seanysuds88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanysuds88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanysuds88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanysuds88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanysuds88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanysuds88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up "high reps for cutting myth"

Ok i had another client ask about if high reps actually work for cutting... since i keep getting this asked im going to get into a little bit of simple science... the reason it does work is your body goes into oxidative mode. when your body can no longer use glycolysis to turn glucose into atp for your muscle to use thats when oxidative mode comes into play and it turns glucose, fat, and a few other things into atp.. though your sets have to be alot longer or very short rest periods it does create a hugh ammount of atp for your muscles to use. the simple 10-15 "High" rep scheme wont work for getting your body into oxidative mode unless you have little to no rest between sets. The Rep Range best for actually entering oxidative mode is 30-150... i know thats a big range and if you get into upper hundreds its usually just to damn light so i would stick to 30-60 range but i have known a few people to like to go higher.

I am a firm believer that high reps can help you burn extra calories and in turn get hella ripped but if you stick to nothing but high high reps u will lose a lot of strength so mix up the rep scheme and your gtg!
    Workout journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=115079891

Scivation Rules

extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs down

SMH. Just do cardio then.
    [Fat Loss|Nutrition|www.MRTIMOTHYLEE.com|Training|ContestPrep]

danzink is on a distinguished road. (+10) danzink is on a distinguished road. (+10) danzink is on a distinguished road. (+10) danzink is on a distinguished road. (+10) danzink is on a distinguished road. (+10) danzink is on a distinguished road. (+10) danzink is on a distinguished road. (+10) danzink is on a distinguished road. (+10) danzink is on a distinguished road. (+10) danzink is on a distinguished road. (+10) danzink is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Or, they could do cardio (which is essentially high reps). I mean if they lift like they normally do, then do cardio afterwards, wouldnt that keep strength, but make you lose more because you will be glucose depleted from the lifting. I mean high reps above 15 dont really make any sense to me?

LOL the guy above me beat me to it.

BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by danzink View Post
    Or, they could do cardio (which is essentially high reps). I mean if they lift like they normally do, then do cardio afterwards, wouldnt that keep strength, but make you lose more because you will be glucose depleted from the lifting. I mean high reps above 15 dont really make any sense to me?

That is the theory I subscribe to.

OP, you are always in "oxidative mode", until you pass your anaerobic threshold.

Wanderlei will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wanderlei will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wanderlei will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wanderlei will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wanderlei will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wanderlei will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wanderlei will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wanderlei will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wanderlei will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wanderlei will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wanderlei will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Do something different, get them to do 3 sets to failure in a row with 30 secs between sets and tell them it'll help them cut or something.
    RIP Piermario Morosini.

A man distracted is a man defeated.

seanysuds88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanysuds88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanysuds88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanysuds88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanysuds88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanysuds88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i like the responces i personally like strength training rest pause intervals with mid cardio but i figured i would post the science... or theory
    Last edited by seanysuds88; 04-23-2010 at 11:39 AM.

Scivation Rules

i so so agree though i do enjoy throwing in a very light high rep day of 50-150 reps with 30 sec rest just for the pump feeling and its a nice chance to me from 4-7 and 10-12 rep ranges i usually use

Scivation Rules

EVO-PT is just really nice. (+1000) EVO-PT is just really nice. (+1000) EVO-PT is just really nice. (+1000) EVO-PT is just really nice. (+1000) EVO-PT is just really nice. (+1000) EVO-PT is just really nice. (+1000) EVO-PT is just really nice. (+1000) EVO-PT is just really nice. (+1000) EVO-PT is just really nice. (+1000) EVO-PT is just really nice. (+1000) EVO-PT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Train as heavy as you can for the whole diet - high reps, supersets, drop sets etc etc just do not make sense while dieting....
    Vision is purpose, and when your purpose is clear so are your life choices. Vision creates faith and faith creates willpower. With faith there is no anxiety, no doubt - just absolute confidence. R.I.P ZYZZ - YOU WILL BE MISSED BRAH March 24 1989 - August 6 2011

I Do It On My Own xxsupergman25xx's Avatar
    xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000)
    cuttin is 90% diet. u can lift however u want but if ur not on right diet...not gonna do anything. i stick to the 8-18 range almost regardless what the goal is.
    http://forms.aweber.com/form/85/1635053985.htm - Newsletter!

Posts are my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.
    -----------------------------------
    Baseball insane

i do it all on my own

danzink is on a distinguished road. (+10) danzink is on a distinguished road. (+10) danzink is on a distinguished road. (+10) danzink is on a distinguished road. (+10) danzink is on a distinguished road. (+10) danzink is on a distinguished road. (+10) danzink is on a distinguished road. (+10) danzink is on a distinguished road. (+10) danzink is on a distinguished road. (+10) danzink is on a distinguished road. (+10) danzink is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by xxsupergman25xx View Post
    cuttin is 90% diet. u can lift however u want but if ur not on right diet...not gonna do anything. i stick to the 8-18 range almost regardless what the goal is.
    True that, you dont even have to do cardio to lose fat.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by EVO-PT View Post
    Train as heavy as you can for the whole diet - high reps, supersets, drop sets etc etc just do not make sense while dieting....
    This.^^

When dieting the key is to retain muscle 1st, lose body fat 2nd. It's easier to go a little lower then the norm in your deficit. Save your energy for your lifting and don't kill yourself with cardio...let your diet do the work for you.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000)
    True that, you dont even have to do cardio to lose fat.
    i never do cardio. EVER. i havent walked/jogged/ran a 1/2 mile in 6 years. if i wanna subtract a few lbs..i cut down carbs/fat till i get where i want.

cardio can be catabolic as well if u go to hard. thats why a lot of bodybuilders who "cut" walk slow on a treadmill with a high incline. or on a eliptical with higher resistance, but always slow.

Posts are my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.
    Baseball insane

i do it all on my own

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    superman where did you pick up the outdated idea that cardio is bad for muscel growth?
    I know many unlearned body builders don't do it but its just bro science at its best.
    Same goes for doing more then 15 reps when lifting weights, there are far better and vastly more interesting ways to get endurance and cutting work outs then laying under abar doing 30 to 150 reps.
    And before you list the bodybuilders that don't do cardio remimber steroids help and most of them could'nt even get up a flight of stair with out being winded. Not a health way to live a long and active life.

yea u should do some research about how most cardio is catabolic.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glen9.htm

heres just 1 article

and if u read again i said "cardio can be catabolic if u go to hard"
    i spent 15-20 minutes googling cardio anabolic and catabolic...the one article i just posted for u is the benefits of cardio...when done correctly..95% of stuff found says excessive cardio is catabolic.

if u have scientific information to contradict pretty much the entire world of fitness by all means..ill be interested to read.

also...no1 said anythin about bodybuilders being healthy.

Baseball insane

i do it all on my own

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Maybe I miss understood you when you posted you never do cardio? There fore it is emplyed that you think all cardio is bad witch is silly as the article you posted points out.
    Extrem cardio is catabolic but you emply that you don't do any cardio since it is catabolic. Sad since you would get better muscle growth and development if you did some.

DavidHill76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DavidHill76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DavidHill76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DavidHill76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DavidHill76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DavidHill76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DavidHill76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DavidHill76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DavidHill76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DavidHill76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DavidHill76 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by carl.c View Post
    Sad since you would get better muscle growth and development if you did some.
    Proof? Article? Anything?

I want to see this.
    .:: Misc Cologne Crew ::.
    .: Misc Mario Brahs :.
    I rep back.

Completed MusclePharm log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122861801

My site: www.frugalson.com

im simply stating..i dont do cardio and can be lose bodyfat.

and im not sure how u could be confused especially since i stated this.........read the first sentence carefully...

"cardio can be catabolic as well if u go to hard. thats why a lot of bodybuilders who "cut" walk slow on a treadmill with a high incline. or on a eliptical with higher resistance, but always slow."

and for the record...i do sprints 1-2 times a week...usually 4 sprints of 50-60 yards...thats it.

Baseball insane

i do it all on my own

nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100)
    only after 2 minutes do you go into oxidative mode. SO high reps would be about 60 reps assuming a 2 second span of the rep. Or 30 reps with a 4 second duration of each rep. 15 reps with 8 second spans of each rep?????
    I would've lied if I told you this was easy.

Check out my tumblr: http://nickmanzoni.tumblr.com/

nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by DavidHill76 View Post
    Proof? Article? Anything?

I want to see this.
    Cardio increases mitochrondrial development. Mitochondrial development will produce greater energy stores in the muscle. Great energy stores in muscle fibers will produce longer glycolytic windows thus providing a greater window for muscle force output.
    I would've lied if I told you this was easy.

Check out my tumblr: http://nickmanzoni.tumblr.com/

gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by nickmanzoni View Post
    Cardio increases mitochrondrial development. Mitochondrial development will produce greater energy stores in the muscle. Great energy stores in muscle fibers will produce longer glycolytic windows thus providing a greater window for muscle force output.
    As well as numerous CV benefits...
    Owner of Rapid Transformation Training LLC
    Transform your Mind, Body and Life

www.rapidtransformationtraining.com

davidhill76: "Uh" see link in supermans post.

Originally Posted by nickmanzoni View Post
    only after 2 minutes do you go into oxidative mode. SO high reps would be about 60 reps assuming a 2 second span of the rep. Or 30 reps with a 4 second duration of each rep. 15 reps with 8 second spans of each rep?????
    4 sec span 30-150 reps... i use 1 up 3 down with some of my clients though most dont go this high rep i have a few high school students who do like doing it ever 2-3 weeks and it seems to help a lot more then you would think.. i guess 2 2 would work as well but i like to have a little more power on the way up because of who most my clients are
    Last edited by seanysuds88; 04-25-2010 at 11:43 AM.

Scivation Rules

I didn't hear no bell! Rap_Rocky's Avatar
    Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Personally, when training clients who typically just want to lose weight, 30+ reps are pointless. Plus there's no way I'm going to sit there and watch you do 309782098 reps - way too boring for me, I personally like to keep clients anywhere between 6-15 reps, depending on their goal, plus, I usually throw in supersets and/or keep the rest periods brief. As somebody already said, diet is key.
    I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
    I'm not out there sweating for three hours every day just to find out what it feels like to sweat.