Thread: Lagging chest

Lorekan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lorekan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Lagging chest

I have been bulking for the past 6 months and the only part that has grown so little are my pecs.
    I have tried anything alternating styles every 2 months or so.
    Have tried both the twice per week frequency and im currently doing once per week.
    My current routine is

5x weighted dips
    5x chest press machine since im already pretty much spent from the dips and
    4x incline db flies

To save your time its not a matter of adequate exercise selection and nutrition since both are pretty much covered.

Past routines involved incline bench and flat flies but gains were the same.

Would seriously need some help guys,appreciate it a lot.

Edit:First post btw so be gentle please
    Last edited by Lorekan; 01-10-2014 at 12:31 PM.

doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Lorekan View Post
    I have been bulking for the past 6 months and the only part that has grown so little are my pecs.
    Have tried both the twice per week frequency and im currently doing once per week.
    My current routine is

5x weighted dips
    5x chest press machine since im already pretty much spent from the dips and
    4x incline db flies

To save your time its not a matter of adequate exercise selection and nutrition since both are pretty much covered.

Past routines involved incline bench and flat flies but gains were the same.

Would seriously need some help guys,appreciate it a lot.
    How long were you training chest twice a week for? I'm assuming you've had some form of flat press in your routine at some point?

Lorekan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lorekan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by doughnut91 View Post
    How long were you training chest twice a week for? I'm assuming you've had some form of flat press in your routine at some point?
    Was training twice a week for 4 months maybe a little bit more.Was doing flat press for aproximately 3 months with little to no results both db and bb.

Edit:Just some measurements to give u a bit of info.
    Chest 35in
    Arms 14.5in.

229time will become famous soon enough. (+50) 229time will become famous soon enough. (+50) 229time will become famous soon enough. (+50) 229time will become famous soon enough. (+50) 229time will become famous soon enough. (+50) 229time will become famous soon enough. (+50) 229time will become famous soon enough. (+50) 229time will become famous soon enough. (+50) 229time will become famous soon enough. (+50) 229time will become famous soon enough. (+50) 229time will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You should start your presses first! And drop the machine....Use either Barbell or DB's (preferably both). You will be able to lift more weight in your presses (build more strength/mass), if you perform them before your dips. Finish your chest workout with dips (and you may not even need to add any weight).

dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    you're 120lbs
    you need to eat more food to add more mass
    Goals:

1.5 bw Bench
    2.0+ bw Squat
    2.5 bw Deadlift
    Gain 20 lbs

dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have been bulking for the past 6 months
    how much weight have you gained in 6 months?

if you change your routine so often, how do you expect to measure progress

I think you need to revisit both of these. This is where your problem lies.
    Bring your bench press up to a respectable level (use a barbell)
    gain 10-20lbs over the next 6 months or so
    Goals:

1.5 bw Bench
    2.0+ bw Squat
    2.5 bw Deadlift
    Gain 20 lbs

chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chad939 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i would drop the 3 moves you have now and start your routine with incline dumbbell presses for a **** load of sets. warm up to a weight that challenges you around 10 to 15 reps, then do about 5 to 6 sets on that weight if you can manage. make sure you bring them down low also to get a good stretch at the bottom. then pick something that isolates chest if you want and just do alot of reps to finish it off. i personally just do flat BB bench for lower reps and a little heavier weight and then like 6 to 8 sets of 15 to 20 reps incline dumbbells and my chest is shot, no need for any isolation moves. try it out oh and eat more as well your only 120lbs im sure eating more would help a bunch.

Well my informations are a bit outdated but its my fault not updating them.
    Ihave gained 35 lb already and i know its not much.
    At the moment im doing 5 sets of 10 on dips having 60 lb on me.
    Well the machine doesnt matter as i just use it to further tax the pecs and in the flyes in using 45 pound dumbbells.

Thanks for the help you have offered already

Edit:i didnt mention that im using a 3/4 rom to keep tension on the pecs
    Last edited by Lorekan; 01-10-2014 at 01:54 PM.

alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Try doing this for a month

Decline dumbbell presses 3 times a week

Warm up without inducing fatigue

First set should be the heaviest, then decrease weight progressively over the 5 sets

Rep ranges should be between 6-12 while doing working sets

ALWAYS keep your scapulae (shoulder blades) retracted (pinched together)

Also, do face pulls often to correct your posture

Originally Posted by alexanderberg View Post
    Try doing this for a month

Decline dumbbell presses 3 times a week

Warm up without inducing fatigue

First set should be the heaviest, then decrease weight progressively over the 5 sets

Rep ranges should be between 6-12 while doing working sets

ALWAYS keep your scapulae (shoulder blades) retracted (pinched together)

Also, do face pulls often to correct your posture
    Posture is not an issue ,i have the proper pressing technique down.
    Could i possibly replace decline press with dips?
    Lets say for example first set with 60 lbs ,then second with 45,3rd 30,4th 15 and 5th bodywight? Sorry for not listening exactly what u told me to but i personally feel like dips are superior in my case

Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Completely wrong excercise selection imho.

Do:

BB Incline
    DB Incline
    Cable fly ( http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...andingFly.html )

Keep on keeping on notdisappoint's Avatar
    notdisappoint will become famous soon enough. (+50) notdisappoint will become famous soon enough. (+50) notdisappoint will become famous soon enough. (+50) notdisappoint will become famous soon enough. (+50) notdisappoint will become famous soon enough. (+50) notdisappoint will become famous soon enough. (+50) notdisappoint will become famous soon enough. (+50) notdisappoint will become famous soon enough. (+50) notdisappoint will become famous soon enough. (+50) notdisappoint will become famous soon enough. (+50) notdisappoint will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OP, what is your obsession with dibs about?

Dibs won't hit your chest in the same way a bb/db press or flys will. Focus on those and keep dibs as an accessory. To me it's pretty obvious why your chest isn't growing.
    50% fact.
    50% magic.
    100% results.

Know who invented deload week? Haters. People who want to slow you down, so they can catch up.

Originally Posted by Brynden View Post
    Completely wrong excercise selection imho.

Do:

BB Incline
    DB Incline
    Cable fly
    My upper chest is noticably better developed than lower one so i thought prioritizing that area would help.
    Unlike most people my main problem is lower pec development

doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) doughnut91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My upper chest is noticably better developed than lower one so i thought prioritizing that area would help.
    In which case, start with a flat or decline pressing movement, be it dumbbells or barbell. 3 sets of 6-12 reps.

ATFitter will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATFitter will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATFitter will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATFitter will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATFitter will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATFitter will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATFitter will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATFitter will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATFitter will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATFitter will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATFitter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Bb flat bench
    Dumbell incline
    Push-ups
    Maybe flys?
    Eat
    Eat
    Eat
    Profit

Took me a good amount of time before I actually started getting respectable size in my chest...

Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brynden will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Then do BB Decline or Flat Bench instead of incline BB

But machine press, db flies and dips are not the best chest exercises imho

Originally Posted by Brynden View Post
    Then do BB Decline or Flat Bench instead of incline BB

But machine press, db flies and dips are not the best chest exercises imho
    Could you please explain why decline/flat press are more beneficial than weighted dips?Since essentially the dip rom is the same as a decline press and i can feel my chest done after them.
    I know all im talking about are the dips,its the only exercise that has done anything for my lower pecs even after benching for 4 months straight

kingppoppy is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingppoppy is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingppoppy is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingppoppy is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingppoppy is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingppoppy is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingppoppy is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingppoppy is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingppoppy is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingppoppy is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kingppoppy is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    IM TELLING U NOW HOW TO INFLATE DA FUKK OUT OF YOUR CHEST

1. DONT DO BARBELL ONLY DO DUMBBELL BENCH PRESS
    2. DO INCLINE DUMBBELL BENCH PRESS
    3. EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT

I went from benching 60 pounds (30 lbs dumbbell) to 225 pounds on barbell

thanks for the help everyone
    Today Jason Blaha uploaded a video talking about the differences between dips,decline and flat press (title is Dips Vs Flat Vs Decline Bench For Lower Chest Development ,cant post links yet) which pretty much cleared everything in my mind.
    Again i want to thank everyone that took the time to read my post and go through the process of helping