Its all about Performance CMRCrider's Avatar
    CMRCrider will become famous soon enough. (+50) CMRCrider will become famous soon enough. (+50) CMRCrider will become famous soon enough. (+50) CMRCrider will become famous soon enough. (+50) CMRCrider will become famous soon enough. (+50) CMRCrider will become famous soon enough. (+50) CMRCrider will become famous soon enough. (+50) CMRCrider will become famous soon enough. (+50) CMRCrider will become famous soon enough. (+50) CMRCrider will become famous soon enough. (+50) CMRCrider will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Linear progression vs. 5/3/1

Im currently finishing my third wave of 5/3/1 and my lifts are still going up. Ive been running the program with a fair amount of GPP to help me train for Firefighter combat challenges and retain some conditioning for my job.

My question is this: Would I be better off doing a linear progression style of training since Ive never done it before? 5/3/1 is great, but Im not sure if I would be better off training with a linear progession style of programing until I can no longer train in a "novice" state. At that point, I would definatly run 5/3/1 again.

The program I was thinking of running is Justins Witchita Falls GPP program which looks like this:

Monday:

Squat – Weight lifted x 5 reps x 3 sets, sets across
    (Increasing 5 pounds per workout)
    Press – 5x3, sets across
    Chins – 3 sets of as many reps as possible
    (Performed from a dead hang and with body weight initially)

Tuesday:

Power Clean – 3x5, sets across
    Met-con

Wednesday:

Off Day or Skill Day

Thursday:

Squat – 5x3, sets across
    Bench Press – 5x3, sets across
    Pull-ups - 3 sets of as many reps as possible
    (Performed from a dead hang and with body weight initially)

Friday:

Deadlift – 5x1
    (Increasing 5 to 10 pounds per workout)
    Met-con

Reps for any solid advice. Cheers!
    "Get comfortable with the uncomfortable"

endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If 5/3/1 is doing what you want it to be doing...keep doing it.

It didnt for me so I stopped it. Simple

endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I should get clarify more. If it works keep doing it, it is supposed to be run for a long time.

People get ADD and switch up programs too often

Can you run through how long you have been on it, and what numbers you had before and after?

CMRCrider will become famous soon enough. (+50) CMRCrider will become famous soon enough. (+50) CMRCrider will become famous soon enough. (+50) CMRCrider will become famous soon enough. (+50) CMRCrider will become famous soon enough. (+50) CMRCrider will become famous soon enough. (+50) CMRCrider will become famous soon enough. (+50) CMRCrider will become famous soon enough. (+50) CMRCrider will become famous soon enough. (+50) CMRCrider will become famous soon enough. (+50) CMRCrider will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I want to get stronger, which it IS doing. The only thing Im wondering is if Ill get stronger quicker with a linear progession program since Ive never done one.

Originally Posted by CMRCrider View Post
    I want to get stronger, which it IS doing. The only thing Im wondering is if Ill get stronger quicker with a linear progession program since Ive never done one.
    go through your befores and afters

Originally Posted by endpoint View Post
    I should get clarify more. If it works keep doing it, it is supposed to be run for a long time.

People get ADD and switch up programs too often

Can you run through how long you have been on it, and what numbers you had before and after?
    Im guilty of the ADD and I want it to stop. Im either sticking with 5/3/1 or doing a linear progession program. I questioning wether I need to establish more of a base of strength which may be done quicker with linear programing.

Im on my 4th cycle. Current 1RM's based off of this and last weeks lifts:

Squat: 315lbs
    Deadlift: 355lbs
    Bench: 245lbs
    Press: 155lbs

My number on the Squat and Deadlift were actually higher than that about 8 months back, but I did way to much cardio over the winter and my strength suffered. Id love to do a local powerlifting meet at the end of the year for the experience even though my numbers are garbage.

swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000)
    This just in 5/3/1 is linear progression. but thanks for playing!
    It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but rather the one most responsive to change.

swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by CMRCrider View Post
    If you are getting stronger then keep doing it. The path to "But if I do this maybe I can....." is the path to being a weak ***got who fcuks barbara walthers and can only cum if a baby dies.

I said it here folks.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but rather the one most responsive to change.

Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by swolegantor View Post
    This just in 5/3/1 is linear progression. but thanks for playing!
    I was gonna say this!

Originally Posted by swolegantor View Post
    If you are getting stronger then keep doing it. The path to "But if I do this maybe I can....." is the path to being a weak ***got who fcuks barbara walthers and can only cum if a baby dies.

I said it here folks.
    I would have never thought to say this!

Registered User JohnyUnreliable's Avatar
    JohnyUnreliable has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnyUnreliable has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnyUnreliable has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnyUnreliable has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnyUnreliable has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnyUnreliable has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnyUnreliable has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnyUnreliable has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnyUnreliable has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnyUnreliable has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnyUnreliable has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    5/3/1 is a great program but for a novice linear progression type program (by linear I mean adding weight to the bar every week) will build strength and size much faster. True novices can add 10lbs to the squat bar every workout for up to a few months if they're eating correctly or doing GOMAD.

In my experience most people tend to think they're more advanced then they really are and go for the more complicated program. 5/3/1 is great but adding only 10lbs per month to your squat is a bit slow if you're only squatting 315. Of course that really depends on you're weight, disregard if thats a 2x BW lift for you but if you're over 185lbs I'd get back on SS and eat more.

The one thing that a program like SS requires is tons of food. Try it again and eat more. GOMAD every day for the win.

Jotnar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jotnar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jotnar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jotnar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jotnar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jotnar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jotnar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jotnar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jotnar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jotnar is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jotnar is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Your to advanced for Starting Strength now in my opinion but I think your just right for Texas 5x5/Madcow 5x5 or any kind of Bill Starr 5x5. Your in the intermediate stage now and you need to push through to the advanced stage and the 5x5 will do it the quickest. 5/3/1 may get you there eventually but its going to take 3 times as long, your choice. Also, your deadlift seems really weak compared to your squat, why? Best of luck man.
    "Ask of yourself, what is the purpose of life, and if no answer is found then set for yourself high and mighty goals, for I can think of no better use of life than perishing in pursuit of the great and the impossible."

Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JohnyUnreliable View Post
    5/3/1 is a great program but for a novice linear progression type program (by linear I mean adding weight to the bar every week) will build strength and size much faster. True novices can add 10lbs to the squat bar every workout for up to a few months if they're eating correctly or doing GOMAD.

In my experience most people tend to think they're more advanced then they really are and go for the more complicated program. 5/3/1 is great but adding only 10lbs per month to your squat is a bit slow if you're only squatting 315. Of course that really depends on you're weight, disregard if thats a 2x BW lift for you but if you're over 185lbs I'd get back on SS and eat more.

The one thing that a program like SS requires is tons of food. Try it again and eat more. GOMAD every day for the win.
    Nothing wrong with a consistent 10lb gain every month. In 1 year that 315 squat becomes a 435 squat... I dont see that as being slow progress

fishoildick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fishoildick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fishoildick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fishoildick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fishoildick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fishoildick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fishoildick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fishoildick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fishoildick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fishoildick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fishoildick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Ka0s View Post
    Nothing wrong with a consistent 10lb gain every month. In 1 year that 315 squat becomes a 435 squat... I dont see that as being slow progress
    this

eddie9684 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Ka0s View Post
    I ve used 531 and stalled pretty quick as a beginner, linear program worked better for me..

531 is more for the intermediate...

runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000) runtocatch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by eddie9684 View Post
    I ve used 531 and stalled pretty quick as a beginner, linear program worked better for me..

531 is more for the intermediate...
    This post is so backasswards I don't even know where to begin.

squideh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squideh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squideh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squideh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squideh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squideh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squideh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squideh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squideh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squideh is on a distinguished road. (+10) squideh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I wasted a lot of time switching between 5/3/1 and a 5x5 program. I made gains every cycle of 5/3/1, but decided that my numbers were too low. So, I started on Madcow and had to drop my 5rm below what it was for 3 weeks. Then I got stronger than when I stopped, but when I looked at what I would have been at with 5/3/1 it was exactly the same when it was all said and done, with stalls during madcow happening frequently after the first 3 weeks, I realized it wasn't worth it.

Don't switch.
    Best gym lifts: 410/235/480

1st Meet (July 12, 2014): 385/215/435 @ 275 lb.
    2nd Meet (April 25, 2015): 363/220/485 @ 237 lb.

DHTime is on a distinguished road. (+10) DHTime is on a distinguished road. (+10) DHTime is on a distinguished road. (+10) DHTime is on a distinguished road. (+10) DHTime is on a distinguished road. (+10) DHTime is on a distinguished road. (+10) DHTime is on a distinguished road. (+10) DHTime is on a distinguished road. (+10) DHTime is on a distinguished road. (+10) DHTime is on a distinguished road. (+10) DHTime is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    One still has to do a hell of a lot of eating with 5/3/1, even at less than stellar numbers. Also, 5/3/1 is far more fun than grinding a new 5RM every single fu**ing session/week.

Lets also look at the fact that virtually all the popular LP programs are unbalanced and have the Squat at the front above all else. What's more, so many people on the internet will recommend Starting Strength and Stronglifts and demand that people milk all they are worth on these programs until the bitter end. Sure, these programs work, but they aren't the be all and end all, and just because you have to suffer through them, doesn't mean it's fair to haze others by insisting they milk them out when clearly they are stalling and would benefit from monthly progression, regardless of where their "numbers" place them on somebody else's strength standards.

What we do is supposed to be fun ya know? You can't expect to gain forever.

"Eat more" simply doesn't work past a point.

ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000) ecchastang is just really nice. (+1000)
    Gains are not limited to 5 lbs per month on 5/3/1. If I do 270 for 6 one month, and the next do 275 for 7, I have gained far more than 5 lbs of strength. Also, I feel people benefit from mixing up their rep ranges, which 5/3/1 allows for. Also, depending on the accessory work and template, you might gain faster.

RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You can add more weight than 5/3/1 calls for. If you're feeling like the weight is just too light, add more the next cycle. But keep in mind that it's meant to be gradual and run for a long time. So keep it steady, smart, and don't be a vag.

Either is fine. Just pick one and work hard.
    This post is Natypes approved.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.