DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Best way to improve 1.5 mile run?

My current PR is 11:40 which is obvious I could use a lot of improvement. I wanna run a 1.5 mile under 10:00 which I think is possible.

I'm asking because I just moved to New Mexico March 18 and where I am at is a higher elevation and my run time has taken a dive to 13:00.

Some problems I have is running out of breath quickly and not being able to keep a pace.

And I know I'm already skinny, but would cutting down to 170 pounds help improve my run?

UNOMav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UNOMav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UNOMav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UNOMav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UNOMav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UNOMav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UNOMav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UNOMav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UNOMav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UNOMav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UNOMav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by DavidJr74 View Post
    My current PR is 11:40 which is obvious I could use a lot of improvement. I wanna run a 1.5 mile under 10:00 which I think is possible.

I'm asking because I just moved to New Mexico March 18 and where I am at is a higher elevation and my run time has taken a dive to 13:00.

Some problems I have is running out of breath quickly and not being able to keep a pace.

And I know I'm already skinny, but would cutting down to 170 pounds help improve my run?
    Just keep running 1.5 miles
    I ran 1.5 miles on Monday, Wednesday and Friday this week.
    Mondays time 11:55
    Wednesday 11:43
    Friday 11:32

llcoolray3000 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) llcoolray3000 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) llcoolray3000 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) llcoolray3000 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) llcoolray3000 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) llcoolray3000 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) llcoolray3000 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) llcoolray3000 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) llcoolray3000 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) llcoolray3000 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) llcoolray3000 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Don't confine yourself to the treadmill. Run around the block, on a track, a treadmill - mix it up. Time yourself at a set interval (i.e. every other run, once a week, whatever). It's you against you, so you've got to keep beating your previous best time in the front of your mind. On a treadmill where you can control/monitor your speed more accurately consciously increase your speed at set intervals (i.e. increase a tenth of a mph per eighth of a mile, or half a mph every quarter a mile), and either increase the speed or shorten the interval every three or four runs.

Or just do like the other guy said and keep running a mile and a half. You'll get faster eventually.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can get more bang for your buck mixing intervals with tempo runs.

Try intervals 2x a week, and two tempo runs of 3 miles.

You'll do fine.

If you want to get more advanced with your prep this place has a good guide on prgramming your runs to max out your 1.5 mile time: www.sealswcc.com

You should be okay with the altitude by now, its been a month.

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you moved to a significnty hight elevation then your body has to get used to it so your times will be down for a while. I would not try to lose weight until you've given it a bougth 4 months.

jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DavidJr74 View Post

Lighter weight is easier to move around simply. The best thing to do is lower body fat and then see where you are at though.
    =============================================
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!
    =============================================

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by carl.c View Post
    If you moved to a significnty hight elevation then your body has to get used to it so your times will be down for a while. I would not try to lose weight until you've given it a bougth 4 months.
    Thats bs. When I deployed to Afghanistan at a much higher altitude it took me about two weeks to adjust.

4 months? where did you get that fun fact?

Tim01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    You can get more bang for your buck mixing intervals with tempo runs.
    Agreed.

The most specific training pace for your intervals would be your 1.5mile pace. However, bearing in mind a time trial over this distance will require a significant contribution from both aerobic and anaerobic energy systems, you may also want to consider performing longer intervals (to develop your aerobic capacity) and shorter intervals (to develop your anaerobic capacity).
    http://www.sprintstrong.com

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    DCspartan: Here come the persiton police since it only took you 2 weeks(4 days longer then the average) to get used to altitude then everyone else should take the exsact amont of time.
    The studies show and ,"I know they are wrong since it only took you a short time and the rest of the human race must there fore follow your pysiology" but most studies show that 80% of people take 10 days and 95% of people are aclimitised by the 45th day.
    So why did I say four months. First problem is I used the word "about" that must have confused you sorry for using big words. Secondly the kid is going to try and cut weight when he is already skin and bone (based on the posted pic) so that will slow his bodies ability to adjust since he will not have the proper nutrition for his body to make the pysiolocigcal transiton. Unlike you he is not in a high state of fitness so it will take longer for his body to make the change. Remimber your vo2 max and lactate threshold is higher then his from your training.
    third problem is he could fall into the 5% of people who never adjust or take a longer period of time then the average, so it would be best to advice a long adjustment period. This way he dosn't freak out after a few weeks of slow progress with luck he will adjust normaly with in the 10 day window and everything will be fine.

DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    DCspartan: Here come the persiton police since it only took you 2 weeks(4 days longer then the average) to get used to altitude then everyone else should take the exsact amont of time.
    The studies show and ,"I know they are wrong since it only took you a short time and the rest of the human race must there fore follow your pysiology" but most studies show that 80% of people take 10 days and 95% of people are aclimitised by the 45th day.
    So why did I say four months. First problem is I used the word "about" that must have confused you sorry for using big words. Secondly the kid is going to try and cut weight when he is already skin and bone (based on the posted pic) so that will slow his bodies ability to adjust since he will not have the proper nutrition for his body to make the pysiolocigcal transiton. Unlike you he is not in a high state of fitness so it will take longer for his body to make the change. Remimber your vo2 max and lactate threshold is higher then his from your training.
    third problem is he could fall into the 5% of people who never adjust or take a longer period of time then the average, so it would be best to advice a long adjustment period. This way he dosn't freak out after a few weeks of slow progress with luck he will adjust normaly with in the 10 day window and everything will be fine.
    Your skin and bones.

edit: but serious good advice.

Gonna mix intervals and tempo runs it is then.

you are making way too much of the altitude thing. Again, looking for some real life experience from you at altitude.

I also argue that the best way to adapt is to start exercising right away. But again, why let real life get in the way of your theories.