I'm trying to put together a beginning weight training workout for my mother who is 55 years old. I want to include a workout that uses a mix between free weights and cable machines. I have no clue where to start. What lifts should someone that old stay away from and what lifts would be best for someone her age. Can one of you lovely seasoned ladies help me out?
Thread: Workout routine for 55 year old?
05-04-2010, 12:10 AM #1
Workout routine for 55 year old?
05-04-2010, 03:10 AM #2
- Join Date: Apr 2003
- Location: NSW, Australia
- Stats: 5'6"
- Posts: 17,719
- BodyPoints: 11632
- Rep Power: 1294807
Her age -> older than what you are asking about.
What we did tonight -> included deadlifts (conventional), OH Presses, Chin ups, DB bench press, DB rows, OH Lunges and all those other 'normal' lifts that 'normal' people do.
Age doesn't necessarily prevent you from performing anything.... YES there are a few things you need to be careful of:
- flexibility is often decreased/ ROM in joints secondary to arthritis or muscle contracture... so be careful with stretch exercises or exercises that may result in joint injury (eg: behind the neck pull downs would be ridiculous)
- Elderly people have decreased balance, and are more at risk of falling... so be careful with exercises that require lots of balance, also be careful of changing position rapidly (increased risk of black outs/ syncope).
- Pelvic floor issues. especially an issue in females who have had bubs... So be careful with things that raise intra-abdominal pressure a lot...
- Sarcopaenia of fast-twitch muscle fibres occur as people get older - especially in the - so she may LOOK bigger and stronger than she is.... Especially in places like the GLUTES/ posterior chain.... so you would be best to focus on these muscle groups.
Then there are all the regular things:
- good warm up (a little longer in the elderly)
- ensure GOOD baseline strength before moving onto more complex lifts
- ensure good baseline FITNESS before doing anything that is overly stressful to the heart
- adequate cool down to prevent stiffness
Also - most importantly, make sure she gets a full doctors check up before she starts. This will help identify any restrictions that should be placed*perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim*
"The greatest rewards are always reserved for those who bring great value to themselves and the world around them as a result of whom and what they have become." - Jim Rohn
It's your call. DRIV.... E.
Reps for protein powder, puppies, or anyone who buys me a house.
05-05-2010, 02:44 PM #3
- Join Date: Jun 2009
- Location: United Kingdom (Great Britain)
- Age: 42
- Stats: 5'2", 116 lbs
- Posts: 138
- Rep Power: 19
05-05-2010, 02:53 PM #4
- Join Date: Sep 2007
- Age: 55
- Stats: 5'4", 120 lbs
- Posts: 15,877
- BodyPoints: 5613
- Rep Power: 18980
By BUFFY in forum Workout ProgramsReplies: 10Last Post: 07-18-2013, 09:48 PM
By Soccer505 in forum Workout ProgramsReplies: 5Last Post: 02-26-2010, 02:38 PM
By bradycook14 in forum Personals - Meet Other BodybuildersReplies: 1Last Post: 05-09-2006, 04:51 PM
By Andalite in forum Workout ProgramsReplies: 62Last Post: 05-06-2006, 02:55 AM
By First Shirt in forum ExercisesReplies: 12Last Post: 12-31-2001, 09:23 AM