often read that the positive motion on any exercise should always be done as fast as possible (without sacrificing form of course), so now Concentration Curls seem even more pointless to me...

Originally Posted by wildbill20056 View Post
    (I assume your standing curls are hammer curls)
    Nope, the standard Dumbbell Bicep Curls. I was careful to use the same term found in the exercise database on the SuperSite.

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you are performing concentration curls standing (arnold style), then the greatest resistance is at the top portion of the movement. So the resistance curve is a bit diff. than with a standard db curl. These are good for bringing out peaks.
    Who was this love of yours?

J_hulk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_hulk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_hulk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_hulk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_hulk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_hulk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_hulk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_hulk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_hulk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_hulk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J_hulk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    k this is the difference.

dumbell curls-works shoulder(anterior deltoid), bicep(brachialis, biceps brachii), and top part of forearm(brachioradialis)

concentration curls-works bicep only(bicep brachii,brachialis)