susy99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) susy99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) susy99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) susy99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) susy99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) susy99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) susy99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) susy99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) susy99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) susy99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) susy99 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Should I lift heavier?

Ok, still a beginner.

Tell me if what I am doing is wrong please.

I do dumbbells at 11 pounds each. I was doing 5.5 before but felt that it was light.
    I do deadlifts at 11 pounds too. This is light, isnt it? I should lift heavier..
    As for squats, I also do with 11 pounds.

I have been training for 2 weeks only. Should I be lifting heavier? I am going to try out to double it. HELP?
    Accept challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory.
    -George S. Patton

Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by susy99 View Post
    Ok, still a beginner.

I do dumbbells at 11 pounds each. I was doing 5.5 before but felt that it was light.
    I do deadlifts at 11 pounds too. This is light, isnt it? I should lift heavier..

I have been training for 2 weeks only. Should I be lifting heavier? I am going to try out to double it. HELP?
    In your last thread, you were going to be doing this workout, right? http://figureathlete.tmuscle.com/art...ts_goodbye&cr= Are you still?

My immediate thought is that you should lift as heavy as you can, which would mean barely being able to finish the last set of any weighted exercise. HOWEVER, I have no experience with any of W.W.'s programs, so he may have another idea. If you're using his program and his eating plan, you may want to ask him about the weights, but I'm pretty sure the *general* answer you'll be getting around here is "go heavier."

But again, if you're doing someone's program, you might want to ask them. To me, even as out of practice as I am, 11 pounds is nothing.
    I am, after all, a heavenly blessed beauty, whose inner beauty and beauty is simply divine and everlasting.

Harry: Erica, will you be my flesh friend?
    Erica: What the hell is that?
    Harry: Phucicngbuttholemonster!
    Erica: WTH?

My Insanity Experiment: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=495939921#post495939921

hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ok, still a beginner.

Weight is all relative. A weight that might be good for chest press, might not be good for a deadlift. So if you do 10 for chest press, you might want to try 15-20 for squats.

Also, whats heavy for you, might not be so for someone else. So as long as it's heavy to you, thats what matters. Keep in mind, learning the correct form is also important, so until you are comfortable with the movemenent, I wouldnt worry too much about moving up the weights.

With that said, I train some ladies in their 50ies and I had them starting at 12.5-15lbs for most exercises. 11 does sound light but you may want to give it a week and then up the weights.

susy99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) susy99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) susy99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) susy99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) susy99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) susy99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) susy99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) susy99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) susy99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) susy99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) susy99 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks girls.
    Tomorrow I am adding.. TONS OF WEIGHT!
    -George S. Patton

Originally Posted by Finner View Post
    In your last thread, you were going to be doing this workout, right? http://figureathlete.tmuscle.com/art...ts_goodbye&cr= Are you still?

My immediate thought is that you should lift as heavy as you can, which would mean barely being able to finish the last set of any weighted exercise. HOWEVER, I have no experience with any of W.W.'s programs, so he may have another idea. If you're using his program and his eating plan, you may want to ask him about the weights, but I'm pretty sure the *general* answer you'll be getting around here is "go heavier."

But again, if you're doing someone's program, you might want to ask them. To me, even as out of practice as I am, 11 pounds is nothing.
    I suppose I should have done that. OMG, I feel so stupid.. but I thought that since I was a fresh beginner I should take it easy. ARGH! waste of time...... it was
    -George S. Patton

fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How the heck do you do deadlifts with 11 pounds?!

Yes, you should be lifting heavier. As heavy as you can with good form, and in the 6-8 rep range (especially for bigger lifts)
    ^_^

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    At 156lbs, I'm guessing you could probably lift over 100lbs in the deadlift if you tried ^_^

So yes, lift heavier.

Now, heavy is relative. To me, I could lift an 11lb dumbbell with my pinky finger. My osteoporosis grandmother might not be able to lift it at all. All that matters is that you progress

That being said, any physically normal 28 yo female should be able to use a hell of a lot more than 11lbs for a squat and deadlift. You are not challenging yourself. That's probably the most common mistake that women make in the weight room (along with undereating).

Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000) Finner is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I suppose I should have done that. OMG, I feel so stupid.. but I thought that since I was a fresh beginner I should take it easy. ARGH! waste of time...... it was
    Don't feel stupid. This bb / fitness stuff can start to get overwhelming. No worries!
    I am, after all, a heavenly blessed beauty, whose inner beauty and beauty is simply divine and everlasting.

Harry: Erica, will you be my flesh friend?
    Erica: What the hell is that?
    Harry: Phucicngbuttholemonster!
    Erica: WTH?

My Insanity Experiment: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=495939921#post495939921

It's Supposed to Hurt! Thuirwyne's Avatar
    Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just make sure you have your form right before you start lifting heavier.

Don't sweat the light weight (although you're past that stage, now, right?). I had a client who could barely do a 5lb dumbell clean to press when we started; now she's all on her own, doing 20lbs, and even got her own PT Certification so it's all about desire and progress!
    Food Aggressive

Nyla_Nguyen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nyla_Nguyen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nyla_Nguyen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nyla_Nguyen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nyla_Nguyen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nyla_Nguyen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nyla_Nguyen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nyla_Nguyen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nyla_Nguyen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nyla_Nguyen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nyla_Nguyen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Get form first before increase weight

Ok, still a beginner.

You want to make sure you execute all exercise with proper form first before increasing weight. Start off with Body weight exercises doing push ups, squats, lunges, chin ups. For push ups, squats and lunges aim for 25-30 reps in perfect form. If you can do it well, than add weights. You need to build a solid foundation first for the basic exercises before adding heavier weights. If you don't have proper form, your changes of being injured will increase and results wont necessary show because you're not getting the most out of your exercises.