hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Please explain this to me! upper and lower ab question

Ok so I noticed that my stomach as a whole is getting flatter but it seems that only the top part is getting firmer, the bottom part is still flabby. I work all parts of my abs, actually I feel as if I put more energy into lower abs and I eat a good amount of fiber. I mean I know I get my junk in as well but I just thought the abs would gain muscle evenly...does that make sense? It seems like my upper abs are making more progress than my lower abs, which to me seems strange because I don't really concentrate on the upper part of my abs that much
    Push it to the limit!!!!

Favorite saying - GO GET IT!

I am a "beastess" - thanks Brian!!!

12-11-10 first powerlifting meet
    314.16/187/341 - 843 lbs total raw!

3-26-11 USPA state championship
    314.16/198.7/352 - 865lbs total raw - best female raw lifter (Open division)

On to nationals!!!

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Most women carry more fat below the belly button (lower ab area). If you're like most women, chances are your entire upper body will look quite lean before your hips, glutes and thighs catch on, too...

happily married hottie! aznprincess's Avatar
    aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000) aznprincess is just really nice. (+1000)
    yep. you'll probably get leaner (which is what is happening to you ) from top to bottom.

justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    As far as muscle development goes there is no such thing as "upper" and "lower" abs. At least not in the portion that you can see, the rectus abdominus. It's all one muscle. The "six-pack" indentations are fibrous connective tissue between the muscle sections which allow you to articulate the muscle, but if you are flexing your rectus abdominius, the whole thing is flexing... not just the top or bottom. If you feel mushy on the bottom its because you're carrying more body fat there (which it totally normal, particularly for a woman) which can only be effected by diet.
    Citius! Fortius! Altius!

www.miamifuryfootball.com

Justass of the Piece, #3.14
    Miami Fury starting center, retired roller derby player and coach and continually aspiring tough chick

hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks ladies! Well my diet is coming together and I know that I'm dropping fat so I will just have to exercise the hardest muscle of all now....patience
    Push it to the limit!!!!

On to nationals!!!

My first fig comp 10-2! trish123's Avatar
    trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) trish123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by hmotb555 View Post
    Thanks ladies! Well my diet is coming together and I know that I'm dropping fat so I will just have to exercise the hardest muscle of all now....patience
    You got it. One good tactic is to weigh yourself and do other measurements only on x number of days, say every 3 - 4 weeks. That way you can focus more on eating right and exercise as opposed to watching the scale for the numbers to change. Changing body shape is like very *gradual* hills and valleys.... to be healthy you want it to take time.
    ====================================
    It's lunchtime at corporate America.... Get off your as* and lift!
    ====================================

ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I weigh myself every two or three weeks. I'm due for a weigh in this week. I refuse to buy a scale because I know I'll be on it every damn day.

kfprr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kfprr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kfprr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kfprr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kfprr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kfprr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kfprr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kfprr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kfprr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kfprr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kfprr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ironbelle View Post
    I weigh myself every two or three weeks. I'm due for a weigh in this week. I refuse to buy a scale because I know I'll be on it every damn day.
    Indeed, and good on ya...Half the time it seems like women step on the scale JUST so they can b**** at themselves. The numbers don't tell you much!
    ~*~"You can stop now. Stop trying to figure it out. Stop trying to get enlightened. Stop
    concentrating. Stop investigating. Stop meditating. Stop trying to stop. Be as you are."
    Kenneth Folk.~*~

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ok so I noticed that my stomach as a whole is getting flatter but it seems that only the top part is getting firmer, the bottom part is still flabby. I work all parts of my abs, actually I feel as if I put more energy into lower abs and I eat a good amount of fiber. I mean I know I get my junk in as well but I just thought the abs would gain muscle evenly...does that make sense? It seems like my upper abs are making more progress than my lower abs, which to me seems strange because I don't really concentrate on the upper part of my abs that much
    What do you do for abs? Common issue. While bodyfat IS a part of it is not the whole part.

"Isolation" does not mean complete isolation; that is a straw-man. It means "emphasis".

Certain exercises definitely "emphasize" the lower abs.

Note:

while this example might seem trite, it has actually prompted physiologists (e.g. McGill et. al.) to study what was going on. Important to note McGill initially said "no, can't do it".

The conclusion seems to be that at least SOME people can relatively "isolate" parts of their abs. Makes sense given the multiple innervations to the rectus and peoples subjective experience.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    lol...that's a belly roll, ala belly dancing.

anybody CAN do that...it just takes some years of practice. There are also more complicated moves where you freeze your diaphragm and make the upper area flutter.

Julie01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Julie01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Amanda76 View Post
    Most women carry more fat below the belly button (lower ab area). If you're like most women, chances are your entire upper body will look quite lean before your hips, glutes and thighs catch on, too...
    I am having the same issue. And it is true what you are saying. My upper body is leaning out faster than my lower body. This includes upper and lower abs too... UHH!

I am using the stepmill like crazy to help catch my lower body up to my upper body. And I think it is working. I have dropped a pant size in 3 weeks....

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TheAmazon View Post
    lol...that's a belly roll, ala belly dancing.

anybody CAN do that...it just takes some years of practice. There are also more complicated moves where you freeze your diaphragm and make the upper area flutter.
    right....

...the point being the rectus doesn't always contract equally as one unit....

...your second point would back mine up...
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    That video made my rectus flutter.

Defiant, do you have link for the journal article that you referenced? I'd be interested in reading more about this.
    Simp's Back: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165133671&page=1

Working to regain strength, muscle, endurance, and lose some blubber. Damn you drinking-wine-on-the-couch. Why are you so good?

I do all types of abdominal work. I do the knee raises, crunches, planks, I do exercises with my medicine ball, I take yoga and I am eating healthy and I am at a deficit...I actually just lost 3lbs....I carry majority of my weight in my mid-section....my upper and lower body are getting firmer and so I think my abs will be the last place to lose the fat
    Push it to the limit!!!!

On to nationals!!!

justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    right....

...the point being the rectus doesn't always contract equally as one unit....

...your second point would back mine up...
    My point wasn't that it contracts equally as one unit, but that with the range of motion required to contract through a typical abdominal exercise (one that places enough stress on the muscle for growth or strength) the entire muscle will fire. I agree that you can contract various portions of the muscle isometrically in sequence, just like you can with your tongue (its a single muscle but most people can articulate it just as a belly dancer does with her abs). It doesn't mean that you should work "lower abs" to try and get visible results because its ineffective.
    Citius! Fortius! Altius!

Miami Fury starting center, retired roller derby player and coach and continually aspiring tough chick

I do all types of abdominal work. I do the knee raises, crunches, planks, I do exercises with my medicine ball, I take yoga and I am eating healthy and I am at a deficit...I actually just lost 3lbs....I carry majority of my weight in my mid-section....my upper and lower body are getting firmer and so I think my abs will be the last place to lose the fat
    Congrats on everything you've accomplished so far! Keep it up...its the last place for a lot of people (particularly women).
    Citius! Fortius! Altius!

Originally Posted by justass View Post
    My point wasn't that it contracts equally as one unit, but that with the range of motion required to contract through a typical abdominal exercise (one that places enough stress on the muscle for growth or strength) the entire muscle will fire. I agree that you can contract various portions of the muscle isometrically in sequence, just like you can with your tongue (its a single muscle but most people can articulate it just as a belly dancer does with her abs). It doesn't mean that you should work "lower abs" to try and get visible results because its ineffective.
    The fact that it is a "single muscle" doesn't at all explain its function. Gross anatomical nomenclature is just that. Determined centuries ago. As prev. stated, the rectus has multiple MAIN innervations, not just secondary ones, similar to the clavicular and sternal pectorals.

I am saying "emphasis". If you are saying that the lower abs cannot be measured being used in "priority", during "result producing" intensity, that is not correct.

If I am misinterpreting you I apologize.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Nyla_Nguyen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nyla_Nguyen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nyla_Nguyen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nyla_Nguyen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nyla_Nguyen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nyla_Nguyen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nyla_Nguyen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nyla_Nguyen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nyla_Nguyen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nyla_Nguyen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nyla_Nguyen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Lose fat from top to bottom first

this is normal, your body tends to lose fat from top to bottom. So first you'll notice in the shoulder areas and arms first and then it will go to your mid section and then lower extremities. this is true for abs as well. First 4 abs are easy to achieve, last remaining 2 is always hard. It requires a strict diet and a good amount of resistance training in the abdominal area to tone it up and lots of cardio to get rid of water weight and fat.

Originally Posted by Nyla_Nguyen View Post
    this is normal, your body tends to lose fat from top to bottom. So first you'll notice in the shoulder areas and arms first and then it will go to your mid section and then lower extremities. this is true for abs as well. First 4 abs are easy to achieve, last remaining 2 is always hard. It requires a strict diet and a good amount of resistance training in the abdominal area to tone it up and lots of cardio to get rid of water weight and fat.
    Yeah water weight sucks....I feel like everything just goes straight to my abs lol! If only my abs could be as firm as my upper and lower body, even my butt is pretty firm! I just gotta tighten the diet up more and keep working! But I am glad that I'm making progress so I'm happy about that!

Thanks justass!
    Push it to the limit!!!!

On to nationals!!!