JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Got called out for poor form by newbies

I overheard two skinny newbies (age 20 or so 130 lbs max) critique my form on barbell curls at the gym. My form is clean until the last few reps and then I do use a little "english" to get the max out of my set. I never let my form get too dirty but on heavy days the last few do lack perfect form. I chuckled to myself and then realized......they do have a point. I didn't bother explaining the big picture to them etc.....I just stayed quiet. I did focus on tighter form the rest of my workout though. It just goes to show you can get good feed back and advice from beginners as well as old pros.
    The first rule to winning the game is to stay in it......

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JTraining View Post
    I overheard two skinny newbies (age 20 or so 130 lbs max) critique my form on barbell curls at the gym. My form is clean until the last few reps and then I do use a little "english" to get the max out of my set. I never let my form get too dirty but on heavy days the last few do lack perfect form. I chuckled to myself and then realized......they do have a point. I didn't bother explaining the big picture to them etc.....I just stayed quiet. I did focus on tighter form the rest of my workout though. It just goes to show you can get good feed back and advice from beginners as well as old pros.
    IMO, cheating on DB or BB curls is one of the few, perfectly acceptable exercises to cheat on. As long as you're experienced in lifting and in control of the cheat, it's a great way (again, imo) to make gains.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well, when you're dealing with young guys at the gym, curls are their specialty.

When you're doing something obscure and unknown like deadlifts they won't nitpick, they'll just be confused. "Is that upper or lower bicep those work?"

boxin/grapplin/lifting=<3 RunnerandLifter's Avatar
    RunnerandLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) RunnerandLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) RunnerandLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) RunnerandLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) RunnerandLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) RunnerandLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) RunnerandLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) RunnerandLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) RunnerandLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) RunnerandLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) RunnerandLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    Well, when you're dealing with young guys at the gym, curls are their specialty.

When you're doing something obscure and unknown like deadlifts they won't nitpick, they'll just be confused. "Is that upper or lower bicep those work?"
    haha omg made me lol
    Starting Weight:120
    Current Weight:168
    Goal Weight: 185

Eat.Eat.Eat.Eat.Eat.Bulk.

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by dbx View Post
    As long as you're experienced in lifting and in control of the cheat, it's the only way (again, imo) to make gains.
    I would go as far as saying, what I fixed in your statement.
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ntrllftr View Post
    I would go as far as saying, what I fixed in your statement.
    Lulz. Excellent revision!
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    IMO, cheating on DB or BB curls is one of the few, perfectly acceptable exercises to cheat on. As long as you're experienced in lifting and in control of the cheat, it's a great way (again, imo) to make gains.
    ^^^THIS^^^...curling is the one thing its ok to swing on...in a controlled manner. I have seen pros swinging so much and leaning to the side so far I thought they were going to flip over backwards..lol

Its all about control
    !!!!DONT LIKE ME?..DONT AGREE!!!...DONT CARE!!!!..."drops mic"...PEACEOUT!!!

C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Glad to hear that. My back gets to arching more & more on the last few reps of my last set of BB Curls. But like you say, that's the only way I can squeak 1 to 2 more reps, or 5lbs more next week.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 25

lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Form on curls..... Good lord its CURLS.....
    Eat right, exercise, lift weights, get 8 hours of sleep.

plushbiscuit is on a distinguished road. (+10) plushbiscuit is on a distinguished road. (+10) plushbiscuit is on a distinguished road. (+10) plushbiscuit is on a distinguished road. (+10) plushbiscuit is on a distinguished road. (+10) plushbiscuit is on a distinguished road. (+10) plushbiscuit is on a distinguished road. (+10) plushbiscuit is on a distinguished road. (+10) plushbiscuit is on a distinguished road. (+10) plushbiscuit is on a distinguished road. (+10) plushbiscuit is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lol.

BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I concur.

BazzaW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BazzaW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BazzaW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BazzaW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BazzaW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BazzaW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BazzaW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BazzaW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BazzaW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BazzaW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BazzaW has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

I love that! Had a young guy a few weeks back come over when I was finishing deads and say, 'How the hell do you lift that much!' -made my week
    "Life is a just employer...it pays you what you ask
    But once you've set the wage...why you must bear the task"

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    x2

More than IYO, cheat curls add mass to the bi's, again with control of the cheat.
    On the list for Bannukah

peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500) peacesells is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm glad I read this today. I had to cheat on my curls this afternoon and was feeling a bit guilty about it. So much so that I dropped weight by 10 pounds and did 5 perfect curls to make up for it.
    Rolling with the punches.

Registered User DeathtoToasters's Avatar
    DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would have just taken off my shirt (if I looked like you) and been like:

"Any other advice you want to give me? "

lol....

but that is just me!

JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters View Post
    I would have just taken off my shirt (if I looked like you) and been like:

"Any other advice you want to give me? "

lol....

but that is just me!
    They are way to young and smart to listen to old guys like us. I didn't bother explaining cheat curls at the end of heavy sets because they wouldn't listen anyway. I do think watching overall form is great for newbies......it's just funny when they see something a little different then basic rules being followed they instantly think it is wrong.

Oh......and I don't think I've ever seen them on leg day LOL!
    The first rule to winning the game is to stay in it......

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have to agree with this, with emphasis on "control".

-=FLEX=-
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500)
    I see they caught you without your Weider bible. You should remember it next time so you can whip it out and educate them on the Weider Cheating Principle.
    Overweight and arrogant

6' 195lbs 32" W 17.5" Gs HeismanWatch's Avatar
    HeismanWatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeismanWatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeismanWatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeismanWatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeismanWatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeismanWatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeismanWatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeismanWatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeismanWatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeismanWatch will become famous soon enough. (+50) HeismanWatch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Heavy set cheating on a failure is totally ok by me!
    Pre-W/O Weight Days = IntrAbolic
    Post-W/O Weight Days = Purple Intrain
    PWO Weight Days = 100% Whey Optimum
    Protein Drink Between Meals = Myofusion
    BCAA's Throughout the Day = Xtend
    PRE Cardio Days = Purple Wraath
    PWO Cardio Days = Xtend
    Multi-Vitamin = Source Naturals Life Force
    Flex = Animal Flex
    Cissus = Supplement Direct

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I overheard two skinny newbies (age 20 or so 130 lbs max) critique my form on barbell curls at the gym.

Especially if you use a barbell...because it really increases the chances that you are doing those curls in the squat rack :P

is epalhs spelt backward shlape's Avatar
    shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I overheard two skinny newbies (age 20 or so 130 lbs max) critique my form on barbell curls at the gym.
    I'm a bit guilty of doing that while I watched a Ronnie Coleman dvd, but look at the size of him.

I think I'll just keep my n00b mouth shut.
    "All I ask is a chance to prove money can't make me happy" - Woody's Chalkboard

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Form is means to an end, not an end itself. Use whatever form hits the muscle where you want how you want.

Ideal "form" is like batting stance in baseball. It is a starting point, but in the end, no one uses the same one.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rocketman44 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I think it's big of you to say that they had a point. Actually, you're being rather generous, because you obviously are using cheating as a technique to lift more weight and not doing it out of ignorance.

That's the thing some guys have to learn in the gym - don't make remarks unless you know for certain what the other person is thinking (and that's very hard to know). Experienced lifters will use cheating as a tactic; newbies will do it out of ignorance or ego. The idea is to discern the difference.

brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You almost have to cheat to make progress with dumbell curl work unless you have microweights. The increments are too big.