Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz

Alternative Foam Roller?

Anyone have any good alternatives to spending $20 plu shipping on a foam roller? I want one, but I don't want to pay for one
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Heard some people use large diameter PVC pipe, squash balls, tennis balls, soft balls, things like that.
    Most of those are obviously a lot harder and apply more pressure than a foam roller, but apparently the effect is the same, although I'm no expert.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 22

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I use a childs pool toy...foam noodle.

It's more soft because it's not solid all the way through...but it's only like 3 bucks at the grocery store, too.

CSimms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CSimms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CSimms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CSimms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CSimms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CSimms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You could buy one of the smaller ones for a cheaper amount probably, otherwise, you may be able to call around to some physical therapy clinics as they are usually used there and ask if they have any extras and/or old foam rollers to get rid of or sell for cheap. Good luck
    New Journal - Madcows 5x5 4/5/10 to Present: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123665591

Starting Stats (4/5/10):
    Weight 150lbs
    BF% 12.5%

UPDATED 5/3/10
    Weight 156.8lbs
    BF% 13.2%

Squats 5RM 180lbs (5/3/10)
    Flat Bench 5RM 175lbs (5/3/10)
    Deadlifts 5RM 180lbs
    Incline Bench 5RM 140lbs
    Rows 5RM 125lbs (5/3/10)

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Kodokan View Post
    I use a childs pool toy...foam noodle.

It's more soft because it's not solid all the way through...but it's only like 3 bucks at the grocery store, too.
    i was thinking of that. Does it work and loosen up the muscles, especially upper back and ab/adductors.

GrapeApe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapeApe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapeApe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapeApe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapeApe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapeApe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapeApe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapeApe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapeApe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapeApe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GrapeApe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    i was thinking of that. Does it work and loosen up the muscles, especially upper back and ab/adductors.
    I have a really tight IT band. Originally tried the pool noodle (toy one) and it was worthless at doing anything and basically collapsed and pinched my skin (and pulled my shorts off).

I then tried my kid's Nerf-like bat. Thin foam outside and hard plastic core (kinda like the DIY versions I've seen). Oh my god, that hurt so much I couldn't use it regularly. I didn't dare try it on my back.

I looked online but didn't want to pay for the $15 foam roller and the $10 shipping.

Settled on the $15 Gold's Gym roller from Walmart. It got good reviews and wasn't that bad of a price. I use it every day for both IT bands and upper back and love it. I figure it will give out eventually, but for the relief I feel, I'll buy another.

Good to know.

ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Good to know.
    I picked up a two foam rollers bidding on ebay from a place called foambargains. I think one was 18" and the other 36". They were a little cheaper than their regular rollers because they were 'seconds' plus they were extra dense (which must make them a little less desirable to the general public but I wanted extra firm for deep massaging of hamstrings, glutes and calves)

I tried PVC pipe and, while cheap, it has no give so is pretty uncomfortable because it has no 'give'.

I think if you spend a few bucks on a dense one, you will have it for years, so it's a good value.

Good luck.

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It's not as dense as a solid one...but the one I have still works. I mainly use it for the hip/leg areas, and it does work to loosen up and take some pressure off my lower back.

I don't know for how I'm using it if its any better than doing some jumping jacks to warm up, though, but it feels good.

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz

Maybe worth a try?
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

That's how you get ants. BobisMighty's Avatar
    BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Essexlad View Post
    Heard some people use large diameter PVC pipe, squash balls, tennis balls, soft balls, things like that.
    Most of those are obviously a lot harder and apply more pressure than a foam roller, but apparently the effect is the same, although I'm no expert.
    yeah i used tennis balls before i bought my foamroller. i like the pool noodle idea but you're going to need to put something firm in it like pvc pipe. or just use pvc pipe but i heard that gets painful.
    MISC STRENGTH CREW

Rugby training log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125605233

World Rugby S&C Level 1 coach.

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    Also while I'm thinking about it (because I have a vicious knot in my back right now)....these things are GREAT for working them out as well...

Theracane Massager

I didn't realize that they weren't cheap since mine was a gift...but holy crap you can work the heck out of some knots in your back with this thing.

Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by cgc View Post
    Also while I'm thinking about it (because I have a vicious knot in my back right now)....these things are GREAT for working them out as well...

Theracane Massager

I didn't realize that they weren't cheap since mine was a gift...but holy crap you can work the heck out of some knots in your back with this thing.
    The theracane is good (and pricey? around $75 or so?). Also good for the knots in your back is the TP massage ball. Kind of like a golf ball inside a tennis ball. Firm but pliable on the outside with a sold center.

http://www.tptherapy.com/

I think the 'science' of trigger point therapy is a gimmick but the balls are helpful, easy to use and relatively cheap. (around $25 with shipping)

AtomikStrongman will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtomikStrongman will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtomikStrongman will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtomikStrongman will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtomikStrongman will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtomikStrongman will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtomikStrongman will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtomikStrongman will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtomikStrongman will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtomikStrongman will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtomikStrongman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've destroyed foam rollered, tried pipe, everything. The best is a good marble rolling pin. Use it after it's been in the freezer a while.. ahhhhhh.. wicked.

Hey!

Long time no see. How have things been going.

homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100)
    I made a 400$ dollar order on here and asked bb.com customer service if instead of the regular free gift I could get the atlus foam roller and they said sure. Thats how I got mine

Registered User IvankoBarbellCo's Avatar
    IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by GrapeApe View Post
    I have a really tight IT band.
    Me too. I'm actually been meaning to look into doing something about it. Got the dense foam roller from a Phys. Therapy place for about $7 or so. About 3' long and 7" diameter. Dense. When used on the IT it hurts like hell. But they say that's good. Also tried tennis and squash balls, and they seem to be okay too.

Vinko
    ()---() York Barbell Club #50 ()---()

Ivanko Barbell Company
    official website: www.ivankobarbell.com

View: //www.instagram.com/ivankobarbell
    Join: //www.********.com/ivankobarbell
    Follow: //www.twitter.com/ivankobarbell
    Watch: //www.youtube.com/ivankobarbell
    Newsletter: http://www.ivankobarbell.com/contact.html

Originally Posted by IvankoBarbellCo View Post
    Me too. I'm actually been meaning to look into doing something about it. Got the dense foam roller from a Phys. Therapy place for about $7 or so. About 3' long and 7" diameter. Dense. When used on the IT it hurts like hell. But they say that's good. Also tried tennis and squash balls, and they seem to be okay too.

Vinko
    The tighter your IT band is, the more rolling it will hurt. Make sure you roll from the hip area to below the knee. And do it regularly, along with some stretching. It takes time but is worth it!

Hey guys....forgive my ignorance, but "IT" = ?

Mega_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mega_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mega_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mega_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mega_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mega_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mega_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mega_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mega_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mega_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mega_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by cgc View Post
    Hey guys....forgive my ignorance, but "IT" = ?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_tract
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."

Looking for discount Controlled Labs products? PM me for details.