bosonnew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein powder vs. milk

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out whether I should supplement with protein powder. Can you please advice me on this?

I am a vegan who's trying to gain muscle without gaining fat. I already supplement with:
    - creatine (for obvious reasons - it works and it seems safe)
    - omega 3 (because it's hard to get enough from my diet without getting too much mercury and other toxics)

I train six times a week, mixing up strength training and interval-cardio (like rowing and sprinting). I eat approximately 3,000 calories per day, which is slightly above maintenance level for me (being 6'2 and 165 lbs). I aim for a 1:4 ratio of protein-to-carbs because I've read a lot of sports science research saying that this is the best ratio for refueling doing exercise and recovery post-exercise. So far I've just been assuming that it's probably also the best for the rest of the day, to keep things simple.

As a vegan, my alternatives are soy protein powder and rice protein powder. The question is, can't I just drink soy milk and/or rice milk and get the same benefits while keeping it 'natural'? The guys at Wikipedia (see: Bodybuilding_supplement) haven't yet provided scientific evidence that protein powder is beneficial for people who already get above 1g per kg of bodyweight. I think I'm currently at 2g/kg.

Do you know of any such research or do you have relevant personal experiences?

Thanks!

chocolatemilk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) chocolatemilk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) chocolatemilk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) chocolatemilk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) chocolatemilk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) chocolatemilk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) chocolatemilk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) chocolatemilk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) chocolatemilk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) chocolatemilk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) chocolatemilk is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    how about you quit being a pansy ******* and eat meat and meat products like a normal person

Originally Posted by chocolatemilk View Post
    how about you quit being a pansy ******* and eat meat and meat products like a normal person
    That was insightful and helpful.

Seriously though, does meat have anything beneficial in meat I'm not getting already?

NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000) NZDarren is just really nice. (+1000)

natetrig will become famous soon enough. (+50) natetrig will become famous soon enough. (+50) natetrig will become famous soon enough. (+50) natetrig will become famous soon enough. (+50) natetrig will become famous soon enough. (+50) natetrig will become famous soon enough. (+50) natetrig will become famous soon enough. (+50) natetrig will become famous soon enough. (+50) natetrig will become famous soon enough. (+50) natetrig will become famous soon enough. (+50) natetrig will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I personally am a fan of protein powders, you can get way more protein for cheap and its fast and easy. What turns most people off is using a bad company that makes crap protein that your body doesnt even absorb. I think ON makes soy protein powder, and ISOPURE might as well, which are both quality proteins. Its not the same as drinking the milk because its way more consentrated. I personally have to use protein powders because its almost impossible for me to have time during the day to eat 230g's of protein from food alone since im in school.
    "Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it" Vaclav Havel

The mind controls the body. If you are motivated to reach your goals, your mind will make it a reality.
    -Natetrig

Originally Posted by NZDarren View Post
    Ingenious.

huge908 is just really nice. (+1000) huge908 is just really nice. (+1000) huge908 is just really nice. (+1000) huge908 is just really nice. (+1000) huge908 is just really nice. (+1000) huge908 is just really nice. (+1000) huge908 is just really nice. (+1000) huge908 is just really nice. (+1000) huge908 is just really nice. (+1000) huge908 is just really nice. (+1000) huge908 is just really nice. (+1000)
    -HitTheRack.net-

KobraKaiKonti will become famous soon enough. (+50) KobraKaiKonti will become famous soon enough. (+50) KobraKaiKonti will become famous soon enough. (+50) KobraKaiKonti will become famous soon enough. (+50) KobraKaiKonti will become famous soon enough. (+50) KobraKaiKonti will become famous soon enough. (+50) KobraKaiKonti will become famous soon enough. (+50) KobraKaiKonti will become famous soon enough. (+50) KobraKaiKonti will become famous soon enough. (+50) KobraKaiKonti will become famous soon enough. (+50) KobraKaiKonti will become famous soon enough. (+50)

ok you are not a pansy *******

while it is unfortunate that you are opposed to meat and products that come from animals, you can still supplement with protien. Yes, keep in mind that you can just keep drinking a lot of soy milk as a protien booster but if you get straight soy protien you dont have to chug as many bottles of soy milk. I say it is unfortunate because whey and animal meat are complete sources of protiens supplying all of the essential amino acids and soy and other sources of protien have a bit less i believe.

On the other hand, my old conditioning coach was a vegan and he was the strongest mofo in the gym...it was nutz.

I would def keep doing what you are doing and i see no reason why you can gain a lot of strength and weight by eating big, get some more protien in ya, and training hard. Keep it up

Kung-fusion is just really nice. (+1000) Kung-fusion is just really nice. (+1000) Kung-fusion is just really nice. (+1000) Kung-fusion is just really nice. (+1000) Kung-fusion is just really nice. (+1000) Kung-fusion is just really nice. (+1000) Kung-fusion is just really nice. (+1000) Kung-fusion is just really nice. (+1000) Kung-fusion is just really nice. (+1000) Kung-fusion is just really nice. (+1000) Kung-fusion is just really nice. (+1000)
    You are not going to get "big muscular" eating nothing but plants. But if "lean muscular" is okay with you, I'd say go ahead and get the rice and soy protein powders and mix them IN rice milk and/or soy milk to get a super rice/soy milk that has far more protein than the milks alone. In other words, don't mix the powders in water.
    "Involuntary spasm! Witness the show! Enjoy the show!"

Originally Posted by Kung-fusion View Post
    You are not going to get "big muscular" eating nothing but plants. But if "lean muscular" is okay with you, I'd say go ahead and get the rice and soy protein powders and mix them IN rice milk and/or soy milk to get a super rice/soy milk that has far more protein than the milks alone. In other words, don't mix the powders in water.
    I never thought of that, but sounds like a good idea! And yes, I'm definitely going for lean muscular rather than big muscular.

Brothylated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brothylated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brothylated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brothylated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brothylated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brothylated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brothylated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brothylated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brothylated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brothylated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brothylated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    what the **** is milk? I want some white drink baby.

KashMoni has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KashMoni has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KashMoni has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KashMoni has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KashMoni has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KashMoni has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KashMoni has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KashMoni has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KashMoni has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KashMoni has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KashMoni has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    there are websites and forums dedicated to vegetarian bodybuilding who will probably be more helpful and understanding, while I don't agree with your diet style, I still think you should get the most of your decision.
    Reps on recharge owed to:
    You!
    ===
    De_eb & PinchTheBear, I have to spread some love b4 I can rep you two.

createeen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) createeen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) createeen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) createeen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) createeen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) createeen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) createeen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) createeen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) createeen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) createeen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) createeen has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    also try some wheat protein powder frm Ultimate nutrition.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/un/isolate.html
    Suitable For Vegans!

Wheat Protein Supplement With Added Digestive Enzymes!
    Last edited by createeen; 04-19-2010 at 10:45 PM.

zenzone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zenzone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zenzone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zenzone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zenzone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zenzone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zenzone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zenzone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zenzone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zenzone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zenzone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Soy protein is the only plant protein that is equivalent to animal protein. Soy protein contains all the nine essential amino acids. The U.S. Department of Agriculture evaluates protein quality using the Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acids Score (PDCAAS). PDCAAS measures the amino acid pattern of proteins and factors in digestibility. Soy protein has a PDCAAS score of 1.0, equivalent to animal protein such as casein (milk protein). Animal proteins are considered to be better in quality compared to plant proteins.

however, I used to consume soy protein powder and was a soy milk drinker. The results in comparison to the whey IMO was not even close. I don't use soy anymore.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Soy?

Just say no to estrogen!

Interesting points.

Is anyone aware of a single scientific study showing that protein supplements (beyond a balanced diet) actually facilitate muscle growth?

I find it interesting that protein supplements sell as well as (if not better than) creatine despite the fact that there a dozens of studies supporting the latter, but almost none supporting the former. Or have I just missed them?

TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Krispy Kreme Krew Forever.
    Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity.