Blakeab84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Am I doing everything right? I don't want to waste time.

Hi,
    My name is Blake, I'm 26 years old and pretty new to working out. I've purchased a weight bench about 4 1/2 weeks ago and since then been doing curls and bench press.
    1 1/2 weeks ago I really started to kick it into high gear with some new found advice from a few friends. Since then I've been doing the following:

50 lbs.
    15x Wide Bench Press (Arms out wide)
    15x Mid Bench Press (Arms in the middle)
    15x Together Bench Press (Hands touching on the bar)

20 lbs.
    15x Right Arm Curl
    15x Left Arm Curl
    15x Bar Curl (30 lbs. on the bar to finish the curl workout)

15x Wide Push Ups (Arms out wide)
    15x Mid Push Ups (Arms in the middle)
    15x Diamond Push Ups

15x Wide Sit Ups (Legs out wide)
    15x Mid Sit Ups (Legs in the middle)
    15x Together Sit Ups (Legs together)

20 lbs.
    15x Right Arm Pull Backs (Stand with a slight slant of the knees and pull back as far as I can)
    15x Left Arm Pull Backs

5x Square Jumps (Jump in 4 corners 5 complete times)

After each workout, which I do once a day, I take a Protien powder (2 scoops) that I purchased from wal-mart. (Calling body fortress)

I've had a little bit of advice from my step dad, which used to body build, but not enough advice to really steer me into the right direction. I've noticed a decent increase in mass in my arms and chest since I started working out, but my belly still has that beer gut look. I'm not expecting this working out to be a miracle and it happen all over night, but I feel that there might be something else I can do to really speed things up.

My goal here is to lose my beer gut (obtained from lots of late night snacks and many bud lights), and gain muscle and eventually having a bulky built chest and arms. I've cut out all cokes and only drink water. I still eat pizza and stuff like that, but a lot less than I used to, which was a lot. lol

I'm 26, 5'9 and 230 lbs. - I've gained 5 lbs. since I started working out.

I hate to keep doing this and be wasting my time. I've finally built the motivation to work out and the little muscle gain has only helped with confidence, but if I'm going to do this, I want to do it the right way and get the best results.

Can someone a bit experienced please give me some advice on if I'm working out right, what I need to be taking as far as powders, and what I could do else or better to further my results?
    Thanks for reading.

Bobdole11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdole11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdole11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdole11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdole11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdole11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdole11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdole11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdole11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdole11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bobdole11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My advice is that you probably want to cut first. I imagine you 20%+ body fat as your 5'9", 230lbs, and a beginner. Visit the losing fat forum and read up to lose that beer gut.

The second piece - forget that workout. It's true that a beginner can basically do anything and grow muscle ("noob gains"), but it would be more efficient to start a structured beginner program such as allpros or starting strength(not so good for doing while on a cut). There are others. Read up. Maybe its the way you posted it, but I can't even tell what you're trying to do with that workout.

Whey Protein shakes should be taken post workout. Do your best to limit yourself to 1 shake a day and get the rest of protein from real food with the goal of 1-1.5g of protein per lean pound of body weight.

Secondary to everything else is supplements. Take a multivitamin and creatine. Ignore everything else.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    At 230lbs @ 5'9'', you will continue to have a belly until you lose some weight... like about 60lbs (srs)

Control calories - reduce them until you are losing 1-2lbs a week

Eat adequate protein (for you probably about 170g a day minimum - from all food and shakes)

Do a simple full body weight training routine like this one:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

Thanks for the replies and thanks for finally getting me on the right track. My goal with the workout I was doing was to build muscle and at the same time losing fat.
    I did the push ups for my arms and chest, sit ups for my belly, curls and bench for my arms. I was putting more focus towards my arms and chest and keeping it light on losing the belly fat.
    I'm not a pro with working out, so I just did what I thought would help. For the last week and a half or so I've been feeling like I'm starving myself, even though I'm only 'back' to eating like a normal person. The not having cokes and all is killing me, but I've been drinking so much water that it's become like second nature to grab a water bottle instead of our stocked fridge of mello yellows and coke products.

In all honesty, reading your replies has put a major hault in my confidence. I know my weight is an issue, but I know it's going to be a long haul and I'm scared of not seeing the results I want. I damn sure hope this workout you recommended works for me. I've tried many work outs as far as cardio and all go and I couldn't stick with it. The results just doesn't come quick enough and I lose interest and confidence.

Is this what I should buy?: GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified Creatine XXX - Fruit Punch
    Which multivitamin should I purchase?

Thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Any workout will 'work' - but ONLY if you follow the guidelines regarding calorie control and adequate protein.

If appetite control is an issue, look at the leangains link in my signature.

musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Blakeab84 View Post
    Thanks for the replies and thanks for finally getting me on the right track. My goal with the workout I was doing was to build muscle and at the same time losing fat.
    I did the push ups for my arms and chest, sit ups for my belly, curls and bench for my arms. I was putting more focus towards my arms and chest and keeping it light on losing the belly fat.
    If you mean you were trying to lose fat in those particular areas, you were wasting your time. You can't spot reduce fat. It is an overall process from reducing your calories in your diet to just below your maintenance.
    You should go here and find your maintenance and what your macros should be: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981
    In fact, read as many stickies in the nutrition section as possible so you can understand how this works. You will find out answers to most your questions like: all multivitamins are the same. There are peer reviewed studies that show no difference in bonding or dissolving in the expensive time released ones compared to the cheap ones. However, if you are eating a sufficient amount of quality wholefoods, you don't even need a multi.

Oh, for what's its worth: I'm on the routine suggested above and I started to see results pretty fast. I'm many cycles in now, and I couldn't be happier with the results. Give it a cycle or two (5-10 weeks) and I'll think you'll be happy too. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice once again. I'll start on this diet and workout and see how things go. Ya know, I definitely don't want to lose 60 lbs. like SuffolkPunk recommended. If I lose that much, I'll lose the whole bulkyness that I already have a love. My upper part of my body I like, but would like to just get my muscles built to more showcase them, which is what I was trying. However, my belly is a problem. I've always wanted the bulk look up at top and smaller at the mid.

But anyhow, thank you. I'll update you all with results.

MadPumpYo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MadPumpYo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MadPumpYo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MadPumpYo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MadPumpYo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MadPumpYo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MadPumpYo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MadPumpYo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MadPumpYo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MadPumpYo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MadPumpYo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you'd be better off working out your whole body instead of just parts of it. your leaving out some big muscle groups.

FromTheStretch will become famous soon enough. (+50) FromTheStretch will become famous soon enough. (+50) FromTheStretch will become famous soon enough. (+50) FromTheStretch will become famous soon enough. (+50) FromTheStretch will become famous soon enough. (+50) FromTheStretch will become famous soon enough. (+50) FromTheStretch will become famous soon enough. (+50) FromTheStretch will become famous soon enough. (+50) FromTheStretch will become famous soon enough. (+50) FromTheStretch will become famous soon enough. (+50) FromTheStretch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by MadPumpYo View Post
    you'd be better off working out your whole body instead of just parts of it. your leaving out some big muscle groups.
    Exactly, your goal right now is to burn up as many calories as possible and you won't do it just swinging your arms around. Deadlifts, squats, pull-ups and other big body motions are what's really gonna shed the fat easier so DEFINITELY include these. Also, explosive motions like box jumps, clap push-ups, squat jumps and stuff that require you to use concentrated energy from quick twitch muscle fibers are now your friend. These exercises burn a ton of calories. Don't forget, a calorie deficient diet is the only thing that will make you lose fat. Exercises are all just exercises unless you have a good, lean diet. Good Luck!!
    Last edited by FromTheStretch; 10-05-2011 at 01:15 PM.