Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by itsgroll View Post
    im 3 weeks out, im upping my cardio slightly and going to add in some more HIIT sessions and see what happens.
    just be careful, depending on your deficit, you may just be burning away muscle
    ...imnoting

Team Boss Barbell Club Rsardinia's Avatar
    Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You look fine dude. I freaked out when I thought your first pics were you at 4 weeks out. I was like you are screwed lol.

Train smarter, not harder itsgroll's Avatar
    itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by AniMaLizTik View Post
    just be careful, depending on your deficit, you may just be burning away muscle
    layne is being very carefull with me, as to not loose muscle. The dude is truely a genius by the way! And a very nice guy
    BS Kinesiology
    MS Exercise Physiology (current)

"Intensity builds immensity" - Kevin Levrone

24 mos. CLEAN BULK...hittin the weights hard and the fridge EVEN harder
    Preparing for Open Overall Champ May 2012
    Preparing for IFPA Pro Card Aug 2012

**Team Norton 2010**

itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) itsgroll is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    well here we go again with some more updates

these were taken after only breakfast and a morning HIIT session. Im 17 days away from contest. Im really concerned about my hamms and gluets not coming in. I do 4 days of 50min LISS on either the stepper or bike along with 3 days of 25' HIIT sessions on the bike or sprints outside up and down stairs. Im continuously loosing weight every week but im not seeing the fat drop from the back of the legs

also, please be critical on my poses. Thanks again!
    BS Kinesiology

**Team Norton 2010**

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ryan,
    I think what you have to realize is that with someone like you, who has an imbalance where their upper body leans out far before their legs, but they have bigger legs than upper body, you have to walk a fine line between getting the legs lean enough without sacrificing too much upper body mass. To be quite honest this is something that gets fixed over years, not months. It comes down to being very detailed in the offseason and really keeping in the HIIT cardio. Francisco Montealegre is a perfect example. He used to have a very difficult time getting his legs lean enough. But he absolutely killed his HIIT in the offseason & added significant size to his upper body so that he would have room to lose some if need be in order to get his legs in shape. And now onstage you would never know that he had a problem getting his legs lean enough (see picture).

I think you've worked very hard during this prep but as usual, we all mindf*** ourselves at 4 weeks out, I am guilty of it as well. So I think you need to relax and just focus on being at your all time best and let the chips fall where they may.

-Layne

AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AniMaLizTik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^^^Interesting Layne. I always thought that the areas that a person gained and lost fat first were genetic, but you are saying HIIT in the offseason will keep the legs leaner or just aid in better nutrient partitioning?

I can say that since i started doing HIIT a couple years ago, my legs stay pretty lean year round, so i believe it works, just don't know why or how
    ...imnoting

Moreps has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Moreps has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hey Ryan, you look terrific man. No need to stress out at this point. Your legs will get as dialed in as possible come show time. Just keep listening to Dr. Norton and have confidence in yourself!
    Discipline is only a by product of Desire.

JustNavid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustNavid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustNavid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustNavid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustNavid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustNavid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustNavid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustNavid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustNavid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustNavid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustNavid has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ryan, Looking awsome, Im sure those legs will also start showing soon enough! just keep goin bro!
    Im that kid, Im the kid who lifts more than you with perfect form, Im the kid who leaves his ego before walking to the gym, Im the kid that respects you if you respect him, Now you know me, Im that kid :)

My name is Navid and I've won the 2013 BNBF British Championships at the age of 19.

I rep back Twice (srs) - The best Coder/Designer you will ever find! PM if you need something done (PHP/Ajax/CSS/Mysql) -

DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ^^^Interesting Layne. I always thought that the areas that a person gained and lost fat first were genetic, but you are saying HIIT in the offseason will keep the legs leaner or just aid in better nutrient partitioning?

I can say that since i started doing HIIT a couple years ago, my legs stay pretty lean year round, so i believe it works, just don't know why or how
    this. very interesting/cool idea. i may have to do this

Trapzillaoo7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trapzillaoo7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trapzillaoo7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trapzillaoo7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trapzillaoo7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trapzillaoo7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trapzillaoo7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trapzillaoo7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trapzillaoo7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trapzillaoo7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trapzillaoo7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Try to step out wider(or to your left as we view your picture) with your back leg on the rear poses, turn your knee outward a touch and sit down into the pose. It will show your hammies more.

You're doing great, keep on truckin!

Brian

well here we go again with some more updates

these were taken after only breakfast and a morning HIIT session. Im 17 days away from contest. Im really concerned about my hamms and gluets not coming in. I do 4 days of 50min LISS on either the stepper or bike along with 3 days of 25' HIIT sessions on the bike or sprints outside up and down stairs. Im continuously loosing weight every week but im not seeing the fat drop from the back of the legs

also, please be critical on my poses. Thanks again!
    Check out our Supplement and Fitness Clothing Line! http://www.beyonddriven.com

Brian Ahlstrom
    IFPA, NGA and PNBA Natural Pro Bodybuilder
    Beyond Driven - www.beyonddriven.com and www.********.com/wearebeyonddriven
    Ahlstrom Fitness Consulting- www.********.com/ahlstromfitnessconsulting
    @YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/AhlstromFitness and http://www.youtube.com/BeyondDriven
    Follow us on Twitter @ahlstromfitness and @werbeyonddriven
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0VNOcV74Es&feature=plcp

fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by str8flexed View Post
    Ryan,
    I think what you have to realize is that with someone like you, who has an imbalance where their upper body leans out far before their legs, but they have bigger legs than upper body, you have to walk a fine line between getting the legs lean enough without sacrificing too much upper body mass. To be quite honest this is something that gets fixed over years, not months. It comes down to being very detailed in the offseason and really keeping in the HIIT cardio. Francisco Montealegre is a perfect example. He used to have a very difficult time getting his legs lean enough. But he absolutely killed his HIIT in the offseason & added significant size to his upper body so that he would have room to lose some if need be in order to get his legs in shape. And now onstage you would never know that he had a problem getting his legs lean enough (see picture).

I think you've worked very hard during this prep but as usual, we all mindf*** ourselves at 4 weeks out, I am guilty of it as well. So I think you need to relax and just focus on being at your all time best and let the chips fall where they may.

-Layne
    ^^^ VERY good advice right here. And I wish I had done that during my off-season (I hate cardio, lol) and I might have had an easier time leaning out my lower half than I do now!!

Next time around, for sure. And like Layne said, everyone kinda freaks out at 4-5 weeks out...just keep your mind clear, do YOUR best, and shame on you if you don't
    ^_^

str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

well it is genetic, but high intensity cardio can increase mitochondrial density & activity in the area you are working (ie legs) and thus lead to a greater capacity to burn fit tissue proximal to that area. It takes a LONG time though for those adaptation to really have a big impact

Thumbs up

Ryan,

-Layne
    I dont know what i would do without you!! Thanks layne for everything you have given me in the past year. I plan to take all the info, advice, help and confidence you have given me and continue to grow and learn....and hopefully take my BB career one step further and enter into the world of natural pros

i should change my sig from team norton to team DR. Norton!!
    BS Kinesiology

**Team Norton 2010**

Originally Posted by Moreps View Post
    Hey Ryan, you look terrific man. No need to stress out at this point. Your legs will get as dialed in as possible come show time. Just keep listening to Dr. Norton and have confidence in yourself!
    Originally Posted by JustNavid View Post
    Ryan, Looking awsome, Im sure those legs will also start showing soon enough! just keep goin bro!
    Thanks guys! I will do my best. I can taste the pizza at the end of the road mMmMm

P.S. LEGS IM GOING TO SERIOUSLY HURT YOU THIS COMING OFFSEASON!! lmao
    BS Kinesiology

**Team Norton 2010**

I dont know what i would do without you!! Thanks layne for everything you have given me in the past year. I plan to take all the info, advice, help and confidence you have given me and continue to grow and learn....and hopefully take my BB career one step further and enter into the world of natural pros

i should change my sig from team norton to team DR. Norton!!
    No problem Ryan, I appreciate you having the confidence in me to help you on your journey. At the end of the day, I don't care about placings so much as I do each person being at their absolute best. You are young and have a bright future.

OoFaP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OoFaP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OoFaP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OoFaP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OoFaP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OoFaP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OoFaP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OoFaP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OoFaP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OoFaP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OoFaP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'd have to say Layne is right about HIIT helping legs stay lean. I only started working legs again about 15 months ago (yes stupid that I stopped) but the previous time I cut without working legs, my upper body got lean and my legs stayed fat. My upper body was probably 10% while my legs were 15%. This time around my legs lose fat just like my upper body and it's probably from working them. I know that's not HIIT related but it just shows that if you don't give a body part attention, your body seems to ignore it in terms of fat loss...for me at least.

No problem Ryan, I appreciate you having the confidence in me to help you on your journey. At the end of the day, I don't care about placings so much as I do each person being at their absolute best. You are young and have a bright future.
    2 weeks to go! I will do my best, thats for sure...i cant disappoint the best, well known and well respected prep coach out there ... now can I.
    BS Kinesiology

**Team Norton 2010**

DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000) DanTheManB is a name known to all. (+5000)
    2 weeks to go! I will do my best, thats for sure...i cant disappoint the best, well known and well respected prep coach out there ... now can I.
    you're doing this for YOU bro...

Originally Posted by DanTheManB View Post
    you're doing this for YOU bro...
    ABSOLUTELY! complete and total self satisfaction! but its nice to have support
    BS Kinesiology

**Team Norton 2010**

Ryan,
    I can assure you that I am just as proud of anyone who works their ass off and gives everything they've got as I am people who win pro cards and national titles.

I am in the business of getting people at their personal bests. Placings mean little to me, I care about placings because I want my clients to have their hard work rewarded, but to me I am more concerned about them being at their all time best; if people are consistently at their all time best, titles and pro cards are going to take care of themselves.

A wise man once said that "when you tried people like people and not dollar signs the money will take care of itself" I believe that same mantra in the context of business and contest prep

Trust me, I'm VERY proud of you man. I just want you to be proud of yourself and your effort.

Ryan,
    I can assure you that I am just as proud of anyone who works their ass off and gives everything they've got as I am people who win pro cards and national titles.

I am in the business of getting people at their personal bests. Placings mean little to me, I care about placings because I want my clients to have their hard work rewarded, but to me I am more concerned about them being at their all time best; if people are consistently at their all time best, titles and pro cards are going to take care of themselves.

A wise man once said that "when you tried people like people and not dollar signs the money will take care of itself" I believe that same mantra in the context of business and contest prep

Trust me, I'm VERY proud of you man. I just want you to be proud of yourself and your effort.
    thanks layne
    BS Kinesiology

**Team Norton 2010**

BaFtub is a name known to all. (+5000) BaFtub is a name known to all. (+5000) BaFtub is a name known to all. (+5000) BaFtub is a name known to all. (+5000) BaFtub is a name known to all. (+5000) BaFtub is a name known to all. (+5000) BaFtub is a name known to all. (+5000) BaFtub is a name known to all. (+5000) BaFtub is a name known to all. (+5000) BaFtub is a name known to all. (+5000) BaFtub is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You look good sir. Look at it this way, I was the complete opposite of you in a sense - my upper leaned out slower than my lower half. Sucks !
    www.youtube.com/flexxinator
    www.3dmusclejourney.com
    www.blogtalkradio.com/nattytalk

Originally Posted by BaFtub View Post
    You look good sir. Look at it this way, I was the complete opposite of you in a sense - my upper leaned out slower than my lower half. Sucks !
    having a lean upper half is nice especially when summer comes, and im all done with my shows....its REAL easy to keep tight in the mid section without alot of work
    BS Kinesiology

**Team Norton 2010**