Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    To take on a Tough Mudder be prepared to run over rolling hills scattered with military style obstacles, climb up and over walls and run through mud, fire and water. Create a Tough Mudder training program includes running, strength training and race skills to dominate every obstacle along the way.

Run
    Complete at least 2 run workouts per week. Choose from run workouts that include a long run, hill sprints, intervals and tempo runs.

Strength
    Get ready to move your bodyweight over, under, around or through obstacles. Bodyweight exercises such as push-ups and pull-ups can be used to create a foundation of strength. Next, kettlebell swings and explosive movements like jump squats, burpees, and box jumps will help improve balance and leg strength.

Race Skills
    Combine strength and cardio training into one hybrid workout. When possible, workout outdoors or run on trails in a similar setting as the race. To train the skills that will help during the race pair running intervals or sled pushes with bodyweight or kettlebell exercises. If you are able to get your hands on oversized tires or weighted sandbags, this would be the time to flip, carry, or throw them around.

Try this workout:

Warm-up:
    2-4 Rounds
    5x Alternate Lung (each Leg)
    10x BW Squat
    5x Lateral Lunge (each leg)

5 minutes of easy Jog and dynamic movements: High-knees, Butt-kicks, Bounding, Reverse Run, etc.

Training:
    Run @ 400m
    25x KB Swing
    Run @ 400m
    Tire Flip @ 25 yards
    Run @ 400m
    25x KB Thruster
    Run @ 400m
    50x Push-up

Repeat 3-5 times, and then cool down.

check out www{dot}racedaydomination{dot}com or email me joe@hybridathlete.org for more obstacle race training tips
    Joe Vennare
    Hybrid Athlete

www.racedaydomination.com
    www.thehybridathlete.com
    www.kettlebellcardio.org

dbman4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbman4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbman4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbman4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbman4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbman4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbman4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbman4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbman4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbman4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbman4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Doing my first one in Toronto this August!!

Hopsinrapper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hopsinrapper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hopsinrapper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hopsinrapper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hopsinrapper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hopsinrapper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hopsinrapper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hopsinrapper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hopsinrapper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hopsinrapper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hopsinrapper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    All the advice here is helpful

doggeth2004 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Food

Great post!
    Just wanted to ask whether anyone had any thoughts about food before Tough Mudder? Ie lots of carbs day or night before? Lots of carbs or less on the morning of race etc??

And then after the race are we looking at a eat what you want as a reward situation? I presume it's license for a few beers and burgers after 3-4 hours of obstacles!

Got first one coming up next month!
    Thanks

hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you are planning to take on a Tough Mudder prepare yourself for a 5-10k course over rolling hills, scattered with military style obstacles like rope ascents and wall climbs; finished off with mud, fire, and water hazards.

Tough Mudder Training
    Design a Tough Mudder training program that will increase strength relative to bodyweight, cardiovascular stamina and race specific skills. Use the baseline training program at racedaydomination.com as a template for creating your training schedule.

Run
    Complete at least 2 run workouts per week. Choose from run workouts that include a long run, hill sprints, intervals and tempo runs.

Strength
    Get ready to move your bodyweight over, under, around or through obstacles. Bodyweight exercises such as push-ups and pull-ups can be used to create a foundation of strength. Next, kettlebell swings and explosive movements like jump squats, burpees, and box jumps will help improve balance and leg strength.

Race Skills
    Combine strength and cardio training into one hybrid workout. Take these workouts outdoors to alter your training environment and mimic the setting of the race. To train race specific skills pair running intervals or sled pushes with bodyweight or kettlebell exercises. If you are able to get your hands on oversized tires or weighted sandbags, this would be the time to flip, carry, or throw them around.

Try one of these workouts from Race Day Domination, a 12 week obstacle race training program

Workout 1:
    3 Rounds for time
    12x Box Jumps
    24x Kettlebell Swings
    Rest @ 30-60 sec (1-2 minutes after round 3)

3 rounds for time
    12x Burpee
    24x Weighted Step-up
    Rest @ 30-60 sec (1-2 minutes after round 3)

Then,
    2 Rounds
    Isolated Squat hold @ 60 seconds
    Farmers Carry @ 50 yards
    Bear Crawl @ 50 yards
    Run @ 200m
    Rest 1-3 minutes

Workout 2:
    3-5 Rounds
    Weighted Sled Push @ 50 yards
    Run 400m
    20x Kettlebell Swing
    Weighted Sled Pull @ 50 yards
    Run 400m
    20x KB Thruster
    Weighted Sled Bear Crawl @ 50 yards
    Run 400m
    20x KB Swings
    Weighted Sled Backwards Drag
    Run 400m
    20x KB Thruster

Workout 3:
    12 Rounds
    12x Bodyweight Squat
    6x Lunge (each leg)
    6x Jump Lunge (each leg)
    6x Jump Squat

Rest 2-3 minutes, then

Find a steep hill that takes 45-90 seconds to climb
    Run hill @ maximum effort, walk or jog back to starting point
    15x Kettlebell Swing
    15x Kettlebell Thruster
    Repeat 8-10x

Good luck with your training and race.
    Joe Vennare
    Hybrid Athlete

www.racedaydomination.com
    www.thehybridathlete.com
    www.kettlebellcardio.org

Woolmanizer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Mudder Training

This post has been great, and has definitely helped me generate some ideas about training.

In April I signed up for the Toronto Mudder in August. Since then I have been training quite consistently and have had some positive results in stamina, strength and body composition. I started off about 220 and am now hovering around 210. Goal is to get under my wedding day weight of 198 (the Mudder is on my 5th year anniversary).

My training initially consisted of intervals on a treadmill followed by strength training that focussed on push/pull. Changed that up to incorporate more intensity/higher HR and worked out in one of two ways (example is back): (i) do 3-4 sets of pull-ups to failure, with less than a minute rest in between, followed by a 5 min run on the treadmill - do 3-4 different exercises (inverted rows, deadlifts, whatever) with the run in between; and (ii) superset of pull-ups and an ab exercise followed by 2 mins on the treadmill or rowing machine, 3x each - aim for 5 - 6 rounds so you do two different back exercises.

Liked the results I was getting, but needed to focus a bit more on the cardio since all I was doing was HIIT type training. Found the Navy Seal workout and have started to do that to change things up - 2-3 mile run to start at 8:30 mile pace, followed by 5 tri-sets of: 20x pushups, 15x situps, 10x pullups, with one minute of rest in between each tri-set. This has been great for quick workouts during the workweek when free time isn't all that available. Goal is to get the runs up to 5+ miles at the same pace, then whittling down the time. I have been skipping the swimming for now since I have always been a decent swimmer and I don't think any of the swim challenges look all that tough.

If I could get out and do more functional training with tires, hills and jungle gym equipment I would, but that isn't practical living right downtown, so I have had to focus on what I can do in a gym. Have a few buddies on my team and the plan is to do trail runs mixed with bodyweight exercises in between once a week when we can.

With 8+ weeks to go before race-day I'm more motivated than ever to kick the workouts into high-gear, but have to get more legs incorporated since I've been focussing more on the runs. Our first obstacle is running up a ski hill so I can't wait too long to start training for that.

If anyone has other techniques/ideas for use in a typical gym setting please post. There's no such thing as too much wisdom.

taiga1 is a name known to all. (+5000) taiga1 is a name known to all. (+5000) taiga1 is a name known to all. (+5000) taiga1 is a name known to all. (+5000) taiga1 is a name known to all. (+5000) taiga1 is a name known to all. (+5000) taiga1 is a name known to all. (+5000) taiga1 is a name known to all. (+5000) taiga1 is a name known to all. (+5000) taiga1 is a name known to all. (+5000) taiga1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Great thread!!! I've pre-registered for the Tough Mudder in the Nashville area, May 2013. I've been weight training for about 2 years...just got into running in October and have run a few half marathons between Dec-Apr. The 'just running' can get a bit tedious, so I'm looking foward to the added challenge of the obstacles. I'm running a MuddyBuddy (4.5 mi with 10-12 obstacles) this Saturday and I've registered for a Warrior Dash (~5K with obstacles) in Sept. I'm hoping those will give me a feel for what the Tough Mudder is all about...or do they not even compare??? Has anyone out there done both?
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." ~Philippians 4:13

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." ~Henry David Thoreau

#wwbfd...What Would Bella Falconi Do?

"Taking chances...in fitness and in life"
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150926823

jonep559 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wonderful post guy really precise how to train upward.

f1ghter33 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f1ghter33 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f1ghter33 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f1ghter33 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f1ghter33 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f1ghter33 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f1ghter33 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f1ghter33 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f1ghter33 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f1ghter33 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f1ghter33 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    nice share !!
    You come in peace, but you go back in pieces

steelburgh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelburgh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelburgh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelburgh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelburgh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelburgh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelburgh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelburgh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelburgh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steelburgh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Excellent tips folks!

I'm doing my first Tough Mudder at the end of October. I've been doing the Lifetime Boot Camp class for about 3 months and plan to keep doing it. I also do some weight training, so I feel like I'm ready for the obstacles. My big fear is my running endurance. It, quite frankly, stinks. I can only do about a mile on the treadmill before I'm gassed. Then I need to walk a quarter mile or more before I can start jogging again. And I don't even go that fast. Since I still have about 3 months left, I'm hoping to get better by then. I also have a few 5k mud runs/obstacle runs I've signed up for as well in the meantime, so those may help me prepare mentally.

Wish me luck!

mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Was planning on doing this again next year but can't see spending $95 for early registration, that doesn't include tax or the fact that the Ohio race charges an extra $10 for parking.
    Anyone know of a similiar race that isn't over-priced?

dotcomken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been doing Crossfit for 7 weeks now to train for the rugged maniac 5k. I am registered for the Boston 2013 TM. The maniac will be a good prep race for the longer TM. Thanks for your insights into the race.

LaDonnaMF is a name known to all. (+5000) LaDonnaMF is a name known to all. (+5000) LaDonnaMF is a name known to all. (+5000) LaDonnaMF is a name known to all. (+5000) LaDonnaMF is a name known to all. (+5000) LaDonnaMF is a name known to all. (+5000) LaDonnaMF is a name known to all. (+5000) LaDonnaMF is a name known to all. (+5000) LaDonnaMF is a name known to all. (+5000) LaDonnaMF is a name known to all. (+5000) LaDonnaMF is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by dotcomken View Post
    I've been doing Crossfit for 7 weeks now to train for the rugged maniac 5k. I am registered for the Boston 2013 TM. The maniac will be a good prep race for the longer TM. Thanks for your insights into the race.
    Incorporating any running into your training? I want to sign up for Boston 2013... trying to get together a group :-)

Revenix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Revenix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Revenix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Revenix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Revenix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Revenix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Revenix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Revenix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Revenix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Revenix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Revenix will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I did the Warrior Dash in March and I'm doing the Spartan Race in December. I would love to do Tough Mudder but there are none close to me as of now. :-(

My number one tip would be to have that gas tank ready to go! I thought I would smoke the obstacles but when you're sucking wind from all the running you're pretty much shot. I've had a couple friends do Tough Mudder and their bodies were SHOT for the next couple days. Good luck!

wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Why would you rely on LONG runs? If it is total body you need to do total body cardio. I would alternate runs (short and long but no more than 8 or 9 miles) with barbell complexes and do plenty of total body strength training.

Monday: compounds and complexes + max bodyweight squats/chins/dips
    tuesday: sprints
    wed - off
    thursday shorter compound workout and some complexes/ max chins/ dips
    friday - 5k paced
    saturday - long
    sunday - off

You could do this for 3-4 weeks then take a week to test your running fitness on a wed, rest of the week off for recovery with some quick, easy stuff and repeat.

If someone has an issue with recovery they can switch it up for more rest between workouts

1: Deadlifts/bench work ..max chins 2 sets, max dips 2 sets + complex + sprint run
    2: off
    3: 5k and maybe some moderate swim.
    4: off
    5: squat/bench/cleans... max chins/dips 2 sets, complex work
    6: sat long run
    7: off

EDIT: a barebell complex is a series of exercises you can do back to back using a light barbell. doing all with as little rest as possible for a few rounds.

1: power clean to front squat
    2: jerk press
    3: rows
    4: high pulls
    etc etc
    Last edited by wanaBsedated; 08-30-2012 at 06:14 PM.
    Mirin'triceps peak? Thanks westside barbell.

Gettin'older, studying MMA in Brazil gonna fight soon, on my own crew.

wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by LaDonnaMF View Post
    Incorporating any running into your training? I want to sign up for Boston 2013... trying to get together a group :-)
    I will do it

Honey86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Honey86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Honey86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Honey86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Honey86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Honey86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Honey86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Honey86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Honey86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Honey86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Honey86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    This is an awesome post! I'm training for the Tough Mudder in Tampa, FL in December. Apparently in this one there will be a new obstacle which combines the arctic enema, the electroshock, and the kiss of mud....lol.
    ~Celina~
    I'm on ********'s Bodybuilding.com group!

sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sugicalmike is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Honey86 View Post
    This is an awesome post! I'm training for the Tough Mudder in Tampa, FL in December. Apparently in this one there will be a new obstacle which combines the arctic enema, the electroshock, and the kiss of mud....lol.
    12 mile run? Easy enough.

Obstacles? Psssh, whatever.

Ice water? Too easy.

Electric currents? Hated that almost more than anything I have ever experienced before!

On a positive note though, it was extremely fun I did the Austin TM this past weekend!
    "The gods of the valleys are not the gods of the mountains"
    -U.S. Army Mountain Warfare School motto

ESP365 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

5 Week Extreme Workout Program for the Tough Mudder

Here is a Great Workout Program for the Tough Mudder, Warrior Dash, Spartan Race, etc......this will most certainly prepare you for these events!
    Attached Files

i dunno why you would do the posted routine

from what i gather from this race you do a lot of anaerobic stuff

I think you would benefit more from 2-3 sessions of sprints, one long run a week maybe alternating a 5/10 k for time.

and total body conditioning using circuits designed for conditioning, while cutting your weights down to basics...

monday
    pull ups - nax rep training
    bench press 5 rep max
    grip work
    core
    sprints

Tuesday hill drills

Heavy drillls on wed: javorek complexes or kettlebells, or be more creative... just a conditioning circuit

thursday: rest: maybe recovery work

friday
    Pull ups
    squats 5 rep max
    box jumps
    core
    sprints

saturday: long run

if you were dead set on long runs as your staple i would do more box jumps and at least some 100 yard dashes

every fourth week I would cut out heavy conditioning and do abbreviated lifting and just do some aerobic work with maybe one sprint workout on friday
    Last edited by wanaBsedated; 02-02-2013 at 03:35 PM.

ESP365 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This 5 week program is designed more for the 5K-10K races that are offered through the rugged maniac, warrior dash, spartan race, etc....

Add5048 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am running in the June 1st one in Philly. thank for all this info.

mosayf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mosayf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mosayf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mosayf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mosayf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mosayf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mosayf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mosayf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mosayf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mosayf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mosayf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    great article thank's

cheap dumbbells set

ak323401 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Google "tough mudder training pdf". The first hit is your guide. Follow that workout three days a week, run the other three. When running, start off with one mile for the first week and work your way up to two the second, etc. I only find it necessary to train for about 4-8 weeks tops before the event. Any more and you risk injury, burnout, etc. Sunday is your recovery day. As far as diet, eat healthy. Whole wheat, veggies/fruit, and protein. Lots of water.

Oh, and don't forget to have FUN!

4x Mudder - We Go H.A.M.

fawad213 is not very well liked. (-100) fawad213 is not very well liked. (-100) fawad213 is not very well liked. (-100) fawad213 is not very well liked. (-100) fawad213 is not very well liked. (-100) fawad213 is not very well liked. (-100) fawad213 is not very well liked. (-100) fawad213 is not very well liked. (-100) fawad213 is not very well liked. (-100) fawad213 is not very well liked. (-100) fawad213 is not very well liked. (-100)
    I wanna try it but i am scared, i don't think i am physically strong enough yet.