Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

    The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 145
  1. #1
    Registered User matrixsleeper's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Age: 32
    Stats: 6'0", 174 lbs
    Posts: 277
    Rep Power: 1156
    matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit matrixsleeper's BodySpace
    matrixsleeper is offline

    Tough Mudder Training Tips

    I just finished completing the first Tough Mudder race here in the US and it definitely lives up to the title. www.toughmudder.com. If your not familiar with this event, it's an endurance obstacle course race of about 7 miles or more (depending on which race you do) testing all aspects of fitness. The first race was held in Allentown, PA at the Bear Creak Mountain Resort on May 2nd. Temperature for the race was about 85 degrees. I decided to write this article because this is a new event that is gaining popularity and when I first started to train for it I could barely find any useful tips on how to train so I had to experiment on my own and after the race the following is what I came with.

    How long should I train?
    If your planning to do this event you want to give yourself a good 8-12 weeks with about 4-5 days a week of training.

    What should my training split be?
    You want to get in 2 long gym sessions with about 3 long runs. A recommended split would be, Monday/Wednesday - Gym workout, Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday - Long run.

    How should I train for my runs?
    You should try and find yourself some trails with good elevation changes and increase how many miles you do each week. First week of training try for 2 miles each run, next week try for 2.5 or 3. Just keep increasing to get your cardio up and use to running. For this particular race it was 7 miles total. Being able to do 5 miles comfortably would be sufficient.

    How should I train in the gym?
    Assuming you have a gym membership, You want to keep your gym sessions as close to what you'd be doing to the race. At first you should be in there for an hour with 45 second rest between sets. As the weeks progress, Try for 1.5 hours with 35 second rests and eventually the final weeks, 1.75 hours with 30 seconds rest between sets.

    What are the main muscles I'll be using in the race?
    I'll list the order of importance from top to bottom for the particular race which had a lot of mountain and uneven terrain.
    1) Quads
    2) Calves
    3) Biceps
    4) Forearms
    5) Back
    6) Abs

    Secondary muscles were
    7) Hamstring
    8) Shoulders

    Lastly are muscles that you should train but not nearly at the level of importance are
    9) Chest
    10) Triceps

    What are some key exercises I should focus on?
    When your in the gym, these are the exercises you should train hard that will really help in your race.
    1) Stairmaster/Step Machine - This will emulate the hills and are a key component in your training.
    2) Deep Squats - If your race has black diamond mountains (extremely steep) This will help give you the power to dig into those hills and push up and onward.
    3) Calf raises/Seat calf raises - Focus on alot of reps to get your calves conditioned.
    4) Pullups - The most important upper body exercise you will need for this race. Will build your back, biceps and forearm strength.
    5) Bicep curls - After each rep try and do a static hold for 5 seconds to build good endurance.
    6) Ab circuit - Try and do a 10 minute ab routine that contains a variety of movements with no rest

    For most of these workouts use your body weight and just keep increasing the reps. If you feel you get stuck at some points, incorporate a heavier weight and try and get the reps up to where they were and keep on pushing.

    What's a good sample routine?
    Warm up on the eliptical for about 10 minutes, Proceed by doing a upper body routine,
    Pullups - 5 sets
    Dips - 3 sets
    Chinups - 3 sets
    Pushups - 3 sets
    Shoulder press - 3 sets
    Bicep curls - 4 sets
    Stairmaster - 20-30 minutes
    Ab routine - 10 minutes
    Inclined jog on treadmill - 5 to 10 minutes
    Warm down stretch.

    What Should I wear for the race?
    Lycra/spandex style clothing (under armour style gear) will keep you dryer than cotton and more maneuverability. Trail shoes you can wear with no socks. Try and wear items that will cover your knees and elbows to protect from scrapes.

    What Should I eat before the race?
    Last few days before the race try and eat salty foods or foods you like but add some salt. You want to keep a high sodium diet to help retain a lot of water so you wont get as dehydrated for the race. Try and eat carb heavy foods the night before and in the morning try and do a light breakfast, a bagel or some oatmeal 3 hours before the race is a good example. Drink plenty of water and gatorade the day before the race.

    Last point I can make is during the race remember to keep a good pace, if you need to take a walk break then definitely do it but keep moving. I witnessed too many people try and run up the hills to only be seen by a medic needing oxygen half way up and having to get pulled from the race. People were gassed by the time to got to certain sections and couldn't finish. If you pace yourself and push through the pain you will finish.

    I have a training journal up but I would take a look at it just to see all the different things I tried in preparation for this event. I wouldn't really follow it too much because I wasn't sure what to do like I said before and it was all experimentation. It's only after the race that I know now what I should've done and concentrated on. My last few workouts though I felt I was pretty spot on. Hope this was a helpful article to any future tough mudders out there looking for some insight on what to expect.

    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=123084423
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User LivinUnlucky's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2010
    Location: South Webster, Ohio, United States
    Age: 27
    Stats: 5'8", 205 lbs
    Posts: 80
    Rep Power: 5
    LivinUnlucky is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LivinUnlucky is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LivinUnlucky is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LivinUnlucky is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LivinUnlucky is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LivinUnlucky is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LivinUnlucky is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LivinUnlucky is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Visit LivinUnlucky's BodySpace
    LivinUnlucky is offline
    Nice post man very detailed on how to train up
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User m6amba's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2010
    Age: 30
    Stats: 5'10", 210 lbs
    Posts: 5
    Rep Power: 0
    m6amba is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit m6amba's BodySpace
    m6amba is offline
    I was also in this race, and I agree with matrixsleeper's recommended training tips.

    I also agree with the statement that, you need to keep moving!
    my teammate and I took several long walk breaks, but we never stopped moving, and as a result we finished in much better time than we had planned (we are both overweight, and out of shape, but too stubborn/stupid to quit)

    congrats matrixsleeper!!
    will you be doing the November edition?
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User matrixsleeper's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Age: 32
    Stats: 6'0", 174 lbs
    Posts: 277
    Rep Power: 1156
    matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit matrixsleeper's BodySpace
    matrixsleeper is offline
    Originally Posted by m6amba View Post
    I was also in this race, and I agree with matrixsleeper's recommended training tips.

    I also agree with the statement that, you need to keep moving!
    my teammate and I took several long walk breaks, but we never stopped moving, and as a result we finished in much better time than we had planned (we are both overweight, and out of shape, but too stubborn/stupid to quit)

    congrats matrixsleeper!!
    will you be doing the November edition?
    I know a lot of guys at my job that want to do the November race but I'm really not an endurance runner and enjoyed the race way more than the training for it. It was nice to try something different but I really hate endurance training. I'm all about heavier weights less reps.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User djfal's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Age: 32
    Posts: 1
    Rep Power: 0
    djfal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    djfal is offline

    Advice

    Hi,

    Great post. I really liked your review of the course on your training blog. I am doing the 12 mile Tough Mudder in NJ this Sat and I am starting to feel a bit nervous. I just ran a half marathon in September so I spent my summer running 4-5 days a week and did little strength training. Since September I have been doing the recommended Tough Mudder work out twice a week, running 3 miles at least once a week, and cross-training once a week. However, I can't do a pull up with out using the machine where you can counter your weight. My legs are pretty strong but my upper body is not as strong. Do you think I will be able to make it over the obstacles?

    Also any recommendations about what to do this week before the race? I am not sure if I should take it easy and do some light cardio workouts, do strength training, rest??

    Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to give me.
    Last edited by djfal; 11-16-2010 at 01:05 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User Jgray1319's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2010
    Location: United States
    Age: 25
    Stats: 6'3", 168 lbs
    Posts: 135
    Rep Power: 5
    Jgray1319 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jgray1319 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Visit Jgray1319's BodySpace
    Jgray1319 is offline
    Sounds like fun
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User tse's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2007
    Location: Osaka, Takatsuki, Japan
    Age: 25
    Stats: 5'9", 138 lbs
    Posts: 1,398
    BodyPoints: 5037
    Rep Power: 300
    tse has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tse has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tse has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tse has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tse has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tse has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tse has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tse has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tse has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tse has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tse has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit tse's BodySpace
    tse is offline
    Really interesting post - people should write like this more often as it's really tough knowing what to expect with this kind of thing! Repped.
    Pain is Weakness Leaving The Body

    What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User matrixsleeper's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Age: 32
    Stats: 6'0", 174 lbs
    Posts: 277
    Rep Power: 1156
    matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit matrixsleeper's BodySpace
    matrixsleeper is offline
    Originally Posted by tse View Post
    Really interesting post - people should write like this more often as it's really tough knowing what to expect with this kind of thing! Repped.
    Thanks! Are you planning on entering an upcoming tough mudder race?
    Amateur Arm Wrestling Training Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134884721

    Tough Mudder prep and race journal (May 2nd 2010)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123084423
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User TonyMuscoli's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States
    Age: 30
    Posts: 54
    Rep Power: 41
    TonyMuscoli has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TonyMuscoli has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TonyMuscoli has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TonyMuscoli has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TonyMuscoli has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TonyMuscoli has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TonyMuscoli has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TonyMuscoli has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TonyMuscoli has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TonyMuscoli has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TonyMuscoli has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Visit TonyMuscoli's BodySpace
    TonyMuscoli is offline
    Originally Posted by matrixsleeper View Post
    I know a lot of guys at my job that want to do the November race but I'm really not an endurance runner and enjoyed the race way more than the training for it. It was nice to try something different but I really hate endurance training. I'm all about heavier weights less reps.
    I HEEEARD THAT! I'll be at Tough Mudder this weekend and the only training I've been doing is the lifting. Everybody knows that is all that really matters.
    Gettin' Huge, End of Story.
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User terry917's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Location: Bradenton, Florida, United States
    Age: 62
    Stats: 6'1", 181 lbs
    Posts: 112
    Rep Power: 274
    terry917 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) terry917 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) terry917 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) terry917 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) terry917 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) terry917 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) terry917 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) terry917 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) terry917 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) terry917 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) terry917 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit terry917's BodySpace
    terry917 is offline

    This is solid!

    I've been asked about this program and knew little. Matrix has put together a darn good informative thread. This provides a good understanding and background of the event and what it takes to prepare. Thanks man for taking the time with this. God bless!

    Originally Posted by matrixsleeper View Post
    I just finished completing the first Tough Mudder race here in the US and it definitely lives up to the title. www.toughmudder.com. If your not familiar with this event, it's an endurance obstacle course race of about 7 miles or more (depending on which race you do) testing all aspects of fitness. The first race was held in Allentown, PA at the Bear Creak Mountain Resort on May 2nd. Temperature for the race was about 85 degrees. I decided to write this article because this is a new event that is gaining popularity and when I first started to train for it I could barely find any useful tips on how to train so I had to experiment on my own and after the race the following is what I came with.

    How long should I train?
    If your planning to do this event you want to give yourself a good 8-12 weeks with about 4-5 days a week of training.

    What should my training split be?
    You want to get in 2 long gym sessions with about 3 long runs. A recommended split would be, Monday/Wednesday - Gym workout, Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday - Long run.

    How should I train for my runs?
    You should try and find yourself some trails with good elevation changes and increase how many miles you do each week. First week of training try for 2 miles each run, next week try for 2.5 or 3. Just keep increasing to get your cardio up and use to running. For this particular race it was 7 miles total. Being able to do 5 miles comfortably would be sufficient.

    How should I train in the gym?
    Assuming you have a gym membership, You want to keep your gym sessions as close to what you'd be doing to the race. At first you should be in there for an hour with 45 second rest between sets. As the weeks progress, Try for 1.5 hours with 35 second rests and eventually the final weeks, 1.75 hours with 30 seconds rest between sets.

    What are the main muscles I'll be using in the race?
    I'll list the order of importance from top to bottom for the particular race which had a lot of mountain and uneven terrain.
    1) Quads
    2) Calves
    3) Biceps
    4) Forearms
    5) Back
    6) Abs

    Secondary muscles were
    7) Hamstring
    8) Shoulders

    Lastly are muscles that you should train but not nearly at the level of importance are
    9) Chest
    10) Triceps

    What are some key exercises I should focus on?
    When your in the gym, these are the exercises you should train hard that will really help in your race.
    1) Stairmaster/Step Machine - This will emulate the hills and are a key component in your training.
    2) Deep Squats - If your race has black diamond mountains (extremely steep) This will help give you the power to dig into those hills and push up and onward.
    3) Calf raises/Seat calf raises - Focus on alot of reps to get your calves conditioned.
    4) Pullups - The most important upper body exercise you will need for this race. Will build your back, biceps and forearm strength.
    5) Bicep curls - After each rep try and do a static hold for 5 seconds to build good endurance.
    6) Ab circuit - Try and do a 10 minute ab routine that contains a variety of movements with no rest

    For most of these workouts use your body weight and just keep increasing the reps. If you feel you get stuck at some points, incorporate a heavier weight and try and get the reps up to where they were and keep on pushing.

    What's a good sample routine?
    Warm up on the eliptical for about 10 minutes, Proceed by doing a upper body routine,
    Pullups - 5 sets
    Dips - 3 sets
    Chinups - 3 sets
    Pushups - 3 sets
    Shoulder press - 3 sets
    Bicep curls - 4 sets
    Stairmaster - 20-30 minutes
    Ab routine - 10 minutes
    Inclined jog on treadmill - 5 to 10 minutes
    Warm down stretch.

    What Should I wear for the race?
    Lycra/spandex style clothing (under armour style gear) will keep you dryer than cotton and more maneuverability. Trail shoes you can wear with no socks. Try and wear items that will cover your knees and elbows to protect from scrapes.

    What Should I eat before the race?
    Last few days before the race try and eat salty foods or foods you like but add some salt. You want to keep a high sodium diet to help retain a lot of water so you wont get as dehydrated for the race. Try and eat carb heavy foods the night before and in the morning try and do a light breakfast, a bagel or some oatmeal 3 hours before the race is a good example. Drink plenty of water and gatorade the day before the race.

    Last point I can make is during the race remember to keep a good pace, if you need to take a walk break then definitely do it but keep moving. I witnessed too many people try and run up the hills to only be seen by a medic needing oxygen half way up and having to get pulled from the race. People were gassed by the time to got to certain sections and couldn't finish. If you pace yourself and push through the pain you will finish.

    I have a training journal up but I would take a look at it just to see all the different things I tried in preparation for this event. I wouldn't really follow it too much because I wasn't sure what to do like I said before and it was all experimentation. It's only after the race that I know now what I should've done and concentrated on. My last few workouts though I felt I was pretty spot on. Hope this was a helpful article to any future tough mudders out there looking for some insight on what to expect.

    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=123084423
    Terry Hill MSE Physiology/CPT/Sport Nutrionist-AFPA

    "Quality of life depends on the amount of willingness in the effort!"
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Registered User matrixsleeper's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Age: 32
    Stats: 6'0", 174 lbs
    Posts: 277
    Rep Power: 1156
    matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit matrixsleeper's BodySpace
    matrixsleeper is offline
    Originally Posted by djfal View Post
    Hi,

    Great post. I really liked your review of the course on your training blog. I am doing the 12 mile Tough Mudder in NJ this Sat and I am starting to feel a bit nervous. I just ran a half marathon in September so I spent my summer running 4-5 days a week and did little strength training. Since September I have been doing the recommended Tough Mudder work out twice a week, running 3 miles at least once a week, and cross-training once a week. However, I can't do a pull up with out using the machine where you can counter your weight. My legs are pretty strong but my upper body is not as strong. Do you think I will be able to make it over the obstacles?

    Also any recommendations about what to do this week before the race? I am not sure if I should take it easy and do some light cardio workouts, do strength training, rest??

    Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to give me.
    You seem like a seasoned runner so I'm sure you'll do good. As far as the upper body training goes you might have a hard time on some of the obstacles and I wouldn't start any upper body training this close to the race. Right now you should be resting up so your at your best this Saturday. BUT there are a few things you can take to help push through some of the more physical obstacles. Purple Wraath, Purple Intrain, or Extend are very good products that allow you to push your body even further during a training session and can apply to this type of race.

    If you really want to go nuts and attack the sh!t out of the course for the first half then I would even take a pre-workout supplement like Jack3d 30 minutes before the race and see about getting some kind of portable water bottle you can keep on your hip that you can sip the other stuff (purple wraath, etc).

    Jack3d will give you a big boost of energy and focus and you'll feel great and then drinking Purple Wraath or one of those other supplements during the race will help you to keep going strong and fight fatigue. Purple Wraath I've used personally and everyone that I know thats tried it love it. A guy at my job was training for the Tough Mudder we did and was having a hard time getting to 3 miles. Once he starting drinking Purple Wraath he told me he was able to do 4 miles easy and felt great afterwards. GOOD LUCK!
    Amateur Arm Wrestling Training Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134884721

    Tough Mudder prep and race journal (May 2nd 2010)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123084423
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Registered User Biohazardous22's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Minnesota, United States
    Age: 25
    Stats: 6'0", 200 lbs
    Posts: 247
    Rep Power: 71
    Biohazardous22 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Biohazardous22 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Biohazardous22 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Biohazardous22 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Biohazardous22 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Biohazardous22 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Biohazardous22 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Biohazardous22 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Biohazardous22 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Biohazardous22 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Biohazardous22 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit Biohazardous22's BodySpace
    Biohazardous22 is offline

    Thumbs up

    I ran something similar called the Mud Run, just so happened to be Twin Cities Mud Run where I was, a race to raise money for MS. Anyways definatly one of the most physicaly demanding races I have ever done. Good write up I suggest anyone who is wanting to challenge themselves should do at least one.
    Reply With Quote

  13. #13
    Registered User ghaklar's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2005
    Location: Coopersburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Age: 25
    Stats: 5'11", 227 lbs
    Posts: 70
    BodyPoints: 676
    Rep Power: 15
    ghaklar is a name known to all. (+5000) ghaklar is a name known to all. (+5000) ghaklar is a name known to all. (+5000) ghaklar is a name known to all. (+5000) ghaklar is a name known to all. (+5000) ghaklar is a name known to all. (+5000) ghaklar is a name known to all. (+5000) ghaklar is a name known to all. (+5000) ghaklar is a name known to all. (+5000) ghaklar is a name known to all. (+5000) ghaklar is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit ghaklar's BodySpace
    ghaklar is offline
    Good luck to my fellow bb.com Tough Mudders this weekend. I can't wait to compete this weekend.
    Reply With Quote

  14. #14
    Registered User bethtwenty4's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2010
    Location: Starkville, Mississippi, United States
    Age: 30
    Stats: 5'4", 132 lbs
    Posts: 1,487
    Rep Power: 389
    bethtwenty4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bethtwenty4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bethtwenty4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bethtwenty4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bethtwenty4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bethtwenty4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bethtwenty4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bethtwenty4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bethtwenty4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bethtwenty4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bethtwenty4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit bethtwenty4's BodySpace
    bethtwenty4 is offline

    Thumbs up

    Tough Mudder rocks! I did the NorCal last month and am gonna get the season pass for 2011!! The obstacles weren't hard and having a team makes it easier/way more fun. We are doing the SoCal together in May. First day as a team, second day racing each other. Altitude was the toughest part so if that's a factor where you will be racing DEFINITELY try to train for that. HAVE FUN!
    Reply With Quote

  15. #15
    Registered User savagereed's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 29
    Stats: 5'9", 161 lbs
    Posts: 15
    Rep Power: 0
    savagereed is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit savagereed's BodySpace
    savagereed is offline
    thanks for the training tips. I've done a handful of mud runs this past year and the Tough Mudder (Socal) looks to be the most strenuous of the bunch. I'm starting my tough mudder training come January, my goal is to be in the top 5%.
    Reply With Quote

  16. #16
    Registered User tse's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2007
    Location: Osaka, Takatsuki, Japan
    Age: 25
    Stats: 5'9", 138 lbs
    Posts: 1,398
    BodyPoints: 5037
    Rep Power: 300
    tse has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tse has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tse has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tse has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tse has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tse has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tse has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tse has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tse has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tse has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tse has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit tse's BodySpace
    tse is offline
    Originally Posted by matrixsleeper View Post
    Thanks! Are you planning on entering an upcoming tough mudder race?
    Well I'm from England but was hoping to do a tough guy or something similar, like assault course/ run soon. How's the training coming on?
    Pain is Weakness Leaving The Body

    What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger
    Reply With Quote

  17. #17
    Registered User matrixsleeper's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Age: 32
    Stats: 6'0", 174 lbs
    Posts: 277
    Rep Power: 1156
    matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit matrixsleeper's BodySpace
    matrixsleeper is offline
    Originally Posted by tse View Post
    Well I'm from England but was hoping to do a tough guy or something similar, like assault course/ run soon. How's the training coming on?
    Actually I switched gears completely. been getting into arm wrestling and have been training for that. My workouts have been getting stale but once I started to train for arm wrestling my motivation has gone through the roof. I've always wanted to get into it but never was sure how but I did some research and it's been great. I even train with a group of experienced pros about once a week.

    I might think about doing another tough mudder race if I can get alot of people together for it.
    Amateur Arm Wrestling Training Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134884721

    Tough Mudder prep and race journal (May 2nd 2010)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123084423
    Reply With Quote

  18. #18
    Focus mlandis's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Ohio, United States
    Age: 49
    Stats: 5'4", 147 lbs
    Posts: 908
    Rep Power: 296
    mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit mlandis's BodySpace
    mlandis is offline
    Good tips, plan on being at the Indiania one in 2011.
    It stresses team work. Can you give me a clue as to why? A buddy will be doing it with me so we want to plan our training accordingly.
    Reply With Quote

  19. #19
    Registered User matrixsleeper's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Age: 32
    Stats: 6'0", 174 lbs
    Posts: 277
    Rep Power: 1156
    matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit matrixsleeper's BodySpace
    matrixsleeper is offline
    Originally Posted by mlandis View Post
    Good tips, plan on being at the Indiania one in 2011.
    It stresses team work. Can you give me a clue as to why? A buddy will be doing it with me so we want to plan our training accordingly.
    The whole teamwork aspect I think is geared more towards motivation. If you're doing the race with a friend and train for it, the last thing you want is to not finish and having somebody there to push you to keep on going can really help. It can also work well if your into friendly competition. I did the race with 2 other friends but wanted to keep pushing because I didn't want to appear to be the weak link so I kept on pushing but it was great to share the experience with people and make it more fun.
    Amateur Arm Wrestling Training Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134884721

    Tough Mudder prep and race journal (May 2nd 2010)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123084423
    Reply With Quote

  20. #20
    Focus mlandis's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Ohio, United States
    Age: 49
    Stats: 5'4", 147 lbs
    Posts: 908
    Rep Power: 296
    mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit mlandis's BodySpace
    mlandis is offline
    Originally Posted by matrixsleeper View Post
    The whole teamwork aspect I think is geared more towards motivation. If you're doing the race with a friend and train for it, the last thing you want is to not finish and having somebody there to push you to keep on going can really help. It can also work well if your into friendly competition. I did the race with 2 other friends but wanted to keep pushing because I didn't want to appear to be the weak link so I kept on pushing but it was great to share the experience with people and make it more fun.
    Thanks. I'm keeping an eye on the schedule to see when there will be one close to Ohio. Looking forward to the challenge.
    Reply With Quote

  21. #21
    Registered User DocHyg8404's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Oak Creek, Wisconsin, United States
    Age: 27
    Stats: 6'6", 215 lbs
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    DocHyg8404 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit DocHyg8404's BodySpace
    DocHyg8404 is offline

    GA Tough Mudder

    Hey every1 enjoyed the thread on the training journal thnax for the help matrixsleeper. I plan on running the tough mudder in GA in March. My only concern is they will not let me run it cuz i have a prostetic leg. Is there ne word on quick medical evaluation and did you see ne1 with a medical impairment such as a prostetic leg or of sorts? and will the give me my money back if they do not allow me to run in it. Well either way i plan on running it even if i have to bring my own waiver saying nething that happens is becouase of my own fault haha see yall in GA. Ne1 else goin
    Doc Hyg, Oh hey i got 1 leg haha but the other 1 still aint worth ****
    Reply With Quote

  22. #22
    Registered User matrixsleeper's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Age: 32
    Stats: 6'0", 174 lbs
    Posts: 277
    Rep Power: 1156
    matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit matrixsleeper's BodySpace
    matrixsleeper is offline
    Originally Posted by DocHyg8404 View Post
    Hey every1 enjoyed the thread on the training journal thnax for the help matrixsleeper. I plan on running the tough mudder in GA in March. My only concern is they will not let me run it cuz i have a prostetic leg. Is there ne word on quick medical evaluation and did you see ne1 with a medical impairment such as a prostetic leg or of sorts? and will the give me my money back if they do not allow me to run in it. Well either way i plan on running it even if i have to bring my own waiver saying nething that happens is becouase of my own fault haha see yall in GA. Ne1 else goin
    That would be pretty dumb of them to not let you run the race due to a prostetic leg. They make you sign a death waiver saying they're not responsible if you die so I don't get why they would then all of a sudden think they have the right to say what you can or can't do physically. I didn't see anyone with a medical impairment on the race and am not sure of a quick medical evaluation but I would fight it and do whatever you can to show them that your capable of running the race. I really hope they let you run the race because that would be awesome. I think that's what training and working out is all about. Pushing your body to limits you never knew you had, accomplishing goals and being able to be proud of what you can do. Pushing passed what other people would see as limiting and just going for it. Keep us posted and good luck!
    Amateur Arm Wrestling Training Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134884721

    Tough Mudder prep and race journal (May 2nd 2010)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123084423
    Reply With Quote

  23. #23
    Wut? dirtyjerz's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2009
    Age: 23
    Stats: 5'10", 198 lbs
    Posts: 8,599
    Rep Power: 2980
    dirtyjerz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dirtyjerz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dirtyjerz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dirtyjerz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dirtyjerz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dirtyjerz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dirtyjerz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dirtyjerz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dirtyjerz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dirtyjerz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) dirtyjerz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit dirtyjerz's BodySpace
    dirtyjerz is offline
    i'll be there for the Allentown, PA race. i'm in pretty good shape now, strong legs/back. and have good wind from lots of metcons (think crossfit) gotta get my legs use to the pounding though, gonna wait till about 4 weeks out to start the distance running to save my shins.
    New Jersey: 201
    ★ BlackBerry Messenger Misc Group ★
    MISC STRENGTH CREW

    All lifts are 100% raw. (old stats are old)
    Squat: 375x5, 385x3, 415x1
    Front Squat: 315x5, 335x3
    Deadlift: 515x5, 525x1
    Clean: 305
    Bench: 275x6, 290x3, 305x1
    Reply With Quote

  24. #24
    Focus mlandis's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Ohio, United States
    Age: 49
    Stats: 5'4", 147 lbs
    Posts: 908
    Rep Power: 296
    mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit mlandis's BodySpace
    mlandis is offline
    Originally Posted by dirtyjerz View Post
    i'll be there for the Allentown, PA race. i'm in pretty good shape now, strong legs/back. and have good wind from lots of metcons (think crossfit) gotta get my legs use to the pounding though, gonna wait till about 4 weeks out to start the distance running to save my shins.
    Cool. you will have to post afterwards and tell us how it was.

    I'm signed up for the Warrior Dash in Logan Ohio in June. Figure that will be a good judge of what I need to work on for the Mudder.
    Reply With Quote

  25. #25
    Registered User cnparong's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2008
    Location: Florida, United States
    Age: 31
    Stats: 5'6", 172 lbs
    Posts: 473
    Rep Power: 257
    cnparong has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cnparong has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cnparong has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cnparong has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cnparong has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cnparong has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cnparong has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cnparong has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cnparong has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cnparong has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) cnparong has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit cnparong's BodySpace
    cnparong is offline
    Originally Posted by mlandis View Post
    Cool. you will have to post afterwards and tell us how it was.

    I'm signed up for the Warrior Dash in Logan Ohio in June. Figure that will be a good judge of what I need to work on for the Mudder.
    Just finished the Warrior Dash here in FL and i'm hooked. Looked into Tough Mudder for the ATL location, figuring out if 37 days is enough to train for this! I'm so amped in doing all these mud runs! They are so much fun
    Reply With Quote

  26. #26
    Focus mlandis's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Ohio, United States
    Age: 49
    Stats: 5'4", 147 lbs
    Posts: 908
    Rep Power: 296
    mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mlandis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit mlandis's BodySpace
    mlandis is offline
    Originally Posted by cnparong View Post
    Just finished the Warrior Dash here in FL and i'm hooked. Looked into Tough Mudder for the ATL location, figuring out if 37 days is enough to train for this! I'm so amped in doing all these mud runs! They are so much fun

    That is great. Do the ATL one! Just finishing shows you kicked ass.

    I've done the Men's Health Urbanathalon the last two years, but I have a feeling the mudder will make that seem easy.
    Reply With Quote

  27. #27
    Party Enthusiast HollisterHB's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Stats: 6'2", 202 lbs
    Posts: 2,594
    Rep Power: 605
    HollisterHB has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HollisterHB has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HollisterHB has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HollisterHB has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HollisterHB has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HollisterHB has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HollisterHB has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HollisterHB has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HollisterHB has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HollisterHB has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HollisterHB has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit HollisterHB's BodySpace
    HollisterHB is offline
    Possibly looking at the Vermont one in May. A couple of my former roommates have signed up already but I'm bulking until April so Im not sure if I'll have the time to train for this. Looks pretty sick though.
    Reply With Quote

  28. #28
    1 cheeky kunt m8 Autodidactic's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Location: United States
    Stats: 6'1", 212 lbs
    Posts: 4,103
    Rep Power: 9296
    Autodidactic has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Autodidactic has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Autodidactic has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Autodidactic has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Autodidactic has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Autodidactic has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Autodidactic has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Autodidactic has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Autodidactic has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Autodidactic has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Autodidactic has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Autodidactic's BodySpace
    Autodidactic is offline
    Stumbled across this thread after doing a search for training tips. Very helpful thread BTW.

    I have kind of a unique situation. I had a few small surgeries on my hip in the last year which stopped me from training at all and, to say the least, I've fallen off of my training pretty hard.

    I got the OK to exercise again on February 1st and decided to sign up for the Tough Mudder in Allentown on April 9th. I figured I would train harder if I had a tangible goal to reach.

    After all of that, my question is, how much running distance should I be comfortable covering before the race? I'm thinking 8 comfortable miles + PWO supps + scenery + team = me getting through the race fairly easily. I haven't been doing much distance yet because I feel like I shouldn't go too hard on my hip yet, but I have been running steep hills. Think rural Pennsylvania, grassy hills.

    I am a firm believer in muscle memory and I feel like that will help me in the end. I was in the military for 4 years, amateur powerlifter, and, until recently, have always been generally fit.

    Thanks, and great thread.
    ★★★★★ Thread

    Anti Anti Hover Crew
    Reply With Quote

  29. #29
    Kimchi eating Champ schmack's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Location: United States
    Stats: 5'9", 170 lbs
    Posts: 10,208
    BodyPoints: 20
    Rep Power: 62623
    schmack has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) schmack has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) schmack has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) schmack has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) schmack has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) schmack has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) schmack has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) schmack has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) schmack has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) schmack has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) schmack has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit schmack's BodySpace
    schmack is offline
    Thanks for sharing, I'm doing the one in Vermont if all goes well.
    Instagram= Schmack22



    There is no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness. Po
    Reply With Quote

  30. #30
    Registered User matrixsleeper's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Age: 32
    Stats: 6'0", 174 lbs
    Posts: 277
    Rep Power: 1156
    matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) matrixsleeper has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit matrixsleeper's BodySpace
    matrixsleeper is offline
    Originally Posted by Autodidactic View Post
    Stumbled across this thread after doing a search for training tips. Very helpful thread BTW.

    I have kind of a unique situation. I had a few small surgeries on my hip in the last year which stopped me from training at all and, to say the least, I've fallen off of my training pretty hard.

    I got the OK to exercise again on February 1st and decided to sign up for the Tough Mudder in Allentown on April 9th. I figured I would train harder if I had a tangible goal to reach.

    After all of that, my question is, how much running distance should I be comfortable covering before the race? I'm thinking 8 comfortable miles + PWO supps + scenery + team = me getting through the race fairly easily. I haven't been doing much distance yet because I feel like I shouldn't go too hard on my hip yet, but I have been running steep hills. Think rural Pennsylvania, grassy hills.

    I am a firm believer in muscle memory and I feel like that will help me in the end. I was in the military for 4 years, amateur powerlifter, and, until recently, have always been generally fit.

    Thanks, and great thread.
    The Allentown PA race should be about 7 miles total if I'm not mistaken but has a lot of elevation changes. If you can do 5 miles comfortably then you'll have what it takes to finish strong. The steep hills will require leg muscle endurance more than running endurance and there's a few breaks when waiting for some of the obstacles. As far as PWO supps go I can't speak highly enough about Purple Wraath to take for the race. It's more of an intra supp but for a long race like this it will help big time. Good luck on the race!
    Amateur Arm Wrestling Training Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134884721

    Tough Mudder prep and race journal (May 2nd 2010)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123084423
    Reply With Quote

Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Training tips for the more agile from a martial artist
    By WindTiger in forum Post Your Own Articles!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-30-2014, 12:23 PM
  2. Cellucor NO Extreme (tough mudder training)
    By Geno51 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-20-2010, 02:34 PM
  3. Got some quad training tips?
    By dani_z23 in forum Exercises
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-06-2003, 11:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Home Store Products Careers Help Contact Us Terms of Use Checkout