freudchicken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can I build muscle with resistance bands?

Just as the title says. I am currently in a tough situation, in that I'm lifting 25 lb. dumbbells and am ready to lift heavier weights. However, I am really short on money and constantly investing in progressively heavier weights or a home gym (or joining a gym) are not financially feasible for me right now. However, upon doing a Google search, I found a set of resistance bands called Bodylastics and the Terrell Owens Super Strong Man Edition (up to 132 lb. of resistance) interests me because of what you're getting for the price. Now I know that obviously resistance bands are not going to be as effective as free weights. But I'm not interested in getting a humungous, bodybuilder body. My main goals are to get my body fat % at 10% or below (which I'm working on through 30 min. of high intensity interval training 3 times per week and 3 days of lifting with 25 lb. weights for 40 minutes) and to build up a good amount of muscle in my arms, chest, etc, etc (again, not up to bodybuilder level). Will "heavy" resistance bands like Bodylastics do that for me and be better than continuing to work with my 25 lb. dumbbells or are they a complete scam?

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    They will work for you if you use them.

This might save you some green:

http://cgi.ebay.com/11-Pc-RESISTANCE...item53e0a5db8a

People on here have had good experiences with this seller. If you need more resistance you can buy 2 kits and you are still way ahead.
    Last edited by Wildtim; 05-04-2010 at 06:52 AM.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    They will work for you if you use them.

This might save you some green:

http://cgi.ebay.com/11-Pc-RESISTANCE...item53e0a5db8a

People on here have had good experiences with this seller. If you need more resistance you can buy 2 kits and you are still way ahead.
    Crap....I'm gonna $30 myself to death between this...those fat grip things in the other thread and a gymboss.....

Not to mention I want a new bar....and plates......and to build a lifting platform....crap, I'm gonna go broke.
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by cgc View Post
    Crap....I'm gonna $30 myself to death between this...those fat grip things in the other thread and a gymboss.....

Not to mention I want a new bar....and plates......and to build a lifting platform....crap, I'm gonna go broke.
    Right? The equipment forum is great for making you realize how much extra stuff you need...

Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Jimbo. View Post
    Right? The equipment forum is great for making you realize how much extra stuff you need...
    lol, This is so true. My "gym wish list" trippled in size after I started checking in with you guys on a daily basis. My motorcycle fund has been greatly depleted.

Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by freudchicken View Post
    But I'm not interested in getting a humungous, bodybuilder body.
    Then by all means, stay away from free weights!!!!!!

Phew, that was a close one.

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    Indeed....I've been looking around my garage for crap to sell. With the baby on the way, my wife looks at my like I've lost my mind when I talk about buying gym stuff...lol.

I'll see that look tonight....Just ordered the gymboss...lol.
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Word. I started flipping to help pay off my setup, but it just ends up going towards more gear. Flipped a dumbbell set for $200, buying a TPB for $245...and so it goes.

paolojackson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If it's the gymboss timer you are talking about, I use mine all the time. So simple yet so effective.

ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Manzooka View Post
    lol, This is so true. My "gym wish list" trippled in size after I started checking in with you guys on a daily basis. My motorcycle fund has been greatly depleted.
    I've been looking at my bike like I should sell it for more gear.

CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by freudchicken View Post
    Just as the title says. I am currently in a tough situation, in that I'm lifting 25 lb. dumbbells and am ready to lift heavier weights. However, I am really short on money and constantly investing in progressively heavier weights or a home gym (or joining a gym) are not financially feasible for me right now. However, upon doing a Google search, I found a set of resistance bands called Bodylastics and the Terrell Owens Super Strong Man Edition (up to 132 lb. of resistance) interests me because of what you're getting for the price. Now I know that obviously resistance bands are not going to be as effective as free weights. But I'm not interested in getting a humungous, bodybuilder body. My main goals are to get my body fat % at 10% or below (which I'm working on through 30 min. of high intensity interval training 3 times per week and 3 days of lifting with 25 lb. weights for 40 minutes) and to build up a good amount of muscle in my arms, chest, etc, etc (again, not up to bodybuilder level). Will "heavy" resistance bands like Bodylastics do that for me and be better than continuing to work with my 25 lb. dumbbells or are they a complete scam?
    Resistance bands are a great addition to weights as well as you can get a great work out with them by themselves. If you really want to get cut up without loosing muscle I would check out the IronWoody Bands. They don't have handles which enables you to do more exercises in my opinion. They start at a 25 lb resistance and go all the way up to 200 lbs. I have personally used the large band to do push ups, trying to get cut as well as not loose any in the way of my bench and have actually had my bench go up because of the intensity they created in the top and bottom of the movement. No offense to anyone who uses the bands with handles, they just do not compare. These can be used by themselves as well as weights.
    cff@christiansfitnessfactory.com
    “Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

oxbeard is just really nice. (+1000) oxbeard is just really nice. (+1000) oxbeard is just really nice. (+1000) oxbeard is just really nice. (+1000) oxbeard is just really nice. (+1000) oxbeard is just really nice. (+1000) oxbeard is just really nice. (+1000) oxbeard is just really nice. (+1000) oxbeard is just really nice. (+1000) oxbeard is just really nice. (+1000) oxbeard is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yep, when I got to Wildtim's reply I was thinking I proably shouldn't have have opened this thread. Add something else to the list.

SurelyFunky is on a distinguished road. (+10) SurelyFunky is on a distinguished road. (+10) SurelyFunky is on a distinguished road. (+10) SurelyFunky is on a distinguished road. (+10) SurelyFunky is on a distinguished road. (+10) SurelyFunky is on a distinguished road. (+10) SurelyFunky is on a distinguished road. (+10) SurelyFunky is on a distinguished road. (+10) SurelyFunky is on a distinguished road. (+10) SurelyFunky is on a distinguished road. (+10) SurelyFunky is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just to build on this, can someone point me in the direction of a workout designed for resistance bands?

Thanks.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Any workout can be done with resistance bands. You just have to convert the exercises to the version you can do with the bands.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17