limzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) limzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) limzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) limzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) limzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) limzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) limzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) limzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) limzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) limzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) limzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need opinions on this training plan

Hey. Apologies for the lengthy post. I play on the Rugby Union team at my University and our coach has given us position specific workout programs for our four month off season. My position is winger which for those of you who don't know the sport means in a few words that I either run very fast up the side or tackle anyone who gets past the rest of the backs. Anyways, I would like some opinions on the regiment my coach has given me as I'm rather wary of it. To me it seems like the lifting would have little result more than maintaining my current strength, but also leaves a great deal of muscle groups out. I currently do roughly a four day cycle of chest/triceps/core, back/biceps, legs/shoulders, rest. I frequently change up the exercises and number of reps so my body isn't adapting to the workout but I make sure to leave no muscle group ignored. My personal goal for this off season would be to make small gains in speed and endurance, but even more so I would like to put on a little more mass being relatively small (perhaps this is counterintuitive so let me know if I'm dreaming). Another Idea I had was to just bulk for 10 weeks or whatnot then get my speed back using the rest of the summer. Anyways, I would like to hear what some of you have to say about it:

For the exercises it's: sets,reps,rest

TRAINING GUIDE
    MONDAY
    Full Body & Core Strength (ST) Training
    Swiss Ball Single Leg Curl 3-4 8-12 60
    BB Back Squat or Deadlift 2-3 8-12 60-90
    DB or BB Benchpress 1-2 8-12 60-90
    DB or BB Bentover Row 2-3 8-12 60-90
    Static Fwd Ball Roll 2-3 Held for 20-120 secs 30 max
    DB or BB Shoulder Press 2-3 8-12 60
    Seated Reverse Fly 2-3 12-20 30 max
    Stand Medicine Ball Twist 2-3 12-20 30 max
    Options on how to complete this workout
    TUESDAY
    Activity of choice Eg. Touch, Laser-force, Frisbee or Ultimate Game
    Today is about giving your body a good workout with a focus on Speed (SP) and Agility (AG). To do this you may
    choose a fun activity like touch rugby that will work on your ball handling skills, specific to rugby. Otherwise choose an
    option that is different but will provide the same physical benefits, for example Ultimate Game (paintball).
    WEDNESDAY
    Aerobic Capacity (AC)
    Activity Options Duration (mins) Intensity (RPE)
    You can choose from any of the options below to complete this part of the programme
    Run:
    Mix into this session the following:
    Changes in pace (include 3-4 x 20m sprints)
    Flat v hilly terrain; grass v sand surfaces (beach)
    Fun mini-games and activities Eg. Soccer, Frisbee...
    Down and ups
    30-50 5-7/10
    Row, Cycle, X'Trainer, Aquajog, Box or Swim
    Combinations Eg. Cycle then swim...
    Changes in pace (resistance)
    Fun mini-games and activities Eg. Water Polo, Water Rugby...
    30-50 5-7/10
    Intensity Guide for Aerobic (AC) and Anaerobic Capacity (AnC) training sessions
    THURSDAY
    Full Body & Core Strength (ST) Training
    Swiss Ball Single Leg Curl 3-4 8-12 60
    BB Back Squat or Deadlift 2-3 8-12 60-90
    DB or BB Benchpress 1-2 8-12 60-90
    DB or BB Bentover Row 2-3 8-12 60-90
    Static Fwd Ball Roll 2-3 Held for 20-120 secs 30 max
    DB or BB Shoulder Press 2-3 8-12 60
    Exercise Sets Reps Load Rest (secs)
    Seated Reverse Fly 2-3 12-20 30 max
    Stand Medicine Ball Twist 2-3 12-20 30 max
    Options on how to complete this workout
    FRIDAY
    Rest/Recover Use of massage (if not injured)
    SATURDAY
    Aerobic Capacity (AC)
    Activity Options Duration (mins) Intensity (RPE)
    You can choose from any of the options below to complete this part of the programme
    Run:
    Changes in pace (include 3-4 x 20m sprints)
    Flat v hilly terrain; grass v sand surfaces (beach)
    Fun mini-games and activities Eg. Soccer, Frisbee...
    Down and ups
    30-50 5-7/10
    Row, Cycle, X'Trainer, Aquajog, Box or Swim
    Combinations Eg. Cycle then swim...
    Changes in pace (resistance)
    Fun mini-games and activities Eg. Water Polo, Water Rugby...
    30-50 5-7/10
    Intensity Guide for Aerobic (AC) and Anaerobic Capacity (AnC) training sessions
    SUNDAY
    Rest / Recovery Easy beach walk, Swim, Aqua-Jog, Mow the Lawn
    Today’s about giving your body a chance to chill out and recover from the previous days’ activities. Try something light
    and enjoyable like frisbee or a short game of touch rugby but don’t over-extend yourself.

Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fullback7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Keeping this as short as possible, it's a lot of unecessary work. Some of these lifts are "almost" pointless for your sport in comparison to other exerices you can do. i.e. leg curls, chest flys, etc. If you absolutly have to design your own workout then look at some of the workouts of some top trainers and then compare them to yours. I do like your unorthodox training for agility, and speed.
    CPT-ISSA
    Trainedbykevin.com

SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000)
    It is far from the worst program I have ever seen and it actually looks like a reasonable program. The aerobic capacity and speed work is especially important and a lot of people tend to ignore this aspect of training.

As far as your current programming and "never allowing your body to adapt to a workout", we want the body to adapt to the demands that we are imposing on it. That is the purpose of training. We have a problem when the body is not adapting. Either you are placing too much of a demand on the body (too much fatigue), or not enough demand (not enough fatigue).

If you are going to change the program, make minor changes. It is not that bad of a program that it needs to be completely thrown out. The key is progression. You should see increases in strength, speed, aerobic capacity, etc. throughout the off-season. This is where testing comes in. If you do not see progress, that is when you know changes have to be made. However, prior to this you can only look at the basic principles behind organizing training to ensure that it isn't an awful program.