Registered User lightningwatche's Avatar
    lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Why can't you do really heavy dumbbell bench press?

People say it is awkward to get them in position, unlike barbell bench press. But can't you just dead lift them, then lean them on the front of your thighs, then sit down with them on your thighs, and then lay back and launch them up by lifting your knees up? I get fifty pounders into position all the time that way. I wonder why someone twice as strong as me would not be able to put the heaviest dumbbells into position that way too, without help.

And if I can't get my last rep in, I don't need a spotter. I just let them fall to the side and I let them go. No strain on me. I think dumbbells are much safer than bench press.

But many people say dumbbell bench press can't be done once they get heavy. Would someone explain this to me?

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Once your getting into the 110s + its another matter, still can be done but takes more momentum/ strength and power.
    I understand its relative at your bodyweight compared to someone 200lbs.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hengman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by lightningwatche View Post
    People say it is awkward to get them in position, unlike barbell bench press. But can't you just dead lift them, then lean them on the front of your thighs, then sit down with them on your thighs, and then lay back and launch them up by lifting your knees up? I get fifty pounders into position all the time that way. I wonder why someone twice as strong as me would not be able to put the heaviest dumbbells into position that way too, without help.

And if I can't get my last rep in, I don't need a spotter. I just let them fall to the side and I let them go. No strain on me. I think dumbbells are much safer than bench press.

But many people say dumbbell bench press can't be done once they get heavy. Would someone explain this to me?
    It's because those dumbasses don't know what they're talking about and they can't do them themselves...

I know A LOT of guys who throw up 150's to the 190's at the gym. Just yesterday night, one guy went up to 165's for reps...

Some of them need a spotter, and some don't... However, these guys set up the weights the same way... They put them on their knees and they lay down and throw them weights up.

Anybody who says that it's impossible to do this are the ones who use excuses to not lift that ****.

Mickdamill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's because the dumbells combined can weigh more than the person lifting them. You may be strong enough to lift them but when each DB you're throwing up weighs 3/4's your body weight it can easily throw you off balance.

Not saying you need help cause there is any easy way to get them up set them on your knees then lay back. There is no need to launch them to your shoulders with your knees if you're just doing bench.

nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Hengman View Post
    It's because those dumbasses don't know what they're talking about and they can't do them themselves...

I know A LOT of guys who throw up 150's to the 190's at the gym. Just yesterday night, one guy went up to 165's for reps...

Some of them need a spotter, and some don't... However, these guys set up the weights the same way... They put them on their knees and they lay down and throw them weights up.

Anybody who says that it's impossible to do this are the ones who use excuses to not lift that ****.
    Yea this is what I do, my gym goes to 150's so thats what I use. Set them on my hips and roll back onto bench and they pop right into place, no need for a spotter unless I want to force out a couple assisted reps.

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Sticky: NOoB Guide - How to create a 1-star thread
    Rule number 10
    Sort of
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

_OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000)

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Practice makes perfect. I am able to "kick" up heavier DB's without issues after years of practicing.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Maverick777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I manage to rep 90's and I only weigh 160.

Pick them up, place on top of leg. Start leaning back, use legs to kick up dumbbells into place, stabilize, and go.
    Daily Trading FX - HA - S&R

SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by _OZ_ View Post
    This is how I get my dumbells into position. I also use the weight of the dumbells falling forward when lockedout to get back up instead of dropping them off to the sides.
    MSC

Best Raw Total: 1405

Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have heard a lot of people complain about this... IMO it is because most people use way too heavy of a weight for DB press and only go half way down, so they are actually using way more weight than they are strong enough to set up. Maybe their legs and back are really weak too so picking up a weight off the ground is difficult for them.

At the end of the day, if you do deadlifts, squats etc regularly there is no reason you shouldn't be strong enough to pick up a friggin dumbbell off the ground/rack and bring it to your thigh. Once it's there, if you are using an appropriate weight all you need to do is lean back, let the weights fall into your armpit area, pause for a sec and press. I did this yesterday with 110s and I'm not a big guy.

im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I can't say I have ever had this problem

Nskrd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nskrd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nskrd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nskrd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nskrd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nskrd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nskrd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nskrd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nskrd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nskrd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nskrd has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Use momentum to lift them from the ground to your legs, rest a little bit then lean back and kick them up with your legs. A little more exhausting than regular BB bench, but it's still doable.
    "You can hate on me all you want to, but what can you possibly say to somebody who looks like Rambo, pretty much, without his shirt off?"

Nskrd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nskrd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nskrd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nskrd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nskrd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nskrd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nskrd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nskrd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nskrd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nskrd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nskrd has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Lector606 View Post
    if you are using an appropriate weight all you need to do is lean back, let the weights fall into your armpit area, pause for a sec and press. I did this yesterday with 110s and I'm not a big guy.
    That works for flat but it's a little trickier on the incline bench.
    "You can hate on me all you want to, but what can you possibly say to somebody who looks like Rambo, pretty much, without his shirt off?"

Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Nskrd View Post
    That works for flat but it's a little trickier on the incline bench.
    What kind of incline do you use? I have never had this problem, although I guess it could be tough if you have a steep incline... But then again, if you are going to do a steep inclined DB press I think you might as well just do overhead press, less wear and tear on your shoulder joint..

Originally Posted by Lector606 View Post
    What kind of incline do you use? I have never had this problem, although I guess it could be tough if you have a steep incline... But then again, if you are going to do a steep inclined DB press I think you might as well just do overhead press, less wear and tear on your shoulder joint..
    I do it at a slightly below 45 degree angle. I find that if I simply lean back holding the weights on my sides they end up below the armpit and chest, and it's hard to pull them up from there. Could be that I have short arms.

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    I honestly never knew people had such a difficult time getting DB's into position before I joined this site. IRL I only ever saw a couple of guys ever need a spotter to hand their DB's to them. If you do, I question that you don't need to be doing some other strengthening exercises first before working on your presses.

I do it at a slightly below 45 degree angle. I find that if I simply lean back holding the weights on my sides they end up below the armpit and chest, and it's hard to pull them up from there. Could be that I have short arms.
    What you do in that situation is basically "lift" them up with your knee into position one side at a time. It's pretty simple once you get the knack.

Edit: Basically, like this:

Last edited by VoxExMachina; 04-20-2010 at 12:11 PM.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    I honestly never knew people had such a difficult time getting DB's into position before I joined this site. IRL I only ever saw a couple of guys ever need a spotter to hand their DB's to them. If you do, I question that you don't need to be doing some other strengthening exercises first before working on your presses.

What you do in that situation is basically "lift" them up with your knee into position one side at a time. It's pretty simple once you get the knack.

Edit: Basically, like this:
    Yup. That's exactly what I do. I was just trying to say that you might not need to do that on the flat bench, whereas you might on the incline.

DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerReise will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Kick with your thighs and then at the same time slide down a little while the dumbbells are coming into place. This might help. If you're stiff and not moving I can see how this may happen, however, if you put your body in motion to adjust equally you should be good.

Registered User bobrobertmcbobby's Avatar
    bobrobertmcbobby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

dumbell press

It seems harder for most to stabilize the weight when using dumbbells. I found that once you lay back with them its easier to lift from right at your chest straight up with heavy weight. I'm sure we've all had the embarrassing moment of trying to go heavy and letting the dumbbells get too low beside you the first rep and having to drop them in front of everyone lol. Don't overdo it. Work your way up. Stabilizing heavy dumbbells uses different muscles than the bar. Six years ago I couldn't put up 90s. About a year ago I decided to slowly work my way up by about 5 pounds every 2 to 3 weeks and now I can put up 115s with ease. I feel dumbbell press is way easier on my shoulders and works my chest more. I have hardly ever been able to throw up 225 on bench but now I dumbbell press 230. I don't even attempt regular bench anymore because the dumbbells seem so much more effective. On decline just throw the left dumbbell on the pad then using your knee get the right one up as you strattle the decline bench lift the right dumbell back to your knee and swing your right leg into place. Now lay back while dropping both dumbells to your chest. Lift them up and swing your left leg into place. People look at you like your crazy sometimes for using heavy dumbbells on decline but its really not that hard to do it without a spotter

darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by lightningwatche View Post

I dont know.....can you explain to us how you've been working out since at least 2007 and all you can do is 50lb dumbbell bench presses?????