Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Crossfit Certification?

I'm very close to attaining my ACSM certification. I was just browsing the net at other certifications to get in order to build on my resume and give me more experience, and i came across this.

http://www.crossfit.com/

Apparently they have Crossfit Seminars happening every month across the world. I'm just wondering if any trainer here is knowledgeable on the Crossfit certification and weither or not it is a worthy cause to go for? Would it advance my career opportunities very much? If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!!

jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think the only real benefit to having cross fit cert at the moment is that its a pretty big fad. if you can advertise that you are a crossfit certified trainer people may will to come to you.

I dont think it will teach you too much though.

nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100)
    Saw the title of the thread and I lol'd.

Listen, just you-tube the vids on crossfit if you wanna learn the exercise, don't give them money.

Cross fit is a BRAND like Nike is a brand. So why pay above sticker price for a modified push-up routine and deadlift for reps? Idk...
    I would've lied if I told you this was easy.

Check out my tumblr: http://nickmanzoni.tumblr.com/

BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Srsly tho, it's pretty much the only way to get in shape like the guys in 300.

OP, do the youtube thing and you'll get the gist of it pretty quick. They also post new workouts on their website daily I think.

A couple of years ago I would have said go for it, but the fad is quickly wearing out.

Registered User trance__dreamer's Avatar
    trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Cool

Originally Posted by nickmanzoni View Post

Listen, just you-tube the vids on crossfit if you wanna learn the exercise, don't give them money.

Cross fit is a BRAND like Nike is a brand. So why pay above sticker price for a modified push-up routine and deadlift for reps? Idk...
    ^^ aaaaaaaaahahahaha. this.

BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by nickmanzoni View Post

This CAN work for some though. I know a trainer that KILLS it partly because of his Nike Sparq training cert and equipment. Branding certainly isn't the end all be all, but it can help if you know how to use it.

OP, the Crossfit target audience is small and specialized. They target those that actually want to kill themselves during their workout, and there is a big difference between those people, and the people that just think they want to be killed during their workouts. Another problem is that they post their workouts on their website. So A. I can pay you to put me through Crossfit workouts...Or B. I can go online and get the workouts for free...

popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000)
    You can (and should) learn something from everyone, but the real question is does the benefit outweight the cost ($1000)? Unless you want to work at a CF gym, I'm probably going to have to say no. They do have a huge amount of info in their journal ($25/yr subscription, includes access to all back issues, updated daily) which I give my full recommendation for, and they have quite an extensive exercise/demos section on crossfit.com. I think that's about all you need ($25 investment) to get 95% of the benefit out of crossfit (knowledge wise). They offer a range of things, so even if one particular article in the journal is bull****, you can just wait another day or browse the archives and pick up some great info.

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Don't waste your time & money. Unless you plan to open a Crossfit gym. They seem to make money & you could always convert it into a regular gym if it does not work out.

I wouldn't do it. Invest in Poliquin International Certification Program (Charles Poliquin). Get levels 1 & 2 & you will be well ahead of most with regards to training & program planning knowledge.

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have the following opinions on crossfit:

A) No complete system. What I mean by this is there is no periodization. They pull WODs (workout of the day) out of a hat and they say, “Here you go. Do these in x-amount of minutes and try to beat your time next time.” What are you training for? There should be specific plans for specific goals. If you’re a powerlifter, why would you do 100 reps of burpees, followed by kipling pull ups, followed by 100 meter sprint, followed by 10 reps of power cleans?

B) Attitude. Crossfitters honestly believe they are SOCOM (Special Operations Command) material. “Oh, yeah.. I’m a Navy SEAL, Olympic Gold Medalist wrapped up in one.” The only thing they jump out of is the back of a pick up truck.

C) Bad Exercise Forms. Like the others said. Watch you tube. You will see horrible, horrible forms. Granted there are regular gym goers across the globe with horrible forms. I see them at my gym everyday. But if you are going to be a TRAINER, you have an ethical and moral obligation to teach your clients CORRECT form so that they don’t die.

D) Injury. Crossfitters have a high injury rate. Not good.

In closing, my clients do powerlifting and Olympic weightlifting exercises. They also do other compound and isolation exercises. Their reps range from high to low. They do bodyweight exercises, KBs, DBs, medicine ball, and lots of plyos. They also do lots of interval-type training like Tabata. Does that mean they crossfit? NO…All this means is that I, as a trainer, have many tools in my toolbox similar to crossfitters. The only huge difference is that I tailor training around specific client goals, and most importantly, I focus on form and I lay out plan to get them from point A to point B.

You already have ACSM. That is one of the top three certs. You probably know a lot more than CF trainers.
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks a lot for the input guys. It was a really huge help. I asked my teacher about crossfit today, and he basically said the same thing as all of you are saying. Thanks again

Originally Posted by labradarep View Post
    Don't waste your time & money. Unless you plan to open a Crossfit gym. They seem to make money & you could always convert it into a regular gym if it does not work out.

I wouldn't do it. Invest in Poliquin International Certification Program (Charles Poliquin). Get levels 1 & 2 & you will be well ahead of most with regards to training & program planning knowledge.
    I'll take a look into that Poliquin program. Thanks

GiWhiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GiWhiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GiWhiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GiWhiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GiWhiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GiWhiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GiWhiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GiWhiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GiWhiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what a thread. I am a NU grad as well and a CF instructor/affiliate owner. The business model for CrossFit is great. Also, the certification has gone through an overhaul and employs a pretty strict written test. Not all CrossFit affiliates are created equal. Some are better than most. If you want to make money, CrossFit is the right business. You must, however, be willing to open up shop and help create a community of fitness. I am a huge proponent of CrossFit as a general preparedness program and a universally scaleable system for anyone. As far as specialization goes, you have to add your own spin on it or put in extra work. And there is perodization in CrossFit, they go over their programming in the certification and show each affiliate owner how to program micro, meso and macrocycles. CrossFit is still relatively new but it isn't going anywhere.
    CrossFit Level 1 Coach (2008)
    Crossfit Movement and Mobility Coach (2010)
    USA Weightlifting Sports Performance Coach (2009)
    ISSA Certified Personal Trainer (2010)
    Ralph Gracie BJJ Purple Belt

Gabriel0398 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Funny this thread popped up when it did. Just yesterday I was talking to the FM at the gym I work out. He's going to Seattle this weekend for to test for his Crossfit "Cert".. We all pretty much laughed at how big a joke it is. Basically if you pay them the $1000 you can advertise using their name.. Now will that bring in some people, yes.. Do I think it's really necessary, probably not..

dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000)
    ^ yeah thats what your pretty much paying for. To use their name. A gym owner of my was advertising crossfit at his gym but he wasnt certified so the heads a cf called him and told him to take the name down and he just changed it to crossfitness.

$1,000 is a raping. I know it was back in the day, but I got my CSCS for something like $600.

To the Crossfit guy: You are probably right that it isn't going anywhere. However in my area I believe it peaked a couple of years ago and probably won't reach anything other than a niche cert that never really draws in the masses.

popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BSCSCS View Post
    $1,000 is a raping. I know it was back in the day, but I got my CSCS for something like $600.
    It is a ripoff for the knowledge you get, but the potential ROI is immense. Some guys with nothing but a $1000 CF cert open up a CF gym, pay their $500-2000/yr gym fees, and with a tiny gym in an industrial area, build up a huge client base (300-500 members at $200/month fees) and pull in 6 figures very comfortably, having a bunch of trainers working for them. I know that isn't everyone's experience, but many affiliate gyms have had huge success. This is no indicator of their actual coaching skills, more of the marketing genius of CEO Greg Glassman. For those who don't plan to follow that path, just reading the CF journal is enough.

GiWhiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GiWhiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GiWhiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GiWhiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GiWhiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GiWhiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GiWhiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GiWhiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GiWhiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There are competent CF Instructors out there. I think it's elitist and juvenile to denounce all CrossFit as bad training.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    A Crossfit certification is useful if you want to open a Crossfit gym, and much less useful if you don't.

Likewise, a powerlifting certification would be useful if you wanted to work with powerlifters, and much less useful if you didn't.

Think of what style of training you enjoy giving to people, and look for courses which will support that.

Originally Posted by GiWhiz View Post
    There are competent CF Instructors out there. I think it's elitist and juvenile to denounce all CrossFit as bad training.
    This is very true. I think that most of us can see the value in a crossfit program, and the value in crossfit trainers and gyms. To be fair though, crossfit puts out a very elitist and juvenile vibe itself which brings on the crossfit hate

Reggie1642 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reggie1642 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reggie1642 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reggie1642 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reggie1642 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reggie1642 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reggie1642 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reggie1642 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reggie1642 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reggie1642 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reggie1642 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you are considering a crossfit cert, you should check out the Killer Circuits program. It gets clients huge results and although it has a lot of the elements of crossfit, it is far better because you can cater to all clients needs. (ie easily work around injuries and limitations). Plus its no BS.

Check it out. killercircuits.com
    Always demand more from yourself than anyone can ever expect of you.

www.KillerCircuits.com

Originally Posted by BSCSCS View Post
    This is very true. I think that most of us can see the value in a crossfit program, and the value in crossfit trainers and gyms. To be fair though, crossfit puts out a very elitist and juvenile vibe itself which brings on the crossfit hate

There is a new mentality going on in CrossFit, and it is simply that the scaleability of the workouts enable any deconditioned individual to negotiate them.

Generally, deconditioned folks don't act elitist, because they have nothing to show for it. I apologize for my honesty, but most people who are members at an affiliate are overweight just like any other gym.

The people who project their superiority over others and use CrossFit as a vehicle are most likely a**holes in all other aspects of their lives, and CrossFit is just another way of imposing their will. At many affiliates, there are "A**hole Clauses" in membership contracts. It basically keeps the vibe mellow there and gives owners the instant ability to reject "fringe" members who upset others and give the place a bad name.

I hope this improves your opinion of this evolving phenomenon. If it doesn't, I won't lose any sleep over it.

CF gets a bad rap because it's so internet-based. Most people are *******s on the internet, but if you go into an actual CF gym and meet some of the people, you'll find they're normally great people with no sense of elitism. However, if the only time you talk to CF people is over the internet, you'll definitely get a bad impression of them.

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Cool

Originally Posted by GiWhiz View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying that the instructors are not competant.

No doubt the CF gyms make money.

But, let's get real. Anyone who knows anything about lifting/training should be questioning why CF has workouts where trainees perform 21-15-9 while using Olympic lifts???? (just 1 example)

How do you deal with clients with strength deficits??? Injuries???? etc...

I do like alot of aspects about CF. Challenging yourself against the clock & other CF'ers, Competitions, High Intensity workouts, great atmosphere at most CF gyms (I base that on observation & conversations I have had with CF members.

It is not all bad.

patnormand will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnormand will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnormand will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnormand will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnormand will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnormand will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnormand will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnormand will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnormand will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnormand will become famous soon enough. (+50) patnormand will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Last weekend i was in a personal trainer plyometrics formation and we ask the teacher about crossfit, if it's good.

He said; no, crossfit it's a fashion like many others in the past. ''Crossfit'' a big word of marketing to make money.

Tring to make money with people with a big word that' all.
    Last edited by patnormand; 05-13-2010 at 09:18 AM.
    80% of your results come from what you eat.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've noticed that their forums always have quite large injury subforums.

Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    I've noticed that their forums always have quite large injury subforums.
    IMO CF is only good for General Physical Preparedness (GPP) & I even question that at times. Plus, it does not take into account that everybody has different needs. Programs should be based on client needs.

It's Supposed to Hurt! Thuirwyne's Avatar
    Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000)
    IMO, if you want to pay for a CF Cert., go for it; just don't make that your main one...NSCA or ACSM should be the base. NASM is okay too...CF should be considered a supplemental certification. One of my former clients got her Level 1 CrossFit cert a couple of years ago, another of my former clients just received her NASM; guess which one is more complete?
    Food Aggressive

kantutero is on a distinguished road. (+10) kantutero is on a distinguished road. (+10) kantutero is on a distinguished road. (+10) kantutero is on a distinguished road. (+10) kantutero is on a distinguished road. (+10) kantutero is on a distinguished road. (+10) kantutero is on a distinguished road. (+10) kantutero is on a distinguished road. (+10) kantutero is on a distinguished road. (+10) kantutero is on a distinguished road. (+10) kantutero is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    A friend of mine is only 28. When he walks people look at him funny. The best way I can describe his condition when he walks is as follows: Imagine you have diarrhea and you are in desperate need of a restroom. Also imagine that you have jock itch in between your crack and no form of scratching could relieve this discomfort.

Yup. You guessed it! Crossfit did him in.

The "trainer" had his class do some weird-ass exercise on a trampoline. I think it was jumping split squat complexed with DB arnold press. My friend slipped and he landed on the round aluminum frame, crushing his right testicle, among other things which I won't detail due to graphic nature..

Crossfit trains "elite" athletes alright.

Originally Posted by kantutero View Post
    The "trainer" had his class do some weird-ass exercise on a trampoline. I think it was jumping split squat complexed with DB arnold press.
    Dear lord, what a lunatic :|. To be fair, we need to remember how there is a huge range in the quality of PTs, and of course, also in CF trainers. Some are insanely bad, most are average, and some are exceptional. It's unfair to judge an entire group (PTs, CFers) based on one person. That being said, CF promotes some good things (clean eating, compound lifts, intensity, group workouts, general fitness, trying new things) but some of the people who are attracted to it, the attitude they bring, and the real-life execution of CF seems to be where it all goes wrong. People become dogmatic (The same program for everyone etc) and it quickly turns into an us vs. them rather than a question of what can everyone learn from each other.

I don't think anyone is saying that the instructors are not competant.

No doubt the CF gyms make money.

But, let's get real. Anyone who knows anything about lifting/training should be questioning why CF has workouts where trainees perform 21-15-9 while using Olympic lifts???? (just 1 example)

I do like alot of aspects about CF. Challenging yourself against the clock & other CF'ers, Competitions, High Intensity workouts, great atmosphere at most CF gyms (I base that on observation & conversations I have had with CF members.

It is not all bad.
    CrossFit is "Universally Scaleable." You subsitute exercises that are similar or totally different to avoid or mitigate further injury. You can scale the load obviously, and you scale their intensity. A good instructor is monitoring his class at all times and shouting instructions above the music. Also, a good instructor plays sweet metal super loud and plays the air guitar while standing on the reverse hyper machine.