firbrd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face questions about injury

i recently injured myself while lifting...............dont ask..........lol. its a abdominal tear/strain. once its healed will the abdominal muscle be prone to tearing again? will i be able to lift heavy again? or am i screwed on lifting again period? im just kinda scared i might not be able to lift at full capacity again......(shreeeking) im taking in more protein than usuall to help heal it up better im guessing i wont be able to lift AT ALL for at least 2 weeks then if i feel ok i will start VERY light...like say 20 pounds or so and SLOWLLLLLY work back up to where i was at. what do you guys think tho? have any of you guys ever tore a ab muscle? if so are they rpone to tear again? i know it not a umblical hernis as i have no swelling or redness or bulge in the area like thats associated with that kind of injury......
    Last edited by firbrd; 04-24-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Registered User AussieTrapezius's Avatar
    AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hmm I would be worried about a hernia as well. Having a muscle tear that can be repaired is so much better than a hernia.

yeah its weird i was fine after coming home from the gym that day. then later while watching tv i simply got up off the bed as normal and once i got to the kitchen my stomache was sore on the rest side of my abdominal. i was like wtf????? it was about 4 days ago its not as painful now but i know full well it know where near healed since there still is still some pain even trying to do a easy normal pushup. i know i time i will heal but im just scared it may have a tendancy to tear again even after a full recovery.

Registered User AussieTrapezius's Avatar
    AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by firbrd View Post
    yeah its weird i was fine after coming home from the gym that day. then later while watching tv i simply got up off the bed as normal and once i got to the kitchen my stomache was sore on the rest side of my abdominal. i was like wtf????? it was about 4 days ago its not as painful now but i know full well it know where near healed since there still is still some pain even trying to do a easy normal pushup. i know i time i will heal but im just scared it may have a tendancy to tear again even after a full recovery.
    Make sure you warm up. If you don't let it heal it will be weakened and could cause more of a tear?

If it doesn't get better see your doctor to get is scanned to see if it is a hernia or not.

Originally Posted by AussieTrapezius View Post
    Make sure you warm up. If you don't let it heal it will be weakened and could cause more of a tear?

If it doesn't get better see your doctor to get is scanned to see if it is a hernia or not.

thanks for the help. yes sirree i always warm up. i start with about 5-10 mins on a elipitcal then i do some light sets of whatever muscle group im going to do that day. do my lifting then cardio then i do nice 5-10 min strech afterwards. from what my gramps says from his years and years of schooling he dont belive its no where near a hernia. so id def belive him...lol. im also going to let it heal completely before i even try and lift anything again in or out of a gym. im just really hoping once it fully recovered ill be able to lift again and the muscle NOT have a tendancy to tear again