TheHybrid is just really nice. (+1000) TheHybrid is just really nice. (+1000) TheHybrid is just really nice. (+1000) TheHybrid is just really nice. (+1000) TheHybrid is just really nice. (+1000) TheHybrid is just really nice. (+1000) TheHybrid is just really nice. (+1000) TheHybrid is just really nice. (+1000) TheHybrid is just really nice. (+1000) TheHybrid is just really nice. (+1000) TheHybrid is just really nice. (+1000)

How hard is the NSCA-CPT, ACE, and ACSM?

Little background about me:

3rd year student in Clinical Dietetics and Nutrition
    Took 2 courses in school to prepare for CSCS, going to study for it and take it this summer
    Been a certified lifeguard (lifeguard/cpr/first aid/aed) since I was 16
    Constantly reading about fitness/nutrition on my own, as well as at school

How hard would picking up these certifications be? Should I even bother (i.e. are any of these certifications even looked upon highly)? I'd just be doing it to beef up a resume over the summer - I'm for sure getting my CSCS, just wondering if I should tack on some other certifications

Should note that i'm not saying I'd walk into these exams cold. I'd get the materials and study for them, but I'm hoping not much more than ~20hrs per cert.

Thanks!

edit: should also note i'm doing this because I'm going for my masters in sports nutrition. not just for nutrition.
    Last edited by TheHybrid; 05-03-2010 at 08:02 AM.

Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TheHybrid View Post
    Little background about me:

3rd year student in Clinical Dietetics and Nutrition
    Took 2 courses in school to prepare for CSCS, going to study for it and take it this summer
    Been a certified lifeguard (lifeguard/cpr/first aid/aed) since I was 16
    Constantly reading about fitness/nutrition on my own, as well as at school

How hard would picking up these certifications be? Should I even bother (i.e. are any of these certifications even looked upon highly)? I'd just be doing it to beef up a resume over the summer - I'm for sure getting my CSCS, just wondering if I should tack on some other certifications

Should note that i'm not saying I'd walk into these exams cold. I'd get the materials and study for them, but I'm hoping not much more than ~20hrs per cert.

Thanks!

edit: should also note i'm doing this because I'm going for my masters in sports nutrition. not just for nutrition.
    It doesn't hurt to have any reputable cert. It adds to your credibility when dealing with employers and clients. So go for any of them.

Despite you having a background in fitness and nutrition, the only problem you might have will be program adherence. Each certifying agency has a different slant on their programs.

ACE for instance is very conservative with workout design and nutrition/supplementation and focuses more on legalities than workout design, while a cert like ISSA is a bit more liberal with the design and supplementation and focuses a bit more on the program design than ACE. Also, between the two certs one uses an older version of the BMR formula while the other uses an older version of BMI... Which can be confusing on the final exam if you don't read their program design.
    ~Coach Rick Sterling Tarleton
    USA Weightlifting, USA Track&Field
    CrossFit L-1, ISSA CFT, Pilates
    www.CoachRickSterling.com

BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500)
    ace is accredited by the ncca. issa isnt. thus ace>issa

BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500)
    in level of difficulty i would say acsm and nsca are harder than ace.

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    yes, 20 hrs for the NSCA would get you - fail

each of these has their own philosophy on how things should be done, so there is some crossover, but not between the exams, you have to answer how they WANT you to answer, which sometimes does not make sense

I would do NSCA, but I prefer to focus on strength training
    pick the one that would do you the most good, where you would use it.
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

payner1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) payner1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) payner1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) payner1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) payner1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) payner1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) payner1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) payner1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) payner1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) payner1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) payner1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would go with NSCA personally. Better prepares you for the CSCS (which would justify having a bachelor's degree) later on if your so inclined.
    My little sister has an ACE cert she got for class credit. Differences I see are that she knows the form of all the exercises, but has little idea how to program properly.
    "I like to think I play rugby as it should be played - there are no yellow or red cards in my collection - but I cannot say I'm an angel." - Jonny Wilkinson

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    IMO the NSCA - CSCS test is not that hard.

jcrizzy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I took the ACSM in college a few yeras ago and passed it the first go around. There are a lot that was covered on the test and I was very surprised at how detailed it got with the anatomy and biology. I would recommend you spend some time reading through the book and making sure you know the terms the certification likes to use and then take a large amount of practice tests.
    6'
    180 pounds
    5-6% BF
    250 bench rep (305 max)
    210 pound dumbell shoulder press
    160 pound bicep curl (seated, barbell)
    720 pound leg press

No i'm not massively large or plan on being