Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Blood Urea Nitrogen

A recent blood test revealed a highly elevated B.U.N. level. I haven't actually been able to speak with my doctor about it yet (the results were faxed to me, not delivered in person) and I'm wondering what it indicates? Is it a matter of not getting enough carbs and/or too much protein?
    ***Will rep for help developing my clean bulking diet+workout: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125002231

“Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.” - Mark Twain

Current (Food) Addictions:
    -Sweet Potato
    -Corn
    -Salmon
    -Toasted Almonds
    -Turmeric

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Myewze View Post
    Bump for knowledge?
    happened to me whe I had too much protein
    how much protein is in your diet (total)
    what is your total calotie intake?
    Fiber?
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000)
    a Kindey problems.

b Dietary issues.

Contrary to popular belief you don't need or WANT high amounts of protein in your diet. 100g is more than enough for most people.
    Mirin'triceps peak? Thanks westside barbell.

Gettin'older, studying MMA in Brazil gonna fight soon, on my own crew.

Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10) Myewze is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    how much protein is in your diet (total)
    what is your total calotie intake?
    Fiber?
    I'm having a hard time nailing that down.
    See: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?p=481224981
    ***Will rep for help developing my clean bulking diet+workout: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125002231

“Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.” - Mark Twain

Current (Food) Addictions:
    -Sweet Potato
    -Corn
    -Salmon
    -Toasted Almonds
    -Turmeric

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This comes up often in the forums:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1462980
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?p=427273991
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?p=483965111
    To cut and paste a few things:
    rea (BUN - blood urea nitrogen) is simply a by product of protein breakdown. And you are not alone in having a high reading..... I would actually hazard a guess to say that about 95% of people on this forum will have higher BUN than the reference ranges - as it is simply related to a higher than average protein diet. It can also be high after exercise (due to muscle trauma) and is also seen to increase with a few other things [eg: if you are pregnant! as well as seeing artificial increases if you are dehydrated]... Yes - it is also increases in things such as liver or kidney disease, but as your liver functions and other kidney tests were apparently normal, I would not be concerned it was related to these.
    It doesn't surprise me that your BUN is high. Urea is a product of the breakdown/ metabolism of protein. High protein diet = high BUN. The ratio is simply a reflection of a higher BUN [increase BUN to a greater proportion than creatinine is increased and the ratio of BUN to Creatinine will increase].

There are a few other things that will also put the levels up (once again, a good example would be kidney damage which means that the urea is not filtered as quickly as it should be.... and another would be dehydration for the same reasons as above). But in your case? Likely to be a higher protein diet.
    here are a couple of reasons why your Blood urea levels (or BUN) can be increased.

1. Decreased rate of excretion by your kidney - If you where dehydrated at the time your kidneys filter out less urea (but this is unlikely as you said that you had drunk a lot of water before the test). Decreased excretion would also happen if you had an underlying kidney problem (which I am sure you would know about).

2. Resorption of the urea from your urine - This is highly unlikely. It is seen when you have things like a ruptured bladder or a blockage in your urinary tract which was causing your urine build up or leak back into your body to be reabsorbed. You would kind of be sick if this was happening.

3. Increased production - This is the most likely reason why your levels are the high range of normal. Increased production of urea occurs if you are in a highly catabolic state (like if you were severely starving or had life threatening cancer), but I doubt your body would be severely catabolic so this leaves increased protein intake.

See, not all the protein you eat will be used directly by your muscles. Infact - after you eat a protein meal only about 25% of the will go initially to your muscles. About 20% is used by your liver (to make liver enzymes and proteins) and about 50% is converted in your liver into other energy sources. When this protein is converted into the other energy sources you will inevitably get a higher release of nitrogenous waste (urea) into your blood.

Plus, the more protein in your diet overall, the higher the rate of protein turn over that occurs in your body in general and the more likely you will have a slightly higher blood urea nitrogen. Also - if you are physically active your protein turn over is similarly increased. Meaning a slighly higher base level of BUN.

So, even if you are not eating too much protein you will still have a slightly higher urea level after eating protein, if you are physically active or if you have a high protein diet in general.

Maybe it was one of these....??
    However - at the end of the day it is important to check any abnormal result with your doctor to see if it is something that you should be concerned about.

VANCOUVER CANUCKS FUK YEA MAGnitude's Avatar
    MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Myewze View Post
    A recent blood test revealed a highly elevated B.U.N. level. I haven't actually been able to speak with my doctor about it yet (the results were faxed to me, not delivered in person) and I'm wondering what it indicates? Is it a matter of not getting enough carbs and/or too much protein?
    too much protein, lower ur protein and ur BUN levels will normalise. anyone who lifts will also have slightly elevated creatinine levels, yet higher levels indicated waste not processed at optimal rate which is also caused from high protein. also, CK levels creatine kinase levels will be slightly elevated in people who are active/weight lift.

consistent abnormal BUN can be consistent with such conditions such as Rhabdomyolysis or Glomerulonephritis, so first step is to drop ur protein intake.

if you would like, you can PM your blood results and i will go over them to explain what i can see could be the problem and how ur levels are in refernce to normal ranges. yet obviously you also want to take it up with your local doctor as well.

i'd be more than happy to help.

cheers
    Last edited by MAGnitude; 05-17-2010 at 06:22 AM.
    RIP- LUC BOURDON

GO THE CANUCKS, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!