thyzax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

One arm SIGNIFICANTLY weaker than the other

Not sure if this is in the right section or it should be in injuries, but here goes.

I only just started going to the gym (~2 weeks now) and I'm doing SL 5x5.

My problem is my left arm is MUCH weaker than my right. I feel this is due to dislocating my left shoulder in 2005, for which I never did physio and basically the arm has always been weak and gets easily sore. For example I can't really do shoulder dislocation exercises, after about 3 I can feel and hear the shoulder "popping" each time, getting louder and more painful as I continue doing shoulder dislocations.

My problem is most noticeable on bench press. Even pressing at low weights (25-30kg) after say 4 sets my right arm feels fine (as it should since the weight isn't really very much), however my left arm is practically dead. The muscle in the arm feels extremely tight and sore, and I can barely lift the bar on my left side. It feels like I've been lifting the bar with one arm the entire time.

I've tried adjusting the weight to focus more of it on the right arm, but it's having no effect. This is really limiting my progress as I can't add any weight since basically my right arm is fine, but my left arm is as strong as a 10 year old girl.

Is there any specific exercises I can do to get my left arm up to par in a decent amount of time? Also does it sound like I should maybe see a doctor or physio about my shoulder, or will it 'take care of itself' as I continue training.

Thanks

Hiding from ForumNature 400Lb Gorilla's Avatar
    400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz
    keep working it and the muscles will even out in strength and size. dont start working them seperately or the problem may reverse. i do have a question though.... could you give me an example of a shoulder "DISLOCATION" exercise? i may be misunderstanding this or you are wording it wrong but of all the programs and exercises i have heard of i have never heard of a dislocating exercise

and yes get the shoulder checked out if it is that painful

Originally Posted by 400Lb Gorilla View Post
    keep working it and the muscles will even out in strength and size. dont start working them seperately or the problem may reverse. i do have a question though.... could you give me an example of a shoulder "DISLOCATION" exercise? i may be misunderstanding this or you are wording it wrong but of all the programs and exercises i have heard of i have never heard of a dislocating exercise

I am unable to post links, if you google "shoulder dislocations exercise" the first link (SL) should give you information on it. It might also go under different names, in Magnificent Mobility DVD it's listed as Overhead broomstick dislocations

Thanks for the reply

BIG ACH will become famous soon enough. (+50) BIG ACH will become famous soon enough. (+50) BIG ACH will become famous soon enough. (+50) BIG ACH will become famous soon enough. (+50) BIG ACH will become famous soon enough. (+50) BIG ACH will become famous soon enough. (+50) BIG ACH will become famous soon enough. (+50) BIG ACH will become famous soon enough. (+50) BIG ACH will become famous soon enough. (+50) BIG ACH will become famous soon enough. (+50) BIG ACH will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I tend to agree with 400 Lbs Gorilla! Just keep training normally and pushing yourself on both arms! The weak arm will eventually catch up.

I think thats pretty common in lots of bodybuilders, It was well known that Arnold's right arm was bigger than his left.

I know one arm is meant to be weaker, but this seems like a huge discrepancy. However I have only just started training after a lifetime of malnutrition and inactivity (I weight 100 pounds / sit at a computer most of the day) so I will just keep at it for a while more and see how things go.

Thanks

ddddeano is not very well liked. (-100) ddddeano is not very well liked. (-100) ddddeano is not very well liked. (-100) ddddeano is not very well liked. (-100) ddddeano is not very well liked. (-100) ddddeano is not very well liked. (-100) ddddeano is not very well liked. (-100) ddddeano is not very well liked. (-100) ddddeano is not very well liked. (-100) ddddeano is not very well liked. (-100) ddddeano is not very well liked. (-100)
    7 years later. How's ur arm buddy?

Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ddddeano View Post
    7 years later. How's ur arm buddy?
    Why would you intentionally bump a 8 year old thread? smh
    FS/ S/ OHP/ B/ DL
    120/150/70/100/180 =KG
    I don't go to the gym anymore so above stats are useless.

Only do weighted calastentics in the comfort of my own home!

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173620211&page=138 go here if you want an estimation on your bf%

BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by 400Lb Gorilla View Post

He's probably talking about shoulder dislocates which is when you use a PVC pipe and do a series of movements to improve shoulder mobility. A lot of Olympic style lifters do them, I did when learning to snatch and overhead squat.
    Bench -216lbs
    Squat - 268lbs
    Deadlift - 375lbs
    OHP - 134lbs