K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Bench Press vs Flies

I know that youre gonna read this and immediately think 'bench press, duh' lol

however, when i do bench press it feels i havent entirely fatigued my chest but i feel im not able to push the bar up. After the set, I dont feel i havent worked my pecs that much. When i do flies though, i can usually keep doing them until my chest has finally given out and afetr the set, i feel a burn in my pecs.

So whats your opinion on which exercise is better, and when to do each 1?

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Obviously for brute power and overall development its bench press imo,
    However i have to admit that doing incline DB flys, i feel my chest being isolated nicely and can control everything in that movement. Thats what they are for; isolating the pectorals and finishing them off or they can be used to pre fatigue also.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I do both, reason being what Ironlife said.
    "Get up, and don't ever give up".

_Jordo is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Jordo is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Jordo is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Jordo is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Jordo is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Jordo is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Jordo is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Jordo is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Jordo is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Jordo is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Jordo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I find that my front delts cop a lot of stress in flies, but once theyre strengthened incline flies will definitely be a staple. The burn you feel after flies vs bench is the same as anything though... I feel a much harder burn after leg extensions than squats, but I can sure as hell tell you I'm not choosing squats over leg extensions

K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    does anyone get the feeling on a bench press that even though theyre muscles are not fully fatigued yet, they are unable to push the bar up for some reason? That why when i bench i always feel i dont lift to full intensity on each set.

saas1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) saas1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) saas1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) saas1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by K-Krakrz View Post
    does anyone get the feeling on a bench press that even though theyre muscles are not fully fatigued yet, they are unable to push the bar up for some reason? That why when i bench i always feel i dont lift to full intensity on each set.

as long as you can beat last weeks amount of weight you lifted or the number of reps you done last time with the same weight its working and your getting bigger and stronger

Milk does a body good. Sir_Malak's Avatar
    Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Bench pressing regardless of your form (it should be done with great form nevertheless) will use many muscles as its a true composite. The weakest link in those muscles is what will initially halt your progress into the next rep. Usually from what I have seen and experienced that first muscle to go is rarely the chest (delts/triceps are what I see fail first normally of course it will vary.) For this reason on chest days I perform all my heavy composite type work first and then hit up isolations such as the flyes etc.. You could try the pre-exhaust idea where you break a muscle down some and then hit the composite that may work for you. Many ways of dealing with this issue and the main thing to focus on is how it works for you.

Good luck.
    2014 Misc Raw Bench Press Contest winner in the 276lb+ 555lb lift @ ~280lbs
    2014 Obtained goal of 600+ raw bench press. Shoulder also hates me.
    2015 Lost 110 lbs and currently enjoy being healthy. Retired heavy bench press.
    2016 Stay healthy? Help others?
    2017 Staying Healthy
    2018 Might Return To The Game

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

however, when i do bench press it feels i havent entirely fatigued my chest but i feel im not able to push the bar up. After the set, I dont feel i havent worked my pecs that much. When i do flies though, i can usually keep doing them until my chest has finally given out and afetr the set, i feel a burn in my pecs.

Try DB bench press. Easier for most people to feel their pecs working.

DB flies are a totally different exercise from presses. Not just the isolation (relative) but the resistance curve (hardest at bottom).
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Location: N.Ireland - Scotland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Adding to what sir_malak said I have noticed a big difference in the BB bench when I tinkered with my form. The fact that you feel you cant push the bar up is something I can definately relate to. Its probably your shoulders giving out before your chest or triceps.
    engaging the pecs in the lift will make a huge difference to how the bench press 'feels'. This helped me...
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...-the-pecs.html
    and
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...technique.html
    "Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves…" - Dao de Ching

The biggest secret in life is not that we go through life discovering ourselves but that we go through life creating our selves. Think about that.

Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jippo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Flies suck ass, but that's my opinion. Bench and weighted dips are what worked for me to finally bring my annoyingly flat chest up to size.

morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Its always with me. Its like i am not sore or got that kick but somehow i cant lift for another set.
    Though my chest still shows improvement.

Though i wont discard bench just because of this as its working for me.my chest still shows improvement over a period of time.

You can try dumbell press to feel that stretch.
    I think gradually your weight lifting capacity will increase. Try doing some dips and push ups. they did help increase my bench to 30 lbs in 4 weeks.

I wouldnt like to leave bench press, flyes and incline dumbell press.

lilsherm51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilsherm51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilsherm51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilsherm51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilsherm51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilsherm51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilsherm51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilsherm51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilsherm51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilsherm51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lilsherm51 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    try not "tucking your elbows" as much to your side, or taking a slightly wider grip.

"matt"'s articles are good, however i found switching to the pec-oriented press (as well as wider grip/not tucking) puts a serious hurting on my shoulders. ive got shotty shoulders, but ive heard it from others as well.

also when you bench, think about squeezing your pecs, really focus on your pecs, lower weight if you have to, i see way to many people bouncing 225 off there chest for reps and think theyre strong (not saying your one of them!) control the weight! your chest isnt a trampoline guys!

JosefRakichFitness.com JOSEF RAKICH's Avatar
    JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Probally your form sucks.

Do both exercises, there are both good staples for a chest workout maby switch it up one time and perform flys before benching.

Originally Posted by matt297 View Post
    Adding to what sir_malak said I have noticed a big difference in the BB bench when I tinkered with my form. The fact that you feel you cant push the bar up is something I can definately relate to. Its probably your shoulders giving out before your chest or triceps.
    engaging the pecs in the lift will make a huge difference to how the bench press 'feels'. This helped me...
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...-the-pecs.html
    and
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...technique.html
    thanks for the video, ill try using that technique next time i bench and see if it makes a difference.

If there is any point in me saying so, i can db bench 26pounds each for 11 reps, and shoulder press 17 pounds each for 11 reps. is there an imbalance between by shoulder/xhest strength?

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I would NEVER replace bench press with flies. I might do each together or bench alone but never flies alone.

Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
    I would NEVER replace bench press with flies. I might do each together or bench alone but never flies alone.
    i usually do a bb bench, db bench and a fly in the same workout, so 3 exercises.

I just feel while benching that without a spotter, its hard to push through the last few reps. All the other guys have spotters helping them lift the last few reps, to exhaust their pecs.

I feel like i dont have enough strength to completly finish that last rep, but i could do it if I just had a bit of assistance... i sure that would give me that pec 'burn' as well lol

o and 1 more question... does anyone feel that on the last rep of the bb/db bench press they feel like they take 4/5 seconds to lift that weight up?

And is it good to pause and rest for 1/2 secs at the top of my bench press, locked out? I usually do so at the end of a set to try and crank out more reps.

Location: N.Ireland - Scotland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    thanks for the video, ill try using that technique next time i bench and see if it makes a difference.

If there is any point in me saying so, i can db bench 26pounds each for 11 reps, and shoulder press 17 pounds each for 11 reps. is there an imbalance between by shoulder/xhest strength?
    NP

At the bottom of the bench press movement there is a great deal of shoulder activation. Its this transferance of power from the tris/chest to the shoulders that makes you feel like you 'just cant lift' the bar.

Your pretty skinny at 105lbs, im guessing wen the bar touches your chest your elbows are well below the bench? By actively pushing up your chest and maintaining an arch you change the ROM to one where the chest and tris are much more activated.

Of course this is my opinion based on my own experience and extensive reading. but i believe this is why you get so many 'my bench press sucks' threads. Form then strength on the BP.
    "Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves…" - Dao de Ching

The biggest secret in life is not that we go through life discovering ourselves but that we go through life creating our selves. Think about that.

Originally Posted by matt297 View Post
    NP

At the bottom of the bench press movement there is a great deal of shoulder activation. Its this transferance of power from the tris/chest to the shoulders that makes you feel like you 'just cant lift' the bar.

Your pretty skinny at 105lbs, im guessing wen the bar touches your chest your elbows are well below the bench? By actively pushing up your chest and maintaining an arch you change the ROM to one where the chest and tris are much more activated.

Of course this is my opinion based on my own experience and extensive reading. but i believe this is why you get so many 'my bench press sucks' threads. Form then strength on the BP.
    so your saying that i should still let the bar touch my chest, but i ca reduce the ROM ( and decrease shoulder involvement) if push my chest up by arching my back.