Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ksig113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ksig113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ksig113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ksig113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ksig113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ksig113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ksig113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ksig113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ksig113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ksig113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ksig113 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good luck to all going for Tough Mudder. I've done two mud runs this year and have one more planned in Sept before I go for Tough Mudder when it comes to North Texas next year.

Have any of you checked out Spartan Race? I'm considering this after Tough Mudder. They have three levels of difficulty with the highest called Spartan Death, which is 48 hours long and by invite only.

http://www.spartanrace.com/

SR365 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Tough Mudder Article

This is fantastic information. Great tips by everyone.

I'm targeting my 1st Tough Mudder at Wintergreen Resort in Virginia in October 2012. Found a great intro article on the DINKlife site that looks like they're trying to get a team together (specifically, couples without kids) - check it out.

Happy training everyone!

SharkLaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SharkLaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SharkLaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SharkLaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SharkLaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SharkLaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SharkLaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SharkLaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SharkLaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SharkLaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SharkLaser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    great info

SupermotoChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) SupermotoChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) SupermotoChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) SupermotoChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) SupermotoChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) SupermotoChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) SupermotoChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) SupermotoChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) SupermotoChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) SupermotoChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) SupermotoChick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I hadn't heard of the Spartan races. Thanks for sharing.

Beacher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beacher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beacher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beacher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beacher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beacher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beacher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beacher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beacher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beacher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beacher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by djfal View Post
    Hi,

Great post. I really liked your review of the course on your training blog. I am doing the 12 mile Tough Mudder in NJ this Sat and I am starting to feel a bit nervous. I just ran a half marathon in September so I spent my summer running 4-5 days a week and did little strength training. Since September I have been doing the recommended Tough Mudder work out twice a week, running 3 miles at least once a week, and cross-training once a week. However, I can't do a pull up with out using the machine where you can counter your weight. My legs are pretty strong but my upper body is not as strong. Do you think I will be able to make it over the obstacles?

Also any recommendations about what to do this week before the race? I am not sure if I should take it easy and do some light cardio workouts, do strength training, rest??

Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to give me.
    Hey,

I know this is an older post, but I was wondering how you found the Tough Mudder in NJ? I won a wildcard spot in the "World's toughest mudder", it's in NJ, at the same spot, but 24 hours long, performing as many laps as possible non-stop. I've never done a tough mudder (only the smaller warrior dash), so I'm not sure if I should jump in and do it.

SupermotoChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) SupermotoChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) SupermotoChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) SupermotoChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) SupermotoChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) SupermotoChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) SupermotoChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) SupermotoChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) SupermotoChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) SupermotoChick will become famous soon enough. (+50) SupermotoChick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Crazy.. post up if you decide to do it! Im terrified of that.

Still scared of the upcoming race.. but... its paid for. I'm doing it. lol

Beacher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beacher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beacher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beacher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beacher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beacher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beacher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beacher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beacher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beacher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beacher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SupermotoChick View Post
    Crazy.. post up if you decide to do it! Im terrified of that.

Still scared of the upcoming race.. but... its paid for. I'm doing it. lol
    Thanks man! I'm pretty intimidated, but it's a once in a lifetime chance (being randomly picked and all), so I'm torn, looks like it'd be an AWESOME experience, I'm leaning towards doing it.

matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000)
    Wow that's pretty sick that you were able to get in on that 24 hour Toughest Mudder race. I thought that was invite only from when I first started looking at these races. I'm sure they changed things up. Regardless you should definitely do it! You'll always be able to look back and say you did a 24 hour race and know you gave it your all and pushed yourself to what I'm sure will be the ultimate test. I really hope you decide to do it and let us all know how it was. I did the very first Tough Mudder and the memories will always be with me. One of the best tests I put myself through especially because I'm more into weight lifting and hardly do any cardio.
    Amateur Arm Wrestling Training Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134884721

Tough Mudder prep and race journal (May 2nd 2010)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123084423

Originally Posted by matrixsleeper View Post
    Wow that's pretty sick that you were able to get in on that 24 hour Toughest Mudder race. I thought that was invite only from when I first started looking at these races. I'm sure they changed things up. Regardless you should definitely do it! You'll always be able to look back and say you did a 24 hour race and know you gave it your all and pushed yourself to what I'm sure will be the ultimate test. I really hope you decide to do it and let us all know how it was. I did the very first Tough Mudder and the memories will always be with me. One of the best tests I put myself through especially because I'm more into weight lifting and hardly do any cardio.
    Thanks!

The last tipping point on the decision is the water obstacles.. it'll be December in NJ, the historical temperature there is 1 Degree, I emailed tough mudder and they confirmed there will be water obstacles throughout the course... this just sounds retarded to me, being in water 1 degree above freezing, I know the whole point is to be "tough" and it's an extreme race, but I'd think your risking hypothermia at that point. Any how I have to have my decision in by Monday, so we'll see, I'll report back here either way, I really do want to do it.

caffeinetrip has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caffeinetrip has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caffeinetrip has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Tough Mudder Training Video

Here is a video on youtube of my Tough Mudder Training Circuit -

Go to Youtube and search for

"Tough Mudder Circuit"

-J

lstets has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been training for the TM in Squaw in September - I'm so excited about it! I don't know if I'm trained enough to hope to finish top 5% this year but I definitely want to try for it next year because I want to do the Toughest Mudder - that sounds so insane and so fun! Anyway, was googling info tonight and ran across this - so helpful! Thank you for sharing! I've been all over the TM site for training info but to hear from someone who did the course and get an outside perspective on it...really great. thank you so much!

joshbobrowsky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Very Nice Article

tgoeller9081 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tgoeller9081 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Another Suggestion

I just completed the Warrior Dash and am now training for the Tough Mudder in November and can offer something that helped me out. A good way to workout that seems a little unconventional is to keep close to a regular gym routine is to segment your workouts with cardio. For example I usually completed about 6 exercises in a lift session so I would start with a mile of cardio, did 1 or 2 workouts, cardio, etc till I was done. As the race neared I would do 1 Mile between each lift and keep up a pretty intense pace. Didn't prepare me for the elevation though so make sure you take that into account.
    T-GO; "dedication is what lazy people call obsession"

mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Just signed up for the Mi/Oh 2012 race.

Matto313 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Matto313 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Matto313 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Matto313 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Matto313 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Matto313 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Matto313 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Matto313 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Matto313 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Matto313 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Matto313 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by mlandis View Post
    Just signed up for the Mi/Oh 2012 race.
    Im signing up this weekend too.

mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Matto313 View Post
    Im signing up this weekend too.
    Good luck!

tneedham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm about to start the Tough Mudder event in Phoenix, and I think this will be perfect for my training for it. Thanks so much for the input!

DrAllstar90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrAllstar90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrAllstar90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrAllstar90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrAllstar90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrAllstar90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrAllstar90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrAllstar90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrAllstar90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrAllstar90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrAllstar90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm getting ready for the Chicago/Indiana race in November. The more I look into it the more nervous I get. It's going to be out of this world. Every new race is longer and has different obstacles. Should be pretty rowdy.

xboxing has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xboxing has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xboxing has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xboxing has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xboxing has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xboxing has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xboxing has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xboxing has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xboxing has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xboxing has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xboxing has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Dont break it.

Originally Posted by DrAllstar90 View Post
    I'm getting ready for the Chicago/Indiana race in November. The more I look into it the more nervous I get. It's going to be out of this world. Every new race is longer and has different obstacles. Should be pretty rowdy.
    Good luck, post what you think of it. The only thing that has my concern up is jumping in the cold water, I HATE swimming to begin with and not looking forward to swimming in what could be a very cold day in April.

Conman89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    nice post i have been looking for something like this because i am looking to get in a tough mudder event in 2012 however now the courses are 11 or 13 miles. sounds crazy

comings has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) comings has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) comings has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) comings has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) comings has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) comings has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Nice post man very detailed on how to train up

mr.stevej has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

SteveJ

Nice Post. I'm thinking about signing up for the Tough Mudder Pennsylvania, Pocono Manor Sat April 28 & Sun April 29, 2012. Searching all over for different training tips. Should be an awesome time!

kokidpham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kokidpham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kokidpham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kokidpham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kokidpham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kokidpham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kokidpham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kokidpham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kokidpham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kokidpham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kokidpham has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thx for the guide, really appreciate your work

magid will become famous soon enough. (+50) magid will become famous soon enough. (+50) magid will become famous soon enough. (+50) magid will become famous soon enough. (+50) magid will become famous soon enough. (+50) magid will become famous soon enough. (+50) magid will become famous soon enough. (+50) magid will become famous soon enough. (+50) magid will become famous soon enough. (+50) magid will become famous soon enough. (+50) magid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    3 days until tri-state... who else is in for this weekend?

Stexfoelf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Hangover Pills Hangover Supplement

hithopponge photoshopexpresstechniques com/]buy ****** no prescription The medication is most commonly used to treat anxiety, seizures, insomnia, restless leg syndrome, and withdrawal from alcohol, muscle spasms, as well as invasive medical procedures to reduce anxiety as well as tension photoshopexpresstechniques com/ - buy ******

Miscummiviase has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

tall uggs

As the winter season is towards, you must start making cheapuggboot-sale com/]cheap uggs preparations correctly collecting all the necessary things you should require from warm apparel to boots as most of these are must Normal boots do cover you a but do not provide them desired warmth consequently your feet go numb, letting you cheapuggboot-sale com/]cheap uggs outlet down and uneasy constantly *** boots will keep you cozy and let you enjoy with your household in the snow Apart cheapuggboot-sale com/]*** boots from that, they look so stylish they you can carry them on to parties in the process Trendy, comfortable and affordable are some features which make *** Bailey Boots essential buy

Each season brings unique charm with itself If summer cheapuggboot-sale com/]*** boots cheap adds color for your life, winter cheapuggboot-sale com/]*** boots cheap brings love along with happiness to it So do not make it possible for this cheapuggboot-sale com/]cheap *** boots winter go boring and boring Make it as stunning and vibrant as it has been never before Enjoy it to the particular fullest and make most of So go cheapuggboot-sale com/]cheap *** boots and bag your couple of *** boots before that stock lasts As per my check out, your winter collection would remain incomplete if you do not have these boots So go and pick up them now!

It is not uncomplicated for *** boots approved by men, they are cheapuggboot-sale com/]*** boots always accepted as designed only for girls, yet few people know the truth that *** boots cheapuggboot-sale com/]uggs cheap were originally made simply for men Men *** boots isn't rare, celebrities wear men *** footwear too, and they appear naughty Men *** boots is usually a new trend cheapuggboot-sale com/]cheap *** boots now Winter is finally on us, and yet again, the streets are flooded when using the now-ubiquitous cheapuggboot-sale com/]*** boots Discount *** shoes But this year, a change is stirring, as the trend is not just limited cheapuggboot-sale com/]cheapuggboot-sale com/ to the particular girls A host of guy celebrities including Ronnie Timber and Brad Pitt have been spotted in the sheepskin footwear, which were, till now, a wardrobe staple of women from WAGs for you to office workers cheapuggboot-sale com/]cheapuggboot-sale com/
    742051163fc1f2e1ae1334d01be6a6a25

NoBox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I did the Indiana event on November 19th. It was a lot of fun and very cold. I would recommend a lot of running and extra weight while you run.

The first few miles were easy until your feet get the extra weight of mud and soaking wet. This makes it a lot harder to run your normal pace. I also recommend doing it with a friend. Everyone is very helpful but it is nice to have help from a friend on some of the obstacles and motivation.

The cold water actually makes your body numb and gives you extra energy. The best obstacles are the Chernobyl Jacuzzi and the plank jump. The water is so cold it is difficult to breathe when you get out.

wuwe is not very well liked. (-100) wuwe is not very well liked. (-100) wuwe is not very well liked. (-100) wuwe is not very well liked. (-100) wuwe is not very well liked. (-100) wuwe is not very well liked. (-100) wuwe is not very well liked. (-100) wuwe is not very well liked. (-100) wuwe is not very well liked. (-100) wuwe is not very well liked. (-100) wuwe is not very well liked. (-100)
    nice, very detailed

hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Training for an obstacle course race like Tough Mudder or Spartan Race should include workouts that are focused on strength, cardio, and race specific skills. I have competed in a number of obstacle races, triathlon, and ultra marathon and found this type of training to be most effective.
    Your main training goals should be to:
    • Increase strength relative to bodyweight, cardiovascular and muscular stamina, durability, and mental toughness
    • Learn, execute, and improve efficient biomechanics of functional movements like running, lifting, climbing, jumping, and landing
    • Develop core strength and stability through functional, compound movements
    • Improve balance, lower limb strength, and muscular recruitment and coordination under weight-bearing loads

Look to include compound, functional movements like Olympic lifts. Train under a weight-bearing load, over an extended period of time completing resisted runs, sprints, hill climbs, and stadium stairs. Finally, train skills specific to the race including relative strength, grip strength, core strength/stability, dynamic, unilateral, and non-linear movement, transfer of force/power, and transport a load.

Some workout suggestions include:

Strength Training:
    Olympic and compound movements utilizing a barbell: Deadlift, Front/Back/Overhead Squat, Power Clean, Snatch, Bench Press, Overhead/Push Press

Bodyweight exercises: squat, lunge, push-up, pull-up, dips

Loaded bodyweight exercise: adding weight/an additional load to pull-ups and dips

Kettlebells: in the strength training category kettlebells are paired with Olympic or compound movements during circuits that incorporate a heavier weight and fewer repetitions

Cardiovascular conditioning: Even if you are not a runner or endurance athlete, cardiovascular exercise still needs to be factored into your training program. In addition to some longer distance efforts try interval training.

High Intensity Intervals: working at or near max effort to fatigue the muscles and lungs. Alternate between periods of all our effort and shorter periods of rest.

Example: 400m all out sprint followed by a rest period that is half the amount of time it took your to complete the 400m sprint. Repeat 6-8 times

Intervals/Hill Sprints/Track Workouts: Mixed work periods from intense effort to low/moderate effort.

Example: Hill sprint that takes 60-90 seconds to complete, then walking or easy jog to start line. Repeat 8-12 times.

Tabata: High intensity working set for 20 seconds followed by 10 seconds of rest. Repeated for 8-12 sets.

Example: Overhead kettlebell swings for 20 seconds, followed by 10 seconds of rest. Repeat 8-12 times.

Try implementing these strategies and feel free to email me at joe@hybridathlete.org for additional workouts.